CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review

4 posters

Go down

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review Empty Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review

Post by Renny 1st November 2010, 9:07 pm

I tried CURLS today. I received the Curls Milkshake and Quenched Curls as a sample and ordered the Whipped Cream from Curlmart. Although the Whipped Cream is for thick hair and my hair is more fine to medium, I tried it at the suggestion of a good friend whose been natural forever and actually has hair that's kind of similar to mine; in appearance anyway. Today was the perfect day to go for becuase the dewpoint dropped so I knew my trusty Donna Marie's Miracurl wasn't going to cut it in the cool weather.

In preparation for it, I prepooed with conditioner and then pooed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo last night. (First time using the SAS. Hated it.) I DCed with the Darcy's Botanicals Conditioning Mask from 9:30 pm until about 3:30 am. (Fell asleep.) I got up and washed the conditioner out because I didn't want a soaking wet head in the morning.

Hours later my hair is completely dry and I spray it with water and apply the Curls Milkshake as a leave-in. (Not sure I should have done the leave-in part.) Then I put in the Curls Whipped Cream for a WNG. My hair was barely damp. The instructions say wet hair and a few Youtubers I trust said soaking wet hair, so I'll have to do it again the way I was told. Surprised Let me stop here and insert my comments about smell. Both have a cake mix kind of scent. Heavy on the vanilla. I've heard people rave about the scent of the Whipped Cream, but I thought it kind of had a chemically smell. Just a bit mixed in with the vanilla. It wasn't offensive, but not pure like the way Oyin Burnt Sugar smells. I feel like I could dip a spoon in that stuff and eat it. This I didn't think was smelling good enough to eat, but it did smell good.

Back to to the application. I did a rush job. Slapped it ontop of my head and didn't even apply it from the roots like I do with my other stylers. Very unfair to the product, because I swear I didn't spend five minutes putting it in. Time was an issue. When I was done putting it on, I was a little bit nervous because I used a good bit of product and my hair was white like Casper for the Ghost had gotten in on Halloween and was sitting on my head. I was praying it was going to dry clear and soon, because I had to get out of the house on time. No redooing hair. My prayers were answered, my hair soaked it up within 20 minutes. I immediately thought I liked, because the curls were popping all over the place like they did with the Miracurl, actually maybe better since I had not raked this through or twirled any hair or anything. It just curled right up. My hair had more spirally curls in some places where it had not previously spiraled, like front and center. (I tried to get a good picture, but I couldn't. I'm so sorry I don't have one.) It had great sheen. No shine like the Miracurl, but sheen; kind of like going from a glossy picture to a matte one. Very different look for me. My hair also looks darker, almost ebony black and the gray is showing less. I guess the shine was making the gray show up more or something. Anyway, save for a little frizz (probably from my rushed application), and I'd say 10% more shrinkage than I'm used to, it's the total hotness. The spirals and matte appearance give me a sophisticated, kind of high end model look. Very cool, very welcome and quite frankly needed these days. Very Happy

I plan to refresh with the Quenched Curls (sample) tomorrow and see what I get. I'll let you know.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review Empty Re: Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd November 2010, 12:43 pm

I am waiting for the results. Thanks
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review Empty Re: Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review

Post by letha 2nd November 2010, 1:47 pm

Thanks I got my sample last week and just wondering when I will use mine..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review Empty Day 2 - My Review

Post by Renny 2nd November 2010, 2:36 pm

Day 2 started out rough. I didn' sleep in a bonnet like usually do but I did sleep on my silk pillowcase. My hair was smashed, like I didn't think I would get it to reform. I decided not to add any water to my hair before I refreshed, because Curls doesn't tell you to. Plus I don't normally add water when I use Miracurl. It's also getting close to winter. I don't want a wet head. So, I applied the Quenched Curls all over my dry hair. I was not impressed; at all. I waited an hour, revisited the mirror and could not get why they would say refresh anything with that stuff. It did absolutely nothing for my hair which was surprising since water and glycerin were the first two ingredients. (I listed them below.) I was pretty disappointed. I reapplied some of the whipped cream and the curls got to popping again. A couple hours later I did a couple of quick sprays of my homemade spray bottle concoction (water, aloe vera juice, glycerin and oils) and my hair looks great. I probably didn't need to spray it, but I did anyway.

