CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister

+14
BrownSkinDiva
Renabme
dajewel
Corygentri
NylaCoils
NubieNatty
Preezie
Tamren
cococurly
Kea::curls
Muz
Lynnieluve
Miss CurlyT
ChrsLvsBks
18 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big Sister - Page 4 Empty Henna & Ayurvedic Products

Post by ChrsLvsBks 26th December 2009, 6:07 pm

cococurly wrote:@ Chrs... I was originally planning on doing my first henna treatment in april, so I could see how my hair grows alone, but do you recommend that I do it now rather than waiting? I am also interested in trying the Vatika oil/brahmi/amla. Should I wait or go ahead and try them?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your hair will grow and you will retain length if you keep it moisturized.

There is no harm in doing a henna treatment now. You could benefit from the strengthening properties of henna. Our hair's strength is important to growing and not breaking. I would say at least try it and see if you see any benefits after three uses. Many henna once a week. I henna once every month.

As far as ayurvedic products, I believe in them. I have seen less shedding after using them. You can use the Vatika oil as a pre-poo, hot oil treatment, sealant and for an oil scalp massage. Brahmi and amla can be used alone or together. I mix them with water until a thick pudding consistency. Apply them to my hair and try to massage some of the mix into my scalp. I leave them on for about an hour with a plastic bag. It is hard to get the mixture out of your hair. You have to rinse, rinse and rinse some more. A watery conditioner like VO5 Moisture Milks can help get some of it out. A good shower head on high can also help. Do not be dismayed if you still have little particles in your hair. I always do even after DC'ing and styling.

Be aware of brahmi and amla oils. Many of them have mineral oil as their carrier oils. I would look at the ingredient list prior to purchasing.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 4 Empty Re: Big Sister

Post by cococurly 26th December 2009, 8:30 pm

Thanks Chrs! I just ordered the amla, vatika oil, brahmi and henna. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I still think i'll wait alittle while before I henna, just to avoid possibly altering my curl patterns at this time. I will definitely do the henna by April though. I'll let you know what I think after I try them.

I cowashed today, and loved every minute of it. I wasnt scheduled to do hair until tomoorow, but I couldnt wait, and plus I was just laying around doing nothing. I so look forward to my hair days! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I cowashed with my usual, aussie moist but I also cowashed with HEHH and I never knew what people ment by a product melting in their hair, until today. After I applied the HEHH, my hair melted like butter. It was amazing!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I also DC for the first time since BCing and now my hair feels so soft. I think my hair is talking to me! lol! I am so looking forward to my next hair day....

LOVING MY "TWA"

Sorry, just wanted to share my experience.
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th December 2009, 3:03 am

No need to apologize for sharing.

This would be a perfect time for you and the other sisters to participate in the Butters-n-Bars Challenge. If you do not have the time, try to write down what you used and your experiences. It can help you create a regimen should you want one.

I want to try Aussie Moist. I have heard great things about it. As for HE HH, I think it is a product I will use for a long time--smells great and often on sale.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Renabme 28th December 2009, 10:05 am

Hi Chrslvsbks,
You commented on my fotki page right after my BC and since then, I've always checked your page for ideas. I think it's wonderful that you are a big sis. I hope you room for one more because I would love to be a lil sis.
Renabme
Renabme

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th December 2009, 12:18 pm

Nicksguhl, I am willing to help and do my best to assist you achieve and/or maintain healthy curly hair. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I finally purchased Aussie Moist. Their first ingredients are the same or similar to HE HH. I want to purchase the HE Totally Twisted before the weekend.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 28th December 2009, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct grammar)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 28th December 2009, 9:08 pm

Have you ever used Henna? I'm looking into it now, I probably won't to it until I hit my year mark in May, but I'm looking for more info about mixing it to get certain colors, and what brand is best to get.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 4 Empty Henna

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th December 2009, 10:09 pm

Yes, I have used henna a number of times. Until two weeks ago, I just mixed it with water and was pleased with the results. I mixed it with orange juice and water recently and liked the results. You have to let the henna sit overnight for the dye to release then apply. Many sleep in their henna to avoid "wasting" their day.

Apply it thick and smoosh it into scalp and work it into the hair strands. Let it sit for at least four hours if you want color release. To remove, many will lie, yes lie in a tub of water and allow the henna to release then start the shower and rinse, rinse, rinse until water runs clear then cowash.
Some experience dryness afterward so DC hair with moisturizing conditioner to avoid this.

I use henna for color (gray hairs) and strength. It is a long process but I don't mind.
Always do a strand test and skin test to ensure you like the results and are not allergic to henna.

