CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Dajewel

+49
CurlyChefRobin
swoodward
TMS
Heart2Worship
exhale1913
agore07
CurlyCoCo
TriniCherryPrincess
EllaMomi2002
mochamoments
DMCC
SheeTacular
CurlyChick
Offandrunning
Happy2B
Miss CurlyT
crimsonbutterfly
Miz B
NhappyJackie
Ellagirl
fanmnatirel
Dorian
Freestyles
HAMPTONSFNST
Pinkrage
LearninToLove
Flyychik23
jamaicacurl
DawnieMich
Curly Film Chick
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
tiashaunteƩ
Melinda
CurlyMo
naturallyunique
ChrsLvsBks
naturallydestined
newme10
AfrikanLatina
Lynnieluve
NikG20
tmorgan
NappyJer19
Kea::curls
Intelligentbeauty
dajewel
sweetdrk1
*CurlyNikki*
53 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 7 Empty Kinky Curly Curling Custard vs. Eco Styler Gel

Post by mochamoments 25th March 2010, 12:13 am

I am loving this thread! I'm a ChemE so I love all things related to Chemistry, Math and Engineering.

My question is about the ingredients in KCCC and Eco Styler Gel. I have heard a lot of people say that they get the same results, but I know that the ingredients are not even close to being the same. I thought about buying some ph strips to test them and see what happens, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. If you have any information on them please share.

Thanks!
mochamoments
mochamoments

http://www.mochamomentsmom.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 7 Empty Re: Ask Dajewel

Post by EllaMomi2002 28th March 2010, 10:00 pm

Dajewel, You're the best! I just read the 7 pages and learned sooooo much. I'll have to go through them again and take notes.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th April 2010, 2:10 am

Hey there. This isn't a product. But. Could you please shed some light on how MSM, sulfur, and biotin help hair growth?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 11th April 2010, 2:03 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChick 15th April 2010, 3:20 pm

Hi Dajewel!
oops, I think my question got skipped so I'm just posting it again. Thank you in advance! Very Happy

I'm a newbie to all of the different products and I have no idea what my hair likes but i was trying a coconut oil by Dabur called Vatika which has all natural ingredients except the last ingredient is TBHQ t-butyl Hydroquinone. Is this one of the dreaded "cones"? Thank you for answering my question.
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 22nd April 2010, 11:57 pm

Thank you everyone for the questions and for Dajewel for the answers- such a great help!
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

http://www.AllThingsLena.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoCo 23rd April 2010, 1:01 am

I am very new to this site and have no idea what I am doing. I just stopped straightening my hair. I am wearing it curly and loving it, but I am using all frizz-ease products (they done weigh my hair down). I know this is bad for my hair. I am using Giovanni 50/50 shampoo and conditioner and I love it. Thing is I am washing my hair 3 times per week. Is this gonna hinder my hair growth--if so can someone please explain why?
Also, I am a single mother/ college student, I am on very limited funds, but I am going to whole foods tomorrow in search of a good moisturizing oil for my hair. Any inexpensive suggestions?
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 24th April 2010, 2:33 am

Hi Dajewl,

I have a question about my hair growth vits, okay I am taking , I got these from swansonvitamins.com I added the MSM, Silica and Super B Complex and I been on it for about a week.

Biotin 5 mg same as 5000 mcg
MSM 1500 mg tablet
Horsetail aka natural silica 500 mg
Super Vitamin B Complex

What do you think about taking these all together ?

I can't figure out which one of these are making feel weird, I think it may be the MSM. I tried taking everything together, then I was feeling weird. Then I tried taking everything minus the MSM and took the MSM later on in the day, but still couldn't tell if it was making me feel weird or not.

I also take this about 30-60 mins after my birth control Ortho Cyclen. and the week I started the hair cocktail, I was on the sugar pills. I don't know if that had something to do with it, when I got the active pills back in my system.

Today I took everything except for the MSM, I think I feel better. If it is the

MSM, what can I do so that I won't feel weird. I want the hair benefits of it.

