CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphany Moment

+214
CurlyRosie
MEGAFAITH
blkbeauty2010
bjrenee
RealRootz
Runtinkrun
jusnappturallybeautiful
Sebastain13
naturallyme09
naturallynola
ladybug
Emartini04
CurlsofGlory
hurjurnee
BrownSkinDiva
bludini1
Renny
courtrhapsody
letha
willi77
LuvMeLuvMyFro
myyeartobe
lovesunshine17
MochaBella
kas3
Kalamari
MsCurlyBella
BreezyBaby
PeaceLove&Freckles:)
olive_honey
JoyCurl
MCE
hazeleyed89
IvyCurls
sam1082
desma natural in combat
nobelle
hairnfashionluvakj
jamaicacurl
MissCurly
HoneynBrown
AugustRae
divadr175
muffinlove
dimples70
Queenofthe4s
CurlyPhD
DeeLovely79
KeishaMac
UrbanDesire
lil_xelle
ashleystyle
CurlyCaramelCutie
Starquinte
natural_nance
curlypants
Magnoliagirl21
cdhar2
Sunni J
Nutmeg
DivaDel
MeelaJ
teri-teri-boberry
ChiChi10
Rock'n Natural Curls
MeekMonique
kichca
chisellecouture
ColdDiva
beauTifulcurls
au natural girl
Najural
Leila
aBailey
akaprincess00
scwoods91
Honeydew1014
Nat
Newlycoily2857
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
crvng4mr
raina
theprfktangel
Blackbeauty
splitsun
2bnatural
Naturalsince2005
Lynnnoni
gammainme
Delta87
angelina
kinkylover!
healthyhead
junebug
makeupvixen
KinkySheaPT
BlueMonday12
lofomia
eatmydessertfirst
joy.242
terry:-)
princess_cc
sweetnat
sharanda
BellaBell
curlycaramelo
AfrikanLatina
luvleelox
Mini
IslandPrincess
nerdography
emalveauxmalena
ChrsLvsBks
naturalbeauty
Meeka4c
PoisonIvy
shayladu
lmcgregor
Curl-a-licious
prettypoodle4
AllNaturalBeauty
Succinctlyso
heavenlyhummingbird
Beautique
Fullcomplexity
mamatai76
ucarroll
200AndOne
KinkyWindyPeach
robinlouise
KeetaRay
leesh143
zanii0506
Little Miss
lacesonia
asatrudiva
AfroButtafly
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
mskim1272
svrbrownsuga
leightred
Nappturall
angeliquej
SureIstra
melbelle81
hesfaithful
Blackmagicrose
NaturalTata
charlottea
Hollis
NappyChronicles
readyseteat
Serenity23
afroness
KiNkYnEsT
tiannaej
gaysha
D-Lish
loveself247
Highnotes
BostonMaria
CurlyDoesIt...
mskdempster
melyvette32
kinksncoils
sunyblack
missmoriah
rebelrocks
Vainity
Marche'
natural essence
ty
niknak19
mothereartha
Olive-Green
naturallady
CocaColaCutie
truet
naturalbeauty02
NewRibena
DivaDee501
naturalnubian13
IF IT COMES nATURAL
curiouslovechild
Tish
KreyolKatt
NubieNatty
cherry
Sharz
Dricka
Eneirda
xoxo_sam
d.denise
TerraD
dajewel
Lanamarie
KristyKaiyoot
Pi*Jay
missdmalex
CurlyBeauty
Skeeta
Jonezy
aleasea
CoarseDame
StacyWash
areliasjourney
Miz B
p_nuttie43
tiashaunteé
pulchri2dinous
nappibutterfli
*CurlyNikki*
218 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 6 Empty Why Natural?

Post by healthyhead 6th November 2009, 7:51 pm

I've always been a fan of natural hair, but I loved my long natural hair. I embarked on my healthy hair journey about 2 years ago, trying to achieve long, healthy relaxed hair. I noticed as my hair grew longer it would be healthy looking and full until I would relax it and it would get thin and lifeless after relaxers.

My decision was gradual because for about 6 months before I made the decision I would stretch between relaxers then I wore braids. One of my friends decided she would go natural and I said I would do it with her, then I relapsed on the creamy crack Sad So after my hair was again long and thin, so it was then I decided it would be my last relaxer. Although I haven't big chopped yet, it will be 8 months since my last relaxer Smile I don't plan on relapsing any time soon and I would like to thank all of you ladies for the knowledge and sharing your stories. You all are a great inspiration to women who are transitioning!

healthyhead

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 6 Empty Re: Epiphany Moment

Post by kinkylover! 6th November 2009, 8:30 pm

Well I have 2 major reasons I decided to go natural....

