CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphany Moment

+214
CurlyRosie
MEGAFAITH
blkbeauty2010
bjrenee
RealRootz
Runtinkrun
jusnappturallybeautiful
Sebastain13
naturallyme09
naturallynola
ladybug
Emartini04
CurlsofGlory
hurjurnee
BrownSkinDiva
bludini1
Renny
courtrhapsody
letha
willi77
LuvMeLuvMyFro
myyeartobe
lovesunshine17
MochaBella
kas3
Kalamari
MsCurlyBella
BreezyBaby
PeaceLove&Freckles:)
olive_honey
JoyCurl
MCE
hazeleyed89
IvyCurls
sam1082
desma natural in combat
nobelle
hairnfashionluvakj
jamaicacurl
MissCurly
HoneynBrown
AugustRae
divadr175
muffinlove
dimples70
Queenofthe4s
CurlyPhD
DeeLovely79
KeishaMac
UrbanDesire
lil_xelle
ashleystyle
CurlyCaramelCutie
Starquinte
natural_nance
curlypants
Magnoliagirl21
cdhar2
Sunni J
Nutmeg
DivaDel
MeelaJ
teri-teri-boberry
ChiChi10
Rock'n Natural Curls
MeekMonique
kichca
chisellecouture
ColdDiva
beauTifulcurls
au natural girl
Najural
Leila
aBailey
akaprincess00
scwoods91
Honeydew1014
Nat
Newlycoily2857
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
crvng4mr
raina
theprfktangel
Blackbeauty
splitsun
2bnatural
Naturalsince2005
Lynnnoni
gammainme
Delta87
angelina
kinkylover!
healthyhead
junebug
makeupvixen
KinkySheaPT
BlueMonday12
lofomia
eatmydessertfirst
joy.242
terry:-)
princess_cc
sweetnat
sharanda
BellaBell
curlycaramelo
AfrikanLatina
luvleelox
Mini
IslandPrincess
nerdography
emalveauxmalena
ChrsLvsBks
naturalbeauty
Meeka4c
PoisonIvy
shayladu
lmcgregor
Curl-a-licious
prettypoodle4
AllNaturalBeauty
Succinctlyso
heavenlyhummingbird
Beautique
Fullcomplexity
mamatai76
ucarroll
200AndOne
KinkyWindyPeach
robinlouise
KeetaRay
leesh143
zanii0506
Little Miss
lacesonia
asatrudiva
AfroButtafly
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
mskim1272
svrbrownsuga
leightred
Nappturall
angeliquej
SureIstra
melbelle81
hesfaithful
Blackmagicrose
NaturalTata
charlottea
Hollis
NappyChronicles
readyseteat
Serenity23
afroness
KiNkYnEsT
tiannaej
gaysha
D-Lish
loveself247
Highnotes
BostonMaria
CurlyDoesIt...
mskdempster
melyvette32
kinksncoils
sunyblack
missmoriah
rebelrocks
Vainity
Marche'
natural essence
ty
niknak19
mothereartha
Olive-Green
naturallady
CocaColaCutie
truet
naturalbeauty02
NewRibena
DivaDee501
naturalnubian13
IF IT COMES nATURAL
curiouslovechild
Tish
KreyolKatt
NubieNatty
cherry
Sharz
Dricka
Eneirda
xoxo_sam
d.denise
TerraD
dajewel
Lanamarie
KristyKaiyoot
Pi*Jay
missdmalex
CurlyBeauty
Skeeta
Jonezy
aleasea
CoarseDame
StacyWash
areliasjourney
Miz B
p_nuttie43
tiashaunteé
pulchri2dinous
nappibutterfli
*CurlyNikki*
218 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 9 Empty Re: Epiphany Moment

