CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epiphany Moment

+214
CurlyRosie
MEGAFAITH
blkbeauty2010
bjrenee
RealRootz
Runtinkrun
jusnappturallybeautiful
Sebastain13
naturallyme09
naturallynola
ladybug
Emartini04
CurlsofGlory
hurjurnee
BrownSkinDiva
bludini1
Renny
courtrhapsody
letha
willi77
LuvMeLuvMyFro
myyeartobe
lovesunshine17
MochaBella
kas3
Kalamari
MsCurlyBella
BreezyBaby
PeaceLove&Freckles:)
olive_honey
JoyCurl
MCE
hazeleyed89
IvyCurls
sam1082
desma natural in combat
nobelle
hairnfashionluvakj
jamaicacurl
MissCurly
HoneynBrown
AugustRae
divadr175
muffinlove
dimples70
Queenofthe4s
CurlyPhD
DeeLovely79
KeishaMac
UrbanDesire
lil_xelle
ashleystyle
CurlyCaramelCutie
Starquinte
natural_nance
curlypants
Magnoliagirl21
cdhar2
Sunni J
Nutmeg
DivaDel
MeelaJ
teri-teri-boberry
ChiChi10
Rock'n Natural Curls
MeekMonique
kichca
chisellecouture
ColdDiva
beauTifulcurls
au natural girl
Najural
Leila
aBailey
akaprincess00
scwoods91
Honeydew1014
Nat
Newlycoily2857
Lynnieluve
Notthecoolmom
crvng4mr
raina
theprfktangel
Blackbeauty
splitsun
2bnatural
Naturalsince2005
Lynnnoni
gammainme
Delta87
angelina
kinkylover!
healthyhead
junebug
makeupvixen
KinkySheaPT
BlueMonday12
lofomia
eatmydessertfirst
joy.242
terry:-)
princess_cc
sweetnat
sharanda
BellaBell
curlycaramelo
AfrikanLatina
luvleelox
Mini
IslandPrincess
nerdography
emalveauxmalena
ChrsLvsBks
naturalbeauty
Meeka4c
PoisonIvy
shayladu
lmcgregor
Curl-a-licious
prettypoodle4
AllNaturalBeauty
Succinctlyso
heavenlyhummingbird
Beautique
Fullcomplexity
mamatai76
ucarroll
200AndOne
KinkyWindyPeach
robinlouise
KeetaRay
leesh143
zanii0506
Little Miss
lacesonia
asatrudiva
AfroButtafly
MahoganyCurls
Intelligentbeauty
mskim1272
svrbrownsuga
leightred
Nappturall
angeliquej
SureIstra
melbelle81
hesfaithful
Blackmagicrose
NaturalTata
charlottea
Hollis
NappyChronicles
readyseteat
Serenity23
afroness
KiNkYnEsT
tiannaej
gaysha
D-Lish
loveself247
Highnotes
BostonMaria
CurlyDoesIt...
mskdempster
melyvette32
kinksncoils
sunyblack
missmoriah
rebelrocks
Vainity
Marche'
natural essence
ty
niknak19
mothereartha
Olive-Green
naturallady
CocaColaCutie
truet
naturalbeauty02
NewRibena
DivaDee501
naturalnubian13
IF IT COMES nATURAL
curiouslovechild
Tish
KreyolKatt
NubieNatty
cherry
Sharz
Dricka
Eneirda
xoxo_sam
d.denise
TerraD
dajewel
Lanamarie
KristyKaiyoot
Pi*Jay
missdmalex
CurlyBeauty
Skeeta
Jonezy
aleasea
CoarseDame
StacyWash
areliasjourney
Miz B
p_nuttie43
tiashaunteƩ
pulchri2dinous
nappibutterfli
*CurlyNikki*
218 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty Jessicurl Giveaway

Post by muffinlove 10th November 2009, 6:41 pm

What prompted me to go natural? Reclaiming my freedom! I no longer concern myself with hair contraints that women of color (especially women of African descent) have been told that we have to follow. You must have straight hair, it must be this or that. And sadly women of color get this message from other people of African descent (i.e. friends, family, significant others, co-workers) shoved down their throats. I came to a point 10 years ago where I embraced the fact that I am a grown- a#* women and will do what I want to do with my hur! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

muffinlove

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty Re: Epiphany Moment

Post by divadr175 10th November 2009, 7:46 pm

Short answer- My beautiful sister's twist outs along with two cousins rockin' some amazing fros last Christmas sparked my thoughts of going natural. But I think it's been a growing idea for several years as I watched my sister's hair grow thicker and longer than ever before. Thanks sis!
divadr175
divadr175

