CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birth Names

+115
AmariC05
MEGAFAITH
SeanymphPrincess
zinny 4a kinks
krys419
CurlyChefRobin
Runtinkrun
TheRYL1
Cnicoles6
Janet36603
cocowantshealthyhair
MsKendrala
WhosThatRedHead
whereswentz!
kurlegurl
dawn1980
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
rayray19
ldwatters
Ebbz
thicktjt88
Sasha B.
CreoleLady88
mesocoillee
BrownSkinDiva
MsChris8
jac.attack
Treece
summerbreeze76
denise78
danniebella
Curly_Aquarius
fnggrant
laleepop14
jada07
curlsunfurled
goombagirl
hayylee
LadyMika
MellowOne
ktoliver5303
SighSidhe
Cherry: extraordinary!
naturalhonney
jamaicacurl
BajanPrincess82
tashafawn24
Tiffy2
lena73
natural813
Deva_87
allicat36
Armywife
Free2Be
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
prettybrowneyes66
PanaR3dd
Curliana
nikismiles
Tierra
MomnWife
NaturalTina
DreamMerchant
guineegirl
cassadie3
bmari3
QuietButterfly
BekkaPoo
novembre
CurlsGalore
SweeTea2011
Nikcoils
Butterfly126
~JOME~
ablockle
EmbracingNaturalMe
NaturallyPrecious
LaToya28
NaturalNixon
StephanieB
newcurlieque
Vee
HAMPTONSFNST
MsJay1121
BlondeByDesire
xtremelyperfect
Lynnieluve
NubieNatty
frivolous
DvaAuNaturel
Jazzyrin
poeticlyspkng
blondie
snappynappy
lumii
Janique
Juices-n-Berries
AdriEm
Tamren
naturalmommyGA
Mz. Thang
Erica5417
Niqui36
popsbaby
hurjurnee
iri9109
KinkyNappyHappy
Karyn
mstokes2008
jlowman1
Heart2Worship
bholmes87
sweetdrk1
dajewel
CrissyQ
119 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Birth Names - Page 2 Empty Re: Birth Names

Post by CrissyQ 7th April 2010, 7:17 pm

Erica5417 wrote:Sort of unrelated, my daughter's name is Angelica. She was supposed to be named "Andrianna" after her father "Andre." Well, after 42 hours of labor, I wasn't naming my kid after him so I had to come up with something else. I looked down and the tag on her baby blanket said "Angelica Healthcare," you can guess the rest of the story. A nurse chimed in with her middle name, "Shanice." My daughter doesn't appreciate the humor of the situation, lol (I was 14, what else did anyone expect, lol.).

LOL, now thats funny!
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 7th April 2010, 7:20 pm

Adrienne Eva-Marie Barton
It would have been Escoffery-Barton but my jackfruit of a father fought my mum on that one. Although, I recently found out that Adrienne Eva-Marie stands for Dark Sea of Bitterness (or something like that) which is kindd of fitting as I tend to get really moody and miserable.
Well Barton is linked to St. Bart's so maybe one day my emotions are going to swallow a vacation spot? -shrug-
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th April 2010, 7:46 pm

My name is Lorece Jenette Shaw. The Lorece is pronounced lor-reese. It still gives me problems to this day because people like to add and subtract letters to it. And no matter whether they see it spelled, I say or what, it never gets right. When I say it, they mistake it for Clarice, or Maurice. I'm like dude, I'm a chick. Why would I be named Maurice??? When they see it written, the pronounce it Loreche, Lorence, Loris, the list goes on. And don't even tell it to someone and ask them to spell it. I get Larice, Lourise, Laurese, and La'Reece. <---- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] R u kidding me??? But it's different and unique so I like it. The only other people I've found with the name is an old deceased white lady born in the 20s (per google) and a German lady I found on Facebook.

My middle name is pretty simple. It's my grandmother's middle name, which comes from her mother's name which is Jeanetta.

