CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphany Moment

+214
CurlyRosie
MEGAFAITH
blkbeauty2010
bjrenee
RealRootz
Runtinkrun
jusnappturallybeautiful
Sebastain13
naturallyme09
naturallynola
ladybug
Emartini04
CurlsofGlory
hurjurnee
BrownSkinDiva
bludini1
Renny
courtrhapsody
letha
willi77
LuvMeLuvMyFro
myyeartobe
lovesunshine17
MochaBella
kas3
Kalamari
MsCurlyBella
BreezyBaby
PeaceLove&Freckles:)
olive_honey
JoyCurl
MCE
hazeleyed89
IvyCurls
sam1082
desma natural in combat
nobelle
hairnfashionluvakj
jamaicacurl
MissCurly
HoneynBrown
AugustRae
divadr175
muffinlove
dimples70
Queenofthe4s
CurlyPhD
DeeLovely79
KeishaMac
UrbanDesire
lil_xelle
ashleystyle
CurlyCaramelCutie
Starquinte
natural_nance
curlypants
Magnoliagirl21
cdhar2
Sunni J
Nutmeg
DivaDel
MeelaJ
teri-teri-boberry
ChiChi10
Rock'n Natural Curls
MeekMonique
kichca
chisellecouture
ColdDiva
beauTifulcurls
au natural girl
Najural
Leila
aBailey
akaprincess00
scwoods91
Honeydew1014
Nat
Newlycoily2857
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
crvng4mr
raina
theprfktangel
Blackbeauty
splitsun
2bnatural
Naturalsince2005
Lynnnoni
gammainme
Delta87
angelina
kinkylover!
healthyhead
junebug
makeupvixen
KinkySheaPT
BlueMonday12
lofomia
eatmydessertfirst
joy.242
terry:-)
princess_cc
sweetnat
sharanda
BellaBell
curlycaramelo
AfrikanLatina
luvleelox
Mini
IslandPrincess
nerdography
emalveauxmalena
ChrsLvsBks
naturalbeauty
Meeka4c
PoisonIvy
shayladu
lmcgregor
Curl-a-licious
prettypoodle4
AllNaturalBeauty
Succinctlyso
heavenlyhummingbird
Beautique
Fullcomplexity
mamatai76
ucarroll
200AndOne
KinkyWindyPeach
robinlouise
KeetaRay
leesh143
zanii0506
Little Miss
lacesonia
asatrudiva
AfroButtafly
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
mskim1272
svrbrownsuga
leightred
Nappturall
angeliquej
SureIstra
melbelle81
hesfaithful
Blackmagicrose
NaturalTata
charlottea
Hollis
NappyChronicles
readyseteat
Serenity23
afroness
KiNkYnEsT
tiannaej
gaysha
D-Lish
loveself247
Highnotes
BostonMaria
CurlyDoesIt...
mskdempster
melyvette32
kinksncoils
sunyblack
missmoriah
rebelrocks
Vainity
Marche'
natural essence
ty
niknak19
mothereartha
Olive-Green
naturallady
CocaColaCutie
truet
naturalbeauty02
NewRibena
DivaDee501
naturalnubian13
IF IT COMES nATURAL
curiouslovechild
Tish
KreyolKatt
NubieNatty
cherry
Sharz
Dricka
Eneirda
xoxo_sam
d.denise
TerraD
dajewel
Lanamarie
KristyKaiyoot
Pi*Jay
missdmalex
CurlyBeauty
Skeeta
Jonezy
aleasea
CoarseDame
StacyWash
areliasjourney
Miz B
p_nuttie43
tiashaunteƩ
pulchri2dinous
nappibutterfli
*CurlyNikki*
218 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Re: Epiphany Moment

Post by lmcgregor 6th November 2009, 1:41 pm

The birth of my daughter sparked my decision. She was born with a head a beautiful thick hair and I had to learn quickly how to take care of it. As time went on, I saw how more wonderful her hair became and it made me wonder how my natural texture looked. I also want her to be proud of her hair and I couldn't honestly do that fully if I wasn't doing the same.
lmcgregor
lmcgregor