Back to top Go down

Post by AugustRae 11th November 2009, 12:17 am

In actuality, I tried to go natural in high school. I learned how to braid and twist, but I didn't know enough about natural hair care in order to keep up the regimen. It was something really new for me. My mother had been relaxing my hair since I was about 7 and it was our bonding time.
So, in 2004 me and one of my good friends decided to make a pact. I noticed that my hair was thinning and breaking off and she had similar problems, so we haven't had a relaxer since. It was so much easier to have a buddy doing it with me, because although we didn't have the same hair texture we were able to face it together.
We never did the big chop, we just got the relaxed ends cut off as our hair grew. Needless to say, I'm still a product junkie. lol
Back to my story, It was one of the best decisions we ever made. I encourage as many women as possible to be natural. I myself never really had a choice, so try something new and love your natural hair. I love the compliments and would never go back to a relaxer. My scalp could never handle the harsh chemicals.

AugustRae

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneynBrown 11th November 2009, 10:55 am

Q: What sparked my decision to go natural?
a: I loved how women and men can just rock their unaltered hair strands so confidentially with out worrying about what people say. Also my relaxed hair was as sad as my self-esteem, fallling out from the roots, and breaking off. I knew one day I would HAVE TO ditch the chemicals.

Q: Was there a lightbulb moment for you or was it more of a gradual process?
A: No, I put in alot of thought into this. This is a sort of lifestyle change for me. I was the one who was going to have to detangle and fuss and love my hair.
I started out with microbraids for 3 months, i flat ironed for 4 months. When I actually bc'ed, i was fed up with maintaining the straight and sleek standard. Thats when I let my inner "nappyness prevail"!

Last edited by HoneynBrown on 11th November 2009, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell-check)

HoneynBrown

http://www.myspace.com/goldengoddess

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 11th November 2009, 2:12 pm

I wish I could say my journey to natural hair was my own idea but actually my stylist was the one who said I didn't need a relaxer anymore. We decided to stop relaxing my full head and just doing a halo (relaxing the edges). My stylist would just wash, condition, and then blow dry and flat iron my hair every week. Once every couple of months she would relax the edges. My edges have always been a different texture then the rest of my hair. I went along with this process because all I cared about was having straight hair and if she could do that without chemicals that was fine with me.

I didn't really have a typical transition period because during that whole time I never took care of my own hair. It was almost as if the transition happened over night. The good thing was my stylist really took care of my hair because I didnt experience any breakage. I never really started taking care of my own hair until I moved and could no longer visit my stylist. I tried finding salons in my area that could straighten my hair but all they did was try to convince me to relax my hair, but at that point I knew I didnt want to relax anymore not even the edges. It didnt make sense because my hair could be straight without chemicals.

Secretly I always loved big curly hair that I would see on models and other women. Even when I was relaxed I would do braidouts to try and get my hair to look like that. Its weird because while being relaxed I knew it was time for a touch-up when my roots would start to get wavy and curly but I never thought about how my natural hair would look with no chemicals or straightening. Long story short I finally found a Dominican salon who straightened my hair without hasseling me to get a relaxer. Periodically I thought about having a curly look too but wasn't sure if or how I could.
One day after she washed my hair I started looking in the mirror at my wet curly hair and asked if there was a way to keep it like this when it dried. She explained to me that with some gel and conditioner this could be accomplished. This began my wash n go period. Which led to other crazy hair experiments . I really had no clue how to care for natural hair.

It wasn't until I met another natural at work that I learned about natural hair care. She told me about her journey and websites like naturallycurly.com Then I really became intrigued with my natural hair and how to care for it. It became an obsession and also a releif because it saved me money. No more going to the salon ever week. Now 5 years later I dont really straighten anymore and I have healthy natural hair that I take care of myself.
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 11th November 2009, 5:10 pm

I decided to embrace my natural curls and stop frying it with heat sources because:
1- I wanted to learn how to care for my curls and make them look as good as other curlies I've seen
2- I was tired of being a slave to my hair! Not working out or doing things that would sweat the straightness out.

