CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!!

+4
molove87
Naturally Esq
naturally Nubian
naturallyfreeMD2B
8 posters

Go down

I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!! Empty I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!!

Post by naturallyfreeMD2B 16th October 2010, 1:41 pm

OK I'm really getting frustrated! Mad I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING and I still can't get my twist out/braid out to last without twisting them every night. Whenever I do a twist out/braid out I can only wear the style the day I take them out. If I try to sleep on them without re twisting/re braiding then it will look a hot mess in the morning. So EVERY night I have to re twist and put the perm rods back on my end to get a defined curl. I know everyone keeps talking about protective styling and low manipulation and I'm trying the protective styles but to make them last I'm manipulating my hair too much. I really want to retain length and leave my hair alone but I can't because it looks like a poof-ball Sad . Please help!!!

naturallyfreeMD2B

Back to top Go down

I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!! Empty Re: I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!!

Post by naturally Nubian 16th October 2010, 1:58 pm

Heya,
I'm sorry to disappoint you but twist outs is not a protective style. This style should last 2-5 days depending on your hair type and the product you use for hold. A proctective style should allow your hair to rest for a minimum of a few weeks and the ends of the hair should be tucked away if possible. By having to retwist EVERYDAY is damaging to your hair. Try mini twists or box braids. These last a few weeks to a couple of months depending on texture and washing regimen. If you use extensions then it should help the twist or braid stay neater for longer even if you wash it regularly. I hope this helps.

NN
naturally Nubian
naturally Nubian

https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturallyNubian?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!! Empty Re: I'm really getting tired of this...PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME!!!

Post by naturallyfreeMD2B 16th October 2010, 2:06 pm

Really? I see a lot of people on the forums mention them as protective styles. So would real protective style essentially be braids, weaves, ponytails, etc.? I was actually thinking of getting a sew-in next week because I'm getting tired of doing my hair daily. Thanks for the response! Smile

naturallyfreeMD2B

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 16th October 2010, 2:22 pm

Once you twist out or braid out the twist or braid, it is no longer a protective style.

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/protective-styles-t5867.htm?highlight=protective+style
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyfreeMD2B 16th October 2010, 2:31 pm

Thanks for the link it had some good information! I think I understand the difference now Wink

naturallyfreeMD2B

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 16th October 2010, 8:21 pm

@Naturally Esq, how do you go about finding the info that you do? I'm still learning and so far your info has been very helpful..
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 16th October 2010, 8:26 pm

@natuarallyfreeMD2b I meant to add, I just recently got me a sew-in because I, didn't know how to sleep on my twist out either, and it was frustrating. I did twist my edges and pinned the back one night and it got me two days<--- that was the only time though! Not realizing until I read this post that it's not a protectie style anyhow.. as I stated already I'm still learning, that's why I love CN because the site and it's members are very helpful and informative. Razz
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 16th October 2010, 8:41 pm

@ naturallyfree -

Hey it happens. I wear twist outs a lot but what I usually do is twist my hair leave it in for a day or two then wear them out. Yes I retwist at nght but nothing fancy usually bigger twists and still have the definition until my hair gets really dry which takes place after two or three days. Also twisting them right after your co wash and oil routine gives better definition in my opinion.

A stylist told me before with twist out you have to train your hair and I agree with her. At first it would only last me a day or maybe a half a day and then I'll retwist at night take them out in the morning and they look so blah.

If you want soft shiny hold try Curls souffle or curls whipped cream depending on your hair texture. Whipped cream is a bit heavier but holds pretty nice. You may not have to retwist for a day or two with these products.

I tried twisting with eco styling gel last night which looks pretty good but my hair doesn't feel soft like it usually does. Maybe I did not put a lot of oil on my hair beforehand. Not sure just experimenting. Try gel also maybe it'll work for u.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyfreeMD2B 16th October 2010, 9:40 pm

@molove87 - I totally agree with you! I have learned so much from this site and I find myself logging on everyday just to see whats new. I don't know what I would have done without CN!! I've decided I'm definitely going to get a sew in to give my hair a break. I did try to "pineapple" my hair last night and it kinda worked. My hair doesn't look as bad as it usually does when I don't re twist but I will definitely have to re twist tonight to wear it to church tomorrow. lol
@Emartini04 - Thanks for the tips girl! I'll try gel next time to see what happens.

naturallyfreeMD2B

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 16th October 2010, 9:51 pm

molove87 wrote:@Naturally Esq, how do you go about finding the info that you do? I'm still learning and so far your info has been very helpful..

Thanks. I use the web and some other resources that I have. I enjoy researching and problem solving.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 17th October 2010, 12:31 am

There are hundreds of updos that are attractive. Some of them are done with twisted or braided hair and some aren't. Just peruse the internet. There are so many youtube videos also. Buns are great protective styles and can be very professional looking for the work place. I am 8 months post relaxer and I don't typically do longterm protective styles. I usually braid my hair in 16 plaits when I wash and leave them in 1 1/2 days and wear a braid out. Braidout usually last 2 - 3 days and then I do an updo and wash my hair on day 6. I sleep on a satin pillowcase and have my hair in a pineapple. For me, the key is setting the wet hair, length of time the braid (plaits) are in, and how I sleep with the braidout. So far, I have noticed using the Kimmaytube leave-in with a natural gel gives me more braidout days than the leave-in alone. So, the products are important in how long you can maintain the braidout or twist out. I don't worry much about protective styles because I keep my hair moisturized, don't comb my hair except detangling on wash day and have very, very minimal hair loss/shedding when I wash. If I do rebraid at night, it is an opportunity to give my hair more moisture with the spritz I made. I lose absolutely no hair during the week and I don't have any tangles, not even when I twist instead of braid.

For your own sanity remember to 1) have an abundance of patience because it takes a while to figure out a regimen 2) don't be frustrated when the hair isn't perfect--make lemons out of the lemonade and keep moving! I have found these long term transitioners and naturals to be so kind and helpful!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 17th October 2010, 10:00 pm

Would you consider single twist as a protective style as well? Also, is there a link or site that I can go to and compare single and two strand twists?

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 17th October 2010, 10:27 pm

If you are talking about "coils," I personally would consider it a protective style. I would be interested in hearing the opinion of some of the other ladies. Protective styles allow for: 1) minimum handling or manipulation 2) tend to be styles where your hair is not rubbing on your clothes 3) strands are grouped or segregated so they are not all over the place (in other words, there is order to the hair) 4) ends are not loose and exposed or unraveled. I have not looked at a comparison, but you can do a google search or go to youtube and put in coils or two strand twist in the internal search engine. Essentially, two strand twist are like braiding in that you have 2 sections of hair. Instead of plaiting or braiding you are twisting one section around the other. With the coils, you are using your finger (with the aid of a styler) to twirl the hair, creating a spiral (similar to if someone did a roller spiral set). Hard to explain, but I did my best. Good luck and let those fingers start searching for some good vids!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 19th October 2010, 9:39 am

Hey,
Hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread - I have a transitioning hair, but whilst its super thick (i have millions of hair -seriously), its quit soft, each strand is thick (compared to all my friends anyways lol), but it is qute soft, i have i would say now i am seeing more growth, 3a hair, so its not kinky/coily, which from my observations only as I have no experience, seems to be the best hair type for holding these styles..i have to band for example at the end of my braids - for twists i have to use Duckbill clip at root and band at bottom, any suggestions for a proective style other than bun!
Thanksx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down