CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate it when...

+47
Neems
PolymerGirl
HappyCurly
CheneyRochon
krys419
C.
missqueenlene
honeybrown1976
Lanabell1219
CurlyChefRobin
myfroisaverage
lena73
LoveleeMama
dajewel
Free2Be
earniece
Red53
IndigoHarmony
Butterfly126
BrownSkinDiva
Nessa101
Naturally Esq
gigihaitiancurly
Ebbz
Mangos&Bananas
NaturallyCLD
BattleKat
earynnm
curlybarbi48
s4pphir3
Muz
AshElleAye
WhosThatRedHead
Curly_Aquarius
curlista
DreamMerchant
Nikcoils
deeply_rooted_chick
Lynnieluve
TriniCherryPrincess
tiashaunteƩ
predestined010
BajanPrincess82
Annapolitan
mstokes2008
4EverNatural
elleeccentric
51 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I hate it when... - Page 4 Empty Re: I hate it when...

Post by BajanPrincess82 3rd July 2010, 10:03 pm

I hate it when people say that "the natural 'thing' just isn't for everybody". Um, since when is the hair that you were BORN with not for you? I also hate when people say "My hair isn't like yours, I can't go natural". I just got these two comments yesterday and it irked the heck out of me!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 4th July 2010, 7:21 am

i hate that i can never keep my twists in for longer than 5 or 6 days at a time, but then after 2 days of free hair, start twisting it up again so i dont have to worry about my hair. and these arent medium-big twists either.. they're MICRO twists that take me hours upon hours of aching arms to do , not to mention i put them on perm rods so that they look like a curly twisted fro= add'l time to dry & set

i also hate when ppl say they would go natural if they had hair like mine or could style their hair like i do
my response: thanx for implying that i have "good hair" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [although i think my hair is good, it definitely is not the "good" they meant [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ] and i just learned to style my hair when i made this decision by watching youtube vids and just doing whatever comes to mind

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 5th July 2010, 5:58 pm

elleeccentric wrote:
Annapolitan wrote:I can't stand when people tell me they couldn't stop relaxing because they don't have good hair. They just refuse to give their natural hair even the smallest chance, and I always have to remind that there is no such thing as good hair. Hate that phrase.

I completely agree! I HATE that term! The sad part is A LOT of people have that mentality.
I hate when they praise your natural hair and say oh "well you can do that, you got that good hair" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] really?..

Yup. My sister told me "You cannot not have a perm. Your hair is too thick for that. You know you don't have good hair like Sheree (our cousin that got that coolie hair from our maternal grandparents, and we got more of the texture from our dad's parents)"

LMAO that is just how my 18 yr old sis thinks. She has this new bangin rihanna short cut, but I guess to her short hair only looks good when permed.http://theglamourouslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/kelis.jpg

Last edited by krys315 on 5th July 2010, 6:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add ictures, spell checks)

krys419

Back to top Go down

I hate it when... - Page 4 Empty What I hate about ideas abotu hair

Post by krys419 5th July 2010, 6:02 pm

I hate when

1. people with waves, curls who are black (or even mixed or latino) act like it is such a huge step for them to go natural and think every black person needs to be natural. They don't realize that their curly hair is accepted, while black people who don't really have a curl and just have puffy hair or nappy hair have a way harder time going natural [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. people think nappy is derogatory. I'm Jamaican and natty, nappy, and picky is how we describe that hair type. I don't call it kinky because I do NOT see kinks in this type of hair. Kinky hair to me is like Jill Scott or Kelis when she first came out. http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/flipbooks/img/events/old_navy_big_n_beautiful/15_77273426.jpg

3. People try to use nappy as a derogatory word.

4. people associate nappy hair with not being mixed. When my very light sister has a curly weave/wig people think she is mixed or hispanic(we are) and it's her hair because she is light, but when she has her real hair they think she is "black light skinned"

5. people think I have a wig/weave on when I don't because "black people don't have long thick hair." I know this is referring to my relaxer, but I'm transitioning now.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by CheneyRochon 11th July 2010, 9:26 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:I hate it when:

1. My hair looks its best when I have no where to go
2. People pull my twist to watch them bounce
3. People say "why don't you perm all that pretty hair so that we can see it"

OMG! You hit it dead on the spot with #1. I'm always like, "ok I'll go walk my dog or something." And then when I get outside I'm like, "where the hell is everybody?" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CheneyRochon
CheneyRochon

http://www.tracilynnjewelry.net/cheneycherry

Back to top Go down

Post by CheneyRochon 11th July 2010, 9:32 pm

elleeccentric wrote:I have some more:

--I hate it when i find single strande knots. ugh! they're a pain
--I hate it when it's super humid and my defined twist out turns into a puff w/in hours. South florida has been soooo humid lately =/
--I hate it when people ask "what did you put in your hair, to make it so curly" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..um it grows out of my scalp that way..smh

I'm so with you on the last one. I really HATE that one. And I hate even more that they assume I have to use something to make it that way.
CheneyRochon
CheneyRochon

Back to top Go down

Post by CheneyRochon 11th July 2010, 9:38 pm

I hate it when I decide to wear my hair straight and sit the chair of a hair stylist and after touching my hair, they 1st make a face and then say "do you want a relaxer?" After rolling my eyes or raising one eyebrow I say, "no, I asked you to blow dry it straight NOT do a relaxer."

My biggest HATE is being charged extra to have my hair blow dried striaght because I have natural hair. I still don't get that one. You mean, I have to pay you $10 - $20 extra because I don't have a relaxer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CheneyRochon
CheneyRochon

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 12th July 2010, 12:18 am

i hate that my wash-n-go's dont look the same dry as when wet. [ i have tiny pen spring coils that like to shrink and frizz easily]

i hate that my WnGs take forever to dry and when they do dry, they look like the Sahara Desert, but they feel like a cloud

[again about WnGs]--i hate that i cant achieve a decent WnG to save my life

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 12th July 2010, 8:19 pm

@ CheneyRochon - Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!! Also, has anyone ever told you that you look like Angela Bassett?
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheneyRochon 12th July 2010, 11:33 pm

CurlyChefRobin wrote:@ CheneyRochon - Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!! Also, has anyone ever told you that you look like Angela Bassett?

@CurlyChefRobin. That is Angela Bassett [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ! Thanks though 'cause I think she's beautiful. She's my afro avatar.
CheneyRochon
CheneyRochon

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 12th July 2010, 11:42 pm

i hate it that i follow steps for a great braid out, so happy. then follow same steps, get FRIZZ!!!! what happened???? why can't it work right again? and what should i do to this hair tomorrow? i'm not in the mood to re braid tonight. let's hope this frizzy braid out holds and looks decent. it could get worse or better at this point and i think i might roll it on some rollers and see what happens.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by PolymerGirl 13th July 2010, 2:19 am

I hate it when
1. Other naturals pressure me to BC. Heifer, if I say I'm not comfortable with this length and I wanna wait then I'm not comfortable with this length... and I'm gonna wait. Save your hot breath for someone who cares about your opinion and, in the meantime, RESPECT MY CHOICE! (Sorry, been storing that one up for a while)
2. People wait to say how they really feel about my natural hair until a cosigner is present. Why aren't you mature enough to state how you really feel when you're alone? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
3. People of straighter or straightened textures say that my natural hair is distracting. But you hair is not? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
4. People assuming I'm a vegan tree-hugging, Save-the-Whales nature warrior princess. Please, don't attempt to put me in a box until I'm dead.
5. Unexpected hair touchery from people who are grown enough to know better. Don't put on your stank face because I gave you the side-eye. You invaded my personal space! Get out of my bubble. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

However, I do like it when people ask me questions and acknowledge that they don't understand. I like it when people try to learn more, rather than just being ignorant. It makes me feel as if there is hope for the world.

