CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yarn Braids (again)!

+38
MissyCee
Sebastain13
ChrsLvsBks
priceless
freckledmom4
SheeTacular
KinkyNappyHappy
Naturally Esq
Muz
rayray19
cyclingchick
MellowOne
Lynnieluve
CrissyQ
CurlsGalore
TheRYL1
iri9109
poeticlyspkng
mstokes2008
Cnicoles6
QuietButterfly
curlsunfurled
sweetdrk1
nattyblog
wyldhoney
Neems
Naturally Zee
WhosThatRedHead
Renny
CocoEuro
Nikcoils
krazy coils
MomnWife
DvaAuNaturel
jlowman1
ktoliver5303
TiffNotANY
Ebbz
42 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Empty Re: Yarn Braids (again)!

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th July 2010, 12:33 am

First I wanted to say I love your twists and the beanies!! Very cute!

Next.... sorry to hear that you're not feeling supported. I wouldn't let what other people say to you get you down. Everyone's hair journey is their OWN journey. I can't tell you what to do with yor hair. I've seen many of folks on here that choose not to BC and let their perms grow out. I think I even saw a story about that on the main page. But whatever products you deicde to use or styles that you chose to wear is your choice! BCing isn't for everyone and that's ok. Do you and try not to let others distract you from what you want to do with YOUR hair. There is a lot of good advice on this site as well. Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_cheers
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 9th July 2010, 1:37 am

I agree with WhosThatRedHead.....although we visit this site for ideas and advice, it is more important that you do what is best for you and your hair. There are many variables (location/weather climate, hair textures, personal preferences) that would cause a particular product or hairstyle work for me that may not necessarily work for anyone else. Personally, although I have worn short hairstyles in the past, I chose to wear a transition hairstyle for a year and then had the relaxed ends removed.

Going natural is a learning process for all of us. No one is an expert. It is still trial and error for me. Whichever way you choose to transition whether it is to BC to a TWA using the CG method or to transition long term using whatever is the opposite of the CG method - it is your decision. Maybe the person(s) responding to your question(s) intent is not to be critical, maybe it is the manner in which the response was given (like an assertive personality???)that is offensive? At any rate, I am sad to hear you feel slighted. This journey can be overwhelming so maybe a "temporary break" is in order. I hope you will return rejuvenated and encouraged Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_smile .
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 9th July 2010, 12:11 pm

Ebbz,

I'm sorry you feel that way. I haven't been all over the forum so I can't agree with or deny the feelings you have about some of the other sistas/threads. I hope you stay here, though. You're one of the closest in date I have in my transition timeline.

And the twists are cute, the beanie too. Did you do a twist out on them?
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 9th July 2010, 2:49 pm

Thank you for the responses ladies. I take everything that you guys say into consideration. I understand that ultimately, this journey is for me, its just hard when you don't have much of a support system to help you along the way.

@NaturallyZee I didn't do a twist out. I just took them down, co-washed and let it air dry until it was slightly damp and put it in some bantu knots. I haven't taken them out yet, but I will post a picture when I do.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th July 2010, 4:57 pm

Well, I'll try to support you if I can.

Last edited by WhosThatRedHead on 9th July 2010, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 9th July 2010, 6:06 pm

Don't leave......I'll help ya out!! Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 9th July 2010, 8:14 pm

Ebbz wrote:I was originally attracted to the curlynikki forum because the diversity of women here and all of the knowledge and information the forum had to offer. I also saw it as an online support group, in order to be able to successfully embark on a natural hair journey.

Recently I have felt like most women on the forum that are 100% natural may discriminate against, ignore, or look around those of us on the forum that are not completely natural. We need support and encouragement just as much as anyone else. Its not easy to deal with two different textures, especially after being relaxed and it's not easy for everyone to just BC. I feel that most women have the opinion that its either BC or nothing. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I believe we should be more open-minded, more encouraging and more understanding of each other. The purpose should be to uplift each other. You can state your opinions on certain topics without trying to force your beliefs on other people.