1) I just wanted a change...I had long relaxed hair and reached my goal as for as length and was tired of going to the hair salon waiting for hours to just only have it last for a few weeks (if that).

2) My hair started to break and I was tired of spending booko amount of $$$ to try and fix it. I was very curious about my natural curls so just decided to chop it all off and start over.

Chopped off everything in April 2009 and haven't looked backed since and I'm LOVIN' IT!!!!!

kinkylover!

Back to top Go down

Post by angelina 6th November 2009, 9:31 pm

It was a gradual decision for me to go natural. I got a horrible haircut in Beverly Hills and later got a weave to cover it up as my hair grew out. It bothered me that I didn't feel comfortable enough with my looks to work with a bad haircut. As I wore the weave, I realized that more than ever my natural beauty was hidden by the long, straight, fake hair and I had been masking my natural beauty with a relaxer for years. I then decided that I would grasp my true beauty and remove the weave, exposing the beautiful, natural, healthy hair God blessed me with. It was one of the best decisions I've made to date Smile My confidence is through the roof now and I am truly happy to be me!
angelina
angelina

http://www.angelinallegory.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 6th November 2009, 9:43 pm

Why I decided to go natural. I love big beautiful and healthy hair. I finally realized that the only way I would achieve this was to embrace the hair I was born with in the way God intended it to be. I also have two sons that I want to appreciate the natural beauty of black women starting with their mother.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 6th November 2009, 9:56 pm

Simply put: i wanted long hair. So in the late 90s-early 2000s, you could get that w/weave or braids. So it was braids for me- ALL THE TIME. So naturally my relaxer grew out and when I moved to a new area for college I didnt have the desire to look for a salon and decided I didnt need a perm and I would the rest of my life in braids. Then reality knocked on my edges and that was it for me.
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnnoni 6th November 2009, 10:08 pm

Well, my reason was kneejerkish, but the best kneejerkish decision I ever made!!! I wanted to get a perm, but my hair dresser never called me back. So I put one in myself(which I had done before) and missed a spot in the back. Right then I knew I didn't want to perm my hair anymore. I didn't have the money to get my hair done anyway since all my monies was going towards tuition!!! So I went eight months without a perm. It was actually really great because I worked at a natural food store and could just put it in 2 braids!! I loved it. Then I got tired of dealing with two textures and just cut it off!!! Out of the blue!!! No one liked it. My Uncle said I looked like a boy, my mom said I should've waited, but I loved it!!! It was freeing. It was me. I still struggle with the fact that it doesn't look the way other people want it to look. My mom wants me to pick it out, my job doesn't want me to wear natural hair at all(at least that's how I feel at a black owned company from all the stares and points I get!! Go figure!!) but it's me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks to your site I have options and can discover things about my hair that I would've never thought about. I've been natural for years seven and this past year was the most exciting style wise, I thank you for that. And all of the wonderful curlies that have provided me with so much inspiration!!!! I used to want long flowing hair, and now, I just want a head full of beautiful curls!!!
MUAH
Lynnnoni
Lynnnoni
Lynnnoni

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalsince2005 7th November 2009, 1:14 am

I had my lightbulb moment when I had been at the hair salon for 6+ hour for a wash and style! I had to rush out with dripping wet hair to pick up a pair of shoes from the cobbler. While there, I bumped into this very distinguished older gentleman. He gave me the once over & I tried to explain why I was standng in the repair shop with wet hair. He said, "I hope you didn't pay for that." I knew right then & there that was the last time I would waste my time trying to maintain my relaxed hair. I have been happy ever since!
Naturalsince2005
Naturalsince2005

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 6 Empty Jessicurl giveaway

Post by 2bnatural 7th November 2009, 1:51 am

I've always had hair issues growing up. I pretty much had a push pump AND a shag. My formative years were fine but there was an underlying eroding of my self conscious. I didn't want that for my daughter. She's six now and I will never perm her hair. I didn't want her to question why our hair was different so I went natural. I was 1 yr natural 5/1/09. She notices different hair types but does not think one is better than another. I always instill pride about her hair's uniqueness and versatility. It has been a great experience for me. I'm very confident with my hair and I believe it shows to those around me.

2bnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 7th November 2009, 3:53 am

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

I had several lightbulbs.

The first came to light in May 2009. I was tired of relaxing my hair. My scalp was tender, my hair although gaining length since my last huge chop in 2006 was not as healthy as it used to be and I was losing hair to the front of my scalp.

The second went off in July. I was sitting in the train and looked at the lady across from me and was struck by her mass of black, kinky hair jutting out every which way. It had been so long since I'd seen an afro that I almost asked her to touch it. I felt ashamed by my ignorance. I felt that I had lost my own "hair identity". I felt like a traitor with my relaxed hair. Something had gone wrong. The usual confidence I had was lacking. I yearned for the comforts of my own hair, the experience of learning about it, caring for it and becoming comfortable with what was a natural part of me.

The third occurred in August. I was jealous. I felt jealous of all ethnicities who I know suffer with their own ethnic angst but hair issues wasn't so high on the list. I was jealous of women with natural hair. I was so green with envy that it made me angry that I knew nothing about my own hair nature. I couldn't shake the anger. It bothered me deeply that there was a part of me that was being smothered by my own ideals. And finally, I felt sad when i heard my eight year old sister wanted to relax her hair. I was disappointed that she so strongly influenced by the perm culture, that neither my mother nor I sprouted natural hair to show her that it was nothing to be afraid of, no afro hair superhero to read in comics, no curly haired hanna montana. I wished I could show her that her hair was as versatile as the ones her dolls have. This made my decision clear. I'm going natural to show my sister and other children that our hair, our identity is mind blowing awesome and to inspire others in their curly hair journeys that life on the other side is just as soft, manageable and attractive.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 6 Empty Why I went natural

Post by Blackbeauty 7th November 2009, 5:26 am

I was inspired to go natural because of Deja, my boyfriend's daughter who
is now 7 but was 6 at the time I made my decision. Deja, who is a
beautiful little girl with head full of dark brown kinky curly hair down to her
shoulders used to come home crying to me about how she hated her hair
and wanted her hair to be straight like her friends at school (she was the only girl with natural hair in her class and there were only 2 black girls in her class). Every time she would cry to me I
would reassure her hair is beautiful it's unique & the hair of
queens & princesses of Africa.

One morning she watching me flat
iron my relaxed hair (my usual routine) and she said that "white people
don't have to do that to their hair they just wake up and go, I wish I
had hair like that. Why do I have to have hair like this?" I realize at that moment I was damaging her, even
though I preach to her the beauty of her natural hair, how can I tell
her hair that her hair is beautiful if I don't even want or have it and I abstain
from getting it. Psychologically her watching me straighten my hair
reinforces in her mind that her hair is ugly. So that day I put my flat iron
down and I told Deja to make me a promise. I told her if she promises me that she will never get a relaxer, I promise her I will go natural and show her by my actions not just my words
that having natural hair is beautiful. And since that day I havent had a relaxer and now today, I can proudly say Im 100% natural and I enjoy every moment of it. It's a beautiful thing showing Deja how beautiful OUR hair can be and now more than ever I know she believes me and she loves her kinky curls now. That brings me more joy than anything.
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by theprfktangel 7th November 2009, 11:36 am

I decided to go natural because I wanted to learn how to have the healthiest hair possible, and it would be illogical for me to continue to relax my hair, as it would truly never really be healthy as long as I continued to relax.

theprfktangel

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 7th November 2009, 1:00 pm

my last relaxer was dec 05. I transitioned for one year.and then i had my hair cut into a short bob. I had wanted to go natural since 2000 but I didnt know how, so after 12 weeks i gave in and got a touchup. I just got tired of paying money to get my hair relaxed and not being happy with how it looked when i got home. It would take me 3 weeks before it would look alive, it just looked so flat and lifeless and to me , not to mention the burning irritated scalp and i paid money for this? made no sense at all!
I have never regretted my decision to go natural!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 7th November 2009, 1:19 pm

I decide to become all natural after my bf did it. I had tried twice before and never followed through due to lack of knowledge about care and products. My bf told me about all the different products there are now and a whole heap of information. In my teenage yrs I was addicted to my hair. I always had all the different styles and my hair was as healthy as one's hair could get with a perm. During the 2 times I bc'd I would get to a point where my hair was so thick and had no defined shape that I would revert back to getting a relaxer. This time I wised up. Since I don't have a stylist here where I live for natural hair I transitioned for 18 months before I bc'd. I am now again addicted to my hair and often find it 2am and I am style online looking for more information.