My last name is pretty boring. It's Shaw. As if I already have a hard enough time convincing people that I'm African (per daddy) by the way I look (ignorance btw all africans don't look the same), it doesn't help that my last name is Shaw. People are like how are you African if your last name is Shaw. I'm like most LIBERIANS have English last names, as opposed to Nigerians. It really irks me because like Africa is a continent. There are sooooo many different types of people with different ethnic backgrounds. For example, one of my best friends name is Mohamed Arafat. But he's Egyptian and looks like a light skinned black person. If Africa is the continent from which all our ancestors came, why would one think they all look the same since we don't now. Anyways, let me get off my
soapbox. I can get really carried away. Lol.

Oh one more thing. My mom almost named me Krisnaja. Thank God I escaped that one. Lol.

Last edited by Juices-n-Berries on 7th April 2010, 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 7th April 2010, 7:50 pm

Janique Shanaya White....

I got a lot of grief over the years because I am indeed a black girl with the last name White lol
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 7th April 2010, 7:52 pm

Oluwapelumi Motunrayo Temitope Feyisope Tokunbo
But actually my name is just Pelumi

I
And those are just the official 5 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Actually I have 8 but they are not on my birthcertificate and nobody really knows them anymore.
I really don't know how ot came that I have so many names because my parents and sibling only have 2 or 3 names each..
MY parents each give me one, my grandad and grandmom also came up with theirs and probably some aunts and uncles I don't know about..
It's not like everyone in Nigeria has so many names but it often happens(especially yorubas) that you see someone with many names.. like me xD
If I have children someday I'd definately give them names which are not too common but also not one that ppl ask you 10 times if they pronounce it correctly!!!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 7th April 2010, 8:03 pm

Dominique Ruth.

Short,sweet and to the point. Little kids cant pronounce it though. I have been called Domileek, Donimique, Monique and Ebony ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] WTH? How do you even get Ebony from that? Its becuase I'm black isnt it?"). I dont know the history behind my name but I love it!
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 7th April 2010, 8:22 pm

lumii wrote:Oluwapelumi Motunrayo Temitope Feyisope Tokunbo

I
And those are just the official 5 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Actually I have 8 but they are not on my birthcertificate and nobody really knows them anymore.
I really don't know how ot came that I have so many names because my parents and sibling only have 2 or 3 names each..
MY parents each give me one, my grandad and grandmom also came up with theirs and probably some aunts and uncles I don't know about..
It's not like everyone in Nigeria has so many names but it often happens(especially yorubas) that you see someone with many names.. like me xD
If I have children someday I'd definately give them names which are not too common but also not one that ppl ask you 10 times if they pronounce it correctly!!!

lol i'm probably the only one here that can pronounce your whole name...are you gonna name your kids yoruba names?? i definitely know my childrens names will be "american" and pronouncable but i think they will have igbo middle names just so they still have some culture lol
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 7th April 2010, 8:26 pm

I

EPIC. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 9:14 pm

Erica5417 wrote:Erica Anita Thurman-- yes, my initials spell EAT. My twin brother is Eric Antoine Thurman (sound like ann-tony). Yes, schools and hospitals messed up our records by conflating his first name and middle initial into Erica. Yes, I've had to get multiple sets of immunizations because doctors only recorded shots for one of us. Yes, I went through a whole year of school only to find that they only officially had one of us registered. When he died, I had to legally prove that I was in fact alive since the government once again messed up. Imagine calling the social security office and having to argue that you are indeed alive and breathing.

Anita is my maternal grandmother's name and I share it with multiple cousins (apparently all the sisters wanted to name their children after the oldest sister). It's kind of a running joke now, we all have middle names that are derivatives of Anita and Marie (Marita, Maria etc.).

Thurman is a random chosen family name. It seems someone decided to switch it, for reasons I'm unaware of, from "Milom." Yeah, in the middle of my lineage, one of my relatives just changed the family name-- imagine trying to trace your family tree with that. LOL, do I still sound disgruntled? Truth is, I love my name. A lot better than my original name "Lois" thank God one of the aunts talked my mother out of that one.

