CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kea::Curls

+32
tiashaunteƩ
TerraD
NaturalChica
truet
AfrikanLatina
Pinkrage
BlondeByDesire
traveljunkie08
lovesunshine17
sweetdrk1
Blackbeauty
Preezie
Freestyles
Tamren
Intelligentbeauty
BlakButterfli
lena73
cococurly
Lynnieluve
CocaColaCutie
splitsun
ChrsLvsBks
HumanNature
.:Eden:.
jamaicacurl
adiaha
Curly Film Chick
curly+kinky+fierce
Corygentri
LilMsPuddles
dajewel
Kea::curls
36 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Kea::Curls - Page 2 Empty Re: Kea::Curls

Post by .:Eden:. 10th December 2009, 6:25 pm

GO FRO GO FRO GO GO GO FRO!!!! afro

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th December 2009, 9:23 pm

Kea::curls wrote: Since i'm just using honey & oils, I shouldn't have to do this should I?

No, you don't have to refrigerate it.

Congrats on your recent finds. I love AO's HR conditioner and recently used up all my castor oil.

I hope you do well on all your exams. Study hard and you will be rewarded.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 11th December 2009, 11:02 am

What do you think of bantu knots in public? I've had mine in for 1 day now (smaller sections than last time = more presentable i think). Not sure when I'm going to take them out maybe Saturday? I wanna make sure they're dry ALL the way Smile

Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_14

Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_16

i like them!!! lol. although i do realize, i need to work on making better parts. but i have gotten some strange looks from people...i went to pay my rent yesterday & the black guy who works in the office was like "oh yeah my sister used to do that to make her hair...(makes big gesture with his hands)...is that what you want? (looks at me silently while thinking)...when are you taking them out?"

i noticed that alot of people on here seem to only leave them in over night & don't wear their knots out in public. since i've been wearing my TWA, i've gotten used to people having their own opinions which tend not to bother me. i just wanted to know, is this over the top? i don't want to be walking around looking like a bum, without knowing it!

Last edited by Kea::curls on 11th December 2009, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 11th December 2009, 11:18 am

@ Eden: lol. i wish the 'fro smiley face could dance Smile

@ Chrs: that's good to know, because i haven't been refrigerating. hehe.
....aww, thanks for the kind words!

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 11th December 2009, 12:47 pm

I think your bantu knots look fine for a public appearance. It isn't a style regularly seen for me but I say wear it out. Enjoy your hair and create a standard of public pride. I know I would walk around with my bantu knots lol.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 11th December 2009, 2:29 pm

My mom used to style my hair in bantu knots for kwanazaa celebrations when I was younger lol. I do think they are appropriate for outside. Do you not see the weird mohawks and other hair styles that grunge/rock/punk ppl do sometimes lol? To each its own, if you are comfortable do it!

Speaking of knots, I'm actually going to try and do one this weekend. You and I are both "gel haters" and to answer your question from before, I am still experimenting with different setting lotions and leave ins. I usually do knots with TT and SIF and it seems good. But I am also going to try setting my knots with mixed chicks leave in conditioner, because when I set a braid and curl the other day it really had a lot of hold. I'm gonna try it with the knot out and if it works, it gets a green light for it...
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 11th December 2009, 4:40 pm

I PERSONALLY, wouldn't wear them out in public. My mother used to style me and my sister's hair like this when we were younger, and she made us wear it out. I absolutely hated it. When I do bantu knots I only wear them in the house, and if I have to go out I put on a hat. I've seen pictures where people have made really really neat parts and then it was a style. You could do that if you wanted, but I just wouldn't. Now, if you like it don't let me burst your bubble. Rock it like there's no tomorrow, just letting you know my experience with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 11th December 2009, 8:30 pm

I've never gone out with bantu knots all over my head, but I have worn them where the top of my hair was in the knots with the back out. Particularly when I was relaxed I used to spiral set the back and wear the knots on the top sections.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 12th December 2009, 10:57 am

I say where whateva u like! I know I do...like right now im looking like this Kea::Curls - Page 2 Icon_rr at work! major bad hair day & i shol dont care! lol
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 12th December 2009, 11:09 am

hi ladies,

thanks for all of your input!!! just to let you know...i did end up wearing my knots "out and about" for 1 1/2 day. On the second day I got kinda tired, because they were a little smashed down & fuzzy looking. I didn't want to rewet them again, because that defeats the whole purpose of waiting for them to dry! lol.

anyways, i am trying to give myself a maximum time limit spent on the forums this week. soooo...i won't be posting results until 2maro, but i will say that it was both good & bad.
for now, this is me --> study

@ curlyfilmchick: my mom used to put my hair in cornrows for kwanzaa!!! i used to love it SO much. good luck on the knots this weekend!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th December 2009, 2:59 pm

I can't wait to see the results of your bantu knots out. BTW, I am a semi-gel hater. I used it to do my puff but that's it. I just dont like walking around with a wet head. Gel takes too long to dry in my hair. Plus I can get the same results with conditioner.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 13th December 2009, 5:18 pm

Here it is, the final result!!!

