CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

+66
miamomia
caramelnaps25
LyricurLLy
sweetface1118
Maricopa
BekkaPoo
ablockle
MicaiahTy
CeeC
Pinkpearls
new2curl
caracara01
Peachtree
CrissyQ
wygreen
MsVera
Naturalin2010
caracara
sjoyreed
Allidaughter
JerseyGyrl
happynappy
jerseygirl
Free2Be
Rican42
Freeatlast41
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
jamaicacurl
naturalcrownnglory
padee99
naturalhonney
Lynnieluve
FloridaSunshiny
Russianjoy
Offandrunning
sweetdrk1
TaSiaJaY
Zumbalicious
ElleX
dst27
Naturalpenny
TheRYL1
blondie
Delta87
BlondeByDesire
jcokes
perkynapp
Adeola
Armywife
ShyCurl
savvybrown
Miz B
Natural Wheezes
naturallydestined
Intelligentbeauty
kbelle
Bree125
ChrsLvsBks
lena73
loveself247
traveljunkie08
Rock'n Natural Curls
tshala
NylaCoils
SisterBoyd
70 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? - Page 2 Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by tshala 9th December 2009, 6:21 am

@wizarding wheezer, nylacoils and naturallydestined: thank you! you ladies make my day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . ..and please don`t ask how I look at the end of this work day without a break... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
@ChrsLvsBks: thank you! I`ll definitely try this...

@lena73....I have thought about what you said and I am still contemplating about this age appropriated thing.
Sure, everyone should be able to wear what she likes when she likes it without giving a single thought if it is appropriate or not.
Coming to this point of view is a living process for me. And while moving towards this goal I´d like to feel comfortable with how I look because this makes it easier for me to reach this point (hope it makes sense to anyone).
I admire that you are already at this point and thank you for reminding me of my goal-to achieve a little more indepence on what someone else may think about me and my hair.
This thread is about so much more than "mature" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] hairstyles, for me it is -again- about defining myself and viewing myself with loving eyes...
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? - Page 2 Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by savvybrown 9th December 2009, 11:58 pm

I'm 38 years old and I've been natural for 19 years. I will admit that, I work in a creative field, (my day job is as a film/video editor) so I don't have the same pressures as someone who is, let's say, a lawyer. But I wear twist outs quite often, and twist n curls too. Sometimes with flat twists in the front like my avatar or I will pull up the front with a comb or barrette, and let the rest of my hair hang loose. Many times I pin the curls up, sometimes with a bang or pull them back into a puff. I will also get my hair braided or twisted professionally occasionally. You'll see some of the pics below. There are a variety of styles that can be worn to work. But I understand being natural in an unnatural world sometimes means going against what family, friends, neighbors and coworkers might think. So no matter what age you are, style your natural hair, put on some concealer, put on some lip gloss but don't walk out the door without CONFIDENCE.

- savvy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 12:23 am

@savvybrown- My hair wants to be your hair when it grows up! Your hair is awesome! cheers
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 10th December 2009, 1:14 am

@Savvybrown: I loooove all your different styles!!!

So...I've looked at all of your avatars and photos a couple of times, and I don't see not one wrinkle up in here. Do you use a particular product to keep the wrinkles away? Sometimes I wonder if I should be using something to prevent/minimize wrinkles, so curious if any of you ladies use such a product.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 1:18 am

I use shea butter and black soap daily! I think that keeping your skin moisturized helps with the wrinkles. bounce
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 1:41 am

Thank you all for your suggestions and pictures. I agree we look much younger than we are as I was surprised by the ages that were listed.

Let me clarify, my question doesn't come from a place of being concerned about what others think. If I was concerned about that I would still be pressing my hair. I'm very proud to say that my hair hasn't seen a pressing comb or flat iron in 2 years this coming March. Weak at mind or heart isn't me at all as I'm a very proud and self-educated natural. I can tell you of many conversations where I've been asked the monumental questions, "so you're never going to press your hair out again?" ha ha ha I actually laugh at the looks of amazements when I let them, "no that I have no intentions of doing it in the near future."

