CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yarn Braids?? anyone tried them?

+5
knatural
labon10
Sasha B.
Lynnieluve
naturalchic
9 posters

Go down

Yarn Braids?? anyone tried them? Empty Yarn Braids?? anyone tried them?

Post by naturalchic 28th May 2010, 12:19 am

I have been seeing post about yarn braids...has anyone tried them? what are the pros and cons of the style?
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Yarn Braids?? anyone tried them? Empty Re: Yarn Braids?? anyone tried them?

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 12:34 am

LadyMika has done yarn braids. I think she is preparing to put a set in this weekend. Check out her thread in the Curl Street Journal section of this forum...If you do a search of her name, it should pull it up.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha B. 28th May 2010, 2:18 am

I lived in Alaska for 8 years, where I met my best friend-->her mother's worn yard braids since I've known her (which is about 15 years)--I've never seen her natural hair, but I do know that living in a cold climate like the one we lived in, could do a number on your hair. But she always kept the yarn braids in and it seemed to be a good protective style for her hair that really did a great job preventing breakage caused by the dry climate.
Sasha B.
Sasha B.

http://thisisshe.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 28th May 2010, 8:38 am

I put them in my daughter's hair about 3 weeks ago. They only lasted about 2 weeks, but that is with any type of extensions in her hair. She is a gymnast, so her head makes a lot of contact with the floor, during various skills.

Didn't see any cons. The pros were the yarn only cost $2.50, only used one package, very light, and easy to take down and wash.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by knatural 28th May 2010, 7:06 pm

I've tried them and they are easy to put in and maintain. It took me about a day and a half because I was taking breaks and taking care of the kids. I loved them and will probably put them in again in the winter. Be aware that the braids are heavy when they are soaking wet. Try them, I think you will love them!
knatural
knatural

http://knaturalandknit.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 28th May 2010, 8:06 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:LadyMika has done yarn braids. I think she is preparing to put a set in this weekend. Check out her thread in the Curl Street Journal section of this forum...If you do a search of her name, it should pull it up.

Thanks Lynn i will look her up.
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 28th May 2010, 8:14 pm

Thanks ladies for your responses I can not get the multi-quote link work so here it goes!

@ sasha....I can only imagine what the alas Alaskian weather can do to our hair. thanks for sharing.

@labon, thanks for sharing...I do like that the extensions cost a whopping $3 bucks, lol woot!

@knatural- I was thinking about trying them, I can twist, plait and flat twist my hair...now my only concern is that my hair is not black so it will be tricky finding a match so that might keep me trying them. but the ones i have seen looked really cute almost like dreads.

does anyone know if there is anything special to do when washing them?
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 9:55 pm

Are you posting from your phone? Multi-quote doesnt work when you post from your phone. (at least from my blackberry it doesnt)

If you are posting from your computer, click multi-quote for each comment you want to respond to, then at the bottom of the screen click post reply.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 29th May 2010, 8:14 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Are you posting from your phone? Multi-quote doesnt work when you post from your phone. (at least from my blackberry it doesnt)

If you are posting from your computer, click multi-quote for each comment you want to respond to, then at the bottom of the screen click post reply.

hey Lynnieluve, im posting from my computer, I think it or I was having technical difficulties, lol...thanks for your help, hope all is well.
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha B. 29th May 2010, 8:32 pm

I talked to my friend's mom last night--she said that in her experience, yarn braids only really have two cons: 1) Taking them out (after wearing them for several month, like she does) they can be somewhat difficult to take out. She said it's kind of like taking out dreads, because yarn can loc your hair. 2) According to her, "It's kind of like washing a sweater" because it gets heavy when saturated with water and it can take a while to dry all the way.

Oh! And she said to tell you that matching the color of the yarn to your own hair isn't as bad or hard as it might seem! She said people will start to think it's your hair and won't be able to tell the difference** lol
Sasha B.
Sasha B.

http://thisisshe.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 29th May 2010, 8:37 pm

I had them about 12 years ago. I can't remember any cons. I liked them.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 29th May 2010, 8:49 pm

Sasha B. wrote:I talked to my friend's mom last night--she said that in her experience, yarn braids only really have two cons: 1) Taking them out (after wearing them for several month, like she does) they can be somewhat difficult to take out. She said it's kind of like taking out dreads, because yarn can loc your hair. 2) According to her, "It's kind of like washing a sweater" because it gets heavy when saturated with water and it can take a while to dry all the way.

Oh! And she said to tell you that matching the color of the yarn to your own hair isn't as bad or hard as it might seem! She said people will start to think it's your hair and won't be able to tell the difference** lol

Thanks Sasha, my hair is kind reddish so i wonder what color to even try? i will have to see what colors are out there, but thanks for ur info....have a fab weekend!!! run
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 29th May 2010, 8:50 pm

justicenga wrote:I had them about 12 years ago. I can't remember any cons. I liked them.

Thanks, justicenga...wow 12 yrs ago, i thought this was something new, lol...thanks for ur info, have a fab weekend. dance
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 31st May 2010, 7:08 pm

I have some in now that I did a few weeks ago and I LOVE them!
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 31st May 2010, 7:09 pm

Here they are [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st June 2010, 1:10 am

I just did mine on Saturday; pics are in my CSJ. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 24th September 2010, 12:47 pm

I am looking to get them in two weeks.. how long do you think i can keep them in before they loc??
I really dont want them to loc so im not sure if this is what i need... I am looking to keep them in for two months...
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down