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 7th December 2009, 4:00 pm

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

I honestly cannot say that I had a sudden intuitive leap of understanding, especially through an ordinary but striking occurrence regarding my hair. I have always had as many people felt the need to tell me and still tell me “good hair”. I went natural the first time at when I was twenty years old. I was dating a guy and one of his friends was natural and she was very proud of her natural hair. It was beautiful. I secretly wanted to emulate her style but my boyfriend at the time wasn’t having it. Needless toward the end of that relationship I no longer cared what he thought and I took the plunge and cut it off. I loved the freedom of natural hair and how people just refused to believe that this was my hair naturally, the way it grows out of my head with nothing added. When I met my husband I was sporting a twa and he loved it (actually his hair was longer than mine when we were dating). After two years of sporting an unapologetic afro I gave in to the in-laws. I was never told by them directly that they didn’t like my hair but things like “you look so nice when you have the straight weave in” and “have you ever relaxed your hair” began to weigh on me. So, I relaxed my hair and hated everyday of it. I had it relaxed for about a year and each month it got shorter and shorter because I was cutting it off, inching my way back to the natural me. After sporting a short cut for about two months I got my hair braided. After removing the braids I took the clippers and went straight down the middle of my head. My husband walked in and saw what I was doing and finished the job for me. He seemed to be relieved because I constantly complained to him about my relaxed hair. He didn’t understand why I relaxed it anyway. I wish I could say that is the end that my love for the natural me has been abounding ever since but “no soup for you!” After cutting my hair for the second time I still had the urge to wear weaves which, in it self I see nothing wrong with, but my style choice was not healthy for my hair. I would choose styles that would require a portion of my hair to be left out. And what do you do with to natural hair to make it match silky straight hair extensions? You flat iron it or hot comb it and with this one particular style I sported I flat ironed everyday. The result? The curl pattern in the front of my hair was almost completely nonexistence. I recently big chopped again and I think now I am starting to understand that taking care of my natural hair means more than just staying away from relaxers. So, for me the decision to go natural was more if a gradual process. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by willi77 14th October 2010, 2:51 pm

I finally wanted to do something unselfish for my hair. Let it be free and healthy. Going natural is the only true way to do it. I'm transitioning and after my last perm in May, I just knew it was time...I'm looking forward to my future natural life, so far I've learned so much and I can't wait to have a full head of coils.

willi77

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th October 2010, 5:00 pm

For me it was the fact that the women in the family the older they get the thinner their hair becomes to where they are almost bald and I wanted to stop that hopefully by transitioning to natural.. It was kind of a decision to where It was not gradual and I had a steamer and I was at 13 weeks post and I decide to use it this particular weekend and my NG was so soft that I didn't have to use a leave in to detangle my hair and that day I said you know what I think I can transition to natural as long as I have my steamer Very Happy I am still hanging in there
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 14th October 2010, 5:09 pm

I stopped relaxing when I got pregnant for health reasons, but that was not when I decided to go natural.

I hated dealing with my "nappy" hair throughout my pregnancy, and on top of the bloat and weight gain I felt horribly ugly. I used weaves and braids to get by, along with going to the hair dresser all the time and sitting in the chair being hot to maintain my look without relaxing.

After the baby I ran to the hairdresser. My mom brought the baby with me when she was a few weeks old and sat with her out in the mall in case I needed to nurse her. After going back to a normal relaxing routine, my hair looked AWFUL. It was so unhealthy, it was like the hormonal hair loss post pregnancy and the chemicals was just too much. Not to mention me relying on weave pony tails way too much because I was tired and busy with the baby. It caused bad breakage.

So I started wearing braids and weaves because my own hair looked so rough. So I just kept putting off the relaxer, figuring it was bad for my hair anyway in it's fragile state. I didn't really decide I was transitioning until about halfway through the process. I started reading online forums and watching you tube and I eventually got the courage to BC.

The other reason I decided to go natural was for my daughter. I heard people make comments about her hair as a baby when it started to kink and when it wasn't very long by her first birthday and it made me crazy. She is perfect the way she is, and I wanted to model that for her. So becoming a mom, both physically and emotionally, made me become a natural. And I love it! Once I learned to embrace it I have never loved my hair more, and I never got compliments on my relaxed hair like I get now.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 14th October 2010, 11:36 pm

My hair has been breaking off for years. I wore braids and Kinky Twist most of the time. Finally this last time I took out my twist, my hair was down to about three inches long in the front and crown. I was not going to have any hair. I was so depressed, but I had no idea what to do. I abused my hair in those braids. No oils, no covering at night, no washing or conditioning. I had no idea. All I did was spray braid spray on it the first week. Totally retarded.

My best friend (has sisterlocs) suggested I go natural and I asked, "What do you mean?" and she explained what that meant and told me I was almost there anyway because I hadn't had a perm in forever. Her mother (another natural) twisted my hair on perm rods and the next day when I took them out I was in love. I got on Youtube and learned all about what being natural was and I was in more love. I transistioned for 3 months. I hadn't had a perm in over a year so I had about 5 inches of hair when I chopped. Best decision I've made in forever.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th October 2010, 2:08 am

what sparked my thoughts about going natural was the terrible damage i had done to my hair as far as relaxers, color and not to mention or products with horrible additives in them that did not "love" my hair. ugh. so i got fed up with it and i did away with all my hair. Smile sometimes i wish i would've transitioned instead of doing the big chop, but once u do it, it's done Smile

Last edited by Indidiiamond on 15th October 2010, 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 15th October 2010, 10:05 am

My dermatologist made the decision for me after 2 years of denial. "You have scarring alopecia. You cannot relax, color, braid your hair. You will lose it and it won't grow back".
I also have a nice shiny bald spot to remind me when thoughts of relaxing my hair creep into my mind.

