CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister

+14
BrownSkinDiva
Renabme
dajewel
Corygentri
NylaCoils
NubieNatty
Preezie
Tamren
cococurly
Kea::curls
Muz
Lynnieluve
Miss CurlyT
ChrsLvsBks
18 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big Sister - Page 5 Empty Re: Big Sister

Post by Miss CurlyT 30th December 2009, 11:48 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Miss CurlyT wrote:Good Morning ladies! Chrys (or anyone else who can help) I have noticed that I am experiencing more breakage than usual. I am not sure if its the cold or what but now my hair seems to be coming out from the roots sometimes as well. Any suggestions or treatments that might help...
If your hair is breaking, it could be due to many factors. Your hairs could be rubbing against a fabric other than satin or silk, hairs are being manipulated (combed, brushed) too often and/or not enough moisture. You can begin by protecting your ends as much as possible. Most resort to buns, bantu knots, bantu knot outs, twists, twist outs, braids, etc. Another way to protect them and provide them moisture is to baggy at night. Baggying, in general, means placing your moisturized hair in a plastic sandwich bag. It can be done all day (can wear phony pony or other hair extension/wig) or overnight. .

hmmmmmmmm....I am gonnna gave to try this baggy thing. I think thats a major part to my problem. My hair feels dry quite often. Part of it is my laziness but still I probably can do more to stay moisturized.

Try to examine as many hairs as possible from different areas (above both ears, nape, crown and front). Do you see any split ends, check not only at the ends but further up the strands? If you see a great number of them, I suggest getting a trim.

As a matter of fact I am getting a trim tonight

Try detangling with your fingers only if you typically use a comb or brush.

I am getting better at this. I probably used to pass a comb and brush through my hair every single day...now I am trying to do this less and less

I would not be alarmed by your hair coming out at the roots if you do not comb/brush often, been wearing protective styles and not manipulating your hair much. Why do I feel this way? First, I have experienced it for the last few weeks. Second, hairs with roots are shed hairs. If the amount increases over time or the amount has alarmed you, I suggest seeking a physician.

If you are taking any medications, check to see if hair loss is a side effect.

No mam...No medications. Actually my drug of choice is food. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Henna is known to strengthen hair strands. I do not know if it helps with hair loss/shedding.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the advice Chrs!!!

Well this morning I washed and condition...and I have my hair in a loose ponytail. I didnt have time to do a deep but when I go home this evening I am going to do an oil rinse and a deep and probably have my friend sew in a weave. I plan to leave a little bit out on the top which means a lil heat will be applied maybe once a week for 3-4 weeks so I hope that wont cause too much damage...Some days I feel so discouraged so I think weaving it up for a few weeks will give me a lil break than I can come back and tackle this head of mines!!!
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th December 2009, 12:37 pm

@Miss CurlyT, you are welcome!

You could cleanse the hair that will be left out with a conditioner or shampoo with -cones. This way your hair will be protected since the silicone will provide a barrier.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 30th December 2009, 12:47 pm

Ohhhhhh.....You know I never understood the deal with the whole "cones" things...but now I understand....from that simple sentence. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I actually have the organic root stimulator shampoo and I believe it has all kinds of cones in it..LOL. I've gotten pretty good with the cones free conditioners but I haven't jumped on board with the shampoos yet. What kind of shampoo do you use??
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 5 Empty Cleansers

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th December 2009, 1:22 pm

I use Dr. Bronner's shikakai peppermint and spearmint all in one soap purchased from Target and a shikakai bar I purchased at an Indian grocery store. I even used dish detergent one time before I used henna.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 30th December 2009, 2:02 pm

*Adds to List*

I remember seeing somewhere that you use alma along with your henna...where do you order your alma from? And do you use it and mix it the same you would with henna? I have been looking around and reading up on alma and it seems as though alma (more than cassia)...gives the same results as henna, but with no color deposit or loosening of curl pattern. Thats been my biggest fear with henna....the looseing if of the curl pattern since my curls are pretty loose already. I def want to try the henna, but I am guessing a mix of henna and alma would be perfect....
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th December 2009, 2:42 pm

You may have read about my henna and amla experience in the BnB challenge, henna thread or my fotki. I put in the amla after the henna dye was released. I use 200g of henna. I likely used 50 grams of amla. I only did it once and saw no difference in my hair's color, texture or condition.

