CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates

+27
nattyblog
iri9109
krazy coils
Keisha
priceless
NubieNatty
AfrikanLatina
poeticlyspkng
Juices-n-Berries
Karyn
CurlsGalore
SheeTacular
KurlyQT
jcanalena79
bholmes87
ktoliver5303
QuietButterfly
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
sweetdrk1
SisterBoyd
CocaColaCutie
Nikcoils
TheRYL1
KinkyNappyHappy
TerraD
tiashaunteƩ
31 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Empty Re: TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates

Post by sweetdrk1 21st June 2010, 12:46 am

That updo is beautiful!!! great stuff!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Empty Re: TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates

Post by Nikcoils 21st June 2010, 9:07 pm

How did i miss that updo! Just love it! Um and i have used those men clipper's with hubby's assitance cause you've gotta have a stead hand for that. But only once that is all I could take.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 25th June 2010, 4:45 pm

Thanks ladies!

MM update:
I wore that updo style for 2 weeks!!!!! OMG! I finally found a way to
wear protective styles that works! The
braid/twist combo is great for MM and she loves it! Everyday I sprayed
my itchy scalp with water and shikakai, amla or vatika oil. I retwisted
the twists once and rebraided the two back bottom braids (because I got
tension bumps TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_neutral). I don't even braid tight enough to cause too much tension,
but I know that my hair hates being pulled in different directions. If
anyone knows how to prevent tension bumps let me know TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_lol !

I took the style down yesterday and pre-poo'd over night with Shikakai
oil. I shampoo'd this morning with a Shikakai/amla bar and did a quick
henna/amla treatment (50g henna, 50g amla, 2TBsp EVOO, water). Nothing
fancy, I just wanted a little protein treatment in less time. I only
left the mix on for 1.5 hours with a heat cap and I must say it worked!
My hair is stronger without the dryness. I cowashed it out and am now
sitting with Jessicurl DT under a heat cap. I will leave it for an hour.

Now that I know MM doesn't hate protective styling, I am going to stick
to it for the remainder of the summer. I plan to straighten my hair to
check the ends in August, but I may change my mind!

My creativity wears thin quickly when it comes to my hair, so hopefully I
can think of some great braid/twist styles. After I come back from
checking out furniture, I will try my version of Tia's updo. I'm not
sure how great I can braid upside down, but we will see TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_rolleyes .

Work is good! Nights is getting better and I've developed a skin care regimen. I will share once I completely stick to it! Since I work nights, I don't always have the opportunity to cook large meals or do my hair in between shifts (because I rush home, shower, eat and jump in bed LOL). This is why the protective styling has become my new staple! I know that MM prefers being out and free, but it's much easier this way...plus protective styling never hurt anyone...Right?....LOL

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_eek So, the new craze at my job is...BRazilian Blowouts. Apparently it's extremely popular among Latinas and Caucasian women that have curly hair, but it's making it's way around to other ethnicities. Apparently, you get your hair shampoo'ed squeaky clean, they apply a special "smoothing" formula, they blow it straight and then flat iron it stick straight. Rinse it, apply a mask, rinse, blow dry and straighten again. Can we say DAMAGE? My coworkers are raving about it, destroying their curls to get sickly straight hair that looks creepy on them! It seems like a sneaky relaxer to me! What do you guys think? Have you heard about this? Do you know anyone that's gotten this? Have you?

Have a great afternoon! I'll be back with pics!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 25th June 2010, 4:56 pm

i've never heard of a brazilian blowout, but if it's anything like a bkt, after like 8 weeks (i think), your curls will come back in full effect. the bkt does contain formaldehyde though and i don't know how safe that is LOL
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 25th June 2010, 5:07 pm

LOL, I'm pretty sure formaldehyde is bad! But, my coworker said the brazilian blowout lasts for 4 months, so who knows!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 25th June 2010, 6:24 pm

I've never heard of the Brazilian Blowout but that is a lot of rinsing, blowdrying and straightening TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Kopfschuettel I wonder what is in that "smoothing" formula?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 25th June 2010, 7:53 pm

WOW, that twisted updo was HOT Terra!!! I might have to style jack you for that TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 25th June 2010, 9:16 pm

the brazilian keratin treatment def uses formaldehyde...which is not cool...in lab our disection specimens used to be preserved in formaldehyde and the smell would linger for hours and make me nauseous...im pretty sure i dont want that sealed into my strands with a flat iron...but on the brazilianblowoutblog it said

"Please donā€™t confused the Brazilian Blowout technique with anything else. This is a keratin treatment and uses absolutely no chemicals. There are some other processes you can find online which have references to formaldehyde and other dangerous chemicals in them ā€“ this process does not! "

oh well, still not interested lol
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 25th June 2010, 9:27 pm

ooh, terra! i've discovered that the brazilian keratin treatment and a brazilian blowout as essentially the same thing, but the blowout doesn't contain formaldehyde! here's a thread about it from lhcf

edit: ahh, iri beat me to it!
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 25th June 2010, 9:30 pm

lol sorry karyn!
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 2:01 am

Thanks ladies! That's good to know. I wonder what in the keratin treatment makes it stay straight? **running to the LHCF thread TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 879602
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 26th June 2010, 3:10 am

I went back a page and that updo is fierce!! I think my skin is turning green-I'm so envious!!

Now dang it, if one of you people don't move to Delaware and set up a natural hair salon somewhere in the vicinity of New Castle on Rte 273 about five miles from the intersection with Rte. 13.....well, there isn't much I can do about it...but, I can fake cuss about it a lot!

nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 3:43 am

LOL @ Natty. Thanks girl! I'm trying to do the protective style thing!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 26th June 2010, 7:24 am

heyy Terra. Your curly Fro is fierce & those earrings are gorgeous.You better work em!! :-)
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 6:42 pm

LOL Thanks M&B!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 6:58 pm

Guess who can braid upside down TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_lol !