I'm simply looking for more options style-wise. I do feel that some styles aren't appropriate for every setting for ME professionally - this is MY standard and not a result of negativity. Now on my time I'm carefree. One of the aspects of being natural that stood out to me as I transitioned was the versitility. I think I can go from funky and wild to something more conservative when I need to and/or when I want to. Actually, this is one of the things that I see non-naturals envying more and more. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm really liking the bun...
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 10th December 2009, 2:35 am

LOL thanks NylaCoils! You know what? I use black soap everyday too!
wow, thanks so much ladies!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and traveljunkie08 do NOT be fooled, there are a few wrinkles there, around the eyes especially. I actually have more of a problem with dark circles and puffiness under my eyes. I don't usually go out without concealer on.

Just like my hair, I only use natural products on my skin. No parabens, sulfates or dyes. I use mineral powder makeup, which I don't wear everyday, I can't wear blush (cuz I break out like crazy) so I just smear a little lipstick on my cheeks. I try to wash twice a day with black soap, and I use grapeseed oil (nothing special just from the grocery store) around my eyes at night. I use witch hazel as a toner. I've been looking for a natural moisturizer that doesn't cost like $20, and I came up with one myself by accident. I take a few drops of grapeseed oil, a squirt of organic aloe vera gel, and a spray or 2 of rosewater in my hands rub them together and then all over my face and neck as a moisturizer.

I also started doing Frizzcurls427 olive oil cleansing at night, and I think it's working!

Check it out at http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/11/oil-cleansing-for-oily-skin.html

Diet plays a part too. I don't eat pork, red meat, poultry, or wheat but I eat fish sometimes, and I try to drink water/tea a lot. I try to buy organic and cook whenever I can as well. I also don't use bleach or any toxic home products.

That's it!
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 10th December 2009, 2:38 am

Well said SisterBoyd. Sorry I sounded too "preachy" not my intent at all. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th December 2009, 12:04 pm

@savvybrown, I love the styles.

I love how hairstyles can vary how we look. As naturals, I feel we have way more options.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 10th December 2009, 12:11 pm

Thanks ChrsLvsBks! I agree. BTW I LOVE your hair in your avatar! I wish I could rock it, but my hair shrinks too much!
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 10th December 2009, 12:28 pm

@savvybrown & nylacoils: Thanks! I'm on the right track. I tried black soap, but found it too harsh, so I just ordered some soaps from Chagrin Valley to try. I only use grapeseed oil or coconut oil as a moisturizer, but I think I'm going to try shea butter again this winter.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by ShyCurl 10th December 2009, 1:28 pm

oshunista wrote:Hi SisterBoyd,

i am 39 and also often asking myself if some style I like is really age appropriate. Thanks to the lovely ladies in the CN blog comment section- they convinced me about the magic of hair adornments and that they are wearable by women of every age. I experiment with flowers, combs, jewels, and scarfs, depending on my overall style. I always make sure that my hair stands out because I think of it as one of my biggest beauty secrets. I recently saw a women with a grey , big afro and she was a showstopper! One of my favourite is a headband with a high bun, classy , easy and can uplift my face in no time. In general I feel more comfortable with a "less is more" philosophy. I am a RN/ICU so at work I wear my hair in buns most of the time for hygienic reasons. On my days off or after work I leave them open as you can see here:

Your hair is so pretty, I love it!!

HTH [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ShyCurl
ShyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 5:44 pm

savvybrown wrote:LOL thanks NylaCoils! You know what? I use black soap everyday too!
wow, thanks so much ladies!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and traveljunkie08 do NOT be fooled, there are a few wrinkles there, around the eyes especially. I actually have more of a problem with dark circles and puffiness under my eyes. I don't usually go out without concealer on.

Just like my hair, I only use natural products on my skin. No parabens, sulfates or dyes. I use mineral powder makeup, which I don't wear everyday, I can't wear blush (cuz I break out like crazy) so I just smear a little lipstick on my cheeks. I try to wash twice a day with black soap, and I use grapeseed oil (nothing special just from the grocery store) around my eyes at night. I use witch hazel as a toner. I've been looking for a natural moisturizer that doesn't cost like $20, and I came up with one myself by accident. I take a few drops of grapeseed oil, a squirt of organic aloe vera gel, and a spray or 2 of rosewater in my hands rub them together and then all over my face and neck as a moisturizer.

I also started doing Frizzcurls427 olive oil cleansing at night, and I think it's working!

Check it out at http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/11/oil-cleansing-for-oily-skin.html

Diet plays a part too. I don't eat pork, red meat, poultry, or wheat but I eat fish sometimes, and I try to drink water/tea a lot. I try to buy organic and cook whenever I can as well. I also don't use bleach or any toxic home products.