Now, if only people would ask before touching my hair. That'd be nice.
PolymerGirl
PolymerGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 13th July 2010, 9:57 am

When people say that your hair is a distraction. Like they don't see the coworker with the royal blue weave in her hair. Who grows royal blue, hot pink or purple hair out of their scalp? If you want the colored weaves then go for it. But don't say that a person with natural hair has hair that is distracting when ol' girl over there has green and fuschia hair.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by elleeccentric 13th July 2010, 10:59 am

I hate it when i have frizzy ends in a twist out. idk what to do anymore to help fix this [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 13th July 2010, 11:31 am

elle: i second this.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 13th July 2010, 11:36 am

[quote="PolymerGirl"]I hate it when
4. People assuming I'm a vegan tree-hugging, Save-the-Whales nature warrior princess. Please, don't attempt to put me in a box until I'm dead.
[\quote]

LMBO! One day my dad was being silly and said something like "are you going rasta?" Since he's my father I just gave him the mandatory kissing teeth and went about my business.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PolymerGirl 13th July 2010, 7:28 pm

lol Neems I thought I was the only one! Why so many stereotypes? Although it's very important to us, at the end of the day, hair's just hair after all.
PolymerGirl
PolymerGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 13th July 2010, 9:34 pm

CheneyRochon wrote:
CurlyChefRobin wrote:@ CheneyRochon - Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!! Also, has anyone ever told you that you look like Angela Bassett?

@CurlyChefRobin. That is Angela Bassett [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ! Thanks though 'cause I think she's beautiful. She's my afro avatar.

OK, I feel silly now! LOL! She is beautiful and I was thinking - WOW, she looks just like her!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 10:05 pm

I hate it when:

1. people ask what am I mixed with due to the texture of my hair (a good friend of mine swore me up and down that my dad is from PR. I have known her for four years [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
2. people say I have a "good grade" of hair
3. people tell me that the is no way that using only water and conditioner makes my hair "curl that way"
4. to be call soul sister (although I do like Train's song)
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 13th July 2010, 10:35 pm

LuvMeLuvMyFro wrote:I hate it when:

1. people ask what am I mixed with due to the texture of my hair (a good friend of mine swore me up and down that my dad is from PR. I have known her for four years [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
3. people tell me that the is no way that using only water and conditioner makes my hair "curl that way"

Wow... you're Puerto Rican now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by elleeccentric 13th July 2010, 11:23 pm

WhosThatRedHead wrote:

Wow... you're Puerto Rican now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

omg someone said that to my friend right after she BC'ed!..that is pure foolishness! people nowadays
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

Post by CheneyRochon 14th July 2010, 1:13 am

elleeccentric wrote:
WhosThatRedHead wrote:

omg someone said that to my friend right after she BC'ed!..that is pure foolishness! people nowadays

OMG! That happened to me too but instead of Puerto Rican the person said, "I thought your mom was white but never wanted to ask you." Now my mom has a very, very light complexion, but clearly doesn't look white. But I looked at the person like what does the texture of my hair have to do with my mom's race that you've wanted to ask me if my mom is white because my hair is curly when in its natural state. Sorry to disappoint you but both of my parents are black.
CheneyRochon
CheneyRochon

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 14th July 2010, 11:06 pm

CheneyRochon wrote:
elleeccentric wrote:
WhosThatRedHead wrote:

OMG! That happened to me too but instead of Puerto Rican the person said, "I thought your mom was white but never wanted to ask you." Now my mom has a very, very light complexion, but clearly doesn't look white. But I looked at the person like what does the texture of my hair have to do with my mom's race that you've wanted to ask me if my mom is white because my hair is curly when in its natural state. Sorry to disappoint you but both of my parents are black.

I've been asked if one of my parents is white because of my red hair. People look shocked when I tell them that yes black folks can have many different colors of hair!!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 14th July 2010, 11:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] stupid people.

I went salsa dancing the other night at Blue Martini (my avatar pic is from their website) and a lady asked what "island" I was from? I said "None I am from Florida." She goes "did you date a man from PR?" WHAT?! Really? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stupid people
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 14th July 2010, 11:41 pm

LuvMeLuvMyFro wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] stupid people.

I went salsa dancing the other night at Blue Martini (my avatar pic is from their website) and a lady asked what "island" I was from? I said "None I am from Florida." She goes "did you date a man from PR?" WHAT?! Really? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stupid people

WAIT!! If your hair is curly then you are DATING a Puerto Rican???
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next