CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister

+14
BrownSkinDiva
Renabme
dajewel
Corygentri
NylaCoils
NubieNatty
Preezie
Tamren
cococurly
Kea::curls
Muz
Lynnieluve
Miss CurlyT
ChrsLvsBks
18 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Big Sister - Page 7 Empty Re: Big Sister

Post by Lynnieluve 17th January 2010, 12:50 am

The reason I day I use hand fulls because it in a bottle. I pour it in my hand.

I dont let it sit at all. I hope we are talking about the same thing. When I do my oil rinse, if I am co washing, I wet my hair, add the oil, then put my conditioner on top of the oil and proceed to co wash.

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 17th January 2010, 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 17th January 2010, 12:52 am

ooooooooh ok! i get it. yes we talkin bout the same thing, i just had a different idea of the oil rinse cuz i never done it before! now i get it...ok! **jotting down in journal**
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 28th January 2010, 11:45 am

Hi Ladies and Big Sis...I have been so busy lately but I have been checking in here and there and you guys still look fab. I just took out my weave over the weekend and my hair was a mess!!! I experienced a lot of breakage, partly because I didnot detangle my hair properly. I did a deep condition with Organix Coconut conditioner (added a lil olive oil) and my hair was still very dry and dull....My bday is tomorrow and I am hoping to revive my hair by this weekend [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Chrys, back in November I did a deep condition with Organic Roots Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. I added Coconut Milk, and EVOO to it and my hair LOVED it. I posted a pic of my hair after the deep

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

However I am little concerned with the ingredients-Here is a listing:

Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium 32, Glycerin, Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Olive Oil (Olea Europaea), Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Lanolin, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Cholesterol, Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica), Capsicum Extract (Paprika), Hydrolyzed Keratin, Egg Powder (Ovum), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Methyl Paraben (and) Propyl Paraben, Brown No. 1 (CI 20170), Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate, D'Limonene, Linalool, Alphaisomethylionone.

Is this something I should be staying away from???
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th January 2010, 3:20 pm

Miss CurlyT wrote:Hi Ladies and Big Sis...I have been so busy lately but I have been checking in here and there and you guys still look fab. I just took out my weave over the weekend and my hair was a mess!!! I experienced a lot of breakage, partly because I didnot detangle my hair properly. I did a deep condition with Organix Coconut conditioner (added a lil olive oil) and my hair was still very dry and dull....My bday is tomorrow and I am hoping to revive my hair by this weekend [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Chrys, back in November I did a deep condition with Organic Roots Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. I added Coconut Milk, and EVOO to it and my hair LOVED it. I posted a pic of my hair after the deep

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

However I am little concerned with the ingredients-Here is a listing:

Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium 32, Glycerin, Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Olive Oil (Olea Europaea), Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Lanolin, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Cholesterol, Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica), Capsicum Extract (Paprika), Hydrolyzed Keratin, Egg Powder (Ovum), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Methyl Paraben (and) Propyl Paraben, Brown No. 1 (CI 20170), Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate, D'Limonene, Linalool, Alphaisomethylionone.

Is this something I should be staying away from???
First, Happy Birthday! Yes, let's see what we can do to get your hair back into tip top shape. I would ask that you deep condition at least for 30 minutes today with a emollient/moisturizing conditioner. You can add oils (shine), honey (shine), coconut milk (strength), etc. to amp up its effectiveness.

While no Curl Chemist or chemistry major, I have highlighted the ingredients most curlies stay away from. Since they are listed further down on the ingredient list, you could be okay. If it worked for you in the past, I would not throw it away. It is water based and has the fatty acid cetyl alcohol plus Behentrimonium Methosulfate, a great detangler for me.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 28th January 2010, 3:46 pm

Thanks so much for the bday love...I will be 26 and sometimes my friends joke and say I am going on 80 because I am so miserable. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Girl I am far from a curl chemist myself...but you know a hec of alot more than I do. But you may be onto something. I do notice that my hair likes coconut milk and olive oil when added into deep conditions, so I think this may be a staple for me. As for the hair mayonaisse, its all done and I really was trying not to buy it again because I was pretty sure that some of those ingredients was a no-no and I am trying my best to move more towards more natural and friendly ingredients for curly girlies.

What conditioner would you suggest I use as a deep that can be found at your local drugstores. I know many of you swear by Aubrey Organics Honey something...lol. But I am not sure that is available at target. If it is I will pick it up if not I would like to try a diff one. I have tons of conditioners at home, which are good for co-washing, but I don't think any of them are heavy enough for a deep. The organix coconut line feels nice in my hair and smells good but doesn't give me that wow factor that I got from the hair mayonnaise.

BTW-I am taking your suggestion you gave to JamaicaCurl, I believe it was, and i am keeping a hair journal. I started this weekend!!! I feel as though I keep asking you the same questions, then I forget....so sorry and thanks again for all your help.
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th January 2010, 1:29 pm

Miss CurlyT wrote:Thanks so much for the bday love...I will be 26 and sometimes my friends joke and say I am going on 80 because I am so miserable. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Girl I am far from a curl chemist myself...but you know a hec of alot more than I do. But you may be onto something. I do notice that my hair likes coconut milk and olive oil when added into deep conditions, so I think this may be a staple for me. As for the hair mayonaisse, its all done and I really was trying not to buy it again because I was pretty sure that some of those ingredients was a no-no and I am trying my best to move more towards more natural and friendly ingredients for curly girlies.