I also feel like some women discriminate when it comes to age and using or not using the "curly girl method" or other methods as well. These things are discouraging and make me feel almost as if I am an outcast on this forum in certain areas. I will continue my journey to natural hair but I am not sure If I will continue to be a part of this forum.

Please note that this is just my personal experience/opinion. I did not do this to make any one feel any type of way or to draw attention to one person or group of people in particular. I am just stating how I feel because I may not be the only young transitioner, or transitioner in general, that feels this way.

Hi Ebbz!

I hate to see folks discouraged period. But I would like to let you know that I never BC's and actually I kept my hair in a bun 90% of the time because of the frustrations with the 2 textures. And i would just have my ends trimmed about every 6-8 weeks because my hair was always shoulder length or longer relaxed. I actually just stopped using heat January of this year so all these natural styles are a first for me. I never had any type of forums or boards or internet when I was transitioning 9 years ago. So when i finally realized all my perm ends were gone i just kept my hair in a bun because i couldn't stand braids. I tried a few lace front wigs but the combs were breaking off my edges so i figured let me see what this natural stuff is about cause personally I though my hair wasn't good enough to wear in it's curly state so i would blow dry, press and flat iron my hair just to throw it in a pony tail. I had no support from my family while transitioning that is why i kept it straight with heat.

I want to encourage you to do your best with trial and error with this natural journey. Personally I use this journal to document what i tried and didn't work for me or styles that i love and want to add to my arsenal and to encourage any one that may have been like me and used to think that my curly hair is unmanagable unless it is straightened. People may not comment a lot but they are viewing it and you don't know how you've encouraged someone that just viewed your page. They may see that you are their hair twin or that you live in the same area so you are dealing with the same climate and you give them a push to try something or they can relate to what you're going through.

I hope you feel welcomed and i will try and check in on you later. feel free to stop by an look around my journal if you like. Here's a flower for your place. Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_flower Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_flower Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_flower
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 10th July 2010, 2:22 am

Thanks for all the support ladies and thanks for stopping by. It is greatly appreciated! This journey is for me and the focus should be one what is best for myself and my hair. I feel a lot better now.

I did a bantu knot out after the twists. It wasn't the best but it still came out good. It's probably because instead of standing in front of the mirror, like I usually do, I was sitting in front of the tv and texting. lol

I pinned it up in to a semi-faux hawk and pinned the front section to the side.

[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 11410[/img]

These next pictures are after the rain, and the effects of the horrible, Hand in Hair Disease. I have a serious problem. Notice how my hair looks lifted from the roots.....its because I keep playing with and pulling at my new growth. I can't control it! I pray I can get to the beauty supply store tomorrow because I am in need of a quick weave.
[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 11710[/img]

[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 11910[/img]

[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 12010[/img]
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 10th July 2010, 2:48 am

I dunno. I think your curl definition, hand-in-fro and all, is too nice for a quick weave. Girl you look good!! But, I don't know what a quick weave is anyway so, take the suggestion to not use it with a grain of salt.

I took a peak at the page before and saw that you felt unsupported here. I'm pretty shocked too. This forum is probably the only one that I've found in ten years of being natural that I actually like everything about it-especially the support. And I've lurked a lot of forums over ten years!

Anyway, as far as transitioning, I honestly feel that if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have bc'd. I don't regret my decision to do it. I just have mixed feelings about whether I'd do it the same way if I had to do it all over again. I think I'd do it differently. I liked my hair a lot with coils and then seeing it grow out and the twists plump up and what not. I loved the styling options as 100% natural. But, I always felt that my hair was kind of fragile and letting the relaxed ends take the beating of my early experimenting days would've probably been better for my hair texture. Plus, there wasn't a lot of accurate information around about how to keep my hair strong, soft and healthy. Everybody was just coming up with their own methods and if it worked, great. If it didn't, oh well. I jumped on some bandwagons that I never should have. But I also learned some things by experience that I'll never forget that have really helped me. And the rest is, as they say, history. I would probably do it differently, but I also learned a lot about my hair after I bc'd and that was cool too. It's a catch 22. I say all that to say that it really doesn't matter how you get to Z from A. Just enjoy the trip.