Many purchase Jamila henna (in foil pack), henna from Yemen or Pakistan from buttersnbars.com or mehandi.com. I get my Jamilla henna in cellophane from the Indian grocer. Just make sure it is henna and henna alone, body art quality (BAQ) and current year.

I watched a lady on YT named TheMakeupVirgin apply her henna. She shows how she preps her bathroom, applies the henna and her results.

Hennaforhair.com has a forum where people share their henna mixes. You can add beet juice for a brown tint instead of red and cinnamon for more red. It all depends on your natural hair color or current hair color.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 28th December 2009, 11:15 pm

Hi, Chrs

I'm noticing more frizziness with my hair, kinda look dry or dull. My regimen is cowash with aussie moist, recently added HE-HH to that. After cowashing, I apply KCKT leave in and seal with coconut oil. I apply KKCC and baby buttercreme. That has been my routine since my BC. The thing Ive added, on my last cowash was the HE-HH.
Tonite, I decided to just No poo, then cowash with just HE-HH, apply KCKT and seal with EVOO, it still look frizzy and dry. Is frizziness the result of dryness? please help!!! I really didnt want to start changing my regimen this soon, but the frizziness is a little anoying. I dont feel like I manipulate my hair too much. I apply and then leave my hair alone and let it air dry.

Thanks in advance!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 29th December 2009, 10:50 am

Good Morning ladies! Chrys (or anyone else who can help) I have noticed that I am experiencing more breakage than usual. I am not sure if its the cold or what but now my hair seems to be coming out from the roots sometimes as well. Any suggestions or treatments that might help...
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 29th December 2009, 10:57 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:My recipe for henna is very simple. I add water to 200g of henna (if you have too much, you can freeze it) and stir until the consistency of pudding. The last time I used orange juice (16 ounces) and water. I think I like the juice and water results better. I think it was the orange juice that made the difference since I typically just add water.

Please do a strand test (use shed hair) and skin test (inner part of elbow) before applying it to your hair.

Two good tips with henna is to ensure you rinse it out and deep condition afterwards.

Where did you purchase your henna?

When you say do a strand test....what do you mean??? Well what I am asking is what do you look for when you do the strant test...How do you know if its good for your hair or bad???? You have to excuse me I am kinda slow with this hair stuff.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 11:08 am

Yes, frizziness is a result of dryness. It may develop when there is not enough moisture in your hair, when there is too much moisture in the air or when you touch your hair when it is wet (those are the ones I know about). Aussie Moist and HE HH have the same first five ingredients so I would not think the HE HH caused the issue. I do know that Miss Jessie’s buttercreme has beeswax, mineral oil and parabens. You may have build up from the buttercreme. You can clarify your scalp (use an SLS shampoo—don’t recommend; clarifying shampoo or baking soda and conditioner—1 t of baking soda to ½ c of conditioner) then allow the cleanser to flow through your strands. Focus on the scalp and then smooth the clarifier through your hair. You would want to use an acid after clarifying to balance your hair’s pH. I use an ACV rinse (1 T of ACV to 1 c of water). You can rinse it out or leave it in.

I suggest clarifying sooner than later to eliminate dryness. You can also up your moisture game. Spritz your hair with watered down conditioner or full strength conditioner and no water, place a plastic cap on your head and either let it sit overnight or for at least two hours. Your hair will draw in what it needs.

If you chose to continue to use the buttercreme, you may want to layer the products like this. Apply KCKT & KKCC, oil then buttercreme. Why? Your moisture (KCKT & KKCC) will be sealed (oil).

What has the weather been like since you noticed the change?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th December 2009, 11:17 am

@ Cococurly - I know Chrs is the Big Sis but I dont think you need to use two stylers (KKCC & Baby Buttercreme). Like Chrs said, the baby buttercreme has the not so good stuff in it. I usually use it maybe once or twice a month and shampoo with SLS shampoo after I use it. I think after you clarify, just using the KCKT & KKCC then sealing with an oil will fix you problem. HTH
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 29th December 2009, 11:53 am

Okay Im extremely late but I LOVE this topic....Im jumping on the band wagon and would LOVE a big sis....this support system is totally awesome Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 29th December 2009, 12:44 pm

@ chrs&lynnie.... Thanks for all the suggested remedies, Last night I no pooed with devacare, then cowashed with HE-HH(my hair melt with it and my curls just pop with it, could i use it as a leave in or should i just stick with my KCKT), I then applied KCKT and changed from coconut oil to EVOO. This morning I spritzed my hair with water, applied KCKT and sealed with EVOO and then applied just KCCC, without using the baby buttercreme. Today my hair looks so good, my curls are defined and NO FRIZZ!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It actually has more shine, the most ive seen since my BC!!! I think I resovled the problem. I think either the coconut oil was not moisterizing enough or it was the baby butter creme. What do you guys think?
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 1:12 pm

Miss CurlyT wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:My recipe for henna is very simple. I add water to 200g of henna (if you have too much, you can freeze it) and stir until the consistency of pudding. The last time I used orange juice (16 ounces) and water. I think I like the juice and water results better. I think it was the orange juice that made the difference since I typically just add water.