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Jessicurl Giveaway

Post by shayladu 6th November 2009, 1:44 pm

I am not the natural, my daughter is the natural one Tykeyla is 12 years old and what made me have her go natural........... Well she was 8 when she got her first perm and I took her to a beautician that I actually trusted well it was her 2nd perm and to my surprise I found out later that the beautician was "trying out a new perm on the market that day" and didn't tell anyone well it was styled pretty she had hair down mid back and as I was driving home I kept smelling something so when I got home I took a wif of her hair and I could still smell perm strong in her hair so I immediately got the neutralizing shampoo and washed the rest of the perm out BUT IT WAS TOO LATE the damage was done and as I was washing her hair it was literally coming out by the handfulls. I called a friend who told me to go and buy some IC products to stop the process and I did and it worked. So ... I cried... I was depressed.. and then... I got mad and I said alright NO MORE PERMS FOR HER EVER AGAIN.
She has been natural since she was 9 and I did transition her hair with braids and got pretty good at it. I had regreted ever putting a perm on her hair in the first place she had beautiful hair natural it was laziness and miseducation on my part on how to care for it like so many people on this site and on others.
She has 4a hair and she plays sports and we also exercise as a family and her hair would tend to swell up and then the next day I would flat iron it again and it was recently that I said ok no more heat and I was told about this site. And since I have used the leave in on her hair and she retains moisture and does not get the excessive scalp itch she used to get. We are on our way to beautiful healthy NATURAL HAIR.
She said she never ever wants a perm again and I wanted to know how to properly care for her hair so that I could teach her and so that she will have the CONFIDENCE that she needs to EMBRACE her hair in its natural state and realize and recognize that yes her hair is different from the other kids at school BUT that different is good. I would love to win the Jessicurl giveaway since I am really learning new ways of caring for her hair but even if I don't the wealth of knowledge and information that I get from this site and others to help my daughter to be comfortable with her hair and for her to see that her hair is BEAUTIFUL just like it is well that is just PRICELESS!
p.s. curlynikki thanks for the hair consult you put me in the right direction

shayladu

Back to top Go down

Post by PoisonIvy 6th November 2009, 2:45 pm

My mom made the decision to perm my hair at the age of 8 because she said I was so tender headed but in reality she didn't have the tools and knowledge to take care of my hair like we do now. It was a lightbulb moment for me. My dad has nice soft curly hair, my mom went natural before being natural was cool (I'm talking late 80's/early 90's only because of a jheri curl oops), and my daughter has awesome curly hair. So it just hit me that maybe I might have some decent hair as well. It actually hit me as I was getting permed and I decided that that was going to be my last perm. I LOVE my hair now and wish I would have did this sooner.

PoisonIvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeka4c 6th November 2009, 2:49 pm

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

My hair/scalp has always been to sensitive for relaxers, however I was in denial about this fact for about 18 years or so. About two years ago, I just made the decision I wasn't going to perm anymore. I wore braids for about a year and a half and gradually cut off my straight ends. I've been completely natural for about a year now, and my only regret is that I didnt do it sooner.

Meeka4c

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Jessicurl give away

Post by naturalbeauty 6th November 2009, 2:59 pm

What sparked my decision to go natural was after years and years of people (especially my mom) telling me that I had beautiful hair and that I didn't need a relaxer. I didn't believe them until one day I just decided that I was past the age and stage of my life where I cared what other people thought of my appearance and decided that I wasn't going to get any more relaxers so I could see what others saw. I am very happy to say that 2 years later they were right, my hair in it's natural state is BEAUTIFUL and I will never go back to a relaxer again.
naturalbeauty
naturalbeauty

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Pure Laziness led to No Longer Relaxing

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th November 2009, 3:03 pm

My transition to natural was a slow process. I did not know anything about transitioning or caring for natural hair until this summer.

About nine years ago, I decided I was tired of relaxing my hair. I would typically relax it myself every four to six months. If I saw a new hair trend, I would go to the stylist to see how it was done. One such style was curls using flexi rods.

