CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nikcoils - Shingling- Do you have any Tips?

+45
cyclingchick
ktoliver5303
MsJay1121
SisterBoyd
BlondeByDesire
funkyhairchic
Intelligentbeauty
Neems
Notthecoolmom
DvaAuNaturel
naturallynola
kinksncurls
BajanPrincess82
MomnWife
thetiffany
Juices-n-Berries
nattyblog
WhosThatRedHead
CocoEuro
tiashaunteƩ
Keisha
LaToya28
AfrikanLatina
priceless
CrissyQ
Karyn
swoodward
curly-me-naturally
TheBigBoyAssGayBoyg
CocaColaCutie
CurlsGalore
naturalchic
NubieNatty
TheRYL1
krazy coils
ChrsLvsBks
TurquoizBlue
jlowman1
bholmes87
poeticlyspkng
Lynnieluve
QuietButterfly
sweetdrk1
KinkyNappyHappy
Nikcoils
49 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Empty Re: Nikcoils - Shingling- Do you have any Tips?

Post by Nikcoils 22nd July 2010, 1:27 pm

okay the pics i posted don't give this hair style any justice. One of my coworkers actually retook some pictures with her camera phone that came out so much more brighter. I guess better lighting then at my home. so when she emails them to me I will repost them. When i saw the pics i took I even said OOOOH AHHH that is cute. Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Lol
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Empty Re: Nikcoils - Shingling- Do you have any Tips?

Post by Nikcoils 22nd July 2010, 6:27 pm

The better pics of my updo

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Pinupt14

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Pinupt15

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Pinupt16
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 22nd July 2010, 9:42 pm

My Blast from my past

Okay this is the oldest pics I can find which is from about 8 years ago. I was transitioning about a year here. It's was taken about a month before hubby proposed. I never had thinning issues when I had the cream crack but i did shed like a dog. I think the longest my hair was BSL with the perm. At this stae i was growing out some layers cause i used to wear my hair flipped all over in college and i loved cutting my hair short in the front and keeping it long in the back.

November 2002(transitioning for about a year)
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Img01510

Valentine's day 2008 (No perm all natural) just press and flat ironing hair went in a bun the next day due me having puffy hair the next day. I just couldn't get over not having that slick look.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Nikcoc10
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 22nd July 2010, 11:04 pm

Your updos look amazing!! I really like this current one. VERY professional! I used to have the hardest time with my braiders to come up with a look that could work at work and out of work too. This looks great!!

I I love you YT!!
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 25th July 2010, 3:51 pm

Work it...npmoore...you're my idol! Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 678474
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 26th July 2010, 3:37 pm

Happy Monday Ladies!

Still rocking my previous updo except I unpinned it and threw it in a low bun. I plan on taking it down this week I need to figure out another style. Well went over my mom's house Saturday to pick up my over head dryer and she ask why do you need it? I told her I was thinking of doing a roller set on my hair. Her response on your nappy hair? My response um yes on my natural hair, you know that is possible. She just reponds that is for permed hair only. I just shook my head and told her no it's not! Now I feel like the I've been challenged and determined to show her I can wear a roller set on my hair. And after this convo she said I did a good job on my cornrows...uh mom look closer they are twists. SO she asked me to re-cornrow her hair for her wig wear, I just 2 strand flat twisted her hair and braided the ends. Because i know my cornrowing skills are nonexistant. While I was doing her hair I told her her grey was coming in pretty and trying to get her to cut her hair. We'll see where this goes.

