CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kea::Curls

+32
tiashaunteƩ
TerraD
NaturalChica
truet
AfrikanLatina
Pinkrage
BlondeByDesire
traveljunkie08
lovesunshine17
sweetdrk1
Blackbeauty
Preezie
Freestyles
Tamren
Intelligentbeauty
BlakButterfli
lena73
cococurly
Lynnieluve
CocaColaCutie
splitsun
ChrsLvsBks
HumanNature
.:Eden:.
jamaicacurl
adiaha
Curly Film Chick
curly+kinky+fierce
Corygentri
LilMsPuddles
dajewel
Kea::curls
36 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Kea::Curls - Page 3 Empty Re: Kea::Curls

Post by HumanNature 14th December 2009, 4:49 pm

That puff is fab chica! And make-shift headbands are priceless! Kea::Curls - Page 3 Icon_razz
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 15th December 2009, 9:53 am

aww.....thanks for all the compliments & muchos gracias!

Well, today...i wanted to talk a little bit about my family & their reactions to my BC. My mother and one of my little brothers live about 3 hours away from where i go to school (but i really only see them on special holidays and such). Then, my father and 2 other brothers live in VA with my stepmom. Nevertheless, none of my family members have seen me since i chopped off all my hair. I also did not tell any of them while I was transitioning (mostly because I hadn't completely made up my mind and wasn't sure myself).

Soooo....the day i cut my hair, i did send my mother pics through email &&& she called me over the phone freaking out (literally screaming in shock). She personally took care of my hair from birth through middle school and even gave me my first relaxer at 5 yrs old. BUT she's used to me making my own decisions (i.e. buying a moped/scooter, getting a puppy, getting my 1st apartment, etc.) So she complimented me on it, reminded me that taking care of natural hair is "different" and "to be careful." Overall, i think a pretty good reception, right?

That being said, i have been absolutely 100%, undeniably, dreading telling my father. HE HATES WHEN I CUT MY HAIR. I remember when i was little and my hair would be styled w/shirley temple curls...he'd get mad @ my mom (thinking she cut my hair). When I started getting hair cuts & cute styles in college, he'd always shake his head in disbelief and give "weird" compliments, like "i'm glad you like it." Not too mention I'm 110% "my Daddy's little girl" & can't stand disappointing him. Especially, since I barely get to see him now...that just adds to the pressure.

Well, I'm going to see him for Christmas in less than 2 weeks...so I figured I should prepare him now. I finally sent him some pictures through email yesterday, explaining my goal to obtaining healthy, 100% natural hair. I didn't get a call from him all day...so I got worried and called him myself. When he talked to me, he seemed calm and said he "never liked that my mom put that stuff in my hair anyways." That's all he said! He's such a man.

But i guess i'm relieved, as it could have been much worse. I'm not sure if he likes it. He didn't say otherwise. So...that is all!

Peace &&& much love to ya!

study

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 15th December 2009, 10:30 am

we know how dad's are!! (very few words) but he seems like he's okay with it if you're happy with it!!! I'm sure he'll like it even if it takes him a while to get used to it.

hope you enjoy your holiday with your family! Cool
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2009, 12:06 pm

Well I would take that response a positive. At least you soften the blow for when he sees you in person. How are you gonna wear your hair? Have you thought about it yet?

I still have not seen my 90 year old grandmother since I BC'd. She does not hold her tongue.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 1:56 am

I agree with Lynnieluve, take it as a positive. When I BC'd my father's reaction was, "It's so nappy!" I retorted, "Yep that's how it grows out of my head naturally!" He hated it! My mother said, "Are you gonna at least comb it?" When I explained that it was a "wash-n-go" she insisted that I sit between her legs as she "greases" my scalp and combs my napps so that I at least look presentable! I politely DECLINED!

Keep us posted on the various reactions!

--Reese Kea::Curls - Page 3 Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 16th December 2009, 7:01 pm

Hey chicas!

--> i realized that yesterday marked the end of the 1st month since my BC!!! cheers cheers cheers

i can't really do a growth check (not sure where i started out), but I've mostly been focusing on learning how to retain moisture. This has always been an obstacle for me, even w/my relaxed hair. i know that once i have this down, then the growth will naturally come.

Anyways, here are some comparisons...

The 1st one is after my very first co-wash. I was just using V05 as my co-wash, HE Hello Hydration to detangle & then V05 + Sunsilk Captivating Curls as my leave-in (i no longer use Sunsilk). I was using Cantu's version of Olive Oil as my sealant.

Then* Kea::Curls - Page 3 Photo_27

Now* Kea::Curls - Page 3 Photo_30

Today i co-washed with Suave Coconut, detangled w/AOHR, used V05 as my leave-in &&& sealed with an EVOO + Castor Oil mix.

After I BC'd, i could see my edges better & also noticed that they were very thin on my right side. Since then, I have been oiling my scalp with Castor Oil 2x a week to help fill in that area. Here's comparison shots for that, too:

Then* Kea::Curls - Page 3 Photo_24

Now* Kea::Curls - Page 3 Photo_29

So...overall, I'm pretty happy! I think my hair looks (and feels) much more moisturized & my edges are even coming in Smile You'd think that I would take a picture of my length stretched out (to compare for next month) but i didn't. lol. Maybe i'll start worrying about that around months 3 or 4...

Last edited by Kea::curls on 16th December 2009, 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 16th December 2009, 7:07 pm

You are making great progress, your curls are beautiful!! Very Happy
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 16th December 2009, 10:10 pm

thanks tamren!!!

