CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Dajewel

+49
CurlyChefRobin
swoodward
TMS
Heart2Worship
exhale1913
agore07
CurlyCoCo
TriniCherryPrincess
EllaMomi2002
mochamoments
DMCC
SheeTacular
CurlyChick
Offandrunning
Happy2B
Miss CurlyT
crimsonbutterfly
Miz B
NhappyJackie
Ellagirl
fanmnatirel
Dorian
Freestyles
HAMPTONSFNST
Pinkrage
LearninToLove
Flyychik23
jamaicacurl
DawnieMich
Curly Film Chick
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
tiashaunteé
Melinda
CurlyMo
naturallyunique
ChrsLvsBks
naturallydestined
newme10
AfrikanLatina
Lynnieluve
NikG20
tmorgan
NappyJer19
Kea::curls
Intelligentbeauty
dajewel
sweetdrk1
*CurlyNikki*
53 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 4 Empty Re: Ask Dajewel

Post by Intelligentbeauty 18th December 2009, 12:57 am

Dajewel, I loved the science piece on the oils on CN today. I was just talking to Tia about her oil rinses. I was going to try that this Friday (spa friday...lol). But I think I will do it as a DC instead and mix EVCO with EVOO.
The last time I used EVOO with heat, I got nothing when I styled that night (like you). I really didn't pay attention to how my hair felt after that. This time I will pay attention.
Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 4 Empty Essential Oils that are also preservatives

Post by tiashaunteé 18th December 2009, 12:29 pm

dajewel,

I am a mixtress and I use a lot of foods that could potentially spoil if not stored in the refrigerator or used quickly. I'm wondering....are there any essentials oils that double as preservatives? The one mix in particular I would like to preserve is the Aloe Gro mix. The Aloe Vera gel container says to keep refrigerated after opening so of course I am keeping the mix in the refrigerator also. However, spraying cold aloe vera one my head in the winter time is no fun. Any suggestions?

YouTube video for Aloe gro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdINFrPqm0&feature=player_embedded

The mix contains:
Organic Aloe vera gel
Rosemary EO
Peppermint EO
Distilled Water
I also put Tea Tree EO in my mix.

tiashauntee
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 18th December 2009, 2:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm in pharmacy school as well. Glad to see fellow chemistry enthusiasts. BC tomorrow at 2pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th December 2009, 8:33 pm

That was a great post on the blog. My hair loves both coconut and olive oil. I am gonna start pre pooing with both and see if it helps my ends.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 22nd December 2009, 2:16 pm

Dajewl - I wanted to know about the Canut Shea Butter Line. I've been hearing good things about their Cantu Shea Butter Clear Conditioning Shine Gel Extra Hold and Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Repair Cream. The only one I've tried was the shine gel but I wasn't sure about the leave-in. The gel works wonders on my girls hair (wet/dry)! I just Love it now! It's not like other gels at all, it dries really soft but has hold and it leaves their hair silky and after daily use there isn't any build-up. But I wanted to know what exactly are in these products. I'm trying to use mostly natural products on our heads as much as possible but I'm just starting out and the label ingredients are foreign to me, LOL. Any help will do! Thanks - Nina
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 11:46 am

newme10 wrote:
dajewel wrote:
newme10 wrote:Hi Dajewel, this is Newme10. My hair is fine and naturally curly, however, I have had gradual thinning at the crown for years. I am now 41, soon to be 42, and really want this hair to grow back because it is very noticablly thin now after all these years. I just ordered a hair growth elixir from Afroveda and use volumnizing shampoos but find them to be somewhat drying and leave my hair looking and feeling dull (the volumnizer I used last night on my hair is from aubrey organics). any advice on what shampoos and conditioners I should use?

Hey, there!

I would like to get more info to add to this discussion: are you putting any stress to your hair via styling and heating? Also, what is your daily food diet? Are you currently taking any medications for blood pressure, arthritis, birth control, etc? Some medications do have an affect on hair thinning. How long have you been natural? I would also suggest incorporate minimal exercise on a weekly basis, as the blood circulation at the scalp will stimulate healthy hair growth.

