CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall is coming..Protective styles are you working on

+72
Cherry: extraordinary!
Emartini04
blackice82
yacoomba
Scarletjazz
molove87
JerseyGyrl
kekesmum
mocha_mom
abradley002
msbahamas
RebekahR
mizcreativelyme
Ebbz
naturallyfreeMD2B
luvmycoils
missbugg21
tmorgan
dyamonds10
Curlykid78
BajanPrincess82
Naturalandhappy
ashollan
EagerCurler
MizzV
Curly Film Chick
Kez
alove15
naturallyu
Ms.Mai
DvaAuNaturel
sweetface1118
Committed2thaCurl
Neems
Alanija
KnottyKinkyMommy
nbella
Free2BMe :)
raina
whimsy
ftiffrenee
earniece
fanmnatirel
laleepop14
kurlegurl
ChrisP
BrownSkinDiva
C.
lananicole
curlybarbi48
CurlyCrayolaBrown
nattyblog
DreamMerchant
kim
aylexgetxit
Cnicoles6
Karyn
sweetdrk1
Justice
brownsugar09
Karameldiva1978
ciara89
jlowman1
LadyMika
jaybella
kbelle
Beautifulyfe
Lynnieluve
Myeka33
tiashaunteƩ
ShortNSassie
76 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fall is coming..Protective styles are you working on - Page 4 Empty Re: Fall is coming..Protective styles are you working on

Post by naturallyfreeMD2B 16th October 2010, 2:47 pm

I have a quick question...I just learned that for protective styles your ends should be put away. If so, how can twists (on your natural hair) that you don't wear in a bun or rod sets be considered protective styles?

naturallyfreeMD2B

Back to top Go down

Fall is coming..Protective styles are you working on - Page 4 Empty Re: Fall is coming..Protective styles are you working on

Post by Ebbz 16th October 2010, 9:52 pm

Yarn braids, kinky twists, two strand twists and half wigs. oh, and hats! lol
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 27th October 2010, 3:24 pm

Beautifulyfe wrote:My fav protective syle has to be twist and I always pull them back so I can tuck my ends way.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

This looks really nice. Did you have to add any hair? My hair shrinks so much that when I twist they turn into mini turdletts Neutral (below collar bone length when stretched). I don't know what method to use to safely stretch. Thought about blow drying on the cool setting. Just don't want to cause unnecessary shedding/breakage trying to get it into a protective style. Any suggestions?
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 29th October 2010, 12:45 am

Thanks @hapilycurlie!!!

My twist shrink all the way to my ear at times but when I pull them back and pin them you would never know and everyday they stretch more and more. I would say just twist and pull them in a bun that should help strecth if you want to wear them out.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by RebekahR 29th October 2010, 4:39 am

I've been wearing a lot of buns and twists. Twists ace as can twist, then pin then up a few days, then untwist and do an updo until its washday again!

I usually stretch first, 4 big braids to airdry is plenty to stretch them Smile
RebekahR
RebekahR

Back to top Go down

Post by msbahamas 30th October 2010, 7:00 pm

braides for me
msbahamas
msbahamas

Back to top Go down

Post by abradley002 1st November 2010, 10:50 pm

I plan to do variations of two-strand twists, box braids, flat twisting and cornrows! Anything to protect my hair!

abradley002

Back to top Go down

Post by mocha_mom 1st November 2010, 11:15 pm

DRY twistouts..YAY dance
I'm overly excited about them!
mocha_mom
mocha_mom

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 3rd November 2010, 10:23 pm

So many great ideas! I've been thinking about this for a while, what to do for my daughter's hair now that she's at school and we walk to school, plus she's outside for recess. These Canadian winters are not friendly!

