CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

+66
miamomia
caramelnaps25
LyricurLLy
sweetface1118
Maricopa
BekkaPoo
ablockle
MicaiahTy
CeeC
Pinkpearls
new2curl
caracara01
Peachtree
CrissyQ
wygreen
MsVera
Naturalin2010
caracara
sjoyreed
Allidaughter
JerseyGyrl
happynappy
jerseygirl
Free2Be
Rican42
Freeatlast41
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
jamaicacurl
naturalcrownnglory
padee99
naturalhonney
Lynnieluve
FloridaSunshiny
Russianjoy
Offandrunning
sweetdrk1
TaSiaJaY
Zumbalicious
ElleX
dst27
Naturalpenny
TheRYL1
blondie
Delta87
BlondeByDesire
jcokes
perkynapp
Adeola
Armywife
ShyCurl
savvybrown
Miz B
Natural Wheezes
naturallydestined
Intelligentbeauty
kbelle
Bree125
ChrsLvsBks
lena73
loveself247
traveljunkie08
Rock'n Natural Curls
tshala
NylaCoils
SisterBoyd
70 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? Empty 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by SisterBoyd 7th December 2009, 6:32 pm

After being natural for almost 2 years I'm noticing that a lot of the naturals are in their 20s, but I'm wondering where are the older naturals (35 and older). Some of the styles such as twists aren't styles that are age appropriate IMO for me and for my career. Going through videos on YouTube I see a lot of videos discussing whether naturals can be professional. I truly believe we can be professional, but depending on your career and the environment you work it everything isn't appropriate. I want to know what are older naturals doing and how are they styling their curls. I usually wear a wash'n'go or a low puff. I just started wearing twist outs for the past 2 weeks, but I've been in the house and working from home on the days my hair is twisted. The days I have meetings and they are more casual I will wear a headwrap if my hair is twisted, but those aren't the norm. Andy by casual I mean I'm in jeans and heels. However, a lot of my meetings I'm in suits.

I've done a lot of work on my hair over these 2 years and I'm not ready to cut it off to wear a short fro so what are my options. Are there any older sisters out there with suggestions? Feel free to post pictures of your hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by NylaCoils 7th December 2009, 7:15 pm

I have a fotki friend who is also 40! Some of her favorite styles can be seen here

http://public.fotki.com/bellazaina/hair-09/april/picture028.html

http://public.fotki.com/bellazaina/hair-09/april/picture031.html#media

this is her twist out that wasn't fluffed.

http://public.fotki.com/bellazaina/20090820summerhair/summerhair018.html

As for me I wear a wash and go- mine is still in the afro stage:

http://public.fotki.com/Nyla-Coily/natural-hair/twist-out.html#media
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? Empty Re: 35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing?

Post by tshala 7th December 2009, 7:32 pm

Hi SisterBoyd,

i am 39 and also often asking myself if some style I like is really age appropriate. Thanks to the lovely ladies in the CN blog comment section- they convinced me about the magic of hair adornments and that they are wearable by women of every age. I experiment with flowers, combs, jewels, and scarfs, depending on my overall style. I always make sure that my hair stands out because I think of it as one of my biggest beauty secrets. I recently saw a women with a grey , big afro and she was a showstopper! One of my favourite is a headband with a high bun, classy , easy and can uplift my face in no time. In general I feel more comfortable with a "less is more" philosophy. I am a RN/ICU so at work I wear my hair in buns most of the time for hygienic reasons. On my days off or after work I leave them open as you can see here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

HTH [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 7th December 2009, 7:36 pm

Thank you ladies! I will admit that I haven't done many buns for fear of damage from manipulation. I'll do some more research on the bun [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock'n Natural Curls 7th December 2009, 9:14 pm