All my life the only way I knew to do my hair was to blow dry and straighten with a curling iron or flat iron so that's what I did.....every week! I wore my hair curly for maybe 2 or 3 days at a time in between sometimes but it was always pulled back. Esp since my mom and grandmother always made negative comments about me wearing my hair curly. Those words always stuck in my head.

One day (I think it comes with being in your 30's) I decided that I like my hair curly and would like to rock it if I could make it look better. I decided that I didn't care what anyone said or thought, including my mother (which was big for me) but being that she lives in a different state it made it easier. My husband likes my hair curly and I didn't really pay that much attention to the friends I have who wear their hair natural. So I turn to them for ideas and we support and encourage each other.

I haven't straightened my hair since August and although the transition was tough in the beginning, I'm glad that I haven't given in to the pressure or frustration. I now get more compliments than ever about my curly hair, especially from men! Not that I'm looking for attention from them because I'm happily married, but I guess I always thought they preferred the long straight hair.

I'm happy. Beauty does not lie solely in my hair and certainly not in my straight hair. It's beautiful because it's mine Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty JESSICURL GIVEAWAY

Post by hairnfashionluvakj 11th November 2009, 5:18 pm

Ummmm....going natural for me was more of a gradual process. I first got a perm when I was in like 5th grade, I begged my mother, I wish she would've said no! But of course I wanted what everybody else had, to wear my hair down whenever I wanted and for it to be bone straight. My mother pretty much always let me get what I want, I will not let my kids get a perm as long as they are under my roof! My hair never did react well with perm, but I kept getting them until the summer before my senior year in high school. My decision to go natural was sparked by my sister, my mother, and my aunt. All of them are natural. Between my mother and aunt scaring me to death about my hair falling out in the sink or the perm eating my scalp up, I came over to the natural side. I also wanted the versitality that natural hair gives you. I have been transitioning for about 16 months, and I'm going to cut off the rest of my permed ends over Christmas break and I can't wait! I love the way my new growth curls up, the softness of it, and how healthy it is! I'm counting down the days until Christmas Break, when I will do the big "BC"! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

hairnfashionluvakj

Back to top Go down

Post by nobelle 11th November 2009, 7:40 pm

My decision to go natural was more of a gradual process. I'd always wondered what my hair texture was really like...and I even once tried to get the 'curly look' by braiding my relaxed hair. Unfortunately, my relaxed hair was BONE STRAIGHT, so I never really experienced the curls I wanted. Then, one day I just decided to stop relaxing my hair, and three years later, I couldn't be happier!
nobelle
nobelle

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty My Decision To Go Natural

Post by desma natural in combat 11th November 2009, 8:08 pm

I've been natural since 2001 and I've always wanted to make the transistion since my mother and sisters had been natural for years. I loved how they embraced their natural texture and how beautiful their hair was. I was scared to take the plunge because I was always the "best friend" to the light skinned long hair pretty girls. It wasn't that I didn't feel pretty, but I always felt left out (my sisters are years older than me) around my family and a tag along with my pretty light skinned girlfriends. The bruthas wanted to date them not me, take them to the movies or to eat, but wanted "something" else from me. My sisters are both lighter than me, and their hair, not as course as mine (4b here!). I spent a couple of years in college going thru the same thing I grew up with and after my sophmore year, I withdrew from school and joined the Army. But, even though I didn't have long straight hair, I never really learned how to take care of my short, broken, over processed hair and after a few months in Germany (my first duty station) my hair started breaking more and more. After about a year, I started micro braiding my hair (that was 1992) to keep from going bald, and then all of a sudden, I started to feel pretty and the bruthas did too! So I would have my hair braided every two months in between relaxers scared that someone, anyone would see my real hair. One day, when I was home on leave, I was looking at my middle sisters hair, and she was like, "Girl just cut it off! Why are you so scared? You keep it braided anyway!" And I thought......yeah! Instead of putting in chemicals, which I never really learned how to take care of, I'll just do it.
So, 2001, was the BC and up until I deployed in 06, I kept micro braiding every two months and two strand twisted while I was in Iraq. I've never regretted going natural, and I feel just as pretty without the chemicals! Well, I'm heading back to Iraq on Monday, and I'm sooooo happy to have found curlynikki! I now know how to take better care of my natural hair!
WOW! Thanks for letting me spend some time on the couch! I really needed it!

Much Love!