E wait, breathe!! dang!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 9:16 pm

I

that's a mouth full but I love the heritage behind it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 9:21 pm

I love all the stories..great post!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 7th April 2010, 10:10 pm

I really can't stand my birth name. I'm still swole at my mother over it. Smile I've legally changed it. I actually prefer one of my nicknames, which is a cousin's name...Edith Louise. Edith never left home husband, kids, and all, so that's how I got that name. Nobody ever thought I'd leave!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 7th April 2010, 10:19 pm

I wish i had a meaning behind my name [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 7th April 2010, 10:30 pm

So many great stories. Love them all!! The topic birth name attracted me because I'm adopted. My birth name was Gloria Marie. Named for b/moms best friend. I've met her but never the friend. My name was changed to Lynne Rachell (Ra-shell) by my adoptive parents though ironically my adoptive mom had an older sister named Gloria. That name seems a bit stuffy to me so I appreciate the change! For years though, I thought Lynne was too plain and wanted to change it to Rachell. Sounds far more glamorous having more than one syllable in a name. lol! Today, most people call me Lynnie. And I like that just fine.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 7th April 2010, 10:36 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:So many great stories. Love them all!! The topic birth name attracted me because I'm adopted. My birth name was Gloria Marie. Named for b/moms best friend. I've met her but never the friend. My name was changed to Lynne Rachell (Ra-shell) by my adoptive parents though ironically my adoptive mom had an older sister named Gloria. That name seems a bit stuffy to me so I appreciate the change! For years though, I thought Lynne was too plain and wanted to change it to Rachell. Sounds far more glamorous having more than one syllable in a name. lol! Today, most people call me Lynnie. And I like that just fine.

Thanks for sharing Lynnie. Aren't these stories great?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzyrin 7th April 2010, 10:59 pm

Jazrin Amari Menton ...no special story my mom just made it up she told me she was going to name me solange!!! Lol
Jazzyrin
Jazzyrin

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 7th April 2010, 11:09 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:Barbara Michelle Stokes but I go by Michelle

Barabara after my mom's mom and Michelle after my nurse and the female version of Michael

@Bholmes- thats crazy, my parents thought I was going to be a boy and I was going to be named Michael too lol (Michael Anthony to be exact)

Wow! Smile My dad's name is Michael Anthony. My mom was going to name my sister Michelle Antoinette but my dad said no.

Anyway, my name is Tonetta. Tonetta after my grandmother (Mom's) Bernetta.

~Dva

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 7th April 2010, 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by frivolous 7th April 2010, 11:13 pm

Helina Wink

It means "thought" in Amharic (Ethiopian language) and I'm not going to put my last name up here but it translates to "heavy." So my name means "thought heavy." I think it fits me perfectly.
frivolous
frivolous

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 8th April 2010, 12:01 am

I got the most ghetto n video vixen/boyz n the hood movie type names of all time. Kisha...actually its TiKisha and i make sure i let everyone know NOT to put an E in my name cuz it makes it ghetto. Think kEyshia cole; kEcia, kEisha, kiEsha, Ke$ha (she aint foolin me wit some dmn keh-sha...im like chic thats a fancy way of sayin Kesha [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Kisha meaning the around the way girl, kickin it on the porch wit the fellaz, braiding their hair wit a 40 oz on the side. knows all the dope boyz, long SWV nails wit a fake LV bag who loves goin to the club wit her girls. mean muggin the haters n buckin on those red bones who "think they all that". hmmm, think Apache video "gangsta bytch".

ok ok ok i know i have a wild imagination but i use to HATE hearin my name on all the ghetto movies; menace II society, belly, or anything stereotyping ghetto-ness. So i let it be known i have TI in front to classy it up. i have no friggin idea why my DAD named me kisha and i keep forgettin to ask [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

my middle name is from my mom and i got like 3 gf's wit the same. i plan on passin it down to my daughter someday **gazing into the heavens** i cant stand my last name and cant wait to get married to change it...it'll be just my luck my husband's last name is Mortimer, Roach, Egglestone, Dicksway or some other random name more weird than mine like Boogermuncher or some crap [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...so i guess it could be worse. folks ask if im german or irish...ummm no im BLACK (refer to first name)

