CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail?

+4
naturallyu
Treece
mrsrenaissance
letha
8 posters

Go down

Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail? Empty Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail?

Post by letha 30th August 2010, 11:32 am

What are you ladies using to get that slick, smooth look when wearing your hair in a bun or ponytail.. I see the pictures and some of your hairstyles in buns looks so slick. Right now I wear my hair mosrly in a bun or fake ponytail and the top of my head frizz up.. I washed my hair and put some detangler & mosturizeron my NG and relax parts and added Aloe Vera Gel all over my head along with my Moisture mix.. Tied my hair up and the next morning it looks great but when I get to work I have the little frizzies popping up..

Any suggestion ladies or what are you using to get that sleek ponytail or are you having the same issues that I am having..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail? Empty Re: Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail?

Post by mrsrenaissance 30th August 2010, 2:36 pm

I have tried several gels & the only one that keeps my hair from frizzing when I pull it back is Ecostyler (the brown one). I actually haven't tried the clear many ppl seem to like (out of stock when I went to buy it so I got the brown). I have tried the one w/olive oil but I still like the brown better.

I start on damp hair & always apply a leave-in underneath....I have to use alot, then pull it back & put on a scarf until it sets. And I always shampoo it out after 2 or 3 dys.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail? Empty Re: Transitioners What Are You Using When Wearing a Bun or Ponytail?

Post by mrsrenaissance 30th August 2010, 2:38 pm

Also, I think you're on the right track w/the moisture mix, etc. you just need something extra (gel) to set it & keep the frizz away.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 30th August 2010, 3:05 pm

Hey mrsrenaissance thanks a lot.. You know this is the 2nd time today I have heard someone mention that brown ecostyler gel and b4 that I only knew about the olive oil one and the clear one.. I thought about adding some extra stuff to my gel just wasn't sure what to add yet. I thought about honey.. I also use the aloe vera gel a lot and I was co-washing daily but I may go 2-3 days if I am using these gels..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 30th August 2010, 3:16 pm

Sallys has 32oz jar of the brown or black ecostyler gel on sale for $3.79 and Walgreens has the 16oz for like $2.79 or close to that I am going to sallys after work to get the 32oz jar..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 30th August 2010, 11:47 pm

Thanks! The sale probably ends tomorrow. I may take the Olive Oil back & get another brown.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 31st August 2010, 9:29 am

I went and I think the sale was only online because it wasn't on sale in the store but I did find a denman brush could not believe it I have searched all the Sallys stores in my town and finally found one..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 1st September 2010, 6:58 pm

I use a boar bristle brush, I havent had the courage to buy the Denman yet.

But right now, I add Hawaiian Silky and then Beyond the Zone Noodlehead and put my hair in a ponytail when it's soaking wet, then the following days,I add more BtZ smooth with a brush, put on a headband and I'm done. My hair may frizz up a bit, but I get better results this way, my hair has been laying down and stretching now. Whereas before I'd wake up and maybe I'd get one good ponytail, then the middle woould shrink when I took out the ponytail, Making a lazy bun my only option... I don't know if maybe I'm doing something different with BtZ making it work better though..

I suppose a gel would do the job better, but I dont like the one I have, I'll definitely have to try EcoStyler one of these days. Too many good reviews to pass up. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 2nd September 2010, 10:56 am

Thanks Treece I will have to get this beyond the zone because I am at the point I will try whatever product that will do the job.. I ended up mixing some honey in my Hair gel but I think I mixed too much honey but my hair was not frizzy yesterday as bad as it usually is.. So when I do that again I have to make sure I don't add too much honey..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 2nd September 2010, 4:25 pm

Glad the honey worked out for you. Razz I haven't experimented mixing products yet, will have to try it soon though.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 14th September 2010, 1:58 am

I usually bun on old rollersets or rodsets. I spray my hair with water so that the hair is damp, place coconut oil or olive oil on top of the water, finish off with aloe vera gel or clear ecostyler gel, brush the edges a little and don my trusty satin scarf. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th September 2010, 7:27 am

Thanks Naturallyu.. I am going to try what I can until I get it looking the way that I want
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by cha_phylicia 27th September 2010, 5:51 pm

I absolutely love the EcoStyler Gel Olive Oil, i use it for almost everything (twists, buns etc.). It's not drying nor does it leave your hair crunchy Smile
cha_phylicia
cha_phylicia

http://chaphylica.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 28th September 2010, 12:10 am

Thanks Cha_phylicia I have the olive oil eco-styler gel
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by cutie_curli 28th September 2010, 2:01 pm

I use aloe vera gel for buns. It has great hold. One thing that really combats the frizzies better than any other product I have tried is Knot Today. I apply knot today and using just my hands, it really smooths the cuticle and allows the frizzies to remain at bay. After that, I add a liberal amount of aloe vera gel for that extra hold. My hair loves this way of bunning.

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 28th September 2010, 2:14 pm

You know what Cutie-curli I have that and it didn't work for me as a detangler but I used it for Kimmays leave in recipe that she had and this stuff is no joke.. Today is the 1st day since posting that I don't have a lot of frizz and my hair looks moisturized and not dry.. Not sure if the change in weather has a little to do with it but I think this leave in is def a keeper in my book will use this now when doing my buns..

Thanks
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 28th September 2010, 8:08 pm

I use ecostyler too but I do messy buns. I don't slick the edges down alot. My hair is so thick it's literally impossible. My arms feel like they are going to fall off. And buns and ponytails give me headaches so I have to make them very loose. Even with all that the ecostyler still works super good. I use the regular clear one, I haven't seen the olive kind in the stores near me yet or maybe it's just always out of stock.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 28th September 2010, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the info jenerette.. I haven't tried the eco-styler clear gel yet.. I am so stuck on the green and brown kind..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 1st October 2010, 12:36 am

Letha keep in mind that certain hair textures just really wont lay flat (unless you flat iron or something).

I dont kniow what curl you have but it can be very difficult to get a 4c curl flat or hair that is very coarse to lie flat. usually people who have finer hair or silkier hair or a looser curl can achieve a smooth look

(my older natual cousin with 3b realized this. she told me "oh just slick it down with gel, that's what i do" then when she tried she's like "oh"..lol

SO I'm sure it can be done, but it can be difficult. i find the best way is to get it as flat as you can then tie a scarf on it

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 1st October 2010, 3:08 pm

Thanks krys315.. I have 3c have and for the longest I thought I had 4a-b.. That might be my issue I know these edges I fight with all the time. Not sure if 3c hair will lye down or now but It's gotten better..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 1st October 2010, 5:22 pm

Your hair looks great. 3C isn't hard to lie down and you guys always have that shine while 4's have more of a sheen.

Looks nice

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 1st October 2010, 6:21 pm

Thanks Krys315.. I was still undecided of the hair type but after reading different explanations of hair types I think I finally found it. Just plan to do more research on that hair type now since I knew a little more on 4 a and b than 3c
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down