When I started the style, I realized that my brain was not able to put 2 and 2 together and instantaneously braid upside down. So, Thanks to tia's youtube page, I was able to watch her tutorial, to see how her hands and fingers were placed. In a nutshell, after a few straggly looking braids, I felt like a pro and even went back and fixed the straggly looking ones TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_rolleyes . I'm sure the style will only last a week, but that's fine, since I plan to black tea rinse and cowash every week.

Below are pics. I decided to make my front similar to Janelle Monae's signature pompadour, and then I panicked and made a side slanted-chicken version TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_biggrin . Hope you like!

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_70

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_71

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_72

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_73

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_74
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 26th June 2010, 7:13 pm

Great job Terra! Those parts and those cornrows look great! cheers
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 7:36 pm

I learned from the best TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_biggrin . That video came in handy! Thanks for posting it!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 26th June 2010, 7:44 pm

uh oh...i see u miss updo TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_queen ! ur doing a great job!

1. stop hiding ur face u are gorgeous. even on a bad day we still look fierce (easier said than done i know cuz ive taken plenty of full facial pics wit plenty of bags **cue bag lady song** and pimples poppin all over)

2. speakin of faces...gimme a sneak peek of ur skin care reggie. im always down to try something new. ive revisited cleaning my face with black soap again vs my aveeno cleanser and then i moisturize w/coconut oil in the day time and some hair butter at night

3. mens clippers TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_eek u must be as hairy as a wilderbeast! wow! i find it funny cuz im almost 30 and have NEVER shaved my legs. when i shave my underarms it takes a good 2 months to grow back. Now in reference to the "love below" i keep the grass cut but im scared to get a bikini wax but im gonna defeat that fear on my next spa day TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Affraid

4. brazilian blowouts...i heard of it but didnt know it was done. i was always curious but i'd be too scared to keep it straight for 3 months cuz even a blowout with heat for a day took me a minute to get my curls back. i cant even see how naturals sit in the dominican salon cuz u can see the steam comin from them blowdriers in that joint. but u definitely end up wit a mean pocahantas bone straight do'.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 26th June 2010, 8:02 pm

TerraD wrote:Guess who can braid upside down TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_lol !

When I started the style, I realized that my brain was not able to put 2 and 2 together and instantaneously braid upside down. So, Thanks to tia's youtube page, I was able to watch her tutorial, to see how her hands and fingers were placed. In a nutshell, after a few straggly looking braids, I felt like a pro and even went back and fixed the straggly looking ones TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_rolleyes . I'm sure the style will only last a week, but that's fine, since I plan to black tea rinse and cowash every week.

Below are pics. I decided to make my front similar to Janelle Monae's signature pompadour, and then I panicked and made a side slanted-chicken version TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_biggrin . Hope you like!

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_70

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_71

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_72

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_73

TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Photo_74

I want this... u ladies rock with these styles. Im'a have to show this to my sister and see if she can do it on my hair.
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 26th June 2010, 8:15 pm

If I said it once, I said it a million times already!! If one of you ladies don't set up a natural hair salon in Delaware, somewhere on Rte 273, in the vicinity of New Castle, about five minutes from the intersection with Rte 13...ah well. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, you got skillz lady!! Stunning updo fo' sho!!
woot!
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 10:38 pm

NubieNatty wrote:uh oh...i see u miss updo TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_queen ! ur doing a great job!

3. mens clippers TerraD, is a stranger!!!! Hair/Life Updates - Page 5 Icon_eek u must be as hairy as a wilderbeast! wow! i find it funny cuz im almost 30 and have NEVER shaved my legs. when i shave my underarms it takes a good 2 months to grow back.

Nubie, you are crazy! LOL. I will definitely be posting on my skin care regimen soon! I do shave my legs often. Laser hair removal took care of the underarms, when I shave it lasts for over a month. Thanks girly!

Keisha wrote:

I want this... u ladies rock with these styles. Im'a have to show this to my sister and see if she can do it on my hair.

I'm glad you like it, Keisha! Thanks!

nattyblog wrote:If I said it once, I said it a million times already!! If one of you ladies don't set up a natural hair salon in Delaware, somewhere on Rte 273, in the vicinity of New Castle, about five minutes from the intersection with Rte 13...ah well. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, you got skillz lady!! Stunning updo fo' sho!!
woot!

LOL! Thanks Natty!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 26th June 2010, 11:07 pm

OMG I have clearly missed a lot over here at your place. I love the braids! and I agree with Nub stop hiding your face !!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 11:52 pm

Thanks Sweet! When I finish my hair late at night, I look like a zombie and would prefer to spare you guys LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th June 2010, 4:57 am

Since I haven't been here in a while, I'll comment on everything:

1. I have the same problems with earrings. I know ya'll see me in all the cute ones, but I'm always rushing to take them off or my ears start to hurt really bad and pus up. I can't even wear 100% or sterling or hypoallergenic. They all do the same thing. I want a nose ring, but perhaps that won't be good.

2. I am hairy too. Lol. My grandma has no hair on her extremities. I am so jealous. Why couldn't I have inherited that trait? I haven't use men's clippers, but they make woman's clippers shaped kind of like mens for the bikini area. I like using it.

3. I agree with Nubie. You're gorgeous. Stop hiding that face.

4. Awesome updos! Can't wait till my hair is long enough for stuff like this.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next