Last edited by NubieNatty on 28th September 2010, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 8th April 2010, 12:10 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
mstokes2008 wrote:Barbara Michelle Stokes but I go by Michelle

Barabara after my mom's mom and Michelle after my nurse and the female version of Michael

@Bholmes- thats crazy, my parents thought I was going to be a boy and I was going to be named Michael too lol (Michael Anthony to be exact)

Wow! Smile My dad's name is Michael Anthony. My mom was going to name my sister Michelle Antoinette but my dad said no.

Anyway, my name is Tonetta. Tonetta after my grandmother (Mom's) Bernetta.

~Dva

My dad's name is Michael Anthony as well! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 8th April 2010, 12:22 am

uh oh...long lost sisters up in here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 8th April 2010, 12:53 am

NubieNatty wrote:I got the most ghetto n video vixen/boyz n the hood movie type names of all time. Kisha...actually its TiKisha and i make sure i let everyone know NOT to put an E in my name cuz it makes it ghetto. Think kEyshia cole; kEcia, kEisha, kiEsha, Ke$ha (she aint foolin me wit some dmn keh-sha...im like chic thats a fancy way of sayin Kesha [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Kisha meaning the around the way girl, kickin it on the porch wit the fellaz, braiding their hair wit a 40 oz on the side. knows all the dope boyz, long SWV nails wit a fake LV bag who loves goin to the club wit her girls. mean muggin the haters n buckin on those red bones who "think they all that". hmmm, think Apache video "gangsta bytch".

ok ok ok i know i have a wild imagination but i use to HATE hearin my name on all the ghetto movies; menace II society, belly, or anything stereotyping ghetto-ness. So i let it be known i have TI in front to classy it up. i have no friggin idea why my DAD named me kisha and i keep forgettin to ask [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tikisha Marie Monagan; my middle name is from my mom and i got like 3 gf's wit the same. i plan on passin it down to my daughter someday **gazing into the heavens** i cant stand my last name and cant wait to get married to change it...it'll be just my luck my husband's last name is Mortimer, Roach, Egglestone, Dicksway or some other random name more weird than mine like Boogermuncher or some crap [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...so i guess it could be worse. folks ask if im german or irish...ummm no im BLACK (refer to first name)

i nearly fell out my chair laughing! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 8th April 2010, 1:14 am

NubieNatty wrote:uh oh...long lost sisters up in here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nubie you are sooooo silly! I laughed from the beginning to the end of your story!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 8th April 2010, 1:16 am

NubieNatty wrote:folks ask if im german or irish...ummm no im BLACK (refer to first name)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hello my Irish sister! I still have NO clue how I ended up with an Irish last name [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th April 2010, 1:37 am

NubieNatty wrote:I got the most ghetto n video vixen/boyz n the hood movie type names of all time. Kisha...actually its TiKisha and i make sure i let everyone know NOT to put an E in my name cuz it makes it ghetto. Think kEyshia cole; kEcia, kEisha, kiEsha, Ke$ha (she aint foolin me wit some dmn keh-sha...im like chic thats a fancy way of sayin Kesha [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Tikisha Marie Monagan; my middle name is from my mom and i got like 3 gf's wit the same. i plan on passin it down to my daughter someday **gazing into the heavens** i cant stand my last name and cant wait to get married to change it...it'll be just my luck my husband's last name is Mortimer, Roach, Egglestone, Dicksway or some other random name more weird than mine like Boogermuncher or some crap [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...so i guess it cpuld be worse. folks ask if im german or irish...ummm no im BLACK (refer to first name)

After reading this, I am going to bed. Nubie, you are so crazy!!! I will have to share my name tomorrow. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Goodnight!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next