Please do a strand test (use shed hair) and skin test (inner part of elbow) before applying it to your hair.

Two good tips with henna is to ensure you rinse it out and deep condition afterwards.

Where did you purchase your henna?

When you say do a strand test....what do you mean??? Well what I am asking is what do you look for when you do the strant test...How do you know if its good for your hair or bad???? You have to excuse me I am kinda slow with this hair stuff.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
If looking for color, you may want to do more than a couple of strands. I saved a few strands from my detangling sessions days before to test the first time. After applying the henna, let the strands sit for a couple of hours to see the color transfer. You can also feel if the strands feel thicker. Remember some experience a loosening of their curl pattern, you may want to check for this also.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 29th December 2009, 1:43 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:

What has the weather been like since you noticed the change?

Its starting to get cold...I live in Massachusettes so now the winter is kicking in. However I don't think that should make my hair come out from the roots.....maybe its something I am eating...idk..I have my henna at home, and I keep looking at it everyday wondering if I should just give it a try. That maybe what my hair needs who knows...
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 2:09 pm

Come on in BrownSkinDiva, glad to have you! Being in the DC metro area, you may want to check out the Curly Meetups page. Those in the area plan to get together Jan. 9 or Jan. 10.

@cococurly, I bet it was the baby buttercreme. You can try coconut oil again and see if your results differ. As you know, experiementation is how you find out what works for your hair.

HE HH can be used as a leave in. From what I know of KCKT, their ingredients are natural. I have used HE HH as a leave in, rinse out, refresher (mixed with water and aloe vera gel--LOVE this) and DC (mixed with other good things).

BTW, how do you like the DevaConcept's No Poo? Do you have the DevaCurl or DevaCurl?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 29th December 2009, 2:57 pm

@ Chrs...... I used just devacare no poo, it wasnt devacurl. No poo's dont clarify the hair do they? I have a specific clarifying shampoo, I was just wondering.

Can you tell me again how to pre-poo with oils, specifically Vatika oil. Is pre-poo the same thing as a hot oil treatment?
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th December 2009, 4:59 pm

cococurly wrote:@ chrs&lynnie.... Thanks for all the suggested remedies, Last night I no pooed with devacare, then cowashed with HE-HH(my hair melt with it and my curls just pop with it, could i use it as a leave in or should i just stick with my KCKT), I then applied KCKT and changed from coconut oil to EVOO. This morning I spritzed my hair with water, applied KCKT and sealed with EVOO and then applied just KCCC, without using the baby buttercreme. Today my hair looks so good, my curls are defined and NO FRIZZ!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It actually has more shine, the most ive seen since my BC!!! I think I resovled the problem. I think either the coconut oil was not moisterizing enough or it was the baby butter creme. What do you guys think?

I bet it was the EVOO that helped with the shine/sheen. I think it was the Baby Buttercreme causing the problem. I'm not saying don't use it because I use it. I just think you should use one or the other. The Baby buttercreme is kinda heavy so you wouldnt have to reapply it daily unless you are co washing everyday. That's my two cents. HTH
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 4 Empty Hair Breakage & Shedding

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 5:16 pm

Miss CurlyT wrote:Good Morning ladies! Chrys (or anyone else who can help) I have noticed that I am experiencing more breakage than usual. I am not sure if its the cold or what but now my hair seems to be coming out from the roots sometimes as well. Any suggestions or treatments that might help...
If your hair is breaking, it could be due to many factors. Your hairs could be rubbing against a fabric other than satin or silk, hairs are being manipulated (combed, brushed) too often and/or not enough moisture. You can begin by protecting your ends as much as possible. Most resort to buns, bantu knots, bantu knot outs, twists, twist outs, braids, etc. Another way to protect them and provide them moisture is to baggy at night. Baggying, in general, means placing your moisturized hair in a plastic sandwich bag. It can be done all day (can wear phony pony or other hair extension/wig) or overnight.

Try to examine as many hairs as possible from different areas (above both ears, nape, crown and front). Do you see any split ends, check not only at the ends but further up the strands? If you see a great number of them, I suggest getting a trim.

Try detangling with your fingers only if you typically use a comb or brush.

I would not be alarmed by your hair coming out at the roots if you do not comb/brush often, been wearing protective styles and not manipulating your hair much. Why do I feel this way? First, I have experienced it for the last few weeks. Second, hairs with roots are shed hairs. If the amount increases over time or the amount has alarmed you, I suggest seeking a physician.

