CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kea::Curls

+32
tiashaunteƩ
TerraD
NaturalChica
truet
AfrikanLatina
Pinkrage
BlondeByDesire
traveljunkie08
lovesunshine17
sweetdrk1
Blackbeauty
Preezie
Freestyles
Tamren
Intelligentbeauty
BlakButterfli
lena73
cococurly
Lynnieluve
CocaColaCutie
splitsun
ChrsLvsBks
HumanNature
.:Eden:.
jamaicacurl
adiaha
Curly Film Chick
curly+kinky+fierce
Corygentri
LilMsPuddles
dajewel
Kea::curls
36 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Kea::Curls - Page 4 Empty Re: Kea::Curls

Post by Curly Film Chick 28th December 2009, 3:21 pm

your curls are so nice, I really just want to run my hands through it Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 5:43 pm

fab curls!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 28th December 2009, 6:37 pm

glad ur back!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th December 2009, 7:19 pm

***You know you are a Product Junkie,when reading this post makes you want to go TJMaxx.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 28th December 2009, 9:07 pm

TJ Maxx and Marshall's definitely have good deals on hair stuff. I'm not allowing myself into either for the next 30 days.

Kea Curls your hair looks fab and has grown very quickly. Love it!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th December 2009, 10:43 pm

I am jealous, you found EO conditioners in a store, man. Like lynnieluve, I am wondering if I should check out the stores near my job and home soon. Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_flower
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 29th December 2009, 4:20 am

I just took a peak at your then and now pics and your progress is marvelous darling! I'm going to have to tell my sis about EVOO + Castor oil. I HAVE CURL ENVY!
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 31st December 2009, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the compliments ladies.

I can definitely use some, because i'm feeling a little disheartened today. Tomorrow marks the end of my week "out of town" i have been visiting my father and family in Virginia. Awhile back, I stated that I was concerned about my Dad's reaction to my impromptu BC, but i've learned that I should have been worrying about everyone else!!! While I have definitely enjoyed my visit and spending time with my family, I have certainly faced the most opposition and closed-mindedness to natural and African American textured hair, since my arrival.

I have 3 younger brothers total: one who lives with my mother in Florida (we have different fathers) and 2 who live with my father in Virginia (we have different mothers). Yesterday I did two strand twists on dry hair, a twist out later in the day (which I was pretty pleased about) and I put it all up into my first attempt at a fro-hawk this morning. This spawned the following comments:

Upon revealing my hair, my 10 year old brother says "Your mohawk is cool! But I wish I had a fox-hawk, it looks better."

"What is a fox-hawk?" I said, confused. (since they live in VA, we sometimes run into different slang that I'm unaware of)

When he couldn't explain, he pulled my 20 year old brother into the room, who said "its kind of like a fro-hawk, but done on good hair...so it just looks better"

my heart dropped to the floor.

"and what is good hair?" I said calmly

My 20 year old brother, post high school graduate, who is about to enroll in the Army...continued to explain that "good hair" is "straighter" and "no matter how much it grows out, it will NEVER get tangled"

"Yes!" my youngest brother chimed in, "see, if mom hadn't made me cut my hair, then i could have a fox-hawk...because I have good hair." He then turns for approval from my other brother, "don't I have good hair, don't I?"

After a moment of silence, my oldest brother responds "Yes, you do. I wish I had inherited good hair like you and mom, but I didn't." Then my youngest, 10 yr old brother, looks over my hairstyle again and says:

"Yeah, Kea...you DON'T have good hair."

I told them that in my opinion "good hair is healthy hair." They laughed and called me stupid (gotta love that brotherly love). Finally, after prodding and trying to get them to think more about what they were saying, I asked my 20 yr old brother why he is ashamed of his light brown/blonde streaked hair (most would said he has 4a/4b texture). Although he avoided answering my question, he apologized, saying that "he didn't mean to hurt my feelings" and that he "hoped he didn't sound like an idiot." He also asked me if what he said made him sound ignorant. I told him that if he had to ask, then he already knew the answer.

The saddest part for me, is that their mother (my stepmom) has raised them to believe this. Both of my brothers here and my stepmom are lighter than me. Needless to say, my stepmom has been taking sideways glances & making weird faces at my hair all week. And although she claims to have "good hair," She has been hiding her thinning, balding hair under weaves for the past 10 years or so....but I digress, we have never really gotten along (my stepmom and I). I can see a distinct difference in their mindset and the thoughts of my 12 yr old brother who lives in Florida. My mother has always raised us to understand the ugliness and truth behind the light-skin/good hair complex among blacks). My mother and my brother who lives with her, are both darker than myself. While growing up she, was careful NOT to allow me to buy into that whole scheme, while pointing out how people would sometimes treat me and my brother differently, because of this.

While this is not the first, and won't be the last time I will encounter these topics...it was just different, coming from my own family members. My father has been very supportive though the entire time. Since I've arrived he even said that he PREFERRED natural hair Smile

Well, it feels good to share...I hope everyone has a SAFE &&& Happy New Years Eve.