Hopefully, you'll stay on the forum. If for nothing else, so I can see your hair. Very Happy
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 10th July 2010, 5:25 am

I know what you mean about hand in hair. I just started using natural styles for my hair which has been natural for a few years and I'm always touching and pulling at it and tucking it or whatever. As far as the rain goes, my best friend has been telling me for years to always keep a rubberband with me just in case the humidity drops dramatically or I get caught in a freak rain storm, which happens frequently in Houston. LOL
I was exactly your age when I went natural and I never BC'd either. I just kept my hair flat ironed all of the time. Being on this site is gonna open up so many more options for you that you'll be a styling pro by the time you trim off the last of your relaxed ends. Keep going it will get easier. Good luck!
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 10th July 2010, 12:24 pm

Glad to know that you're feeling better. Remember this is YOUR journey and no one elses! I still think it looked cute after the HIH and the rain.... Coulda just pulled it back with a head band or something... Anyway....glad to know you're feeling better! Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 617583
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 10th July 2010, 7:00 pm

Hey girl!!

I'm glad you're feeling better Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Your hair looked cute after the rain and the HIH disease, LOL.
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 10th July 2010, 11:31 pm

I don't know what picture ya'll were lookin at because that was not cute! lol But thank you all for the kind words. haha

Went to my favorite BSS today. I bought:

A razor comb
yellow cold wave rods (two packs)
plastic caps

A new half wig (trying to build up a small collection for the school year so I won't have to twist/bantu my hair every night) Its a Sensationnel HZ 7038. I saw a video on youtube by ThomasAdrianna with it and I fell in love. I had to have it. It was $19.99. I bought the cold wave rods to blend my hair with this wig.

I also bought some 10in Human Hair Yaki tracks in 2 and 33. I made a quick weave wig out of them to wear for the next few weeks since its so hot. This was my first time doing one so short, especially starting out with longer hair, but for my first one, I think it turned out good. The back is a little jacked up but I'll fix that later.

[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 13910[/img]
[img]Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 14410[/img]

The lighter color is more red in it than brown, the camera makes it look a little more brown/golden than it really is.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 11th July 2010, 3:15 am

Hey lady,
I'm sorry if you were feeling secluded. Sad I'm glad you're feeling a little better though.

I love the quick weave you made!! I've always wanted to make one but don't even know where to start and I'm pretty sure it would look jacked! lol I bought a long curly half wig yesterday and had my mom cut it up to chin length. I love it! They come in so handy. I'm trying to put myself on a protective style challenge until school starts so I totally understand what you mean about building up a collection lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 11th July 2010, 3:18 am

mstokes2008 wrote:Hey lady,
I'm sorry if you were feeling secluded. Sad I'm glad you're feeling a little better though.

I love the quick weave you made!! I've always wanted to make one but don't even know where to start and I'm pretty sure it would look jacked! lol I bought a long curly half wig yesterday and had my mom cut it up to chin length. I love it! They come in so handy. I'm trying to put myself on a protective style challenge until school starts so I totally understand what you mean about building up a collection lol

It's hard to wear protective styles since i have the "hand in hair disease". But i'm trying. That's why I've tucked it away for now. And quick weaves are easy, they just take a little practice. I started doing my own before I discovered the tutorials on youtube but they help a lot as far as cutting and styling. This was my first time using straight hair though. I usually just get curly/wavy hair. What kind of half wig did you get? (curl type/brand). I will be putting mine to good use once school starts since I have two early morning classes (no time to do my hair).
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 11th July 2010, 4:24 am

I have HIH pretty bad too lol. I guess since I've never had the patience to sit down and attempt to make one is why it seems so hard lol. It looks like it would take awhile and even when I was relaxed I always ended up missing my hair lol.

This is the halg wig I got that is also a ponytail. I cut a good amount of it off tho so it is now about chin length and I like it alot more.

Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Tp_04_11

http://www.lhboutique.com/Isis-TP-04-p/twoplus04.htm
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 11th July 2010, 1:54 pm

You did a good job on your quick weave!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 11th July 2010, 2:42 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:I have HIH pretty bad too lol. I guess since I've never had the patience to sit down and attempt to make one is why it seems so hard lol. It looks like it would take awhile and even when I was relaxed I always ended up missing my hair lol.

This is the halg wig I got that is also a ponytail. I cut a good amount of it off tho so it is now about chin length and I like it alot more.

Yarn Braids (again)! - Page 3 Tp_04_11

http://www.lhboutique.com/Isis-TP-04-p/twoplus04.htm

It did take me a while but that's only because I had to cut some much hair. I love the half wig. I like the fact that it looks so natural. It looks similar to mine. I would post a pic but the pic online doesn't do it any justice at all. Whenever I wear it I'll post one though.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 11th July 2010, 2:43 pm

WhosThatRedHead wrote:You did a good job on your quick weave!

Thank you!
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 12th July 2010, 1:49 pm

Nice quick weave. Protective styles usually are the way to go for the HIH disease. I usually go full cap wig and have my own hair flat twisted or cornrowed so when i take it off i am still not meesing with my hair.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 12th July 2010, 4:21 pm

Girl that quick weave is cute! And that knot out was too. Nice and simple. I wish I could do one, but I'm going to stick with wigs.

Another style you can try: Cornrows and a ponytail. I'm going to have my friend cornrow the top of my head and I bought a cute puff pony for the back . Might even get the back of my hair braided up into the pony. Gonna do the cornrows with braid hair so it says tight longer.

Glad you're sticking it out Ebbz.
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 12th July 2010, 5:27 pm

Hi there. I just had to stop in and see what prompted you to not feel supported. I have only been here since December or January and I have to say that I've felt nothing but support especially from Sweet and Lynnie. I think everyone has their opinions about natural hair and how best to go about it and that's cool. That's the way the world is... So we must just "do us". In any case, you got our attention and we are definitely here for you. Sometimes I wish I'd transitioned longer! But kudos to you for doing so and sticking to it. I like your hair and the styles you've shown us so far. Keep at it, be encouraged and the payoff will be great! OH! And check out the big sister thread! You might find that helpful.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 12th July 2010, 7:08 pm

npmoore04 wrote:Nice quick weave. Protective styles usually are the way to go for the HIH disease. I usually go full cap wig and have my own hair flat twisted or cornrowed so when i take it off i am still not meesing with my hair.

That's a good idea. I just wrapped mine, but it probably would have been better to braid it. When I start wearing my new half wig, I'll braid it.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 12th July 2010, 7:10 pm

Naturally Zee wrote:Girl that quick weave is cute! And that knot out was too. Nice and simple. I wish I could do one, but I'm going to stick with wigs.

Another style you can try: Cornrows and a ponytail. I'm going to have my friend cornrow the top of my head and I bought a cute puff pony for the back . Might even get the back of my hair braided up into the pony. Gonna do the cornrows with braid hair so it says tight longer.

Glad you're sticking it out Ebbz.

Thanks! A lady in one of my summer class has been transitioning for 7 months and she had a puff ponytail. That would be a cute hairstyle to wear in this heat. Next time I go to the hair store, I'll buy one. Post some pics whenever you get it done.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 12th July 2010, 7:16 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hi there. I just had to stop in and see what prompted you to not feel supported. I have only been here since December or January and I have to say that I've felt nothing but support especially from Sweet and Lynnie. I think everyone has their opinions about natural hair and how best to go about it and that's cool. That's the way the world is... So we must just "do us". In any case, you got our attention and we are definitely here for you. Sometimes I wish I'd transitioned longer! But kudos to you for doing so and sticking to it. I like your hair and the styles you've shown us so far. Keep at it, be encouraged and the payoff will be great! OH! And check out the big sister thread! You might find that helpful.

Thank you...I think that If I make it through these first four months, I'll be ok. And I will look into the big sister thread.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next