CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!!

+8
Tinkie
swoodward
curly-me-naturally
newcurlieque
blackricangirl
Lynnieluve
pdarden
TLinail16
12 posters

Go down

First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!! Empty First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!!

Post by TLinail16 21st May 2010, 8:21 pm

This is a total challenge for me, coming from the gurl the wore weave since four years old, and not to were its right now is a big thing but a good one, i had to hype myself up today,to go out in public but once i got out, it was fine, ofcourse ppl stared but i just thought of it as a new hair do. i just wanted to know if thiers anyone that remembers there first time out in public naturally, and how did it feel and what was the thing that kept your goin in your journey of having naturally heathy hair also i would like to know what is a good or bad curly afro??? please help.
TLinail16
TLinail16

Back to top Go down

First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!! Empty Re: First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!!

Post by pdarden 21st May 2010, 10:05 pm

my first day... i went to work and stuck my head into my co-worker's office... she thought it was great... i was, however, apprehensive about Bible Study that night... we were worshipping at another church which is huge so i knew that many wouldn't see me... one of my closest friends kept looking at me and talking and finally, she said 'you cut your hair!'.... from those who were already naturals and knew i was transitioning... nothing but praise and support... from some, shock... my cousin looked at me and told his 8 month old son to give me the black power sign...lol.... others... couldn't believe that i had cut my 'beautiful shiny, silky hair off'..... most people know though not to say the wrong thing to me because i can be sweet and cutting at the same time....pastor is my fam so i have be nice nasty sometimes.... lol

the one thing that i can always count on is people copying me at church.... the next week, one person took off her wig and since that time a month ago, she has let go of the wigs and weaves... she's been natural for a year and a half... never knew that... she said that she didn't know how to take care of it.... so i've told her everything that i know... some others have shared info ... one has joined this site...
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!! Empty Re: First Day Wearing My Natural Hair Out Ahhh!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 21st May 2010, 10:13 pm

Look at your avatar, you hair is beautiful!!!

I remember my first day natural....I got a lot of "you cut your hair" followed by "it's cute...you have the face for it." I really didnt care what people thought because I was so happy to finally rock my natural hair.....all 1 1/2 inches of it. LOL!!

If you stick around this site, you will be hanging up your weave up for good.

Welcome to the forum too. I see this is your first post.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 21st May 2010, 10:31 pm

and don't forget the all famous line ... well you can do that 'cause you got good hair... massa was in your family's quarters... UGH!!!!!
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by blackricangirl 24th May 2010, 12:15 pm

I remember the first day I wore my hair out natural. I was looking at one of MahoganyCurls videos on youtube and I said know what... today I'm gonna cut the rest of my relaxed ends off. I washed my hair and I went to cutting. (I transitioned for almost 13 months while cutting little by little at a time). My mom was like there you cutting your hair again and I said "oh but today is the last time though because as of right now I'm all natural and that's no-lye". I rocked a wash and go that day and I haven't looked back since. Believe it or not I haven't really gotten any unusual responses or looks. Everybody just say "you really did go through with" or "I knew u were Cuban"<---- that's so South Florida, especially Miami.
blackricangirl
blackricangirl

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 25th May 2010, 2:41 pm

When I BC'd I probably had maybe 1/2 in to 1in hair left. I cut my hair in the middle of a snow blizzard so there was no one around to see my hair except my husband and some close friends that live in walking distance. It was a Tuesday. That Friday I had to return to work and church and that was my challenge. Also I read the announcements at my church on Friday nights so imagine me having to get up in front of hundreds of people with my new "DO" it was so nerve racking. But I have gotten nothing but positive feedback, those who don't like it dare something to me Suspect Now there are people cutting their hair off left in right in my church!!! Once young lady came up to me and said that I inspired her to cut her hair Embarassed I wish I had decided to go natural a lot sooner. The freedom is priceless.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by curly-me-naturally 26th May 2010, 12:49 am

Well when I wore my hair finally I was really nervous, like TLinail I had been wearing weave for my transition . my real hair had always had some lenghth to it but never natural.