I live in Fl now and in the summers I would want to wear a wash n go but with relaxed hair it would never curl enough for me. Know I can got curly straight and have many more choices. I love it! I have a big personality and have always loved big hair (think Diana Ross)Smile. Now my 13 yr old daughter has decided to transition and we are in hair world together!
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 6 Empty My baby girl

Post by Notthecoolmom 7th November 2009, 3:20 pm

I think my decision to go natural hit me in an instant/gradual moment...if that makes sense. I wanted to learn more about doing my baby's hair...she's 15 months now and then a friend of mine did her BC...I thought about it for a few weeks...did some research and BAM got it chopped off. I'm so happy I did it-little did I know we would need to save money and I would start taking better care of both our hair and our bodies.

I will admit that I had some damage before I did my BC, but I transistioned once before by accident and hated all the "what are you doing with your hair?" comments. With the BC I didn't have a choice but to go forward and see what happened. I can't wait until both my and my baby have BIG hair!
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th November 2009, 8:47 pm

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

I have always thought about going natural when I got older, like in my 50's. Well my thinking was off by about 20 years.

After I had my son, my hair started to change. When my son was about 3 months, my edges came out. My stylist was good at hiding it so I was not too worried about it but when the nape came out a few months later, I started to hate the way my hair looked. The shedding was crazy. Hair would be everywhere, on my clothes, on my baby's clothes, in the sink, on the floor...everywhere. My stylist did a couple of treatments but no change. My stylist told me I had a lot of hair and it was just gonna shedd. I was thinking, "Until when?!, I'm balded" My edges grew back but the shedding continued. I wasnt happy with my hair. It was getting thin too. I was thinking if my stylist doesnt care about my hair, then who will? ME!!! I started to think about going natural.

I posted a status on FB stating I was thinking about going natural. Off course all of natural friends where like GO FOR IT!!! Others were like dont do it, Dont cut all that pretty hair. The best advice I got from that post was to do my research and that's what I did. My research lead me to Nappturality and curlynikki.com.

April 2009 I decided to make a change not only with my hair but to make a lifestyle change. Almost 7 months later, I so grateful and thankful for the decision I made. I went from 172 pounds to 157 pounds and November 9th, I will be 3 months natural.

I just want to thank you Nikki and all the other bloggers and hair forums creators for your contributuions to the natural hair community. You help and encourage others more than you know.

I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Newlycoily2857 7th November 2009, 10:00 pm

The thought of of going natural was defiantly a light bulb moment, I remember it exactly. The summer before I started my sophomore year in highschool I got a Pixie Cut while I was still relaxed. It was really short and cute but after 3 month I wanted something different. Still didn't think about going natural but all I knew was that I wanted long hair. So I was on youtube searching things like "Grow hair faster" or " Grow hair really quick". I found a video of a girl with relaxed hair talking about carols daughter on the side related links, Was a girl who was natural talking carols daughter and about going natural. She said "If you ever thought about going natural for even a second, just hear me out" And she went on saying all the pros of going natural and I went MHMMMM. She was the reason I decided to go natural. I looked at different hair and researched more. I'm so happy that I realized at a young age that there are so many types of beauty and didn't follow everyone else in school because if you don't remember High School is a dog eat dog world.
Newlycoily2857
Newlycoily2857

Back to top Go down

Post by Nat 7th November 2009, 10:05 pm

Actually, I did not decide to go natural because I wanted to "love the natural me". At first I planned to go natural, grow out my hair and then PERM IT because of hair breakage.. How deluded was I?! Lol.. Now I love my natural hair and don't plan on EVER going back!
Nat
Nat

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeydew1014 8th November 2009, 12:31 am