Last edited by Kea::curls on 31st December 2009, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 31st December 2009, 8:06 pm

Oh yeah...here's pics of how my 'hawk turned out, too...Its kind of hard to see in the picture, but i loved it &&& am looking forward to perfecting my technique in the future.

Kea::Curls - Page 4 Photo_31

Kea::Curls - Page 4 Photo_32

Kea::Curls - Page 4 Photo_33

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 1st January 2010, 5:26 am

Sorry about the comments from your brothers. The light comlextion/good hair dilemma has also roared its ugly head in my family (thank goodness not in my immediate family but mainly cousins and extended family). Maybe seeing you rock the natural hair and the flava that it gives you will help them understand what you mean about "good hair" is healthy hair (and some education and a little time wont hurt either! Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_lol ). I hope the fact that your fathers response was positve lifted your spirits.

On to good things...Your first attemp on a fro-hawk looks great! Your curls are definitely something to be proud of.
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 1st January 2010, 9:33 am

your frohawk looks good to me ... keep your head up Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st January 2010, 9:40 am

Kea::Curls - Page 4 617583 Your frohawk looks really good, really good. You did a wonderful job. Your curls are picture perfect (snap for the camera, snap for the camera, snap for the camera three times Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_wink )

I am sorry to hear about your brothers. Like HumanNature wrote, with time, education and your help they will come around. Families can sometimes get to you with the drama. I am glad your mom raised you to understand that it is what is inside a person that counts not their complexion or hair texture.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st January 2010, 10:48 am

YOUR FROHAWK LOOKS GREAT. WHAT PROGRESS Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
LOVE IT!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 1st January 2010, 1:16 pm

Very nice frohawk Kea!!!! You rocked it. Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st January 2010, 2:20 pm

WOOOOO Weeee that Frohawk is sweet!!! I too am sorry about your brothers and their beliefs..but the sad fact remains that we are harder on ourselves than any other race could ever be. I am the other end of the spectrum..I am one of the few dark skinned folks in my family..and oh brother..but whatever!!

You and your curls are beautiful!!! Work it Sista!!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st January 2010, 3:39 pm

Love, love, love your frohawk! Looks awesome.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st January 2010, 3:47 pm

I'm so sorry about your brothers' opinions of your hair and theirs. Just like others said, it's going to take time and education for their mindset to change. That's all it is...a mindset. One that has been encouraged by their mom probably. I'm glad that your dad noticed how great your hair looks.

On a more positive note...I haven't visited your journal in a while and I must say your hair is B-U-T-ful!!!! Your hawk was soooo pretty! And your hair has grown girl!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 1st January 2010, 4:26 pm

Ignorance sucks, but your hair looked awesome!!!!

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st January 2010, 6:24 pm

Your frohawk is really cute!!! What did you use to slick the sides back?

Happy New Year!! Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 1st January 2010, 9:48 pm

Your hair is REALLY cute! Keep posting what u use - I think we may have similar textures (my curls are just really tight) and maybe what you use will help mine loosen some. Love the frohawk - wear it for me too! Don't worry about the fam and their opinions of your hair, just do what you do. My dad prefers my hair natural too. Every time I see him he has to touch it! I think at first he was the only family member that said he liked my hair and since I am a daddy's girl - his opinion was the one I cared about! ( I could have been bald and he probably would have said he liked it!) There is no doubt your hair is growing and it is healthy so that is all that matters.
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 2nd January 2010, 2:10 am

Kea,

What did you use to slick the sides? I love the frohawk!

I bought some banana combs today at Walmart in an attempt to create one on my BKO. What I got was a HOT tangled mess, LOL! Hopefully, I will have better luck next time.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 2nd January 2010, 2:24 am

Hunny that frohawk is lovely. Unfortunately ignorance has been running rampant for quite some time now. We'd like to think that our friends and family are immune to it but they aren't. You're fly sis but you didn't need me to tell you that...you already know.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 2nd January 2010, 5:17 pm

I wish i could see the frohawk!! The pics arent coming up on my computer ! but i sure will check back on it tho!

And dont worry about the lil bros...my oldest one is like that too...but when their big sis keep looking all FLY their opinions will start to change.. Kea::Curls - Page 4 Icon_smile
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 5th January 2010, 10:13 am

Hi Ladies!!!

Today is the first day of the new semester (we didn't start class on Monday) &&& let me tell you...it is cold!!! 27 degrees right now with a windchill of 19 and a high of 40...sure doesn't feel like FL any more Shocked

As a result, I am starting to understand why wash n gos don't work for the winter. I'm attempting my first protectice style this week: flat twists in the front & bantu knots in the back. I was rushing and sleepy when I did this...but these are my best flat twists yet. lol. But its all going under my satin bonnet & then under a hat anyways.

Here are the pics (nothing spectacular, but i'm proud!)

Okay...so my computer won't let me load pics, but i will try again later. Have a wonderful day Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 5th January 2010, 10:15 am

@ lynnie+ pinkgrage = i used water and ecostyler gel to slick back the sides of the fro hawk. i didn't use a brush, only my hands in a smoothing motion. Then I used A WHOLE LOT of bobby pins to hold it back. I tried to use combs at first, but for some reason I couldn't "anchor" them down into my hair. They kept moving & slipping after I put them into place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next