I realized I could probably go longer without relaxing my hair. I was curious as to my hair’s real texture. I would wear my hair in goddess braids/flat twists then twist outs. I was shampooing my hair every two weeks and then twisting my hair while it was wet. For months at a time, I would get lazy and simply twist all my hair up into a halfhearted French twist or pull it back into a bun. I still have breakage around my hairline from pulling my hair back.

About three years ago, I discovered the flat iron. I would blow fry and then flat iron my hair. I would not keep my hair moisturized—I used Isoplus or KeraCare products on my scalp to help control dandruff. I did not want to have to wash my hair before my two weeks were up because I did not like doing my hair but loved the results. My hair was healthy, thick and grew. I did have terrible dandruff.

I always liked how my hair curled when it was wet. I just could not figure how to keep it curly. In June, I read (cannot recall site) about using conditioner to wash your hair and leaving some of the conditioner in the hair. I did this for a while and would pin my hair up and let it air dry. I soon discovered natural ladies on YouTube, NC and LHCF. I would check out their fotki albums and blogs and learned and am still learning so much. I have been following the CG method since August. I never did the BC. I did, however, cut my hair in September. The back was growing at an angle and the ends were ragged in the front.

I absolutely love my hair, love doing my hair and love trying new things especially conditioners and deep conditioners. I am a PJ thanks to NC, LHCF and the ladies on YouTube. A BIG PLUS is I no longer have dandruff! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty jessicurl giveaway

Post by emalveauxmalena 6th November 2009, 4:00 pm

My decision to go natural was basically unexciting. I was bored with straight hair and wanted to wear more textured looks. My stylist told me the styles I was looking at were not possible with relaxed hair. So I decided to stop relaxing. Then I started looking around on the internet and talking with the few naturals I knew at the time. And I really became interested in all the products and plethora of styles I hadn't heard of. I transistioned for 7 months. It wasn't really planned. I usually wore braids in the summer. I also wore strawsets and braid outs. And when I went home for Christmas break I washed my hair and cut the straight pieces. I had my mom kinda shaped things up for me. I was a salon girl while relaxed so the benefit of being natural is doing my own hair and more of a personal investment. So next month will be 7 years and no regrets.

emalveauxmalena

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Hair Abuse Lead to a Relaxer and My Idea of Beauty Lead Me Back to Natural

Post by nerdography 6th November 2009, 4:09 pm

I had beautiful natural hair until the age of eight. Sadly no one knew how to take care of my hair.

When it was combed it they would just rip through it. I constantly had burns on my ears and neck from the hot comb. And sometimes my mother would get frustrated with my moving around and crying she hit me on top of the head with the comb (not the hot comb) to shut me up.

At eight I begged my mother to get me a relaxer because I was tired of being in pain all the time. My hair did well relaxed I took care of it; it was healthy and grew fast. But I constantly had burned on my scalp and having a relaxer wasn’t enough for my hair to be straightened. I needed a blow dryer and flat iron to get it stick straight and it only lasted for a three days before the wavy would start to come back. It I had known better I would have known that my hair didn’t want to be straight.

But as I got older I was jealous of the other girls who had natural hair. And I always wanted curly hair. But thought that wasn't possible because I had bad hair that didn’t take relaxer well.

My junior year of college I didn't relax my hair as often and my natural hair just grew and I saw tiny corkscrews. I cut of all my relaxed hair and I didn't know how to take care of natural hair and it turned into a big ball of mat. And I ran back and got another relaxer because I couldn't handle having bad hair.

I relaxed for another two years and again saw more pictures of natural hair and decided to give it another go. I did research found products that would help my hair grow and stay healthy. And I found out that 3c/4a hair is very hard to straighten without a lot of effort. I’ve had a few negative comments from people like my father who keeps telling me to do something with my hair, which turns into him being told off. And a co-worker who keeps telling me that my hair is nappy, but that’s fine. Because whenever someone tells me they don’t like my hair or I’m having doubts about transitioning I always think of the poem by Maya Angelou “In and Out”

You freed your braids...
Gave your hair to the breeze
It hummed like a hive of honey bees
I reached in the mass for the sweet honey comb there....
Mmmm...God how I love your hair”

And I after those lines I feel so beautiful. I've been transitioning for eight months now and have I have four inches of healthy hair. I plan on transitioning for three years. Which I know is a long time, but when I chop I want to be able to put my hair into a cute messy bun with little coils and kinks going everywhere. And I’m going to walk into my office and dare someone to tell me that I don’t lot fierce.