If you are taking any medications, check to see if hair loss is a side effect.

Henna is known to strengthen hair strands. I do not know if it helps with hair loss/shedding.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 29th December 2009, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remove excessive spaces)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 29th December 2009, 5:25 pm

coco im quite sure it was mj buttercreme. mineral oil is just drying period and i noticed a significant difference when i stopped using the buttercreme. plus it produces so much build up after a while. its not good to use everyday. not to say i wont use it cuz i plan to try the meringue and baby buttercreme out myself!

i actually clarify with suave clarifyer or pure castile soap (sometimes bronner's). when i pre-poo'd with oils (which is basically like a hot oil treatment) and co-washed w/HH my sheen lasted longer too! i grease my scalp with coconut oil.

now that i have my kinky twist (w/extensions) i keep my scalp hydrated w/afroveda's shikakai oil every 2 days and make sure i keep my edges saturated with coconut oil. i've had my twists for about 3 wks now and i've yet to see dandruff or any build up. i spritz em every day morning and night to keep em fresh w/water n oils. its so amazing becuz normally when i get braids i have that gunky stinky dandruff buildup ball up under the knots!

and fyi chrsy poo; i got pam's koils gift basket; im so in love with her butter its ridiculous! i have to get another one becuz even though u can use the butter on hair and body i dont want to share them. i need one for hair AND body, lol. I used her lavendar gel to coil some loose hair. i love how its not a commercialized lavendar smell i.e. bath n body n etc. such quality products! im so sold. now i gotta get the hair rinse for me and my brother cuz he has dreads!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by NubieNattyTwn-kisha on 29th December 2009, 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : heeey im not perfect)
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 6:54 pm

cococurly wrote:@ Chrs...... I used just devacare no poo, it wasnt devacurl. No poo's dont clarify the hair do they? I have a specific clarifying shampoo, I was just wondering.

Can you tell me again how to pre-poo with oils, specifically Vatika oil. Is pre-poo the same thing as a hot oil treatment?
No, the no poo will not clarify the hair. You could add a teaspoon of baking soda to it (amount of conditioner should be about 1/4 cup). Focus on scalp for a minute and then allow it to get into strands. Rinse with warm water, rinse with an ACV cold water mix then condition as usual.

Apply the Vatika oil from root to ends. You could warm the oil before applying. Let it sit at least an hour. Pre-poo is not the same as hot oil treatment but similar in the sense you are using oils and allowing it to penetrate your hair. Typically when someone says they are doing a hot oil treatment they focus on their scalp while pre-poo does both, at least from my experiences.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 29th December 2009, 9:37 pm

Thanks Chrs & Nubie...I received confirmation that my hair doesnt look dry or frizzy today!! I had another natural ask me what I used on my hair to keep it moisterized and make it look shiney. Isnt that ironic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ?
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 11:17 pm

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:and fyi chrsy poo; i got pam's koils gift basket; im so in love with her butter its ridiculous! i have to get another one becuz even though u can use the butter on hair and body i dont want to share them. i need one for hair AND body, lol. I used her lavendar gel to coil some loose hair. i love how its not a commercialized lavendar smell i.e. bath n body n etc. such quality products! im so sold. now i gotta get the hair rinse for me and my brother cuz he has dreads!
Hey there lady! I am glad you like KbN. The sweet almond joy butter smells so good. It moisturizes really well. A little goes a long way. Oh, she has lavender gel now. Cool, I prefer lavender over peppermint. I have the peppermint gel. I have to check out her site and see what she has.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th December 2009, 11:40 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
cococurly wrote:@ chrs&lynnie.... Thanks for all the suggested remedies, Last night I no pooed with devacare, then cowashed with HE-HH(my hair melt with it and my curls just pop with it, could i use it as a leave in or should i just stick with my KCKT), I then applied KCKT and changed from coconut oil to EVOO. This morning I spritzed my hair with water, applied KCKT and sealed with EVOO and then applied just KCCC, without using the baby buttercreme. Today my hair looks so good, my curls are defined and NO FRIZZ!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It actually has more shine, the most ive seen since my BC!!! I think I resovled the problem. I think either the coconut oil was not moisterizing enough or it was the baby butter creme. What do you guys think?

I bet it was the EVOO that helped with the shine/sheen. I think it was the Baby Buttercreme causing the problem. I'm not saying don't use it because I use it. I just think you should use one or the other. The Baby buttercreme is kinda heavy so you wouldnt have to reapply it daily unless you are co washing everyday. That's my two cents. HTH
I agree with lynnie & nubienatty. It was likely the baby buttercreme. I use it (received a sample) but typically know I will be cleansing my hair in the next day or two.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next