@lynnie: i'm not sure how i'm going to wear it for the first time. i'm "the best" @ wash n gos, lol. but i'd really like to try a (successful) twist out~

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2009, 10:41 pm

Amazing progress, your curls look much healthier now. This is a great example of how natural ingredients improve hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 11:13 pm

Wow your hair is truly gorgeous! It looks like it grows quickly as well!

-Reese Kea::Curls - Page 3 Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 17th December 2009, 1:03 pm

@ chrs - i really do see a difference in how my hair reacts to natural products (especially oils!) so much better

@ reese - gracias!!! yes, its always been pretty fast growing, but prone to breakage (or maybe that was just me treating it badly) ...so i'm really trying to be careful this time around!

Sooo beautiful people...

for today i am wearing my 2nd day wash n go, i refreshed w/VO5 + water+ oil spritz this morning. there's not really too much to talk about. i'm just counting down till tomorrow morning when the last of my exams will be over. i hope you all have a great day &&& enjoy the forums! (wish i could...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th December 2009, 1:08 pm

WOW!! Your hair grows fast! I love your curls! Good luck and congratulations on your last exam!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 17th December 2009, 1:28 pm

I'm diggin' the curly 'fro. It is too cute!

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 18th December 2009, 12:10 pm

HI everyone i'm glad to say that...

I'M FINALLY DONE!!!!!! woot! bounce bounce bounce

my exam this morning was a beast, but i'm content knowing that i did the best i could & now I'M FREE to sit in front on my mirror, and act like the hair-obsessed person i have slowly evolved into Smile i can't wait to try something new! I think my BNB order should be in today, so i plan on making a shea mix &&& trying out some 2 strand twists run i'm like a little kid at a candy store, ya'll...i don't know where to start!

HAPPY FRIDAAAAAAY flower

P.S. this means i will be able to visit &&& catch up on all of your pages again, too! It feels *oh so good* to be back Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 18th December 2009, 12:35 pm

Congrats I just did my last one on Wednesday and I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I'm done! woot!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th December 2009, 1:35 pm

Congratulations to you both (Kea and Ms Puddles)

@ Kea - Enjoy playing in your hair. Please share your shea butter mix. Remember when you do your two strand twist, small section is the key. And you know we want to see them when your done.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 18th December 2009, 3:25 pm

CONgrats Hun! Oh I remember those days!!!! Thank God its over!! Only to start again soon!! ITS ALL WORTH IT THO!!! HAIR TIME!!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 18th December 2009, 5:28 pm

Your hair from when you first started out til now look gorgeous!! i also have thin edges but since going natural I can tell that they are finally filling out!! Its good that ur not length obsessed but more or less fascinated by how healthy you can get your hair to be. Good luck 2 u on journey, I will be following Kea::Curls - Page 3 Icon_smile !!
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 19th December 2009, 4:18 am

Congrats, your hair looks soo much more moisturized and curly. Beautiful!!!!

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th December 2009, 10:50 pm

your puff looks fab! and I think wearing the knots out is just fine!!! heck folks are going to stare anyway. STrut and give them something to look at!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 23rd December 2009, 11:31 pm

your curls look healthy and beautiful Smile
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 24th December 2009, 1:19 am

I love your curls. Very cute.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 28th December 2009, 2:29 am

ur hair is growing sooooo fast!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 28th December 2009, 2:55 pm

Hello ALL Smile

I have been without internet access for about one full week now! Isn't that just crazy? Needless to say, i jumped at the chance to come visit the site again!!!!

As far as Christmas updates...i haven't been doing as much experimenting with my hair as I wanted to. I did try a twist out (2x now) on wet hair...but I didn't too much like it. I used Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist gel (to try and keep the twists from unraveling) but it was just SOOO sticky (yuck!) that I washed my twists out before they were even dry. Prior to that, I twisted just by sealing with olive oil...but the twists kept coming undone! I'm thinking about trying again sometime this week...

more importantly, this winter break has turned me into...::dun dun dun:: a PRODUCT JUNKIE !!! I went to TJMaxx for the first time in forever (we don't have one where i live). Low and behold, i found enormous bottles of Giovanni, Nature's Gate, and EO Products! I was in heaven Smile I had heard so much about these natural products, i knew that I just had to give them a try.

****you know you have a PJ problem, when driving through a new town &&& seeing a Walgreens excites you!!! I picked up some more Organix Conditioner (on the BOGO sale, along with two other natural products that I can't remember the name of right now).

***you also know you're a PJ, when you travel with so many conditioners, it causes your luggage to be considered [overweight] for air travel. I had to check two bags, one specifically for all of my hair toys~

Right before leaving for winter break, I also received my shea butter and aloe vera gel from Butters N Bars. Right now, I"m traveling with my shea butter mixed with olive oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, and a little bit of castor oil. I absolutely love it!!! I almost feel like my hair dries faster too, could this be because of the "sealing" powers of the shea butter?

Well that is all for now...I'm off to visit your lovely pages! Enjoy your holiday Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th December 2009, 3:10 pm

I had to do some catching up!! but I LOVE your curls, the knot out results were absolutely AWESOME!! the before and after pics show tremendous growth! Your are doing fantastic with your hair. I am very pleased with your dad's reaction. I tooo think that was positive..so you go!! Thank good exams are over..njoy your winter break and don't spend ALL your money on hair products *gigglin*
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next