Last edited by nerdography on 6th November 2009, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

nerdography

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Typical Horror Story

Post by IslandPrincess 6th November 2009, 4:25 pm

My decision to go natural was made on my own. I suffered from the typical horror story dealing with chemical relaxers AKA The Perm...LOL. I was trying out a new hair stylist and my hair ended up being overprocessed, which resulted in my hair breaking and falling out in patches and clumps. So, I did the fastest and most logical thing to get my hair back to healthy and that was to cut it all off, at least all the permed parts. Since then I haven't looked back, and have been natural. The transition I am in now, is really being "natural". I have been wearing braids and weaves since the incident becuase I just don't know what to do with my hair. I'm tired of this phase in my life and want to be free to truly rock my hair naturally. I really want to be 'happy to be nappy' or free to be naturally me...LOL [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
IslandPrincess
IslandPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mini 6th November 2009, 4:35 pm

My decision to go natural was mostly sparked by curiosity. I had been relaxing for six years and before that my hair had always been blown out or stretched. I was 17 and had no idea what my own hair looked like when left alone.
There was also a side of why should I invest so much time and money for my hair to end up looking bad? I had just started another cycle of breakage after two years of nice hair. My family tried to scare me off telling me it was gonna look bad, but I was like it looks bad anyway, might as well make it free.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty My aha moment...

Post by luvleelox 6th November 2009, 4:45 pm

I will never forget it! It was just another day fighting with my hair...I had just spent all this money at the salon for a superweave and you know how it never looks like it did in the salon the day after...well, I was using products and tools trying to make it all blend because that was/is one of my pet peeves when it comes to wearing weaves...the permed hair and the weave hair does not blend it is not cute! So I am trying to work it out and so frustrated I started crying and I remember looking at myself in the mirror thinking…why am I trying to make my hair do something it was not designed to do? And it hit me…embrace the nappy! Best hair decision I ever made…that week I went to a salon and did the big chop and never looked back!
luvleelox
luvleelox

http://luvleelox-myfroisfierce.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th November 2009, 5:00 pm

My decision to go natural was both a lightbulb moment and a gradual process. One of my majors in undergrad was African American Studies and because of it I gained so much knowledge of self and our past as a people. It wasn't until I got to college that I began researching our history and realized how rich it was albeit sad sometimes. Even after getting in touch with where I came from I still made excuses as to why I couldn't go natural yet. I made several attempts but always went back to the creamy crack.

While in college met my hunny [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and his circle of friends. I had never been around such a conscious group of locd and natural haired, down to earth folks in my life. I attended a university where not a lot of the people looked like me or them. They all attended an HBCU. But it was after getting to know these people, befriending these people, and considering them family that I began taking a look at my hair/self and thinking, " I have to stop making excuses!" Everytime I would say I'm not relaxing my hair anymore my sister and best friend would be like, "Yeah , Okay!" lol I told myself I'm going to graduate from school and be in my sisters wedding and then its a wrap...NO MORE CREAMY CRACK! I kept my word that time and never looked back. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curlycaramelo 6th November 2009, 5:08 pm

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

What sparked my decision to go natural was my favorite aunt/ big sister, whenever I went to the hairdresser she would always say can't they do something different with your hair. It's too straight and I don't like it. She would say I think you look better with your hair curly. After hearing it for the millionth time lol I finally decided to give it a go. At the beginning I wasn't too sure about it. My wash and go didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I had some curl definition on the sides but the back was not curling. I still continued in my journey to care for my hair in its natural state. So in response to the second question it was more a gradual process. I began do look at videos on youtube and that's how I learned the things I know now and came across such wonderful blogs. Funny thing is now I do not like my hair straight. I LOVE my curls!! I discovered curls I didn't know I had. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It is a lot of work and a bit more expensive but I wouldn't go back to my old ways.
curlycaramelo
curlycaramelo