I will say I have used amla alone and with my other ayurvedic powders. I did not feel the thickness of my individual strands after using it or them. With henna there was a noticeable difference the first time I used it.

I have little to no curl pattern when wet and if I were to apply no product, I would have a big ball of hair with no curl definition. Moisturizing products and stylers definitely help prompt my hair to curl.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 31st December 2009, 12:38 am

So glad I found this Big sister thread! I'm always late! Well Chrs, you know I just adore your hair and your knowledge so can you adopt me as another lil sis?? I feel like I need help. I need to come up with a consistent regimen, products, DC and all that. And I want thicker stronger hair and to learn ways extend hair styles so that I don't have to wet it everyday, especially now that it's cold.
I notice that oils help moisturize my hair when washed out but they weigh my hair down if I don't wash it out. Do you do a DC with oils alone? Like maybe after you henna?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 31st December 2009, 11:14 am

Chrs.. I recevied my Brahmi,Amla and Vatika oil order yesterday, and i want to apply the amla and brahmi tonite. Do I just mix them together with water and apply on dry hair? I think you said leave in for 1 hour then rinse out. Do I then cowash after rinsing them out? Is this all correct? How often should I do this treatment?

I plan to pre poo with the Vatika oil this weekend or should i only use it prior to clarifying, does it matter? Do i apply the vatika oil to dry hair and leave in over nite. If i leave in overnite, then do I just rinse out and clarify or cowash? I also plan to DC after cowashing.

Another question, I read that the Vatika also has amla in it, Does it matter that Im using the vatika and amla powder with the brahmi. Can you use to much amla? How often should I pre poo with the Vatika?
Thanks in Advance for you guidance!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Im so glad to have u as a big sis.
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 12:48 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:So glad I found this Big sister thread! I'm always late! Well Chrs, you know I just adore your hair and your knowledge so can you adopt me as another lil sis?? I feel like I need help. I need to come up with a consistent regimen, products, DC and all that. And I want thicker stronger hair and to learn ways extend hair styles so that I don't have to wet it everyday, especially now that it's cold.
I notice that oils help moisturize my hair when washed out but they weigh my hair down if I don't wash it out. Do you do a DC with oils alone? Like maybe after you henna?
Welcome lady and new sis! I have not DC with oil alone but you certainly can do so. Dajewel recommended and has used coconut and EVOO to DC. EVOO is a heavier oil but as you stated, you wash oils out. I do not have problems with anything weighing my hair down--it loves to puff up and out if I do not use oils and heavier products year round.

I use oils to pre-poo, for oil rinses and under/over styling products. I pre-poo before every cleansing (typically Friday night). I do oil rinses every once in a while (2x or so a month). I have been trying something new this week. I will apply a water based product then oil then styler then sealer. I did something similar over the summer with my WnGs. You can incorporate oils the way I do with the exception of leaving the oils in when styling.

Henna and amla's advantages are thicker, stronger hair. You can try using them on a regular basis. I know it is hard with a husband, children, work and friends but you can do it. As you know, you have to have a plan in mind before implementing it. Challenge yourself and ask others to join you. Support always helps.

I do no think there is anything wrong with wetting your hair to get your desired style. If wearing a bun, you could spritz your hair in the areas needing reviving. Why do wet your hair everyday? flattened curls? flyaways? oily scalp?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 31st December 2009, 2:32 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
jamaicacurl wrote:So glad I found this Big sister thread! I'm always late! Well Chrs, you know I just adore your hair and your knowledge so can you adopt me as another lil sis?? I feel like I need help. I need to come up with a consistent regimen, products, DC and all that. And I want thicker stronger hair and to learn ways extend hair styles so that I don't have to wet it everyday, especially now that it's cold.
Welcome lady and new sis! I have not DC with oil alone but you certainly can do so. Dajewel recommended and has used coconut and EVOO to DC. EVOO is a heavier oil but as you stated, you wash oils out. I do not have problems with anything weighing my hair down--it loves to puff up and out if I do not use oils and heavier products year round.