I just made up my mind one day that I was going to grow my perm out. It was pretty easy since I had only permed for 3-4 years, and was natural until 17...so I knew what my texture was. I think I had begun to miss the big poney tails i would rock during the summer. I guess thats it, nothing enlightening, I just missed my REAL hair :-) Thank god those permed hair days are over. It's been six years now.
Honeydew1014
Honeydew1014

http://www.fotki.com/Honeydew1014

Back to top Go down

Post by scwoods91 8th November 2009, 2:20 am

My journey was definitely gradual. I had a ton of breakage from relaxers and I needed to look nice for a trip so I got braids. I kept the braids in for three months and when my roots really started showing I noticed the cool wavy texture of my new growth. I loved it! So I decided that relaxers would no longer be a part of my life anymore. I transitioned for 8 months and BC'd in Dec. 08. At first I balked at the idea of wearing my hair ALL out. But slowly I fell in love with it. Finally when I came to college this fall I noticed so many gorgeous natural of all shades, textures, and hair types! I was inspired to wear my natural hair out of braid/twist extensions and I haven't looked back since. I have learned so much and am continuing to learn everyday.
scwoods91
scwoods91

Back to top Go down

Post by akaprincess00 8th November 2009, 2:36 am

My natural journey was one of exhaustion, intrigue & discovery. I started getting my hair relaxed in elementary school. I've been through so much with my hair but never really thought twice about it's natural state. The most important thing was to make sure I had some hair, period! I've always been an athlete so I've never been one into going to the beauty shop just to sweat it out. As an adult, I got more into going to the beauty shop on the regular basis. It didn't take long for me to get tired of the long waits just for my beautician to do my hair nothing like the pictures I brought. Last summer, I decided I'd see how long I could go without having to go for a retouch. In my protest, I made a trip with friends to Washington, D.C. with friends, one of which has gorgeous dreads. One morning, she schooled me a bit on hair products & started to think natural hair may be the way for me. The rest was history! One year later, I'm a natural newbie trying to find my way! I transitioned for 13 months & I've been a blog & YouTube maniac trying to get my routine down. I BC'd with quite a bit of hair so I was ready to jump in & start experimenting. I love my hair & find myself spending quite a bit of time in the mirror now more than ever before!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Now I take the time to talk to all transitioner when they stop me out & about. Without someone taking me under their wings & encouraging me, I would have never had the courage to go through. My light bulb moment is every time I see it go off for a newbie when I give them tips or they ask to touch my hair. I can't wait to see where this journey leads because I learn something new everyday!
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Post by aBailey 8th November 2009, 2:38 pm

I was going thru the motions of the typical...wash and set every 2 weeks, nails done every other week, eyebrows etc. etc... And then reality me, this was too easy and not only did I look like the prototype for a hoodrich barbie , but I realized that I could do better, be better and live better by loving who I was and rather than chasing what I could be! I said goodbye to creamy crack in november of 2005

WHY LYE about it?? Thats really not YOU!!
aBailey
aBailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leila 8th November 2009, 4:20 pm

My hair decided for me so to speak it hated the relaxer with a passion, my hair would fall out whether i combed it or not. As it got thinner and thinner and i still didnt get a clue. One day i was sitting in the bathroom combing my hair my cousin walked in and said "dang Leila you are getting bald" I guess thats when it clicked that this is not working i have to do something. Believe it or it took me another three years to finally shave my head and start over so to speak. That was in 2006 my hair is longer and healthier but not as thick as it used to be. But thats changing with the monthly henna sessions i try to use all your routine well almost i still have never tried some of your other favorites.

Leila

Back to top Go down

Post by Najural 8th November 2009, 9:16 pm

It took me 4 to 5 years to finally follow through with the decision. The main reason for going natural was for exercising purposes. I served a few years in the U.S. ARMY and the physical training was great, but the daily sweaty, dirty hair was miserable. I would slick back that damp bun and REPORT. Natural hair never crossed my mind back then. It would have been so much easier being able to wash it everyday without any repercussions. Man...if I could go back in time. Once I discharged from the military, I was no longer obligated to exercise. I became a civilian with the opportunity to wear nice clothes with the hairstyle to go along with it. I decided to join the gym to maintain my weight. I would go hard with the gym for 2 or 3 wks and then it was time for a wash or a relaxer. Once I received a fresh hairdo, the gym was no longer part of my daily routine. I fell off every single time; it was beginning to be a bit redundant. All the while I'm eating like my metabolism is in my favor. I also loved the crinkly look after I would remove the micro braids from my hair. I was unable to obtain that look with relaxed hair. I never imagined that I would ever be without a perm. I used to read different forums and fotkis about how the "new naturals" just loved their hair. I honestly did not believe it, nor was I fully convinced that someone could love a head of "nappy" hair that much. Here I am 8mths later in AWE!!! I absolutely am in love with my hair. My biggest regret is waiting 30 yrs. to become a natural diva. I will continue to embrace my hair and let others know what hair experiences they could possibly be missing out on. So...gradual process, yes indeed it was.