As far as topical applications, how often are you shampooing, co-washing and/or deep conditioning? What is your usual hair regimen? i noticed you shampooed with a volumnizing shampoo from Aurbrey Organics. By any chance is it Chamomile Luxurious Volumnizing Shampooo? I noticed that pretty high up in the ingredient list is soy protein. This could probably mean you are protein sensitive or you needed to deep condition with a more moisturizing conditioner. These two reasons could explain why your hair felt dry and looked dull. Therefore, I would focus on gentle shampoos and conditioners that encourage hair growth/ thickening and that are moisturizing that have protein as one of the last ingredients or not included in the ingredient's list. Also, because we are entering colder months, I wouldn't shampoo as much. A shampoo/conditioner that you can try is recommended by member cutephantasm in this thread: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/good-shampoo-s-t174.htm. It is called Deity of Hair and can be purchased at CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, etc.

I am a fan of Afroveda's product line, as they incorporate Ayurveda. The Shikakai Hair Growth Elixir is chock full of the good stuff that should encourage new growth of thicker hair. Many essential oils are good for hair growth, and this product has some of them. Peppermint oil increases blood circulation (because its a vasodialator) which means more nutrients being carried to the scalp which means more healthy hair growth. spearmint oil also acts like peppermint oil, but in a more milder fashion. there have been studies that showed drinking spearmint tea on consecutive days can encourage healthy hair growth. lavendar oil has been noted as a therapy for alopecia. rosemary stimulates hair follicles which would then mean growth of hair. thyme is thought to slow hair loss. you can also try lemon, myrrh and basil oils. Try any combo of the aforementioned essential oils in aloe vera leaf juice, and spritz on the scalp. I have seen youtube videos discussing this aloe grow juice.

i would also suggest using products with Amla. Amla, also part of Ayurvedic specialty, is thought to strengthen the hair follicle and thicken hair growth. Also, amla helps in moisturizing and combating shedding. Some products to consider: Afroveda's Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream, straight amla in oils other than mineral oil, qhemet biologics Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade and Burdock Root Butter Creme.

Also, i would suggest massage extra virgin coconut oil and/or castor oil on the spot.

i hope this helps! Please keep us updated!

As far as my regime, I wash about once a week and somsoetimes short of a week but I defintely take your advice and cut down for the winter months. My diet is so-so; I do each refined sugars and fast food atleast twice a week. I try to get to the gym atleast 2-3 times a week.

I've been natural for years but just startsx wearing my hair curly about 3 weeks ago. Before I did start going curly, I would flat iron my hair practically everyday and blow dry EVERYTIME I washed it. At the salon they did the same thing. And yes,the shampoo I used was the Aubrey Camiole Luxurios...I will switch. I so have a pretty stressful lifestyle:I am a supervisor at my job-I supervise 8 people with varying personalities and non-stop, impossible deadlines and right now I have several family members living with me. I would say a live a stress-filled life. I am not on any medications and have no high blood pressure, as of my physical this past May.

finally, I havent received the elixir from Aryuveda and I did order the Alma shea. I will keep you posted. Thanks again; you're a gem!!

wow, that was alot of heat placed on your hair!! I pretty much did the same thing when I was two years or so into my natural journey. The heat damage was not cute! Since then, I haven't used heat as a styling tool in over two years, and i am pretty sure such heat will not see my hair for another couple of years.

i really believe that the stress and diet could be contributing to your hair loss. One way to help me reach my nutrition goals is to make my meals in bulk so that I have enough for the week. Always remember that whatever is going on in life, it is YOU that can take control and show life's craziness who is boss. I can't tell you how to do deal with stressful people, but I can tell you how I deal with them: i phase them out of my life. In fact, I had to do so w/ one person during the course of this past year, and it has made a world of a difference! No more drama!!!

