CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Cleansing Method

+91
yldthng
Ambitious_Tiff
CurlyMo
mick123
JaliseH
crimsonpeach
Ainsleytom
Madeaj
blackice82
coilykinks
aggiegem
EastAfricanCurly
QuirkyCurly
ForeverCurlyCatrina
arjunbarbosa
terrymole
funkyhairchic
SummerSkye
amyleia
Sebastain13
krissyc39
letha
stevenson
cha_phylicia
GodsNaturalBeauti
CiaE
JasLuv
HAMPTONSFNST
FreshNsweeT
CurlyChefRobin
Issie
CocoaDreamee
poeticlyspkng
DvaAuNaturel
cutie_curli
NubbieNaturalNik
TheRYL1
Freeatlast41
drawmuhfree
royanu
Muz
HazelEyes
ladybee84
R2D2
krazy coils
Ms Tavia
70's BabyGirl
iri9109
Juices-n-Berries
FemmeFox
Lynnieluve
Mllebutterfly
tiashaunteé
CurlsGalore
Naturalpenny
SisterBoyd
prymd95
BajanPrincess82
dajewel
Mz. Thang
ChrsLvsBks
Reshon30
Peggy
rosscd
GrowingThere
RoseNaturalBeauty
loveself247
NhappyJackie
kinkylover!
AfroButtafly
curlyq145
MeekMonique
Silkee
NubieNatty
Intelligentbeauty
jamaicacurl
niknak19
quake_19
chocrose
Sunni J
Moni
mojitochica
afroness
sweetnat
cinnamoncurlz
Queen
JoyCurl
*CurlyNikki*
Tam
gammainme
AfrikanLatina
95 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Oil Cleansing Method - Page 6 Empty Re: Oil Cleansing Method

Post by Ms Tavia 12th February 2010, 6:22 pm

Thanks so much...wasnt there a topic on the site somewhere for more terminology? :-)
Ms Tavia
Ms Tavia

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 12th February 2010, 6:32 pm

Ms Tavia wrote:Thanks so much...wasnt there a topic on the site somewhere for more terminology? :-)

Yes, it is here: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/natural-hair-dictionary-detangling-the-terms-t47.htm
The natural terminology is pretty consistent site to site so this should help you out no matter where you are reading
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th February 2010, 12:30 am

tiashauntee wrote:@SisterBoyd: castor oil and almond oil

This is what I use and I've had wonderful results. I have(had) super oily skin and the OCM has helped tremendously. I do 70%almond oil 30% castor oil and a few drops of tea tree oil. I definitely think it depends on the individual. I also do NEEM facial masks a few times a week as well thanks to Courtie. I mix that with aloe vera gel, a few drops of the oils that I mixed for my OCM, and a few drops of water. Its been working great!!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by JoyCurl 14th February 2010, 2:12 pm

In addition to the daily OCM, I've added a weekly bentonite clay mask to my routine and have had great results.
JoyCurl
JoyCurl

http://public.fotki.com/joycurl/

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 14th February 2010, 4:50 pm

Joy, I love my bentonite clay masks...my hair, face, feet, and body loves this stuff! Last week, I had this nasty dry patch on my chin that I get a few times a year. This time was really bad because it was red, hot and painful. I did a lemon juice and sugar scrub and then did the bentonite clay mask and my chin is back to normal today.

Last week when I did my pedi I used the leftover mask on my feet and can we say baby soft. Wonderful!

What are you guys using on the days you're not OCMing? *going back through thread to find out*
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 15th February 2010, 8:17 pm

@SisterBoyd for my OCM I use Castor Oil and Sunflower Oil. On the days that I don't use the OCM I use African Black Soap to cleanse. I still have some bentonite clay which I need to start using again also.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Tavia 15th February 2010, 10:42 pm

What is bentonite clay and where can i find it, or make it, idk?
Im a newbie :-)
Ms Tavia
Ms Tavia

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 15th February 2010, 10:55 pm

Ms Tavia wrote:What is bentonite clay and where can i find it, or make it, idk?
Im a newbie :-)

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/bentonite-clay-t415.htm?highlight=bentonite+clay
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 16th February 2010, 11:31 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying the OCM for a few days but yesterday came out in nasty pus filled pimples on my forehead and chin. I'm someone that sometimes gets pimples but not that bad. I've been using a 25% castor oil and 75% olive oil mix.
I went back to my usual facial soap last night but applied shea butter on my face which seems to have helped a lot with the pimples, they have gone down a lot! I will definitely be sticking with the shea butter.