So I had transitioned for a year and felt it was time to unleash the curls . so the first weekend in January 2010 I took out the weave, washed and conditioned my hair and put twist in my hair while it was wet .

My goodness I had not seen my hair like this since I was a little girl so I was nervous and very uncomfortable with the length . and twisting on wet hair when you have a twa !! you get A LOT of shirnkage, so that didn't help.

So for church that sunday I thought I would try to wear a twistout , so when I took it out it was very short . It didn't look that cute to me, then I tried to put on a hairband and wear a puff. Although I was nervous and felt wierd, but I realized that before I left the house that this is my hair , This is how it grows.......this IS ME !

So every since then it didn't matter what others thought of me , It only matters what I thought of my self and I never felt uncomfortable about my hair anymore.

And folks at church gave me so many comliments [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and some even from some men . I was surprised.

There is no "good or bad afro" hair is hair , but most importantly it's just about having healthy hair. taking care of it and finding whats right for you.

what keeps me natural is knowing that people with straight hair can't do the things that I can do with my hair. Knowing that I'm different and stand out and I don't have to try so hard to have volume [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] we all have good and bad hair days curly or straight. But don't let the world define who you are . Us curlies are so UNIQUELY defined !
curly-me-naturally
curly-me-naturally

Back to top Go down

Post by TLinail16 27th May 2010, 11:43 am

Thanks you guys!!! I loved the feedback and it really help me alot.
God bless and lots of Love!!!
TLinail16
TLinail16

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th June 2010, 5:52 pm

I got the same responses as Lynnie - I felt weird but got used to it. Just took time. Love it more and more every day!

Your avatar is lovely!

Last edited by swoodward on 5th June 2010, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a line)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkie 27th June 2010, 8:14 pm

wow this really helped me as well , Next week will be my first time wearing my natural hair out and im super nervous but i know ill be fine after the first 5HRS LOL
Tinkie
Tinkie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 28th June 2010, 12:38 pm

I remember when I wore my hair out the first time as well. It was right out of the salon after the BC. It took some getting used to, but by the next day I was good. I got A LOT of support from co-workers, colleagues, close friends of mine, and my boyfriend (who I met while I was transitioning [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]--if it wasn't for him, I'd still be a Straight Hair Suzy.). Everyone else can take a long walk off a short cliff. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, don't worry. Judging by the pic in your avatar, you look great. Wear it proud.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CoilyBird 25th October 2010, 1:25 pm

My first day wearing my hair out was this past Friday. After we cut my straight off we decided we were starving and went out to eat.. Mind you I hadn't got a good wash in nor had I had the time to "figure it out". Anyways I slapped on a head band and left. I knew my hair probably wasn't looking its natural best but hell, I was STARVING. So I faked it Wink

There were these two guys sitting a few bar stools up and needless to say he kept staring Cool So i left with the thought "if I'm getting these looks when I know i'm rocking a natural DISASTER, just imagine what will happen when i actually swag it out"

However today is my first day at work since.. so far 1 positive comment from my office neighbor.. haven't really spoken to anyone else.
CoilyBird
CoilyBird

http://birdiztheword.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 25th October 2010, 2:19 pm

I have always had short hair so when I cut it all of I had about 1/2-1 in of hair on my head It felt so freeing for me No more beauty salon or appts it was like a burden had been lifted off of me It was amazing!!!!!!!!

Dont be ashamed/embarassed about wearing ur hair out U r beautiful People are always going to have something to say so ignore it afro
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by loving~me~naturally 27th October 2010, 12:28 am

My first BC was November 2007 and I was very nervous and was a bit uncomfortable becuase of the stares from others. My co-workers were not kind but I kept the natural for a few months but gave into the texturizer (for curl definition) and then a "box" relaxer (thinking it would be less harmful to my hair then the salon relaxers). I just recently BC'd again, Friday, October 22, 2010 and I am loving it. I received so many compliments and I am more comfortable with my natural look now than I was in 07 because I know it is better for my hair. I am enjoying this journey. Keep a positive outlook on the journey ahead Smile
loving~me~naturally
loving~me~naturally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down