I use oils to pre-poo, for oil rinses and under/over styling products. I pre-poo before every cleansing (typically Friday night). I do oil rinses every once in a while (2x or so a month). I have been trying something new this week. I will apply a water based product then oil then styler then sealer. I did something similar over the summer with my WnGs. You can incorporate oils the way I do with the exception of leaving the oils in when styling.

Henna and amla's advantages are thicker, stronger hair. You can try using them on a regular basis. I know it is hard with a husband, children, work and friends but you can do it. As you know, you have to have a plan in mind before implementing it. Challenge yourself and ask others to join you. Support always helps.

I do no think there is anything wrong with wetting your hair to get your desired style. If wearing a bun, you could spritz your hair in the areas needing reviving. Why do wet your hair everyday? flattened curls? flyaways? oily scalp?

Aaah, thanks for taking me under your wing Smile. One of my problems is that I don't think to put oils in my hair before I co-wash until right before I get in the shower. So like you said, I need to plan better and come up with a weekly routine. I will try the DC with coconut and EVOO and maybe sit under my heat conditioning cap (gotta wipe the dust off that thing and get back to using it!)

I wet my hair everyday because although I sleep with a silk scarf on and most times pineapple, I still wake up with flattened curls and frizz. In FL last week I just splashed some water on 2nd day hair and actually had a good hair day. I've not had that luck here at home Sad so I always just wet it when I get in the shower. I have also tried washing it at night but #1 I don't like sleeping with wet hair and #2 my curls were not poppin'.

I'm so glad someone thought of this because this is really going to make me sit down and write down my hair plans for the week.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 6:08 pm

cococurly wrote:Chrs.. I recevied my Brahmi,Amla and Vatika oil order yesterday, and i want to apply the amla and brahmi tonite. Do I just mix them together with water and apply on dry hair? I think you said leave in for 1 hour then rinse out. Do I then cowash after rinsing them out? Is this all correct? How often should I do this treatment?

I plan to pre poo with the Vatika oil this weekend or should i only use it prior to clarifying, does it matter? Do i apply the vatika oil to dry hair and leave in over nite. If i leave in overnite, then do I just rinse out and clarify or cowash? I also plan to DC after cowashing.

Another question, I read that the Vatika also has amla in it, Does it matter that Im using the vatika and amla powder with the brahmi. Can you use to much amla? How often should I pre poo with the Vatika?
Thanks in Advance for you guidance!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Im so glad to have u as a big sis.
You can mix them together. I would try about 1/4 of each box (total of 50 g) with water. You can apply to dry hair but I usu. apply to damp hair. I do co-wash and DC afterwards. I do ayurvedic treatments once a week except the week I use henna. AfrikanLatina recently used brahmi and oils and was very pleased with her results. You can check out her Butters-N-Bars thread (last couple of pages) to read what she did and her results.

You can pre-poo with Vatika before you cleanse. You can apply the oil and then just rinse it out and apply stylers. For starters, I would prepoo once a week to see how you like the Vatika oil.

I do not think it matters when you pre-poo. I typically pre-poo before cleansing or clarifying. If you feel you have build up, I would not suggest pre-pooing. You may seal in the products causing the build up. When pre-pooing, I apply to dry hair (product and all in it). You may pre-poo overnight; the bottle suggests overnight but at least an hour, if I remember correctly. After pre-pooing, rinse your hair with warm water then co-wash or clarify.

As for too much amla, I do not think using the powder and Vatika oil will be too much. I do rotate my products so I do not have any experience with it.

I am truly grateful and honored to know my opinion and experience help others. I spent so much time reading posts from so many sites. I would have loved to have a person or a couple of people to consult.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st December 2009, 6:09 pm

Chrs you are the best!!! I didn't officially ask, but you are always so very helpful!