I know your schedule is hectic, but based on my experiences, i have found even 10 mins of yoga keeps to quiet the stress, tone the body and help the blood rush to the scalp (which will help hair growth). I really think that you deserve to have a little "ME" time everyday despite your hectic schedule. I know that it is easier said then done, but if you don't take care of yourself, then no one will. HTH
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:06 pm

newme10 wrote:Also, you may be right about the protein because one of my hair stylists recommended a protein treatment to me and I took it home and sat under the dryer. My hair is extremely soft and after I came out from under the dryer, I had strands of hair on the cap and was afraid all of my hair would fall out! So, maybe protein isnt so good for my super fine hair...

fine hair needs protein more than coarse hair, but even healthy fine hair doesn't need protein application on a frequent basis. i would suggest not using conditioners with protein high in the ingredient list on a regular basis; i have fine and coarse hairs and i can count on one hand how often i use conditioners with protein this past year. Instead, use conditioners that have protein low on the list or completely absent from the list, and follow-up with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Remember that protein in healthy hair doesn't degrade as much/quick as when hair is chemically treated or continuously heat-styled. This is because the alpha keratin structure (hair protein) are relatively stable. It is the addition and retention of moisture that needs to be paid close attention. HTH
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:13 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Dajewel, I loved the science piece on the oils on CN today. I was just talking to Tia about her oil rinses. I was going to try that this Friday (spa friday...lol). But I think I will do it as a DC instead and mix EVCO with EVOO.
The last time I used EVOO with heat, I got nothing when I styled that night (like you). I really didn't pay attention to how my hair felt after that. This time I will pay attention.
Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thank you!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:18 pm

tiashauntee wrote:dajewel,

I am a mixtress and I use a lot of foods that could potentially spoil if not stored in the refrigerator or used quickly. I'm wondering....are there any essentials oils that double as preservatives? The one mix in particular I would like to preserve is the Aloe Gro mix. The Aloe Vera gel container says to keep refrigerated after opening so of course I am keeping the mix in the refrigerator also. However, spraying cold aloe vera one my head in the winter time is no fun. Any suggestions?

YouTube video for Aloe gro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdINFrPqm0&feature=player_embedded

The mix contains:
Organic Aloe vera gel
Rosemary EO
Peppermint EO
Distilled Water
I also put Tea Tree EO in my mix.

tiashauntee

hey there!! its the tea tree oil in this mixture that can be an excellent preservative. The rosemary EO has subtle to mild preservative properties. the peppermint oil has insecticidal properties. HTH
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:19 pm

MissLeggz wrote:Hi all,

I'm in pharmacy school as well. Glad to see fellow chemistry enthusiasts. BC tomorrow at 2pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw your BC pics! fab!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:19 pm

NewlyNina wrote:Dajewl - I wanted to know about the Canut Shea Butter Line. I've been hearing good things about their Cantu Shea Butter Clear Conditioning Shine Gel Extra Hold and Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Repair Cream. The only one I've tried was the shine gel but I wasn't sure about the leave-in. The gel works wonders on my girls hair (wet/dry)! I just Love it now! It's not like other gels at all, it dries really soft but has hold and it leaves their hair silky and after daily use there isn't any build-up. But I wanted to know what exactly are in these products. I'm trying to use mostly natural products on our heads as much as possible but I'm just starting out and the label ingredients are foreign to me, LOL. Any help will do! Thanks - Nina

am on it!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 12:20 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:That was a great post on the blog. My hair loves both coconut and olive oil. I am gonna start pre pooing with both and see if it helps my ends.

thank you!!!! i have tons of products that I can't wait to review and discuss their mechanism of action (or lack their of).
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 28th December 2009, 6:04 pm

wow I was just reading through this entire thread and you are so amazing. I'm not a science major or anything, but science was one of my best subjects because its always interesting to me. thanks for providing such wonderful information on hair!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th December 2009, 8:33 pm

thank you curlyfilmchick!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by DawnieMich 29th December 2009, 2:05 pm

Hi Dajewel,

I recently purchased Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Spray Gel and was curious as to if it was safe to use on my hair. Here are the ingredients;

Ingredients: water, pvp, chitosan, lactic acid, peg-40
hydrogenated castor oil, polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol,
fragrance/parfum, methylparaben, peg-60 almond glycerides, polysorbate
80, disodium edta, ethylhexylglycerin, tocopherol.

I used a little bit of this product last night and the hold is awesome. I'm a 4b and I did a twist out using a leave in and a couple sprays of the TMS gel. I sealed with a coco-shea-mint moisturizer that a friend made for me. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks mucho,
Dawn
DawnieMich
DawnieMich

http://www.autumnrayjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 29th December 2009, 2:50 pm

Hey honey!