My overall assessment is that the Whipped Cream is great for curl definition. It smells good and I forgot to mention this yesterday, my hair is very moist and extremely soft. Soft like cotton, but I don't look like I have a cotton head. I do have a little more shrinkage, which I doubt would recede on subsequent days. I'm used to the Miracurl stretching my curls, but it's not bad. My hair looks very, very good. Again I have nice sheen and it's just a nice look for me. Like I said, very different from the Miracurl because it's so matte (that's the only word I can think of to describe it.) I like, but I wonder if with my hair texture the Curls Souffle for medium textures would be a better choice. The PJ in me may have to find out.

I want to add that I think this will be a great product for me to try for twists for a twistout because it makes my hair fuller. When I twist my hair it's so thin that my scalp shows. It has no body. My hair has body like Angela Davis with this stuff on it, so, I'd be interested to see how my hair would look in a twist out.

I also like the fact that my hair is not greasy. It's dry to the touch and feels good. With the Miracurl my hair is a little slick. I know that's because of the oils in my spray bottle and the glycerin and the humidity so I don't mind it at all. It made my hair feel coated and protected, like the moisture was sealed in. With this it's just my dry hair and that's a different feel for me. I like that too.

The only thing I don't like is the frizz, but it's minimal. Seriously not enough to complain about, but enough for me to notice, because gels keep my hair from frizzing.

The Quenched Curls - I would never bother. I mean I have another sample, so I'm going to try it again when I do the next application of Whipped Cream on wet, wet hair, but I doubt I'll see any difference. We'll see.

I posted the ingredients below and I'll let you know how I fair on the 3rd day. Gotta get at least 3 day hair to get repurchased. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to edit with a picture later.

Thanks ladies!

Ingredients
Quenched Curls
Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Bean Tree, Certified Organic White Tea Extract, Certified Organic Chamomille Extract, Certified Organic Pomegranate Seed Extract, Hydroxypropyltrimonium, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Butyrospermum Parkii Shea Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil), Cocos Nucifera Coconut Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Silk Amino Acids, Citric Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Natural Fragrance

[b]Whipped Cream[/b
]Ingredients:Purified Water, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cocoa Butter, Polyimide-1, Glyercin, Certified Organic Coconut Oil, Certified Organic Sweet Almond Oil, * Gardenia Essential Oil, Tahitian Coconut Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Avocado Oil, Plumeria Oil, Olive Oil, Sodium Carbomer, Centillica Asiatica, Panthenol, Octyl Palmitate, Polysorbate-80, Soy Tocopherols, Phenoxyethanol, Ethyl Hexyl Glyercin, Fragrance.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd November 2010, 8:18 pm

I agree re Quenched Curls.

Based on your review, I bought the Whipped Cream and will try it this week. I bought the Curls Milkshake last week. I love it but my hair soaks it up fast, and I apply it after GDLI. I need extra moisture, but anything with shea butter in it, is too heavy. My hair is fine, so if the Whipped Cream does not work, I will try the Souffle.
Thanks for the review.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 3rd November 2010, 6:09 pm

Great review! I love the Curls products for my daughter. I started with the Curly Q's line but found that their Whipped Cream "equivalent" did nothing for her hair so I started using the Whipped Cream instead and I love how it defines and softens her curls when I do puffs. However, I haven't been much of a fan of it when I do twists or braids, so now I'm trying a new product to see if it was just the Curls product or if it's her hair (or something I'm doing wrong.)

I can't tell from the website, is the Quenched Curls a moisturizing spray? Like a leave-in detangler? I used the Moist Curls from the kids line, but I have to put it on damp/wet hair if I want any kind of results, and I do get great results from it.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 3rd November 2010, 6:31 pm

Hi KeKe,

Quenched Curls is supposed to be a 2nd day refresher, so it's a moisturizing spray.

I've used the Whipped Cream in my son's hair for the last two days. He has very curly hair and I always put my products in his hair.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Curls Milkshake and Curls Whipped Cream (Day One) - My Review Empty Day Three

Post by Renny 3rd November 2010, 6:36 pm

Well ladies, day three wasn't going to happen. I noticed last night that my hair had a white residue on it. Small little white beads all over. My plan was to cowash and reapply the Whipped Cream on wet hair, but my little one is sick so I haven't been rocking anything but a bonnet all day. I wondering why it would develop a residue like that. Maybe I used to much. The good news is, my hair is still moist and soft. The bad news is, it seems to be shrinking. It's pretty tightly coiled.

I'll update when I reapply the product and let you know how it goes.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down