Although some of the styles on Youtube may not be age appropriate, one thing for sure works in our favor-we don't look our age. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I use to be a hardcore wash and go and on occasion I would wear a weave but now I am a big fan of micro twists because I can do just about anything I want and I don't have to worry about catching a head cold going out house with a wet head. Hair accessories can take our natural styles to another level as well.
Rock'n Natural Curls
Rock'n Natural Curls

http://www.bridgitshairboutique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 7th December 2009, 9:24 pm

I'm not quite 35 yet (I just turned 34 a couple of weeks ago), but I decided to peek in on this topic anyway. I have to agree that you ladies DO NOT look over 35. At all!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 7th December 2009, 9:55 pm

Ok ladies, I'm thinking we should make this like a sticky post. We should post each day how we wore our hair and where we went that day? What yall think???'
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th December 2009, 10:52 pm

To my fellow ladies 30 and over, I just finished replying to someone in another thread who had a concern about her hair styles being age appropriate. I will tell you like I told her, "Wear what feels right to you", and forget about giving into the concerns of what others may think. People may think our hair texture is not desirable, or that our outfit is not that fashionable, but I doubt seriously if we are going to surrender what we like to appeal to others, at least I'm not! Do you ladies, as long as your hair is clean and groomed, I say wear it like YOU like and "Rock It Like You Never Rocked It Before"!!!!!!!!!!!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th December 2009, 10:53 pm

@NylaCoils there is a post under "General" entitled "How are you wearing your hair today" you may wanna check it out, it showcases women and how their daily hair styles.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 7th December 2009, 11:22 pm

I am 36 and I think that wearing my natural actually makes me look and feel younger.
like loveself said, we have to wear what makes us feel good. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 7th December 2009, 11:50 pm

@Lovesself247- Thank you for your suggestion. However, I was just thinking since, we (the responders) to this post are of a more mature age group, we could offer support here, on this thread. Also, it would be easier to review the styles. We would already know, that a 35 + woman had already rocked the style and with success.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th December 2009, 11:58 pm

@NylaCoils, I gottcha Ma.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

35 and older Naturals...where are you and what are you wearing? Empty Wow, I Just Posted Something Similar on the General Board

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2009, 12:08 am

I like you feel the same way. I am 37. Here are a few of the styles I have worn in the last few months. Other styles can be seen on my fotki and in the Buttersnbars challenge.

ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 8th December 2009, 12:13 am

@ChrsLvsBks...Oh My God!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY love that up do. All I can say is Wooooooooooooooow!!!!! I wish I could rock that right now during my transition. That is too cute!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Bree125 8th December 2009, 1:44 am

Hello SisterBoyd,

Don't define yourself by a number. I'm 42 years old, and I don't feel my age. Actually, my natural hair has given me my "flyness" back. I work with executives and I mostly wear my hair in a two strand twistout. My hair now appears longer than in my avatar because I've been wearing my hair like the "Big Hair" video by CurlyChronicles. I LOVE IT. I dress professionally, but my hair is funky fresh. You wouldn't believe how many times people at work have asked me about my hair and how did I transition, etc. I understand that you can feel a little uneasy because to others, natural hair may not seem as "polished" as permed hair, but I've learned to not limit myself by what others may think. For some reason, I have more confidence than I've ever had before. I understand at 42 I can't walk around with pigtails, but beyond that, I don't limit myself. You are as young as you feel. I think of it this way, 40 is the new 30. It's funny, so many young girls compliment me on my hair all the time. They love the result but are too scared to give up permed hair. I think that because we are a bit older, we now have the confidence that we wished we had in our early twenties.
Bree125
Bree125

Back to top Go down

Post by kbelle 8th December 2009, 2:13 am

Hello everyone,
I didn't know that 37 was considered ... ahem ... mature [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . But it's okay. I am joking, ya'll I seriously feel like my real age should be 25.
I also work with executives and wear suits almost daily, however I love rockin' my new TWA. I've been taking a few tips from naturals on you tube on maintaining it and I plan to do twists and twist outs.
I have gotten more compliments than negativity.
I am watching this thread closely, because I know I will need more ideas as it grows out. As young as I feel I do not want to wear kiddie styles either, you know?
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 8th December 2009, 2:56 am

I appreciate this thread I am not quite 35 yet. But I am a little more conservative with my style. I like chic looks. So even though I may do a frohawk, it would have to look a certain way (not in braids). I feel like going natural, even though I am still transitioning about 8-9 months), will give me a more edgy look. However depending on the styles I do, I look even younger than I should. GO FIGURE!!!LOL

Bree125, you look awesome.