Just wondering before I give up on OCM is there anything I could try to change i the mix so that it works for me? Maybe I put on too much? Was it too heavy together with the shea butter?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 17th February 2010, 2:12 am

R2D2, if you have oilier skin you can use more castor oil instead of olive oil. I use shea butter as my moisturizer too. Also, depending on the time of the month and if I've been diligent about my masks and scrubs I'll get break outs. If you read through this entire thread you'll see that several of the sisters have experienced breakouts when they first started using this method. It brings the oils to the top of the skin and that might be where your outbreaks are coming from.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 17th February 2010, 6:08 am

Thanks Sisterboyd. I wouldn't describe my skin as particularly oily, more of a T zone combination but with quite a lot of open pores grrr. Perhaps that is the issue. Anyway, I will experiment and try and find a fit that works for me.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybee84 1st March 2010, 1:39 pm

okay ladies I tried this method and I am wondering... WHY Had I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? It is heaven sent. My face is very oily and acne prone so I was a little hesitant to experiment with this method, but I am glad that I did. My face feels smoother and is clearing up nicely. Thank God for this site and the ppl in it for being so informative.

ladybee84

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 1st March 2010, 3:49 pm

I'm happy you like the method LadyBee!

Ladies, here is another video on skin care and OCM...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtw_jk9jZfQ&feature=email
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st March 2010, 4:13 pm

Thanks SB!
Has anyone tried using a moisturizing oil along with their commercial cleanser? I have Aveeno moisturizing face wash and I have mixed some EVOO in it. I just figured it's still a cleanser and a moisturizer...but of course I have to wash that more thoroughly to get the Aveeno off. I then moisturize with a drop or 2 of EVOO.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 1st March 2010, 4:56 pm

ladybee84 wrote:okay ladies I tried this method and I am wondering... WHY Had I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? It is heaven sent. My face is very oily and acne prone so I was a little hesitant to experiment with this method, but I am glad that I did. My face feels smoother and is clearing up nicely. Thank God for this site and the ppl in it for being so informative.

I was hesitant at first too because of my oily skin! Glad its working for you sis.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st March 2010, 7:34 pm

ladybee84 wrote:okay ladies I tried this method and I am wondering... WHY Had I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? It is heaven sent. My face is very oily and acne prone so I was a little hesitant to experiment with this method, but I am glad that I did. My face feels smoother and is clearing up nicely. Thank God for this site and the ppl in it for being so informative.

Which oils are you using? What is your ratio? I keep saying I am gonna try this method and have yet to do it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybee84 12th March 2010, 5:12 pm

@lynnielove I use about 75% castor oil; the other 25% is half vitamin E oil and EVOO. <y mother says that Vitamin E oil is good for blemishes and since I have some blemishes and scaring. I also Use Neutrogena Ageless Intensives. I whipped together my own moisturizer also. Whipped shea butter with a few drops of tea tree oil and vitamin e oil and my fav aloe vera juice. it absorbs into my skin and it feels like heaven i tell you.

@afrikanlatina It has been working for my skin and I am hoping it keeps producing amazing results. However, I'm curious. . . I have been spotting a few blemishes coming up- is this normal? Is this what it is supposed to do- bring the oil/dirt to the surface?

ladybee84

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelEyes 29th March 2010, 2:35 pm

The first thime I tried the OCM I thought I used 75% castor oil and 25% extra virgin olive oil, although I don't know if my measurements were correct. Anyway, it worked very, very good at first, my skin was so soft and I actually saw blackheads being removed. Then I noticed some drying. So I stopped using it, knowing that I would need to change the percentages. Well I was in Whole Foods one day recently and got some Tea Tree Oil (I was told that it works as an astringent) so,

@ladybee84 be careful with using the Tea Tree Oil in your daily moisturizer.

I got the Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba Oil to use as my oils for my OCM. I was told while in Whole Foods that Jojoba Oil acts as our own sebum (oil). So I thought I'd give it a try. Although before I started the OCM the first time my skin was oily now I think it has become normal. This OC Method really works, you just have to find out what works for you.

HazelEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th April 2010, 10:36 pm

Okay, I just tried this. I tend to have dryer skin I used 2 tsp of Castor Oil to 6 Tsp of Olive oil (I didn't put all of that on my face, I put it in a container and then used the quarter sized amount). When I was massaging it in I was feeling grainy stuff. I'm not wowed by this after the first time. What's the soonest I can try it again (I noticed on the site it said not to do it too much). I put on a little Jojoba Oil after I finished rinsing my face. Maybe I didn't do it right?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th April 2010, 1:35 pm

Muz wrote: Okay, I just tried this. I tend to have dryer skin I used 2 tsp of Castor Oil to 6 Tsp of Olive oil (I didn't put all of that on my face, I put it in a container and then used the quarter sized amount). When I was massaging it in I was feeling grainy stuff. I'm not wowed by this after the first time. What's the soonest I can try it again (I noticed on the site it said not to do it too much). I put on a little Jojoba Oil after I finished rinsing my face. Maybe I didn't do it right?
I feel grainy stuff also. From what I understand, those are the impurities being removed from the cleansing with castor oil. I suggest doing it twice a week. You can increase it over time but I do not think you want to do it more than four times a week (every other day).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 13th April 2010, 7:06 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Muz wrote: Okay, I just tried this. I tend to have dryer skin I used 2 tsp of Castor Oil to 6 Tsp of Olive oil (I didn't put all of that on my face, I put it in a container and then used the quarter sized amount). When I was massaging it in I was feeling grainy stuff. I'm not wowed by this after the first time. What's the soonest I can try it again (I noticed on the site it said not to do it too much). I put on a little Jojoba Oil after I finished rinsing my face. Maybe I didn't do it right?
I feel grainy stuff also. From what I understand, those are the impurities being removed from the cleansing with castor oil. I suggest doing it twice a week. You can increase it over time but I do not think you want to do it more than four times a week (every other day).

When I woke up this morning my face did feel softer and looked a bit better, I was gonna try again tonight to see what I got, but after reading your comment, I think I'll wait to try again tomorrow Smile If this works, my next step is to find a way to get rid of the acne scarring on my face.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by royanu 21st April 2010, 3:40 pm

Hmm... this seems encouraging...

I tried OCMing about 2+ weeks ago. The first two weeks went great. (Especially the 1st week). I was doing it twice a day.

Then start of 2nd week I started seeing a pimple or two. I thought nothing of it and in the next 3-4 days I had a massive breakout mostly on my forehead! (And an 'almost coming out zit in my chin'. The kind that sits under the surface only). I was using 70%-30% EVVO-CO, or 80%-20%, or 75%-25% on different days.

So I stopped OCMing and went back to my original routine of Estee Lauder Cleanser, Benzoyl Peroxide creme (5%) and moisturizer. The 'old' routine has helped with the zits, however the overall texture and look of my face is TERRIBLE! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Now my face is several shades and looks pasty and like a pimple-faced teen hitting puberty. (I am 28!!!)

Seems like breakouts are happening to people, but what is everyone doing to counteract them? Or how do you change your routine post breakout? What do you suggest?

I am thinking to still give it a go but not twice a day. Maybe once a day and morning just wash off with warm water and do the BP and moisturize. (I am trying to hold on to BP for dear life @ this point since my cousin's wedding is in TWO weeks!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Also I am having a real hard time trying to find a store in Toronto that sells Organic Cold Pressed Castor Oil. (I bought the drugstore variety first and I don't want to try that same one again!) I am thinking to switch from EVOO to grapessed since it's lighter. But not sure if I should try jojoba oil before the grapeseed or both. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!!

royanu

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 21st April 2010, 10:51 pm

Well if you look up the method online it tells you not to do it everyday. Its recommended 3-4 nights a week and to rinse with warm water in the morning.

Since I have oily skin with breakouts my mix is 75% castor oil, 25% olive oil with a few drops of neem oil. Grapeseed oil is recommended for oily/acne prone skin. You can also increase your castor oil ratio. Jojoba oil is good for oil/acne skin too.

Since you have a big event I wouldn't discontinue using the method, but just do it 3-4 nights a week and continue using your other method to clear up the pimples you have now. Afterwards, return to the method, but only 3-4 nights a week understanding that your pimples were pulled to the surface by the OCM. If you read through this thread you'll see breakouts are normal. Even though I'm a faithful user of the method I still get outbreaks around my period. However, my skin looks great.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by drawmuhfree 24th April 2010, 4:24 pm

So I was one of those ignorant people who thought that once I got out of my teens I would be clear of acne and counted myself lucky because I didn't have any real breakouts....then I turned 27 and all Hades broke out on my face!

So now after hearing about this OCM I think my plan is to use castor/jojaba combo on my oily skin maybe every other night, black soap on the alternate nights and shea butter for moisturizer. I want to also try and do a bentonite mask once a week try to be consistent with this regimen for 1 month and HOPEFULLY I will have found my "natural" saving grace routine.

*fingers crossed*
drawmuhfree
drawmuhfree

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 25th April 2010, 5:56 pm

Draw, pleas let us know how your regimen works out for you.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next