I am so impressed with you!!!

ok I need help. I just purchased the big bottle of smooth as silk condidtioner from the Giovanni line. When I just used as a conditioner it was fine..but when I added the AfroVeda pur whipped Jelly as a styler my twist got hard. Crys says it is probably the protien...any thoughts?
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 29th December 2009, 7:05 pm

hey, I finally have a question!

Not sure if you answered this already, but what ingredients provide "hold" for the hair? Gel, hairsprays, and setting lotions provide it for the hair but what's in it?
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 29th December 2009, 9:47 pm

DawnieMich wrote:Hi Dajewel,

I recently purchased Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Spray Gel and was curious as to if it was safe to use on my hair. Here are the ingredients;

Ingredients: water, pvp, chitosan, lactic acid, peg-40
hydrogenated castor oil, polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol,
fragrance/parfum, methylparaben, peg-60 almond glycerides, polysorbate
80, disodium edta, ethylhexylglycerin, tocopherol.

I used a little bit of this product last night and the hold is awesome. I'm a 4b and I did a twist out using a leave in and a couple sprays of the TMS gel. I sealed with a coco-shea-mint moisturizer that a friend made for me. Let me know your thoughts.

am on it!!
Thanks mucho,
Dawn
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 29th December 2009, 9:47 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hey honey!

I am so impressed with you!!!

ok I need help. I just purchased the big bottle of smooth as silk condidtioner from the Giovanni line. When I just used as a conditioner it was fine..but when I added the AfroVeda pur whipped Jelly as a styler my twist got hard. Crys says it is probably the protien...any thoughts?

thank you! am on it!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 29th December 2009, 9:48 pm

Curly Film Chick wrote:hey, I finally have a question!

Not sure if you answered this already, but what ingredients provide "hold" for the hair? Gel, hairsprays, and setting lotions provide it for the hair but what's in it?

am on it!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th December 2009, 8:59 pm

So here is another question that for some reason bothers me. I know why mineral oil and petrolatum is not good for the hair. But alot of our (black) products have that in it. And I know why, but when I was a perm head I used those products and my hair was healthy and grew to bra strap length. Both my sisters have long hair. One has a little past bra strap and the other has a little below shoulder length hair. So they see my textured short hair and they hear me talk about perms and these ingredients but they dont get it. My hair was growing and theirs are growing now. What gives?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 30th December 2009, 11:40 pm

First of all dajewel, you are doing a great job on here and I'm highly impressed! You're such a wealth of knowledge!

Ok so now I have question for you: Among other products that I've read about staying away from to promote healthy hair, it seems that parabens are kind of iffy. But I know some of my products contain them. What exactly are parabens and how are they good and bad for the hair?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st December 2009, 12:27 am

hey, guys!!! keep the questions coming!! love it!!

I am currently analyzing a new product based on ingredients and performance (am on the first trial run). I didn't begin the trial sooner because, well, i was really digging last week's hair and was gonna miss it once i wash it because i wear it in twists for about a month.

Also, am currently fine tuning explanations on ALL questions that have been received thus far! Is just kinda difficult to fully respond when the fam is visiting. love the holidays!!!

until then, have a safe and happy new year's eve/day!!!! Bless!!!

Last edited by dajewel on 31st December 2009, 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st December 2009, 12:29 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:So here is another question that for some reason bothers me. I know why mineral oil and petrolatum is not good for the hair. But alot of our (black) products have that in it. And I know why, but when I was a perm head I used those products and my hair was healthy and grew to bra strap length. Both my sisters have long hair. One has a little past bra strap and the other has a little below shoulder length hair. So they see my textured short hair and they hear me talk about perms and these ingredients but they dont get it. My hair was growing and theirs are growing now. What gives?

when your hair was bsl, was it permed or relaxed? do your sisters have long relaxed hair or long natural hair? how long have you and your sisters have had relaxed hair? Also, can you clarify " My hair was growing and theirs are growing now"? Thanks!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st December 2009, 12:31 am

jamaicacurl wrote:First of all dajewel, you are doing a great job on here and I'm highly impressed! You're such a wealth of knowledge!

Ok so now I have question for you: Among other products that I've read about staying away from to promote healthy hair, it seems that parabens are kind of iffy. But I know some of my products contain them. What exactly are parabens and how are they good and bad for the hair?

hey there! this answer is actually tied into one of my responses that I will be posting. Stay tuned!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next