*hugs*
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 5 Empty Need Opinions Stat-HIWIP

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 7:50 pm

Thanks for the <3 sweet!

Need opinions--gonna rock a frohawk tomorrow at a New Year's Day brunch. Nylacoils and ladies in Stylin' and Profilin's How to do a frohawk were my inspiration![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Loose curls in front or
hump[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th January 2010, 2:54 pm

Happy New Year curlies!

Let me know how things are going for you. Hoping you all the best in 2010 and beyond.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 4th January 2010, 4:24 pm

Happy New Years to you too sis!

Those pics are just your trial right?? You should post some of your final 'do....I currently have a weave..a short bob. I did an oil rinse and deep condition prior to putting the weave in. I may just post some pucs of my new years hair do when I go home later on today...
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th January 2010, 4:41 pm

@ Miss CurlyT, yes, those are from my trial--a definite WIP. I will post my final do here also. Yes, please post New Year's 'do.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 4th January 2010, 6:06 pm

I want to see New Year hair pics too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 4th January 2010, 7:30 pm

Hey Big sister! Things are going well so far. I did a Bentonite clay treatment yesterday and wrote all about it in my BnB. I plan to check out a halal store I found out about near my job tomorrow to see if they have any of those powders (i.e amla, shikaki, etc.)

Also, I plan to do an EVCO & EVOO oil DC weekly.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 4th January 2010, 7:34 pm

I love the EVCO & EVOO combo and my hair does too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 5th January 2010, 11:00 am

Happy New Year, Curlies!!! Chrs... my Amla/Brahmi/Vatika treatment went well, my hair was very soft afterwards. Cant wait to see if it helps with growth/thickness.
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2010, 12:38 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:Hey Big sister! Things are going well so far. I did a Bentonite clay treatment yesterday and wrote all about it in my BnB. I plan to check out a halal store I found out about near my job tomorrow to see if they have any of those powders (i.e amla, shikaki, etc.)

Also, I plan to do an EVCO & EVOO oil DC weekly.
I will check it out. Hubby has been home the last couple of days so I have trying to be good and not be online. I would stay away from aritha. I heard it is very drying. Let us know how your hair responds to the oil DC.

Lynnieluve wrote:I love the EVCO & EVOO combo and my hair does too.
Lynnieluve, I plan to try the oils alone. I cannot recall, have you tried an oil rinse a la tiashauntee? I have not done it in a while and not sure why. I remember my hair liked it.

cococurly wrote:Happy New Year, Curlies!!! Chrs... my Amla/Brahmi/Vatika treatment went well, my hair was very soft afterwards. Cant wait to see if it helps with growth/thickness.
Yay!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Keep us updated on growth and thickness. Pictures and journaling your experiences definitely help.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 5th January 2010, 1:12 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I love the EVCO & EVOO combo and my hair does too.

I need to try that!!

How did you apply it?
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 5 Empty Coconut and EVOO DC

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2010, 1:36 pm

I fill a plastic bottle I purchased from the dollar store with the oils-50-50. I shake the bottle then pour some oil into my palm and apply it to sectioned hair. I start with two sections then progressively make them into smaller sections. I typically end up with no less than 8 sections. I then apply more oil as needed to the smaller sections. You can also apply it to your scalp and warm it prior to applying or after applying by using a towel, heat cap or bonnet. I leave the oil on for at least 30 minutes.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th January 2010, 3:11 pm

Chrs, I've used oils as a overnight pre poo, oil rinse and deep conditioner. My hair responds well to oils. I use the EVOO and EVCO combo to pre poo and as a deep conditioner. When I do the oil rinse, I do it the same way Tia did in her picture tutorial but I use olive oil only.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 6th January 2010, 5:50 pm

So I tried a new style:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I like it for the most part, and my flat twists are definitely getting better! I may try a twist 'n' curl in the back next time. . Smile Happy New Year everyone!
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next