That's it!

I've been using the oil cleansing method as well and I'm loving it. Also, I bought a variety of soaps from Chagrin Valley and they're great. When you order you'll the package before you see it! I was using natural black soap everyday, but I think I'm sensitive to it and I just saw on YouTube where sensitive skinners shouldn't use it everyday. Also, make sure you're using natural black soap. Its brown and not black. The ones in the boxes and black in color aren't natural. You can order it online or in your Indian or African stores. I get mine where I get my shea butter.

SavvyBrown I want to be like you when I grow up...I don't have the disipline to eat like that. I'm anemic and nothing else seems to work like red meat during those times of the month. Iron isn't tummy friendly to my tummy. The only iron supplement that I was able to use was the one from Trader Joes' but they discontinued it. I load up on spinach like my names should be Popeye and that put me just under the normal level according to my dr. At the beginning of every year I go on what I call a fast/feast and I take several things out of my diet and try to replace with fresh fruits and veggies. For the most part it lasts over the year, but during times like the holidays I backslide terribly *sigh* Thankfully, I've found several vegan spots in LA that I simply adore. Work in progress...

And no I didn't think you were preachy at all.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 10th December 2009, 6:02 pm

@savvybrown: I've thought about doing the oil cleansing method but bought Burts Bees organe oil cleanser instead. I'm going to read through the thread on it so thanks for the link.

@SisterBoyd: I definitely have sensitive skin, so the black soap everyday is a no no. I ordered it from butters-n-bars, so I'm pretty sure it's the real thing. I think I'll set it aside for a while and see how I like the soaps I ordered from Chagrin Valley.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 6:10 pm

@sisterboyd--I am craving spinach- couldn't figure it out until i read your post!
My body is needing iron!!!

On another note- is everyone married or is there someone like me that is single? I am newly single again- going through a break up and this one is hard. I thought i had met my Barack Obama!- Oh well!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by ShyCurl 10th December 2009, 6:41 pm

NylaCoils wrote:@sisterboyd--I am craving spinach- couldn't figure it out until i read your post!

On another note- is everyone married or is there someone like me that is single? I am newly single again- going through a break up and this one is hard. I thought i had met my Barack Obama!- Oh well!

Im married and its a challenge, we all believe we have a Barack Obama. Who knows what Michelle Obama goes thru on the daily with him. LOL
ShyCurl
ShyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 10th December 2009, 6:55 pm

Thanks ladies, I need to check out Chagrin Valley....

Traveljunkie08 You're welcome! Thanks for the compliments! And she's right, the REAL black soap is different. Mine comes in a jar and is mushy. You scoop out a little with your hands and when you wet it it suds up a little and you use it that way. Can you
please report back and tell us how the Burts Bees went? My cousin seems
to have similiar skin to yours, and she laughed out loud when I told
her to try putting olive oil on her face. Thanks!

Awww SisterBoyd Thank you! You gotta do what works for you. I personally don't think everyone should be a vegetarian. It's not for everyone. I basically do it to stay away from the hormones, because they affect my fibroids which has made me suffer with varying degrees of anemia as well. (There ain't no kinda tired out there like anemia-induced exhaustion I swear!) But you know what is a great source of iron that's good for hair growth too? Molasses. I take a tablespoon a day, it also
doesn't make my tummy hurt like Ferosequel does. I know the diet seems like a lot but my husband eats mostly vegan so the household is all one the same kind of diet. He used to live in L.A. and Simply Wholesome on Slausson was
the SPOT. We also used to get burgers from Astro Burger, on Melrose I
think, and Swingers sometimes for brunch. And L.A. has the BEST farmer's markets!

He makes me crazy though, we're the same age, and he'll get up and do a juice fast or a raw food fast for 5 days workout twice and be RIPPED. Me? I'll do the same thing, workout everyday and I'm just cranky and hungry, not a pound lost.

My doc told me it's because I'm "at that age"...

I almost put him through the wall.

savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 10th December 2009, 7:01 pm

NylaCoils wrote:

On
another note- is everyone married or is there someone like me that is
single? I am newly single again- going through a break up and this one
is hard. I thought i had met my Barack Obama!- Oh well!

Awww NylaCoils I'm sorry. One day at a time sis. 2010 is almost here. New year! New you! New possibilities!