Desma

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by desma on 11th November 2009, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To post a picture)

desma natural in combat

http://naturalsistaincombat.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sam1082 11th November 2009, 10:59 pm

You'll have to forgive me for this being relativly short, but I am laid up in the crib with a NASTY flu (not Swine, just regular ol' American flu). Thank goodness I had 2day off work.

Hmmm...I went natural b/c I was in school, and didn't really have access to perms. I noticed that my hair was thin, and I thought, "hey maybe it's because I keep perming my hair!" So both of those combined to make me switch. I wasn't a healthy natural though. I would hot comb my hair everyday (sometimes 2x a day) because I had found a spectacular style (hot comb straight w/pink lotion, put in a high ponytail, then take it out a couple hours later, shake it out, and voila! nice big soft waves, and if it was humid, my hair would shrink into big shirley temple curls which still looked hot!) I did that for about 5/6 years (with a perm in between after graduation), with tons of breakage, but my hair didn't look thin anymore, so I was happy!

Fast forward to last year, when Nikki put me on not using heat, and pointed me to NC.com, and so far for a year, I've been natural w/no heat. The only negative is that I still haven't found anything that will disguise my thin/fine hair. Had some luck w/ wash/gos, but since it's cold now in the Chi, I can't do that anymore! So in addition to wanting to win this package of products, I'm definitely looking for ways to style my hair that don't involve showing my scalp off to the world lol If you know of anything, point me in the right direction! =)

Oh and congrats Nik for the Tyra gig! Yo GO girl! =)

Happy Veterans Day!

(So random and off topic, but isn't it like clear to everyone and their mom that Nicole is clearly going to win Top Model? When has she not taken a great picture? They should've ended the show weeks ago and just gave her the job lol) ...going back to my Nyquil & OJ now lol =)
sam1082
sam1082

Back to top Go down

Post by IvyCurls 11th November 2009, 11:12 pm

Well my decision to go natural was gradual and not gradual lol.

Last year I started college at a prestigious north eastern university...and it was horrible. That's not an exaggeration at all, I just wasn't prepared for everything that went along with it, I had never even left home before. I didn't realize how much it took and I struggled and at points I failed. I felt like everyone was running for the finish line and I didn't even realize that there was a race going on. I had worked so hard to get here only to arrive and discover that I was failing. Everyone around me seemed to be in another league, while I was just that ghetto girl from the Bronx.

Well I've never been one to wallow in self-pity, so I managed to salvage my first semester and when I got home I had to take a hard look at myself. I had to find my center, dig deep and ask myself what did I want from this experience, what did I want to accomplish at college? In the end I remembered that I hadn't gotten to where I was by concerning myself with what people around me were doing and I wouldn't get to the next step by doing that either. Yes it was a race, but I had to run it on my terms, I had to play by my rules.

So this summer I was extremely excited to get back on campus. LOL, I felt like a boxer that had been granted a rematch, outside the ring throwing jabs, yes lets go I was ready to start my second year and do it right! I was going to take on the competition and I was going to do it my way! And of course presentation is half the battle, so I began to think about what to do with my hair. I immediately knew that I wasn't feeling the relaxer anymore, I have been relaxing my hair since I was in the 3rd grade. It just wasn't me, it didn't reflect what I was feeling. Those straight locks looked too flat to me, they didn't reflect the edginess that I was feeling, they didn't have enough attitude, enough oomph! Forget blending in, I was ready to play by my rules, I WANTED TO STAND OUT!! I decided to start researching weaves and extensions but there was something about it that just didn't appeal to me. While researching weaves on the internet (I had never done one before and was trying to convince myself, lol) I came across some blogs about natural hair. When I came across Curlynikki, that was it. As soon as I saw it, it was like a lightbulb moment. I thought YES, thats it, thats what i'm looking for! It was different, it was bold, it was beautiful, it was perfect.

I thought to myself, hell if my hair could look like that why would I need a relaxer? I needed hair with attitude, character, something that would make waves. Lol and that is definitely what has happened. I've been transitioning since August and I just cut off some of my relaxed ends in October. My naturally straight haired roommates...lol, are so confused. Everyweek I try a new natural style and they look at me in wonder and remark on how different my hair looks. Transitioning is hard, but when I walk into class people immediately see me, and when I answer a question they KNOW that I am serious about my grind!

My college experience has improved by leaps and bounds, and I know that making the decision to go natural was definitely a factor in that. I'm ready to be bold, embrace my differences, and walk with that confidence that only a natural can. So, really going natural was just a logical choice considering all that, lol!