So my challenge is to do a decent enough roller set on my own hair to show her it isn't only for perm laden hair. I think I might just need to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy those curlformers. ($80 sigh that is a lot of dinero on a hair product)
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 26th July 2010, 5:19 pm

Can't wait to see the roller set!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 27th July 2010, 4:06 pm

Nice updo and I cant wait to see the rollerset!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 27th July 2010, 4:15 pm

Wow! No, Moms did not hit you with the nappy hair comment! LOL

Yeah, you gotta take the challenge! You cannot go out like that...Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_cheers

What about flexi-rods? That would be pretty on your hair. They are cheaper than the expensive-azz curlformers! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 27th July 2010, 5:02 pm

i've seen alot of people doing those flexi rods i may need to try them just weird how they stay in place at the bottom without a clamp.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th July 2010, 8:31 pm

TheRYL1 wrote:Wow! No, Moms did not hit you with the nappy hair comment! LOL

Yeah, you gotta take the challenge! You cannot go out like that...Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_cheers

What about flexi-rods? That would be pretty on your hair. They are cheaper than the expensive-azz curlformers! ;-)

Oh yes her mom did. Honestly, we should start recording the naysayers. I am just about ready to hit the play button every time someone looks at my hair at home!!! Thereby saving them the trouble of having to use precious oxygen to dis my hair. Plus it's the same "no you can't" no matter how many times you can and do!!!

Your mom is challenging you!!! Secretly, I bet she knows you can do it. Maybe she's thinking of getting you to do it on yourself as practice for her styles!

(She sounds so funny!!! I can picture her skeptical look as she glances sideways at your hair!!!)

I am going to try the bendys first too but I am all over the curlformers. I'll let you know how I make out this weekend. We should check out youtube.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th July 2010, 9:08 pm

You're so right. It's a gift and a curse that we have to be "natural hair representatives" It's nice to show people what our hair can do. But it can be frustrating when there's so much pressure to "prove" something to people... But I digress, can't wait to see the rollerset. I'm gonna hold out on the curlformers until my hair gets a bit longer.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 27th July 2010, 9:13 pm

i've been stalking every type of roller set from per rods to curlformers. I attempted it a few months ago and it was an epic fail due to me applying to many products, Tia and Chrs told me less is more like just the setting lotion and a light oil. I may revisit the roller set cheat it is on You tube. I think a few vids or up on it and chrs did one as well and it came out pretty.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 30th July 2010, 2:43 pm

Happy FRIDAY!!!!

Well I took my 2 week old twist down today with the flat twist still in tact and my twistout is awesome!!! I have afriends birthday party to attend after work so all I ave to do is change my clothes and refresh my make up! I think in in i flat twist the other side I will finally be able to achieve my desired fro/fauxhawk look.

But YAY!! today is payday and I get to got search for some rollers either curlformers (I have to get the extra long and wide for 22 in long hair) and if i can't find those then it looks like i might have to go witth the flexirods. So I can shut the haters up in regards to me being able to do a roller set on my "nappy" hair. I really despise the fact that majority of my hair hater are on the home team and when i say that I say my immediate family. I have a aunt who is here from tennesse and she saw me a few days a go with my twist in and she gave me the GAS face and said you wore your hair like that to work?(I work in HR at a public university) I replied with my own stink face yeah! and there is nothing wrong with it, remeber sweetie i live and work in California and even though I am in HR I work on a campus where the atmosphere is a little bit more liberal, there are plenty of women on campus that wear their hair like this and hold a variety of positions...so please Auntie let's not go there about my hair, because I don't want to comment on yours. Her reply, OK i'm sorry your right i am coming from the south and it is different out here. UGH! Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes let me find these rollers...not sure if i have the paitience for ebay.

So ladies if you've used curlformers or Flexirods? What do you put on you hair prior to applying the rollers/curlformer? and what setting lotion do you use? I have some 5 year old dusty Motions Setting lotion and I have no idea if it is any good.

My last set was a fail due to applying way to much products.

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Twisto10

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Twisto11
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 30th July 2010, 2:50 pm

I wished there was a way to change the title without having to post another reply. Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Confused especially when you forget to change it.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 30th July 2010, 4:18 pm

Hey NP,

Haters...they are everywhere! LOL So sad we have to combat them in our own homes...SMH.