Last edited by Najural on 8th November 2009, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical errors; additional reasons)
Najural
Najural

Back to top Go down

Post by au natural girl 8th November 2009, 10:55 pm

My decision to go natural was a journey-- a mental and physical journey-- one of self-acceptance and learning to care for my hair—not just for style but for the health of it. Like a lot of Black little girls, washing and pressing my hair was a weekend routine. Every Saturday night I would wash my hair in preparation for my Sunday morning press and curl. While most of this process is now what I deem unnecessary torture, I LOVED to wash my hair!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I would put the conditioner in and stand in front of the mirror and play with my curls, coils, and kinks for minutes on minutes. I welcomed my long lost friends! But alas, I’d have to rinse out the conditioner and bid my curly mop goodbye.

As a teen I began to have my natural curls, coils, and kinks altered and hidden by various styles but I never forgot the special times I’d have with my Saturday night friends. In 1999, during my senior year in college, I began to experiment with braid-outs on my relaxed hair in an effort to embrace my coily roots. Sometimes this style was received with negative comments or looks but I didn’t care, I loved my semi-natural look. My decision to transition was only a matter of time. In 2000, after undergrad, I was diagnosed with seborrhea dermatitis and though I tried various products I found no relief. I began to spread out the time between my relaxers and touch-ups in order to reduce scalp irritation and sores. I suffered a lot of hair breakage during this period.

Finally, in 2002, when I began graduate school, I met so many women who were rocking their own natural clouds. I was in awe… even jealous (lol)!!! I wanted to know what it would be like to have my old friends back; plus I figured it would be a welcomed relief to having chemicals burn my scalp. While I deeply desired chemical-free hair, I had some apprehension. I had talked about going natural for some time but never seriously considered it until this point. I, like so many women, thought my hair would be unmanageable. Yes, regretfully I admit, I’d bought into the madness that manageable hair was straight or loosely coiled hair.

With a made up mind, I got my last relaxer in May 2003 and started rocking braids while I transitioned my hair and my mind for this journey. Growing my hair was the easiest part, but overcoming deep-rooted notions of beauty was my biggest challenge. I did a lot of soul-searching during this time period. Through the encouragement and support of natural and transitioning friends (wish I’d known about online communities during this period) I transitioned for a full year and finally did the BC in May 2004. I must admit the day I got it cut I felt liberated!!! But shortly after I left the salon I got in the car and took a good long look in the rearview mirror... and began to cry!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was overcome with a wealth of emotion. First off, I thought I looked like a boy-- I was use to long flowing locs and my 3-inch twist-strands were a long way from flowing! But I still maintained a feeling of freedom, freedom in having gone through with it. It took about 3 days for the “new me” (or should I say the “REAL me”) to grow on me. I learned to transcend the unwelcomed comments (and even my family’s lack of acknowledgement). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alas, everyday is a like a childhood Saturday night, expect NOW my friends are here to stay!!! (Only now I need to learn to keep my hands OUT of my hair-- yes I suffer from serious HIA *hands in afro* lol)!!! I’m so happy that I made the decision to reconnect with my natural curls, kinks, and coils!!! My hair and my scalp haven’t been healthier and mentally I’m in a better place!!!

I’ve been natural 5 ½ years and lovin’ it!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
au natural girl
au natural girl

Back to top Go down

Post by beauTifulcurls 9th November 2009, 1:37 am

My decision to go natural resulted from breakage due to permanent color. I really liked the color and am hoping to experiment with color again while natural. I actually didn't get a perm until my senior year of high school. I had always gotten press and curls but got tired of the poofiness that would result if I even thought about sweating. I did notice breakage soon after my initial perms as my APL length hair became shoulder length by the time I went off to college. So 6 years later I decided to ...well didn't really have a choice but to grow my perm out and that was over 2 yrs ago... it'll be 3 yrs in March. I absolutely love and adore my curls. I think this is the healthiest its been and I've learned a lot on managing and keeping it that way. I still straighten my hair in the colder months and get some poofiness but I'm okay with that because at the same time I have so many options as to what I can do.
beauTifulcurls
beauTifulcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next