I take the hair vits in the a.m. after I eat breakfast, so it's the BC, 15-30 mins later breakfast and hair vits usually.

In the afternoon I take this mix is mainly for my heart:

GNC Ultra Mega Multivitamin
Swanson Ultra Max Plant Sterols 2 capsules ( I will be eliminating this in a short while, I upped my veggies and fruits )
Herbalife Mega Garlic Plus
Swanson's EFA Multi Omega 3-6-9 Flax, Borage, Fish 2 soft gels.

Okay thank you, I hope this is clear.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 24th April 2010, 3:00 am

Hi Dajewl

I also have another question about Garnier Fructis Haircare Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner, Dry to Over-Dried or Damaged Hair

My hair is LOVING this conditioner, the first time I used it I added olive oil and natrual honey to it, tonight I just co washed with it and my hair still melted ! OMG. I can't believe how much my hair loves this and it's so incredibly cheap.

So I am wondering what's in it that my hair is loving right now.

Here is some info:

or Dry to Over-Dried or Damaged Hair

3 Nutritive Fruit Oils - Olive, Avocado & Shea
Forties & infuses with nutrients for silky hair, full of life.
Is your hair dry, over-dried or damaged? Feel unhealthy to the touch? It needs nourishment without being weighed down.

Fructis Triple Nutrition The 3 nutritive fruit oils penetrate to nourish every strand to the core.

3 Fruit Oils For Triple Nutrition:

Olive Oil - Nourishes the inner core
Avocado Oil - Nourishes and softens the middle layer
Shea Oil - Nourishes and smoothes the surface.

Results: Triple nutrition for dry, over-dried or damaged hair. Hair is silky, radiant and full of life.

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (Palm Oil), Behentrimonium Chloride, Pyrus Malus Extract (Apply Fruit Extract), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCI, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Shea Butter), Citric Acid, Olea Europaea Oil (Olive Fruit Oil), Saccharum Officinarum Extract (Sugar Cane Extract), Benzyl Alcohol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado Oil), Ribes Nigrum Oil (Black Currant Seed Oil), Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Fruit Extract (Lemon Peel Extract), FD&C Yellow 5 (Yellow 5), FD&C Yellow 6 (Yellow 6)

I am journaling and working really hard on finding what my hair loves that is natural and that I can make at home. I noticed that this product had shea, olive and avacodo. My hair loves shea butter and olive oil when I added in DC's, my likes avaocado/coconut oil or milk DC but I can't leave it in longer than 30 mins. So I figured this may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure

I wanted to find out what is in this that is making my hair feel so moistrized and strong, is this a protein treatment, cuz it says fortifies on the bottle or moistrizer conditioner ?

Okay thank you, I love this science base approach to hair care. Very Happy
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 2:20 pm

Freestyles wrote:
First of all - How the heck did I miss this thread? Love it!

Dajewel can you weigh in on this?

The Infamous MISS JESSIE'S BABY BUTTERCREAM:

My hair loves this stuff! When I use it my hair feels soft, moisturized, and smells great! Unfortunately, I hear so many negatives from other curlies pertaining to the ingredients I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for using it. Am I causing damage to my scalp or tresses by using it?

Many complain about the use of cheap ingredients such as Mineral Oil and how the product is grossly overpriced. Though probably true, my main concern is damage, not price. HELP!

Here are the ingredients:
Deionized Water, Acetylated Lanolin, Beeswax, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Carbomer940, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Dilaurarte Laneth 15, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Imidazolidinyl, Jojoba Oil, Laneth 15, Mineral Oil, Methyl Paraben, Milk Protein, Panthenol, Paraffin, Peg-400, Peg-100, Stearate, Petrolatum, Propyl Paraben, Triethanolamine, Vitamine E, Wheat Germ Oil.