Relaxed girls just don't have this swagger, lol! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
IvyCurls
IvyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by hazeleyed89 12th November 2009, 3:48 am

My decision to go natural was sparked by my desire to be happy! I got so sick and tired of not being happy because of it. I was tired of worrying about my hair at the gym, getting caught in the rain, wanting to get in the pool but not being able to because I'd just gotten a relaxer Sad . Those things don't worry me anymore and as weird as it sounds it's made me a lot happier!! I now smile every time I look in the mirror and run my fingers through my hair. Going natural has been by far one of the best decisions I've made. I love/adore/cherish/am grateful for my curls,waves,kinks & coils Smile
hazeleyed89
hazeleyed89

Back to top Go down

Post by MCE 12th November 2009, 11:18 am

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

Hey Nikki,

First let me say that as a University student it is only fitting that I do things on the last day they are due! Also, I always have to have the "issue" written down before I give the "answer"... I cant help it, it is in my DNA now. lol. Well here is my response:

I got my first relaxer the summer before 7th grade because I always wanted to "wear my hair down like other girls" and mom said that was the only way I could. Before that I had always worn pigtails(2) or 3-4 braids that made me look very kiddish and I wanted to blossom into and look more like a cool teen. Also, whenever there was a pool party or day at the public swimming pool, I was the only one who had to wear a swimming cap OR was not allowed in the water PERIOD since mom was not into washing my hair afterwards so I ended up missing out (or so I thought) on a lot of fun childhood activities that to me were the most important things EVER! (Oh, and FYI this is not a mom-bash, this is just what I experienced... I love my mom!)

I had my last relaxer in December of 2001 (11th grade in high school) and was completely natural by graduation (approximately May 2003). My decision to go natural was pretty major considering that I was the only natural afro-textured lady in my family AND was still in high school AND under my parents roof. My first spark of wanting to go natural was looking at other ladies on TV and models in magazines and seeing how beautiful their hair was (other than on BET, I felt like a lot of the ladies I saw in commercials and in magazines were natural). Also, since I had never done my hair myself previously to my first relaxer, I always wanted to see how it "really" was. I only got relaxers around 3-4 times a year so I knew how my little kinks and coils felt when I had new growth but I wanted it to be my entire head! I read up a lot about natural hair and going natural on nappturality.com and then started my journey. I got mom to slowly cut my hair every few months until all of the relaxed ends were gone (right after prom). Before that, in my transition period, I roller-set my hair or blew it out and flat-ironed it until my hair was not "acting the way I wanted it to".

For me the lightbulb moments were
1) realizing that I was going to college in a year and 1/2 and not wanting to be "dependent" on a hair stylist to get a relaxer (I had this BIG THING about being INDEPENDENT which was great! Smile
2) wanting to know what my real texture of my hair is/was
3) not wanting to fuss with heat every time I washed my hair and wanting to just wash and go like other ethnicities did with ease
4) I wanted to love myself for me ENTIRELY and did not want to have one ounce of "fakeness" to me (PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I WAS A STRONG WILLED TEEN). I did not like or wear make-up (other than Prom) and did not want to do what I thought then were things that were not natural and real. (PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I DO NOT THINK THIS WAY NOW...lol).

For me it was not an extremely hard battle with my family. I sat everyone down and spoke to them about the harshness and dangers of relaxers and how I did not want to relax anymore. We had our issues and roadblocks but all in all my family was accepting of my change and just wanted me to look "presentable" which I know... sounds pretty bad right?!?!

Today, although I have been natural for years now, the experimenting never ends! Before I was anti-heat and now about 3-4 times a year I will use heat and blow dry/flat iron my hair to change things up. I view my hair as more of an accessory now that is an extension of who I am. The beauty about 4a/b hair is that it can do ANYTHING you want with some tools, accessories and products. SO ladies I say LOVE YOUR HAIR... we've got it good!

Take care and keep it happy nappy sistas!

MCE

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 12th November 2009, 2:11 pm

What sparked your decision to go natural? Was there a light bulb moment for you, or was it more of a gradual process?