I'll be doing mostly two strand twists, so I'm going to have to find ways to get creative so it's not the same old stuff. Plus I'll be working on my cornrow skills, I definitely need some practice there, may as well get started now.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by JerseyGyrl 4th November 2010, 10:21 pm

flat twists in an updo
JerseyGyrl
JerseyGyrl

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 5th November 2010, 12:15 am

I'm so glad you posted this!! I have so many ideas to get me through the winter. I'm wearing a sew in now, but I didn't know WHAT I was going to do after. woot!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarletjazz 9th November 2010, 4:54 pm

I should have already started my protective styles just being a lil lazy. I ususally where kinky twists from Oct - Mar. I haven't put them in yet, but am soon. I wanted to use some other type of hair other than the marley braid which I always use. I've heard about Janet hair and a few others but I dunno yet.
Scarletjazz
Scarletjazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarletjazz 9th November 2010, 4:55 pm

How are some of you all wearing half wigs? I don't think I can with the front of my hair, it is nappy you know...lol
Scarletjazz
Scarletjazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarletjazz 9th November 2010, 4:59 pm

curlybarbi48 wrote:I'm planning to wear twists. I wore them for a whole week last week, and I retwisted this past weekend. I was really nervous about wearing my twists to work, but I was able to dress them up a little bit. I loved wearing my hair in twists all week because there was no manipulation. I ended up taking the twists down Friday and wore a twist out. I think this is going to be my signature style for the winter.

Your hair looks cute.
Scarletjazz
Scarletjazz

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 10th November 2010, 11:45 pm

I ran across a video that Kimmaytube did that was a 40's inspired doo. I have been wearing it all week. Pull your twist back and secure with an ouchless barrett. Then tuck ends under and secure with bobby pins. I love it. I am too lazy to take a pic. I use a different color headband to keep it not so boring. I love this protective style.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 11th November 2010, 9:37 pm

I'll be doing kinky twists for my protective style for the Fall/Winter. I'm thinking about putting them in around the end of December sometime when I have a couple days off from work.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice82 13th November 2010, 10:43 pm

This Fall/Winter I will be wearing kinky twist and two strand twist
blackice82
blackice82

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 15th November 2010, 4:55 pm

Let's see. Since it's gotten colder I've tried Bantu knots, two-strand twists set on perm rods, twist-outs and flat twists. No wash and go for me. That's how I end up with lots of knots and tangles.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 16th November 2010, 1:34 pm

Two strand twists. Works all the time!
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 16th November 2010, 1:51 pm

naturallyfreeMD2B wrote:I have a quick question...I just learned that for protective styles your ends should be put away. If so, how can twists (on your natural hair) that you don't wear in a bun or rod sets be considered protective styles?
Good question lol hmm scratch well I suppose that technically they would be more protected in twists than if let out

Back to top Go down

Post by ftiffrenee 16th November 2010, 5:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]I will be bunning...my new BFF
ftiffrenee
ftiffrenee

http://www.fotki.com/ftiffrenee

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 19th November 2010, 2:55 am

I am so happy to have found a new protective style for the winter! woot! I did my own yarn braids for the first time! I am so excited because they are not too tight and eventhough it was time consuming, it is the cheapest hairstyle I've ever had. I plan on leaving them in until late Jan.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 20th November 2010, 12:47 am

preciouslady wrote:I am so happy to have found a new protective style for the winter! woot! I did my own yarn braids for the first time! I am so excited because they are not too tight and eventhough it was time consuming, it is the cheapest hairstyle I've ever had. I plan on leaving them in until late Jan.

Please post a pic Smile I'd like to try them as well, but my arms get tired after doing several twists Neutral
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 23rd November 2010, 1:30 pm

Ladies, i am gonna struggle with Protective styling as my curls arent tight so my twists/braids have to be banded and twists also at the end....so cant wear them nice at all as a style, also, being white, it just doezsn;t look as good as it does on black women in my opinion, i look like a 'wannabe' lol :-)- I am also changing jobs so I want my protective style to look as neat and presentable as possible as its very corporate, though curls are VERY welcome where i work, the MD's Fiance and little girls are Curlies and Natural (white also but VERY Curly :-) Yayyyy )
Any suggestions, think im limited with Bunning and French Plaits? xxx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd November 2010, 2:28 pm

Don't feel bad Kez. I could wear twists/braids, but I don't like the way they look. The most protective styling I do is a bun.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next