Last edited by Intelligentbeauty on 8th December 2009, 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 8th December 2009, 8:45 am

Hi everyone,

i cosign the idea of making this thread sticky and post our do`s regulary and perhaps we can also add some skincare tips for our *lol* mature skin.
@bree125 : you make me looking forward to cross the 40`s line. You look awesome!!
@ChrsLvsBks: I have some serious twist envy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . My...you look so pretty...are you sure that you are over 30? And can you please share the secret of the "Josephine Baker" bun you wear on the last pic?
This would go so perfect with what I plan to wear on christmas eve....

And this is my style of the day...work day today...messy high bun a la curlynikki [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 8th December 2009, 9:09 am

I have chills reading this...seriously...i've just been rocking curly fros and puffs, occasionally my hair does get big. And thats when I get the most compliments.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2009, 12:31 pm

loveself247 wrote:@ChrsLvsBks...Oh My God!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY love that up do. All I can say is Wooooooooooooooow!!!!! I wish I could rock that right now during my transition. That is too cute!
oshunista wrote:@ChrsLvsBks: I have some serious twist envy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . My...you look so pretty...are you sure that you are over 30? And can you please share the secret of the "Josephine Baker" bun you wear on the last pic?

This would go so perfect with what I plan to wear on christmas eve....

And this is my style of the day...work day today...messy high bun a la curlynikki [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for the compliments. LOL, yes, I am over 30.

I like your messy high bun oshunista.

Here is the link for the "Josephine Baker" bun https://www.youtube.com/user/crownofHisglory#p/u/51/cnltGcu4TnM
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2009, 12:43 pm

lena73 wrote:I have chills reading this...seriously...i've just been rocking curly fros and puffs, occasionally my hair does get big. And thats when I get the most compliments.

Are the chills good, lena73?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 8th December 2009, 1:15 pm

@ oshunista and ChrsLvsBks - you ladies have some gorgeous hair!!! woot!

Today - I am being lazy- I mixed my henna last night and need to apply it.
After that I will do a deep condtioning and do 2 strand mini twists.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 8th December 2009, 1:29 pm

NylaCoils wrote:@ oshunista and ChrsLvsBks - you ladies have some gorgeous hair!!! woot!

I agree! I've recently BC'd so I'm sporting my TWA but I would definitely wear whatever I felt the mood to wear. Just go with it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 8th December 2009, 2:38 pm

I'll be 35 in 2 months so I figured I'd take a peek in here! I know how you feel, because I look at a lot of styles with cornrows (not necessarily the whole head) and I think, "hmm... if I was about 8 yrs younger..." and they're so awesome. One of these days I'm doing a frohawk, though, no doubt! I usually wear my hair in twistouts, braidouts, twist or braid up-dos. If I'm wearing my hair in twists, they're kind of small. If I'm going to do it in braids, they're almost mini because I feel those are more flattering to my face. My avatar is from one of those braidouts. I haven't done a puff in a while because I don't have the patience for the extra detangling, LOL.

I can't wait until my hair is long enough that I can do a bun like ChrsLvsBks!

And oshunista, I looove your messy high bun! I need to try a TnC so I can work that out..
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz B 8th December 2009, 3:20 pm

I know I'm a little late to this thread but I'm 38 and I work in corporate America. I'm a newbie but I usually wear the Twist N Curl and I use side combs and when I wear it pulled back I rock head bands. I've gotten compliments.

@ ChrsLvsBks- LOVING YOUR UP DO!!
Miz B
Miz B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next