I have had a texturizer ever since I cut my hair short about 9 -10 years ago. I would go to the same stylist religiously every 2 weeks. I used all of the products my stylist recommended but my hair was constantly dry and I had bad dandruff. Every two weeks I would sit in his chair and he would ask me if I moisturized my hair at all. I replied that I have been using the products and followed the routine that he'd given me. He did not believe me. That was the beginning of the end, how can I let someone do my hair who did not believe what I was telling him. I stopped going to him and just let my hair grow out. It was at this time I starting researching natural hair online. Two months later while on a business trip I went to a Hair Cuttery and asked the stylist there to cut off all of my dead ends...I discovered later this was my BC. Since then I've never looked back. My dandruff is gone and my hair has never felt better.
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty What sparked your decision to go natural

Post by olive_honey 12th November 2009, 4:31 pm

I think I finally made the decision to give up the harsh chemicals the day that I heard
my then hair stylist complaining that her hands were very red and irritated after she had
finished applying my relaxer. My scalp would alway burn the same way but I put up with it for many years just to have straight hair. Stylist would tell me it was only because I was very sensitive to the chemicals. I finally came to the realize that all the sores on my scalp following touch-ups was no longer worth it.I even had a few stylist that would tell me that it was my fault that my hair was breaking because I was not consistantly getting my relaxers done and I believe them. I wish I would have thought to discontinue the process after the first time that a stylist didnt throughly remove the relaxer and my hair became very short in the back from the breakage.
I think back to the days of watching "Yo Raps" in the late 1980's and early 1990's sitting at the salon for hours on end while getting my very flyy Jerri Curl and the awful smell & burning from that. Oh those were the days. Interesting that I had no problem back then cutting off all my jerri curl hair so that I could start getting relaxers but I was oh so hesitate to chop it all off so that I could move into being natural. I finally decided to cut it all off
last year while my husband was deployed and at that point begin reading more about the benefits of natural healthy hair. I also began to change the way I shop for groceries for myself and my family especially since diabetes runs in our family. I'm taking care of the inside and the outside
for a healthful and fulfilling life. After my son was diagnose with ashtma I stop using store bought cleaning supplies and began to use safe natural produts for cleaning.
Every morning I have a routine which starts here with Nikki and a few blogs on green living, I then hit the treadmill and watch Wendy Williams and have a spot of green tea. I love searching for ideas and recipes for whipping up my own hair concoctions. My husband loves when I make homemade products for him like foots scrubs and body creams for when he has rough days in the field. I enjoy reading what the other ladies have to say here and their opinions on different products, its truly helpful to me.
Olive ya Nikki, your the bomb!

olive_honey

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty Going Natural

Post by PeaceLove&Freckles:) 12th November 2009, 4:52 pm

I had my last perm in 7th grade, I guess I was thirteen maybe twelve. I hated my mother for it, I cried pouted and stamped my feet. I was convinced I would never have any friends and no boys would ever like me. So that's when my love affair with the flat iron began. I just became strong enough in July of 2008 to break up with it. We may hang out again a few months from now but only as occasional buddies. So far I don't miss him a bit.

PeaceLove&Freckles:)

Back to top Go down

Post by BreezyBaby 12th November 2009, 5:13 pm

I never relaxed my hair, but I decided I was tired of only seeing my hair as being beautiful when it was straight. Straighter = prettier to me.

I realized my main problem was frizz and dryness, so I've been having fun finding different ways to hydrate and define my curls.
BreezyBaby
BreezyBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCurlyBella 12th November 2009, 5:38 pm

One reason I went natural is that I was tired of short hair.

My hair has always grown rather quickly, except for my crown area. It
was always noticeably shorter than the rest of my hair, which was not a
good look. So because of this I would always keep my hair short, add a
track of weave in that area to disguise it, or weave/wig my entire
head. But my mom convinced me that if I would just let go of the
chemicals, then that area would grow nicely - and it has! Thanks Mom

MsCurlyBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalamari 12th November 2009, 6:23 pm

For me, it was my boyfriend. I hated getting relaxers because I got scalp burns all the time and especially right after getting a perm, the way my hair would hang limp and lifeless. That's actually why oftentimes I would mist my hair in the rain or with a spray bottle just so it could poof up a bit more. In any case, I was complaining about all these things with my boyfriend and he's Asian so he had no clue that my hair wasn't naturally straight and he found it appalling that I would do this to myself and especially so often. So he asked me why I didn't just stop if I hated it so much. And I did. It really wasn't any more simple than that. I never disliked natural hair I just never considered it an option until he asked me that question. So it was definitely a lightbulb moment for me and I haven't turned back since. : 3 Here I am now 2 years later, a senior in high school and I couldn't be any happier with my hair
. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kalamari
Kalamari