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaBell 6th November 2009, 5:11 pm

It never crossed my mind...then my sister went natural, did the big chop and everything, as her hair began to grow I started to notice a little "hater" in me regarding her fro. Then all of a sudden she had this big foxy brown fro and i said its time. The funny thing is...my hair did not grow in the kinky texture she has to achieve the fro. I'm more curly than kinky. And even though i didn't have her dream hair, my own dream hair is FABULOUS. I love it more and more as it grows and gets stronger. I'm actually sitting under the hair dryer doing my very first henna treatment while reponding to this post. Going natural was one of the best decisions I've ever made for my hair. I just love it!!!
BellaBell
BellaBell

Back to top Go down

Post by sharanda 6th November 2009, 5:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had always been a press and curl girl until 4 yrs ago when I moved to Phoenix. I thought relaxing would be easier than taking 6hrs to wash, condition, flat iron/press my shoulder length thick hair. I regretted my decision the first day when I realized the additional moisture and upkeep needed to keep my hair looking nice. Then came the damage... hair turning reddish, breakage, thinning.. plus I didn't know how to take care of my relaxed hair myself since I was 26 when I got my first relaxer! So this past January I became fed up! I was living in Hawaii and had started wearing wraps on my head so I wouldn't have to do it after hours on the beach. No one there even knew my hair was long because I kept it covered. So one day after trying to detangle my half permed half natural mop on my head, I just starting cutting it off. I new husband started freaking out when he saw me with the scissors (Brittany Sprear's flashback!), but then started helping me cut it so it could be even. I had a few inches of natural growth already, so the posted pic is the very next day. Now I love it and so does my hubby, it's so easy to maintain and I haven't even put heat in my hair since, not even to blow dry. No more excuses for swimming or working out to not mess up my hair!I now have 5 inch (when stretched) two strand twists that I redo every other weekend. I love it because I now live in Palm Springs where its always warm and I can just cowash, add a hair flower and go! Aloha!

sharanda

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetnat 6th November 2009, 5:33 pm

I thought about going natural for many years before I actually did it. My final straw was right after spending $185 at the hair salon to come home with flat lifeless hair. That night i took a pair of scissors and cut away. That was 6 years ago and I have not looked back since.

sweetnat

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty gradual process

Post by princess_cc 6th November 2009, 5:37 pm

There was no real aha moment for me. About five years a go I moved to a new city where the cost of living was higher than I was used to, and I couldn't afford to maintain my relaxer by going to a professional stylist. And I didn't feel comfortable relaxing my own hair. Before I knew it, a year had gone by without getting a relaxer and I just decided to not go back. I'm still learning how to take care of my natural-do, but I'm enjoying the journey. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

princess_cc

Back to top Go down

Post by terry:-) 6th November 2009, 5:41 pm

When I decided to go natural it was definitely a light bulb moment for me. I decided that I was tired of the way that the relaxer was making my hair look and feel. My hair had gone from being thick, full, and long (bsl) to very thin, wiry, dry and damaged chin length. Not to mention the long hours in the salon, the scalp burns, and still never being really satisfied with how my hair turned out. One day while I was looking through some family photo albums I caught a glimpse of what my natural hair looked like only a few years before and I decided enough was enough and I was done with the creamy crack forever! It was the best decision that I've made concerning my hair to date! Although my decision to go natural was very quick my actual transition was long. I never did the big chop because I didn't know what to do with my hair. I was one of those people who never styled my own hair ( the most I did was to put it in a pony tail). I think I rocked a protective bun until all of my hair grew out and I had the relaxer trimmed off little by little. My best friend and fellow natural curly introduced CurlyNikki.com to me early this year and I have to say that having informative forums and communities like this one to learn how to properly care for my natural hair and rock a fly natural style has been a god send!!!;-)

terry:-)

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty JESSICURL GIVEAWAY

Post by joy.242 6th November 2009, 5:49 pm

My decision was borderline. I'd been tired of the results of relaxers for some time. I was tired of my scalp getting burned. I was tired of my hair never being as healthy as I knew it could be. I was tired of paying more... and more... and more money to stylists for results that I was less...and less...and less impressed with. Finally, due to a window of unemployment, I couldn't afford the relaxers anymore. So, I just kept my hair in a french twist and just let it grow. The difference in the health and thickness of my new growth after just a few weeks was what did it for me.