As for setting lotion for a flexi-rod set, I've used the old relaxer stand-by...LottaBody! You know just be sure to dilute it (1 pt. LB, 3 parts water)...or you will regret it big time! ;-)

OK...now I may have to try a flexi-set this weekend just to see how it'll look on my fully natural hair (I liked it when transitioning). Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_biggrin

Can't wait for your results!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st August 2010, 1:27 am

npmoore i love your hair! about the haters, let them hate and i am sure that roller set will be fab-o. i plan on trying one very soon (i have 4c or whatever the kinkiest, thickest hair is lol)
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 2nd August 2010, 1:59 pm

Your hair looks good! I really don't see a fail!!

I love the side curled 'do! Very lovely!

My parents and sibling are cool with nappy hair. My husband and my son are the ones to win in my family. Whenever I take my hair down, he's always like, "Why don't you go do something with your hair?" That's probably his biggest fault. But, when I do it...I mean really do it (it's got to be glamorous now), he's all into it! My son, I've seen that he has an interest in mixed chics. Anytime he talks about a girl he likes, he says she is pretty and has long hair! He was around when I was wearing straight hair down my back. His dad still tells him stories about it. It's like I killed my claim to beauty to them, I guess, lol! Anyway, I just hope by the time he gets a little older, after having a mother with it, he'll learn to appreciate kinky hair. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a preference, but I don't want him dissing the sistas by any means because of his silly father's straight hair hang-ups. It's messed up when our culture brainwashes us into dissing ourselves.

I digress though. You look fabulous darling! And I like the eyeshadow too!

Oh yeah, I like flexirods but I didn't know curlformers cost so much. They didn't look to be that price at Sally's...but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Anyway, I just like some kind of oil, some leave-in (I use alba) and a fix like the JCS Condition & Sculpt. I haven't tried with DM Miracurl Jelly, but I will eventually because I love that stuff for a soft-hold fix too.
nattyblog
nattyblog

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 2nd August 2010, 3:22 pm

Happy Monday Ladies!!!

OK I have never done a review of any kind on any type of hair products so bear with me. So I bit the bullet and purchased me some curlformers. NOTE: I've been stalking every Youtube video out there about curlformes (white, black, hispanic, curly, staright, relaxed, short, long) just so i could see the process and the out come and the pros and cons each person experienced. What I didn't come across is what I experienced this weekend that i did not see on not one video.

Let me start by saying if you don't know about shrinkage being a major deception on the length of your hair you may need to literally pull out a ruler and drench your hair in water pull it as straight as you can while looking forward take a picture and then take that in to Sally's to show them how long you hair truely is....OK I was thinking of ordering the Curlformers from the company directly but i didn't want to wait. The reason why is my initial thought was that I need to order the EXTRA LONG and EXTRA WIDE Curlformers because it is for lengths up to 22 inches. I really wanted to do this style this weekend. So I went to Sally's BSS and they had a salon kit that had 40 Long and wide rollers and 6 short and wide rollers and the wand. The clerk at the store told me you should have no problem mind you my hair in twist out and my hair is at my shoulders unstretched. And i explained my hair is close to waist length I think these rollers might be to short. SO she took out a sample one I pull my hair past my bra strap and she unraveld the roller and it look like it would fit. so i bought my Elasta QP smoothe as silk styling foam and some serum and was sold. Her are the pictures of my experience, with comical captions.

How my hair looked when i went in to Sally's (looks can be deceiving)
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Twisto14

Beginning to put the Curlformers in my hair at 10:48pm (what was a smoking starting my hair that late on a Saturday night knowing I got to be a church at 8am) Do you see what I see? about 4 inches of hair that DID NOT fit in the Curlformers so I ended up haivng to put perm rods on the ends. Oh I forgot to mention I am roller challenged. My face is not happy.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo10