Since I have been transistioning (1 Year), I have no shedding/breaking and my dermatologist is all smiles.

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 15th October 2010, 11:10 am

I stumbled upon it by accident, to be honest. My relaxers were too expensive, so my hair dresser suggested getting my hair "blown out". I did that for almost a year and just decided to go natural....thats it
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by hurjurnee 15th October 2010, 11:44 am

The epiphany for me came when I was trying to teach my daughter how to embrace her natural beauty, but whenever she would see me with my relaxed hair, she would say how she wished her hair was 'flat like mommy's'. That broke my heart! I knew that I needed to make a change in the right direction for my household, because I am my daughter's #1 role model. Now, she calls our family "the curly family", and she loves her hair!
hurjurnee
hurjurnee

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsofGlory 22nd October 2010, 7:23 am

I now live in the Netherlands and will probably be overseas for a while(military spouse). We were getting ready for our big move to the netherlands and it was time again for my relaxer. I went to the store to get it and they were out, but I needed one asap so I chose a new kind. It was the same brand, but a botanicals version of the relaxer(didn't think much of it at the time, I actually thought that it would be better) I put it on and suprise....allergic reaction pale . So we wash it out and some hair with it and the next day we see that my hair is gone all along my edges and various patches on my head. So after that traumatizing experience I always made sure to get the same relaxer, problem is they don't sell it here I have to drive 4 hours away to get it. Well I just got feed up and tired of it. So I started researching about going natural. My sister and some women in the church decided to go natural so... I jumped on the bandwagon. It's been 3 months and so far not so bad. I have learned somethings the hard way, but at least I'm learning. Still having a hard time finding a conditioner especially since I can't get a lot of things sent to me, but I am looking into making my own stuff...we'll see Very Happy
CurlsofGlory
CurlsofGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 22nd October 2010, 9:58 am

I went natural because I realized that I should be more honored and proud of my natural mane instead of covering it up with weaves. For a while I was ashamed of my natural curls and did everything I could to cover it up. Even when I was younger I always had some type of problem with my curls and comparing them to everyone else's mane. My favorite lines were: Oh I wish my curls were longer, or I wish my curls were shinier, and I wish my curls were like hers or her over there.

It wasn't until one day I woke up and said to myself "Why are you wearing this synthetic mess in your hair? You have so many problems with your weaves. Listen to your hair. It wants to breathe and flaunt itself to the world." From this day on I will be a natural. No more weaves for me because I have made a commitment to myself that I will no longer compare my curls to others, but be honored for what I already have.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 24th October 2010, 12:03 pm

I had a perm, and I wasn't working out regularly. I hired a personal trainer and my hair was drenched after working out, and I was constantly to hot curling my hair. My hair is thin and all the hot curling just wasn't good. My beautician suggested that I get a partial hair weave. That was working for a couple of months. The last time I had my hair done, my beautician cut off most of my permed hair and then threw this weave on. I was disgusted and pissed off that she cut off the little bit of permed hair that I had, so I decided to look for alternatives on my terms. That's when I discovered the You Tube Natura Hair Community and Curly Nikki. I am so glad I did because my hair is thriving.
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 24th October 2010, 12:20 pm

I have very, very sensitive skin and although I only relaxed about 3 times a year, the process was very painful. I would struggle to allow the relaxer time to straighten (in agony the whole time). Needless to say, I had a very irritated, red scalp with scabs. Well, February, 2010, I was done! I didn't really think of the idea "transitioning" until August and I began to peruse different site to become informed and I am glad I did. What a supportive, welcoming environment this has been!! In the summer, I began to think about it this way--this is the hair God gave me and I am going to work it! Really, I don't have difficult or hard hair and I have curls, except the unruly locks in the crown that are damaged from heat (it is making lots of progress too). So, it has not been a frustrating journey to date.