joy.242

Back to top Go down

Post by eatmydessertfirst 6th November 2009, 5:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]My decision to go au naturel came when I got pregnant with my second child about 10 years ago. I had been relaxing my hair since I can't remember when and suddenly found myself desiring to wear an afro of all things. It wasn't so much that desired to go natural I just wanted to wear my hair in an afro. So I tried perm rods but found that they made my curls tighter than I wanted them to be. I then decided to wear it in knots. I would wash and twist it and wear the knots for about two days. When I took them down and fluffed my hair I found that it gave me the look I was going for.

In the process of wearing this afro I stopped relaxing my hair. I noticed that while my hair was growing out I liked the way it looked! I liked the waves that I saw and decided to just let it grow out and go all natural just to see what it would look like. I have to tell you that the length of my hair was to below my shoulders and I DID NOT CUT MY HAIR off to grow it out! When friends commented that I needed to get a touch-up I let them know that I was "growing my hair out". They were stunned at the thought of me cutting off all my hair and to be honest with you so was I! So I didn't! I grew it out for about two years doing the knots and the afto routine. I used no heat on my hair during this process and only co-washed my hair with conditioner. Every now and then I would use my shampoo that I got from my dermatologist for dandruff (it's a great clarifier) but for the most part I only used conditioner. I did not experience any breakage during this process either and the only hair loss that I did have was the normal shedding.

I would rinse my hair nearly everyday with conditioner. Once I was out of the shower I would twist my hair using some sort of hair oil or moisturizer. I would wear the knots for two or three days and then take them down and voila! My hair was a huge beautiful shiny afro! Just what I wanted.

Now ten years later I am still sporting my natural curls and loving it. I love the looks I get from people when I walk into a room and I don't look like anyone else in there (it helps that I'm 5'7" with an ecclectic style and personality and wears 4" heels nearly everyday). I love the fact that wearing my hair natural gives me so many options of what to do with my hair. If I want to wear it straigt I can! If I want to set it I can! If I just want to pull it back into a bun I can! Although one should never say what they will never do I'm pretty confident that unless I'm being held hostage in a foreign country and told to relax my hair I will NEVER relax my beautiful curls again!!
eatmydessertfirst
eatmydessertfirst

http://eatmydessertfirst.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lofomia 6th November 2009, 6:13 pm

An episode of hell date sparked my interest in going natural, lol. I have since forgotten the girls name but she had a fiya fro. I thought about it for a couple of months and November 2007 was my last relaxer. I transitioned until August 1, 2008 and have been au natural ever since. And even though there are "those days" I absolutely love my God-given hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lofomia
lofomia

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

Post by BlueMonday12 6th November 2009, 6:43 pm

What sparked me to go natural was a hair salon visit! I had a 7:00pm appointment and did not get into the stylist's chair until 10:00pm! Needless to say this was on a work night. I didn't get out of the salon until 1:00am and had to get up at 5:00am for work! I immediately thought that there had to be something better than this!!!!

I was telling my story to my co-worker the next day, who wears her hair pressed (which I didn't know...thought it was relexaer). She said to me that I should go natural...she was natural...I was like well, I'm not sure that I want to press my hair...she mentioned that I could be a curly girl... So, I went home, did my research that night and immediately decided that I was going natural!!!!!

I transitioned for 3 months, cut it all off, got in my car, and drove over to my parents and showed them the new me!!! I felt as if I was soaring! I haven't looked back since and am extremely thankful to have found an entire new community to be a part of! It's so refreshing!!!!

The remarkable thing about the entire situation is that I have inspired so many of my friends to do the same...my entire church community has been following in my footsteps!!!!! Every week, someone has BC'd, or is asking me questions!

And the irony of the entire situation???? My co-worker has stopped pressing her hair and is a curly!!!!!

I love it!