10:49pm let's start on my next section of hair (I put too much hair in the roller). Let me see what i am working with not that high up on my head maybe my hair is shorter and will fit. NOT! If your hair is BSL or longer stretched please purchase the EXTRA LONG and EXTRA WIDE Curlformers.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo11
same section unstretched (DUMB SHRINKAGE) We have a love hate relationship. I really thought well if it is unstretched it should fit. I was so wrong.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo12

1:31am starting on the last quarter of my head can you see I am tired and ready to just put this in a ponytail and go to sleep. Now 2 hours isn't from the curlformers which are really easy to put in. I probably would have been done in an hour. It's the dumb perm rods that keppt unraveling and breaking and was my main reanson for looking for another way to rollerset my hair.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo13

So after I finished the last section. I just went to sleep. The Curlformers are definatley easy to sleep on. It was the PERM rollers that gave me a crook in my neck and forced me to sleep pretty. Mind you I only got 4 hours of sleep and the rollers/Curlformers were in for only that time. I want to sit under my dryer for atleas 30 minutes but I was beyond deliirious at 2am. So here is the take down at 7am before going to church.
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo14
I LIKEY! Unfortunately i didn't take pics of how i styled it (just pinned up acouple in the front.) I couldn't be late to church I'm on the Praise and Worship team.

This is the front and back today (2nd day hair). Just shook them out and left for work. Just through on a satin bonnet at night. I see how I got lazy and had bigger sections, in the upper back sections. Next time I will start earlier and make smaller sections and sit under the over head dryer for at least 30 minutes. Because the larger sections were still a lil damp at the root. but i only had the rollers in for 4 and half hours with NO HEAT USED AT ALL. I still had about 6 unused rollers. and i never used any of the 6 short rollers. my bangs were to long for those. So i used 36 out 46 rollers.

Front
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo16
Back
Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Curlfo15

and my pic of my Covergirl Orange Eyeshadow I wore today(For my Make up LOVERS OUT THERE)

Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Cgeyes10

So if I had to give this CURLFORMERS a Rating I would give it Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_rr Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_rr Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_rr Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_rr out of 5 FROS.

Only because if your hair is longer when stretched no matter how hard you try your hair won't fit unless you purchase the longer one that are in a salon kit and they were about 15 dollars more not including shipping and wait time. I wish I could have gotten those instore and only Sally's Beauty Supply Stores are authorized sellers and the curllformers website. And all i used was the setting foam on damp hair. I could have purchased the longer ones in a start pack but you only get about 5 for $13. And they only had 2 packs at the Sally's I went to and it still would have totalled about $80 if i were able to purchase the 6 or 7 packs 5 I would need to do my entire head. I reall think they are a great investment. I plan on cutting my hair at the end of the year so I am sure they will fit by then. Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_lol Have a great day Curlistas!

Last edited by npmoore04 on 2nd August 2010, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 2nd August 2010, 3:41 pm

Great Curlformers results! I will try them when my hair gets longer.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 2nd August 2010, 8:25 pm

Love the results! I applaud you for doing a rollerset with waist length hair!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 2nd August 2010, 9:08 pm

Excellent results! I want to try them some time. But I'm a little preoccupied at the moment....But after seeing your hair, I'm definitely going to get some!
nattyblog
nattyblog

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 2nd August 2010, 10:43 pm

It turned out really nice!!! BTW I loved your facial expressions in your pictures!!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 3rd August 2010, 1:15 pm

WhosThatRedHead wrote:It turned out really nice!!! BTW I loved your facial expressions in your pictures!!!

GIRL! I seriously was thinking it's 1:30 in the morning I am goona be pissed if I did all this and it isn't dry in the morning. Maybe i should throw this last section in a pony as is...I would've been looking a hot mess at church but they would just assume it's another natural style i came up with if I went there with a half hair do. Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Lol
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 3rd August 2010, 2:06 pm

Your hair is soooo long! Nikcoils -  Shingling- Do you have any Tips? - Page 7 Icon_eek Wow...

Your results turned out great! I ALWAYS get tired when I get to the back of my head while styling.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next