Here is the other epiphany. I never put 2 plus 2 together about the breakage and rough texture in the immediate crown. Now, it has bee about 5 weeks since I sat under the dryer. Cold weather is approaching, but I will use a protectant, lowest setting possible and sit there only 30 minutes. All in all---these are lessons learned. When you know better, you do better.

I know I will be a long transitioner. My estimate is I have about 18 months to go. With my research and the tips from the wonderful ladies who always share, I expect this to be a pleasant journey! flower

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 24th October 2010, 12:52 pm

Deciding to go natural was a gradual process. I was thinking about going natural after I noticed my hair thinning due to dying it. After my mid back length hair that I tried so hard to keep healthy for many years was damaged due to me wanting a change and deciding to have my hair colored, I decided it was time for a change. I had been researching transitioning during a 2 month stretch but I still decided to relax because I felt I needed to do more research. Finally, after another 2 month stretch I decided I would no longer relax my hair and I would start my natural journey. Curlynikki.com has been a great resource and motivator. It has been 13 MONTHS since I began my natural journey. I am so happy with my decision to go natural and I look forward to continuing my transition and being 100% natural!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 24th October 2010, 6:29 pm

I have been natural before and when I was relaxed I wore my hair short and not transiting wasnt a problem for me
Just before I graduated from college (WSSU) I had put some color in my hair I needed a perm about 2 wks later Immediately after the perm my hair fell out in clumps (perm&color done too close together) I had about 4 -5 patches of hair that was missing I told the girl to cut it all off but she wanted to treat it so I did for about 2 wks but I didnt like having the patches so I went 2 the barber & cut it all off
It was the best thing I could have ever did I love it I have about 3in of new growth I am still working out the kinks of a routine but I dont miss my permed days Before I went natural my daughter had did the BC & we went through this together it definitely has been a wonderful experience We both rely on each other for different things as well as our hair experiences
I dont miss spending all my time & money in the salon at all
Sometimes during the journey I get a little frustrated with what to do with my hair & trying to figure it all out but overall I wouldnt change being on this natural journey.
When I first went natural there were no places for me to get info on how to care for natural hair I just want to say thanks so much for all of the info that I have received from all the beautiful black women here lol!
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by jusnappturallybeautiful 26th October 2010, 6:44 am

What sparked first sparked my interest to go natural was Lauryn Hill. Then I started to see pictures of sistahs with natural hair in one of my favorite hair mags that I used to buy. That's when I decided to take it further and see if they had books in the library (which is one of my favorite pastimes) to do some research on it further and to figure out HOW to care for it once I did decide to go natural. I was elated to find that they did have books on this subject! So I basically did my homework, than decided that natural was best for me. On TOP of the fact that I was tired of my hair just shedding everytime I would comb it or touch it throughout just 1 day. So in conclusion I would have to say it was a light bulb, gradual process for me because I already knew it was right I just wanted to be educated on HOW to care for it in it's natural state since I had never known it before. What a Face
jusnappturallybeautiful
jusnappturallybeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtinkrun 26th October 2010, 1:10 pm

I just got so fed up with my hair one day, i grabbed the razors and I buzzed it.I haven't looked back. I love how random my decision was. And i've been happy every since Smile pretty basic story
Runtinkrun
Runtinkrun

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 9 Empty Leading by example

Post by RealRootz 31st October 2010, 4:27 am

My decision was based upon my response title. while trying to advise my teenage daughter on the benefits of becoming natural and loving yourself "As Is" I became self-convicted when I once looked in the mirror and asked myself: "How can I reinforce the benefits of going natural if I don't lead by example and do the same; thus showing her that I cared that MY hair was getting the care and attention it needed... and thus,the big chop and natural journey hair began. And you know-
it's so cool to do a mother-daughter transitioning,natural journey together- we're a laughing, crying, loving, naturally bonding dynamic duo!

RealRootz

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 9 Empty what sparked me to go natural

Post by bjrenee 31st October 2010, 5:02 am

i decided to go natural really for a lack of a better option my mom wasnt around when i was little to teach me how to style my hair or anything and when i was finally reunited with her she died 5 years later when i was 15 i was raised by my father so of course he couldnt help me learn to style my hair either but i love having my natural wild curly hair i am brand new to this page and i am really happy i found it thank you so much for showing us its ok to let our curls fly free Cool please let me know if you need a product tester

bjrenee

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 31st October 2010, 11:11 pm