Soooo...

before I decided to experiment with bantu knots, i DID notice that most of the ladies using them were sporting long(er) hair. I couldn't find any TWAs who had tried them out! But that didn't stop me. lol. Because of this, i wasn't sure if they would show the same "spiral curls" effect on shorter hair or not...

And it turns out they didn't.

(at least not so far!)

I took them down, to find another curly fro, slightly BIGGER than the last time:
Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_17

I wasn't too disappointed though, because I somewhat expected it. I noticed that my hair seemed to be a little longer than I thought it was (i guess because of shrinkage), but didn't give it much thought. So, I reached for some bobby pins & my make-shift handband/nylon stocking...to see what i could do. Then something ::AMAZING:: happened...

MY FIRST PUFF!!!!
Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_18
Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_19
Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_20

SO EXCITED Smile I was in shock, especially because I just tried this a few days ago, and my curls just simply weren't having it!

In conclusion: for TWAs, if you are going for a cute & curly "out" style, then bantu knots are probably NOT for you. But if you use them to stretch your hair out they may help make your puff look fuller (or for me, give that extra little push you need to achieve it). Also, it will boost the average puff into more of a "loose curled" updo...if that makes any sense?

That is all ladies, that is all!!! run

P.S. please ignore the christmas jammies, its getting cold in Florida, ya'll !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 13th December 2009, 5:27 pm

@ lynnie...i'm still trying to find a gel that will give me hold w/o dry icky hair, so i guess i'm more of a secret gel-lover, but my curls are just haters Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 13th December 2009, 5:57 pm

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! woot! Go TWA, go!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 13th December 2009, 6:17 pm

GO PUFF GO PUFF GO GO GO PUFF!!!!!! Your puff is soo cute!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th December 2009, 7:05 pm

I was shocked when I did my first puff too! When your hair is stretched, it make a big difference.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 13th December 2009, 7:13 pm

Very nice puff, I think your results turned out nicely! Kea::Curls - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th December 2009, 10:00 pm

Your puff looks hairluscious! It looks soft to the touch.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 14th December 2009, 1:07 am

go puff go puff Kea::Curls - Page 2 678474

your first pic is priceless...it made me smile.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 14th December 2009, 3:40 am

go head puff! i so love ur hair ( i say this aloud everytime i see it! )
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 14th December 2009, 11:04 am

THANK YOU everyone, i still get excited just thinking about it!

@ lena: lol. i had to include it because that was my initial reaction when i saw it!!!

So...for today, i'm going to be running between work & studying & reviewing for exams all day (my last one is on Friday!) Not too much hair fun for me, then Sad

BUT, i will say that this motivated me to try more styling techniques, rather than just relying on my wash n go. For my next undertaking (drum roll please), i will be trying out my first 2 strand twist !!! Since I spend most of the day at home studying anyway, my plan is to twist a small section, then take a study break, and twist the next section, etc.

I plan on using CANTU shea butter as my leave in (cross my fingers)

wish me luck &&& happy monday!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 12:20 pm

Good luck on your two strand twist! Make sure you do small sections.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 14th December 2009, 12:39 pm

Kea::curls wrote:thank you ladies Smile

Well...this weekend i crossed off a lot of "TO DOs" on my hair list. Usually, my lazy/newbie behind pretty much just does Wash N Gos & see how long i can stretch them. My main problem has been bounce FriZZ!!! bounce, so this weekend i did the following to try & address that:

1. I've learned that FRIZZ = needs moisture. So, I'm trying out Organix Coconut Condish. I LOVE it SOOOO MUCH!!! pretty much just ~melts~ into my hair...

2. i did an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse w/cold water= I immediately noticed the difference. Not sure if it was the change in conditioner or the rinse (i probly shouldn't have made so many changes at once). I now plan to do ACV rinses once a month to close the hair cuticle & eliminate frizz...

3. finally, i was still having some CRAZY, frizzy strands sticking out sporadically...so I sat my butt down & did a trim. Since i didn't use hair shears during my BC, this created frizzed & puffy ends that had been spewed apart. To try & fix this, I trimmed in sections & detangled as i went along (with damp hair). it took FOREVER (sigh).

what i found was an amazingly non-frizzy result: (first time ever!!!)

Kea::Curls - Page 2 Photo_11
(this is my hair completey dry....!)

This was all done on Saturday. lol. Then on Sunday i woke up 2 the best "2nd day hair" of my life (well for the last 3 wks anyway)...just to mess it all up with gel Sad I'm starting to think my hair just doesn't like gel...

Kea, your hair is GORGEOUS, honey! I've been doing ACV rinses whenever I have some product build-up or just an itchy scalp from using too much stuff in my hair. My hair LOVES them, so I'm glad you got good resuls from it. I'm too scared to trim my own hair, so I will have it straightened soon and have the stylist trim any raggedy ends.

Sounds like you know what you are doing girlie. Kea::Curls - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 14th December 2009, 2:16 pm

ugh exams! good luck on them! and your hair is looking really nice! Good luck on those twists, I wish I would've done them for the week, would've saved me some time...

(thanks for following my blog Kea::Curls - Page 2 Icon_biggrin )
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 14th December 2009, 2:16 pm

YOUR HAIR LOOKS GREAT!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content