BlueMonday12

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 6th November 2009, 6:58 pm

My decision to go natural was kind of forced on me. My husband is in the Navy and in the spring of 2006 we moved from Charleston, SC to Groton, CT. I knew no one in the area that could do relaxers well. So, I took a chance on stylist and the results were a complete disaster. I guess she mixed the chemicals weird because my scalp was on fire within 5 minutes of putting the chemicals in. She convinced me to leave the mixture in just a little bit longer to "make sure the hair is nice and straight." I was almost in tears the burning was so bad! Finally, she took pity on me and rinsed the mixture out and styled my hair, all of which was very painful. Within two days my armpit length hair started falling out by the handfuls! I went to see a doctor and it turned out that I had chemical burns all over my scalp. I had to get my hair cut down to a pixie cut to deal with the massive breakage. I was devastated and cried as I watched my hair fall to the floor as it was being cut. After about 4 months (and several wigs) my scalp finally cleared and I vowed never to get a relaxer ever again! I spent the fall and winter months of 2006 wearing nothing but wigs. I was so ashamed of my hair loss and really didn't know what to do with the new hair growing in. In the January of 2007 I went into micro braids and began the long hard task of growing my hair back out. Earlier this year I finally came out of braids and cried at what I saw. I had my hair again! Healthy, chemical free and I LOVE IT!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Jessicurl Contest

Post by makeupvixen 6th November 2009, 7:02 pm

My decesion to go natural was pretty muched forced on me. I'm a new mom, single, losing my job, with a car note and mortgage. I had to find a way to cut costs so hair care was out. No more going to the salon for a press and deep condition, no more braids, no more luxury. I thought I was missing out until I started trying to find cheap ways to a healthy 4a hair. I found it on CurlyNikki's blog.

I'm not a perm girl, haven't been in about 6 years. Perms destroy my hair. I was just a press girl. Having wavy hair or embrassing my curls wasn't something I thought I could have. I thought I had to have "good hair" in order for my hair to have that wet wavy look to it. Boy was i wrong. I never knew how girls were getting their hair to curl and be thick, plus growing too. So when I discovered CurlyNikki's blog site I was hooked on trying to find something that was ceap and could work for me. My son is now 1 and I just wash my hair when I give him his bath. Before we get out I had some good conditioner to it. While I'm drying my son off and putting him in his PJ's I'm leting my hair dry some. After I put him to sleep I hair a Jamacain Black Castor oil to the roots and some raw Shea Butter to the ends. I twist them in 5 sections, wrap and sleep, after I make some bottles for him to drink the next day, lol.

I happened upon curlynikki back in September of 2009 and I haven't looked back. I have had to use cheap conditioners because I can't afford the good stuff that the other bloggers use. My bottle of conditioner costs about $1.99. My Shea Butter I get from Little Ethipoia in Los Angeles for $5 a pound, it's going to take me months to go through it. I found the castor oil on eBay and got it for a cheap price. I would love to try something else but I just can't afford it.

(Oh and about 4 years ago, all of my hair fell out when i was admitted into the hospital for the 3 herniated discs in my back, the medications took my hair out) So I've been growing my hair ever since then trying to get my length back to bra length. I'm only around chin length now. I hope that going Natural will help me with growth as well.

I have learned to embrass my curls and although it started off as a change because of having no money and a serous lack of funds, I am happy to be nappy. I won't let that jerk that tried to kill me and my son effect the love I have for my son and now myself. Being able to look in the mirror now and seein ME is truly a blessing and I don't need validation from someone that was physically abussive to me and my son.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 5 Empty Best Mistakes

Post by junebug 6th November 2009, 7:43 pm

I made one of the best mistakes in my life, by getting a wave nouveau. I yearned for the nouveau because I saw one of my hairdresser's clients with one, and her hair was beautiful. However....the nouveau completely destroyed my hair!! It shed so badly that I wore wigs and weaves for months thereafter. My hair length went from being to my shoulders to being up to my ears.

When I visited my family down south, my cousin's hairdresser gave me a fabulous short haircut that I rocked for a few months and once the perm began to grow out, I vowed not put any more products in my hair, and I have been natural ever since.

That was 3 years ago, and it has been one of the 'best mistakes of my life'.

junebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next