And ShyCurl your avatar pic is GAWJUS!! What do you use on YOUR skin?
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 7:15 pm

@shycurl- lol You are right- Who knows what Michelle goes through! and I agree with savvybrown- your skin is gorgeous!

@savvybrown- I miss my sweetness alot. :-(

Each day is getting better- not really crying as much! You are right NEW YEAR means NEW BEGINNINGS!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 10th December 2009, 7:39 pm

@shycurl: thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..and ita witz the other ladies, your skin is perfect. what`s your regimen?

@nylacoils: I`m sorry. *passing some organic chocolate to Nylacoils*. And may your heart heal soon and may the man who loves you be only a few steps away.

I like this thread!
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 8:17 pm

@oshunista- Thank you (as I gobble down the chocolate)
how many of you ladies are going to see the Frog Princess???
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 10th December 2009, 8:21 pm

me!! as soon as it is released over here (we tend to be slower than the rest of the world [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.])
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 10:05 pm

NylaCoils wrote:@sisterboyd--I am craving spinach- couldn't figure it out until i read your post!

I'm divorced and want to get remarried. (((HUGS))) I had one over the summer and I really thought he was Mr. Right for Me...then I woke up and realized that I had moved too fast and he was Mr. I Should Have Never Got Involved With! ha ha ha I know a bad break up can linger emotionally. I hope you're healing and learning, but giving yourself time to get whatever it is you need to be better.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 10:13 pm

savvybrown wrote:Thanks ladies, I need to check out Chagrin Valley....

Traveljunkie08 You're welcome! Thanks for the compliments! And she's right, the REAL black soap is different. Mine comes in a jar and is mushy. You scoop out a little with your hands and when you wet it it suds up a little and you use it that way. Can you
please report back and tell us how the Burts Bees went? My cousin seems
to have similiar skin to yours, and she laughed out loud when I told
her to try putting olive oil on her face. Thanks!

Awww SisterBoyd Thank you! You gotta do what works for you. I personally don't think everyone should be a vegetarian. It's not for everyone. I basically do it to stay away from the hormones, because they affect my fibroids which has made me suffer with varying degrees of anemia as well. (There ain't no kinda tired out there like anemia-induced exhaustion I swear!) But you know what is a great source of iron that's good for hair growth too? Molasses. I take a tablespoon a day, it also
doesn't make my tummy hurt like Ferosequel does. I know the diet seems like a lot but my husband eats mostly vegan so the household is all one the same kind of diet. He used to live in L.A. and Simply Wholesome on Slausson was
the SPOT. We also used to get burgers from Astro Burger, on Melrose I
think, and Swingers sometimes for brunch. And L.A. has the BEST farmer's markets!

He makes me crazy though, we're the same age, and he'll get up and do a juice fast or a raw food fast for 5 days workout twice and be RIPPED. Me? I'll do the same thing, workout everyday and I'm just cranky and hungry, not a pound lost.

My doc told me it's because I'm "at that age"...

I almost put him through the wall.

Hilarious! Yeah I hate that age thing!

I'm in the Valley so I'm not close to Simply Wholesome. The best I can do is Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (Whole Check). So the vegan spots are splurges when I'm in those areas. Actually, Pasadena is supposed to have a few good restuarants that I need to check out; isn't too far out of the way for me.

I agree everyone can't and should be vegetarian or vegan. I want to, but with the anemia and my lack of disipline its hard. If the tiredness kicks in my mind won't function right and I'll be all over the place mentally. But I'm going to look into the Molasses. I was going to use it for my prepoos, but I read I can get the same affects with honey and I have 2 bottles in my house - PJism showing Wink

I'm going to tell my friend about those other spots you mentioned. We're always trying new healthy eateries. Thanks!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 10th December 2009, 10:15 pm

@sisterboyd- Girl I have written down all the lessons, I learned from this. He was a nice guy. It ended kind of weird. He told me that the Lord showed him the woman he was supposed to marry and I was not her. I was like OUCH! Major lesson that I have learned, is when you see RED FLAGS! Honor them!!!!
In the meantime, I am thinking of volunteering. I have also thought about going to pole fitness classes. The is a poster on here that is taking the class. I just called one of my good friends to ask if she wanted to go to a class. Next, Thursday I know where I will be!!!

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/health-and-fitness-f5/art-of-the-pole-t1054.htm

I got to get my sexy back!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next