CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'd like to be a big sister

2 posters

Go down

I'd like to be a big sister Empty I'd like to be a big sister

Post by lina40 18th December 2009, 9:53 pm

hi there Smile

Although I am new to the CurlyNikki community, I am not new to the natural journey. I have been natural for ten years, and transitioned for 9 months with braids and spiral rollersets before I did the BC on Memorial Day weekend in 1999. Since then its been VERY interesting! I have had progress and setbacks for the first five years, then came upon fotki and decided on a whim to start taking pics of my hair - and my hair has been improving ever since!

I am now loving my hair and continue to learn and teach others how to care for it Smile

my fotki is

http://public.fotki.com/okorolina40

my 5th year album is open for viewing, as well as my henna tutorial, if you would like to see my hair condition and texture. I am also studying aromatherapy and herbalism (and my dad was a pharmacist), so the mixtress tendency is in my blood and slowly taking over!

Looking forward to helping anyone out!

With a hug and a smile,

Lina40
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

I'd like to be a big sister Empty Re: I'd like to be a big sister

Post by NappilyEverAfter 18th December 2009, 10:06 pm

Hey Lina!
I'm looking for a big sister. I'm in my transition phase, last relaxer was March 2009. I'm planning on doing the big chop in Feb 2010. I'm still a little lost on products and what not. Right now I use Coconut Milk shampoo & conditioner by Organix. So if you'd like to take me on, I'd love it.
NappilyEverAfter
NappilyEverAfter

http://members.fotki.com/playahdrea/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 19th December 2009, 12:33 am

Hi NappilyEverAfter! I would love to help! Anything I can do girl - I'm there. Im a researcher by occupation, so if you are trying to track something down by way of products or styles, I can probably find it for you, lol!

I like the coconut milk conditioner by Organix -- i use it after taking down my extensions.. good stuff!

I am one of 5 sisters , so I am used to sharing and conversing, lol! I'm here for ya!

Blessings!
Lina40
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by NappilyEverAfter 19th December 2009, 2:18 pm

I think that one of my biggest problems right now is that my hair tends to get dry quickly. I've tried a few moisturizers but they really don't seem to do anything for me. I do use coconut oil, but sometimes it seems as though I have to use a lot and sometimes it begins to drip. Any other suggestions?

NEA
NappilyEverAfter
NappilyEverAfter

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 19th December 2009, 2:38 pm

perhaps spritz your hair with a bit of water or a water-based Light leave in, then apply your coconut oil to seal in the moisture. you can also try a heavier oil, like olive, sesame, or even castor oil which will go farther to seal in the moisture.

another option is to add a water-based product with glycerin in it, then apply the coconut oil. If your hair is loose when you apply it, forming twists or braids, or even putting a plastic cap over it will help the hair retain the moisture and lubrication you have added. I would avoid just adding the coconut oil directly to dry hair unless you are
* wearing a straight style
* finishing up a fly look and need a little bit of sheen
* planning to do an pre-treatment with it (in which case you can shampoo or co-wash it out)

hope that helps you! What other products are you using?

Lina40
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by NappilyEverAfter 19th December 2009, 2:49 pm

I really don't use a lot of different products because I really don't know. I use KC knot today, I've used cantu shea butter in the past but it made my hair feel really sticky. I've also used ORS shea butter which I really like. I'm just lost in the moisture dept and don't know what kind of products to use. I've posted some pictures on fotki. I just added you as a friend.

NEA
NappilyEverAfter
NappilyEverAfter

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 19th December 2009, 8:52 pm

hi NEA - i would do something basic - olive oil, glycerin and water.

Can you tell what your member name for fotki is? I couldnt find you..

thanks!

I would do the knot today and probably some olive oil to seal in the moisture on the ends when you need it. Do you deep condition your hair, and if so, with what products?

Blessings,
Lina
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by NappilyEverAfter 19th December 2009, 9:24 pm

Hey Lina,

I usually deep condition with ORS Olive Oil Replenishing pak. I've seen a couple of people on youtube make their own deep conditioner and I'm thinking of trying it. It consisted of avocado, mayonnaise, coconut oil, baking soda, olive oil, and rosemary essential oil for smell.

Here is my link to my fotki page. I'm just getting it up and running.
http://members.fotki.com/playahdrea

NEA
NappilyEverAfter
NappilyEverAfter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down