I smile and cry when I think about how and why I went natural but it sure has been a journey of self discovery, self love, and new perspectives. I worked a job where I was harassed by a former male co-workers. Every way that I expressed or presented my personality including my long dark silky hair with my various styles was a turn on and his remarks slowly chipped away at my sense of security about my appearance. My confidence was below sea level depression sank in and my hair became a source of shame, guilt, and even fear. The only way I could dodge his remarks was to "de beautify" my mane (what I thought was de beautifying at the time)

At the time I thought I would only transition until I found gainful employment elsewhere and I was sure I would go back to the cream crack. Little did I know that this transition not only was changing who I was on the outside, but also transforming me through and through. After 9 months of head scarfs, bandannas, doo rags, satin bonnets (all of which I wore in public because my hair was the "enemy"/ cause of my abuse and emotional strain) I decided to take my own personal "walk of shame" (this was one of my recovery activities/steps which I was not very pleased about) which turned out to be a surprising yet uncomfortable experience.

I roller set my now two textured hair and sat in the house for hours and contemplated weather or not I would let my hair be seen. I had no where to go so as usual Wal Mart was my destination and upon entering the store someone made a comment about my hair. Not a rude nasty one, but a nice one that resulted in an awkward smile Embarassed .

A bunch of other things happened in the months to follow one of which was a "deal" I made with my therapist to physically style my hair MYSELF every week. Little did I know that she was conditioning (what a word) me to touch, feel, own, embrace, and accept the part of me that was the root (ha... another quirky word choice) of my pain and discomfort. Week after week I would stroll into her office with a whacky do (I am far from a stylist) and week after week I was more confident... I was owning my hair... Hair therapy! afro

My BC was an accidental epiphany moment (I guess thats what you can all it) I spent all of my Saturday morning trying to find a shop where I could walk in and get my ends trimmed. Stumbled into a random salon on the side of the freeway and there stood a different former male co worker who complimented my hair. Instead of feeling weird about a hair remark I just simply said "thank you". He knew a stylist and she has scissors in hand and before she began to trim she asked my why was I holdin on to "this mess" (she was referring to my raggedy permed ends). A year prior I would have been offended and walked out but I wasn't, it made me reflect on how hair so important and unimportant all at once. I BC'd that day

I guess to answer your question it was a forced (by my circumstances) unconscious gradual process, but the best decision I never consciously made. woot! Me (and my hair) are happy, healthy, and in recovery!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 1st November 2010, 12:26 am

My moment started 3 years ago the first time I went natural for 2 years I remember the bond I had with my natural hair
it kept me grounded, happy, and salon free and those very thoughts of freedom was my epiphany moment for me and of course discovering Curly Nkki. com Laughing
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 9 Empty Epihany Moment

Post by CurlyRosie 5th November 2010, 2:38 am

I never wanted a perm! It was forced on me for years! So going natural was me taking back ownership of my hair! But i was kind of scared at first, so i cheated and did a texturizer, convincing myself i was natural. It wasn´t until i stumbled on websites and blogs like curlynikki, that i got the real courage and education to chop it down and start A REAL natural! I struggled and still struggle to get it right....but i´m slowly getting there! But i´m never looking back! I love the fullness and versatility of my natural hair!
CurlyRosie
CurlyRosie

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 8th November 2010, 8:14 pm

I never liked flat hair. I always wanted big crimpy wild hair a al Jodi Watley and Karen White in the 80's. Yes I'm showing my age! I saw Lonice Bonner's book in a bookstore and thought "YES!". Anyways when I went to grad school in an all white town that really gave me that little extra push to just go for it since nobody really cared and certainly wouldn't be unPC enough to say anything about it. It was a fantastic decision. Back then there weren't so many resources but hey it was trial, error, texturize, bc, lock, bc, trial and error again and again. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed doing different things with my hair. I still do. Now, it's kind of "eh" for me since it's not such a mission, but that too is a good thing! I'm at the this is me, this is my hair stage *shrug*.

Ironically my sister in law is a hairdresser. I think my niece thinks I'm crazy since she is always trying to give me relaxed and weave hair advice in her very cute 7 year old way, but lol I understand. Like every little girl she thinks mom knows best (and she should at that age) and so when she starts asking me "auntie why don't you..." I just smile and tell her I like my hair just the way it is.

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by mocha_mom 8th November 2010, 9:42 pm

When my daughter was born..I knew I wanted to be her example of true beauty, I wanted to be her role model. SO, I went natural. For HER, and most importantly for ME.
mocha_mom
mocha_mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtinkrun 9th November 2010, 5:01 pm

You have such a precious daughter! She's gorgeous
Runtinkrun
Runtinkrun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content