Back to top Go down

Post by kas3 12th November 2009, 6:33 pm

this is my 4th time going natural and my last....i've been natural since May08. i was so happy to fine blogs like cn and many others..the information has givien me a new life on being natural. back in the days you could not fine any information on helping you along the way, my hair is so healthy, thick and as grown so much, i have gotten so many compliments, there is no way i will ever go back to putting any chemical in my hair. i love the freedom of not sitting in a salon for 3 or more hrs, i can get caught in the rain, my man can touch my hair(lol). im more confident with in myself, i walk straight, tall and proud to be a 100% natural. i always love the look of natural hair on other sisters, that is what spark me to try again

kas3

Back to top Go down

Epiphany Moment - Page 8 Empty JessiCurl Giveaway

Post by MochaBella 12th November 2009, 6:41 pm

Becoming a Mom motivated me to go back to my natural state. My daughter is almost 3 years old now. Part of planning my new life was to find out how I could be the best woman and the best mom. In an effort to do so, I researched if the chemicals found in relaxers could harm my unborn child. Well, I didn't find a definative answer so I went with my gut and said "NO MORE RELAXERS". As I transitioned I started to fall more in love with myself. Now...You can hardly tell me anything...lol. What I mean by that is I LOVE my TRUE self...inside and out. And despite what others may think about me or my hair...I don't care...I don't let it bother me like it used to.

I've found many to be an inspiration to me and I am so grateful to be inspring others.

MochaBella

MochaBella

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 12th November 2009, 6:55 pm

I never intended to go natural until my roommate inspired me last year. I've always had straight relaxed hair since I was 7. At first it was full, thick, and beautiful. But once I hit puberty my hair became much thinner and limp. I hated it but I thought this was the only way I could wear my hair as the only naturals I saw were under the age of 5. So I went through high school and most of college not caring too much for my hair and having a lot of breakage. However things changed my junior year of college. I had just lost some weight and ended up breaking up with my first long-term boyfriend. I guess I had a mini self crisis. I wanted to figure out what I as a person was all about and I wanted to love myself for who I am more. At the time I had also just taken out my weave and hadn't had a relaxer in almost six months. My roommate who was tired of fighting with her long relaxed hair everyday went home and came back with a cute TWA. She started talking to me about natural hair and the chemicals we use to alter our curl patterns. I became intrigued and decided around that time to experiment and go natural. So I started to officially transition. Over the months, taking care of my two textures has really helped me to understand and love myself a lot more, both as the new curly me and the old relaxed me.
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th November 2009, 7:41 pm

FullComplexity is taking home the prize! Check out the post: http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/11/winner-winner-chicken-dinner_12.html

Thanks to all of you for participating...we'll have another giveaway starting next week!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 12th November 2009, 7:53 pm

Because I know my hair will be the healthiest without all the chemicals. Not to mention I am so ready to get back to being who I was created to be and not what society says I should be. After I saw how beautiful women of color looked rocking their natural hair. How thick it was, how curly it was, how healthy it was and how much personality it revealed. I knew I wanted to share in that experience. Plane and simple.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by myyeartobe 7th December 2009, 3:26 pm

Hello Curly Fam:

My WOW moment was in March/April 2009 when my mother was devastated after being diagnosed with discoid lupus. This is a condition that attacks the scalp and promotes hair loss. My mother's hair was always thick, strong, long, and beautiful. There are no tell-tell signs of the diagnosis and it may or may not be genetic. I told her that I would go natural with her, but in the back of my mind...I was thinking how in the world was I going to tame my thick hair without my 10 week touch-ups. My hair is super thick and grows fast so I had no idea how this was going to work, but I was going to be my mom's running mate on this hard time for her. She has done everything for me, so why not! I started researching being natural and then it became apparent that I could do this...GO NATURAL! Why not...it's healthier and it just might save my tresses from the same condition that attacked my mom's hair! I transitioned for exactly 7 months and then had my mother cut it on Thanksgiving Day 2009. It's ironic because when I was cutting my hair, my mother was finally beginning to see all the hair coming back in the bald spots due to natural hair products, NO RELAXERS, and dermatologic treatments. We're both going through our natural journey together and I'm so glad that I can share it with her. I'm happy about my decision, Plus, you save I've saved so much money and time off of your life sitting for hours in the salon on beautiful Saturday afternoons!

myyeartobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next