What conditioner would you suggest I use as a deep that can be found at your local drugstores. I know many of you swear by Aubrey Organics Honey something...lol. But I am not sure that is available at target. If it is I will pick it up if not I would like to try a diff one. I have tons of conditioners at home, which are good for co-washing, but I don't think any of them are heavy enough for a deep. The organix coconut line feels nice in my hair and smells good but doesn't give me that wow factor that I got from the hair mayonnaise.

BTW-I am taking your suggestion you gave to JamaicaCurl, I believe it was, and i am keeping a hair journal. I started this weekend!!! I feel as though I keep asking you the same questions, then I forget....so sorry and thanks again for all your help.
Yes to Carrots, Yes to Tomatoes, Yes to Cucumbers are found in Target. I used the Yes to Carrots conditioner as a DC last year. I liked it but it didn't have enough slip and contain dimethicone. Another one I liked was Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing conditioner. It has cones but I loved it and would repurchase if I needed a DC and didn't have one at home. Giovanni and Burt's Bees can be found in Target. I love Giovanni's 50-50 balancing conditioner. Their tea tree conditioner is acceptable. I personally did not care for the Burt's Bees grapefruit something conditioner (not enough slip). Both Giovanni and Burt's Bees are natural.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 29th January 2010, 3:48 pm

I LOVE the Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner, I use it once a week w/ Castor Oil and it's done wonders for my hair Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss CurlyT 29th January 2010, 4:03 pm

Thanks Chrs...I didn't end up going to target though...I was a bit on a time crunch so I ended up cowashing with VO5 moisture milks, and figured i would finish my organix coconut milk conditioner. I added real coconut mil and some oilve oil and let it sit for maybe 3 hours and my hair is looking and feeling much better today..AMEN lol.

I also do love the Organic root stimulator Condioner, as a matter of fact, I like that line peroid, shampoo and all. But I am trying hard to stay away from those not so friendly products for the curly girlies. I am learning that my hair LOVES EVOO...so that may be why I that line works so well on my hair...

@ Muz I know what you mean. When I was pregnant thats all I used and it did wonders for my hair...
Miss CurlyT
Miss CurlyT

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 29th January 2010, 4:11 pm

I'm not an expert, but I've seen it said plenty of times that if something works for your hair even if it has a couple of the "no nos" in it, then you should go on and use it. For me, I'm not working right now, so I don't have the money to experiment and be a PJ. I found that simply cutting out sulfates has done wonders for me, my hair doesn't seem to be bothered by cones and protein.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Big Sister - Page 7 Empty Big Sister

Post by Renabme 11th February 2010, 6:39 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Nicksguhl, I am willing to help and do my best to assist you achieve and/or maintain healthy curly hair. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I finally purchased Aussie Moist. Their first ingredients are the same or similar to HE HH. I want to purchase the HE Totally Twisted before the weekend.

I do have one concern. I try to style my hair at night before going to bed. When I wake up in the morning, my hair is always flat on one side. I've tried to spritz it in the morning, but it just stays flat. So I end up co-washing everyday (it's been cold over here lately). Also, does anyone have straight hairs? Most of my hair is curly, but in the middle it's more like a wavy/straight combo.
Renabme
Renabme

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th February 2010, 10:03 am

rena you sound JUST LIKE me, lol. i expected to have my whole head looking like solange but ummm, NO!! everything coils up except for the top-middle part. it curls almost at the end. then i have some unruly parts that just wave up.

i use to co-wash everyday as well but since its cold here too i mainly wash at night...which i also hate becuz it results in the smooshed cone head, i call it "the WILL.I.AM" look, lol. so in the am, i use coconut oil and some hair butter (any kind of moisturizer); start off with a quarter size and rub em along your fingertips; then kinda massage your scalp and fluff it out a little, not too much cuz it'll get really frizzy!

you can also spritz to wake it up and control the frizz along w/then finger massaging w/oil to fluff it out.

on another note; what you doin in tokyo? lol, thats another destination of my places to visit (after paris) cuz i hear shopping is crazy! how are you finding hair products there?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 21st February 2010, 7:30 pm

Hi renabme, first, your smile is lovely. Most of us curlies have flat hair when waking. You can try twisting big sections of hair or putting in Bantu knots. Another idea is to apply a moisturizer to your fingers and curling the hairs between your fingers.

Arggghhh regarding varying textures. I have all three--fine, medium and coarse. I also have different sizes of curls, waves and kinks. I try to apply less product to waves and more product to kinks. I also scrunch in products in looser curls and rake and smooth products in tighter areas.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Renabme 23rd February 2010, 6:54 pm

NubieNatty wrote:rena you sound JUST LIKE me, lol. i expected to have my whole head looking like solange but ummm, NO!! everything coils up except for the top-middle part. it curls almost at the end. then i have some unruly parts that just wave up.

i use to co-wash everyday as well but since its cold here too i mainly wash at night...which i also hate becuz it results in the smooshed cone head, i call it "the WILL.I.AM" look, lol. so in the am, i use coconut oil and some hair butter (any kind of moisturizer); start off with a quarter size and rub em along your fingertips; then kinda massage your scalp and fluff it out a little, not too much cuz it'll get really frizzy!

you can also spritz to wake it up and control the frizz along w/then finger massaging w/oil to fluff it out.

on another note; what you doin in tokyo? lol, thats another destination of my places to visit (after paris) cuz i hear shopping is crazy! how are you finding hair products there?

Thank you for the tips. I have my hair braided right now, but once I take these out, I will try your advice. I am in the Air Force. I am currently stationed here. It's very beautiful here, so it's definitely worth the trip. I would suggest to bring some money. It is crazy expensive here.
Renabme
Renabme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7