Thanks in advance,
---Reese

I like MJ Baby Buttercream too but I only use it once a month, if that much. I also use a sulfate shampoo afterwards.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by exhale1913 11th May 2010, 6:13 pm

Hi Dajewel - Just want to get your opinion on this. I LOVE creamy leave in, and the consistency of Giovanni Direct Leave in is just right. However, whenever I use it, it makes my hair hard, and hay like.

I am thinking about experimenting with adding oils, aloe vera gel, and possibly glycerin, but before I do that, I'm wondering if adding any of those things will "counteract" the protein. Is it possible to do that, or will my hair react the same because the protein content remains the same?
exhale1913
exhale1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 12th May 2010, 5:31 pm

Hey dajewel!

Have you ever heard of Dr. Natural's 2-n-1 shampoo/conditioner?

Here are the ingredients: Ingredients: Purified Water, Natural Coconut Oils, Cocos Nucifera, Lemon Grass Extract, Avocado Oil, Baglaure Aloe Barbadensis, Lanolia, Cocoa Midropropyl Betaine, Wheat Germ, Hazel Nut Oil, Natural Preservatives, Fragrance.

This is the way that it appears on the bottle. It's a company based out of ATL that have a lot of products in local hair stores. I am a little leery about what I believe to be lanolin (spelled lanolia) on the bottle. I've read where some people are alergic to it, but is it even good to put in your hair?!?! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Everything else looks fine to use based on the research that I've done, but I don't want to use it if that particular ingredient is harsh.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 27th May 2010, 2:42 pm

Hello dajewel,

SisterBoyd posted this video regarding shea butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOeaUXDE-GQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=HI3QuH_-lK4&feature=sub

People are wondering if shea butter is a moisturizer. The young lady in the video has some valid points, but I'm not sure that just because shea butter doesn't have water in it, it's not a moisturizer for dry hair.

Please let us know your thoughts.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 25th July 2010, 2:51 pm

where are you? We miss you!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 26th July 2010, 8:23 pm

Hi Dajewel. Can you shed some light on this paraben thing? Are they all that bad? I can't seem to find any direct information? Thanks!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd August 2010, 2:07 pm

hey, guys!!!! sorry i have been mia for a couple of centuries. God is good and great to me, as i have been working feverishly on some ventures in addition to going to school. i haven't forgotten about u guys; just trying to get my schedule down. i will get back to everyone shortly.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 3rd August 2010, 7:48 pm

Yea, welcome back!

Thanks!!! ~ cat
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 25th October 2010, 7:15 pm

I would like to know if the giovanni 50;50 cond & smooth as silk shampoo contain any protein I have been using them since I BC & it dries my hair out really bad jus wondering do i need to change to something else that will give me some moisture
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 26th October 2010, 6:11 pm

Hey DaJewel, I have a question:

what happens to shea butter after you put in on your hair and skin? Does it evaporate? is it absorbed? where does it go?

Same for oil. If I put a little on my ends in the morning by the end of the day it is gone. If I put a lot on damp ends it lasts longer but it too goes away.

Where's it going anyway?

thanks !
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 15th November 2010, 3:28 pm

Adjusting the Ph level of conditioners or shampoos is that as simple as adding Aloe Vera Juice or Gel to the product.. I've read somewhere that it's just that simple now I know you will need your ph strips but I wondered if it is just that easy. Here are the ingredients of Suave Almond and shea butter conditioner..

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice [Aloe Vera], Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil [Lemongrass], Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Dimethiconol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Chloride, Lactic Acd, Disodium EDTA, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, PEG-150 Distearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

I see aloe vera leaf juice as the ingredient so I am not sure if it is already ph Balanced but I figured with other products added it may throw it off a little..

Bless you for helping everyone with their questions knowing you must have a busy schedule.. It is truely apprecialted by everyone here.. Not trying to speak for everyone here but I know they appreciate it too:lol:

Not sure if anyone has asked this but some products claims they only use a little bit of sodium hydroxide in their conditioners and such and I've even seen articles to say it is used as a stabliizer.. Regardless little quantities or not if I used a certain product with that in it every 3 days for 1 year would that eventually cause some type of damage to my hair.. The product I have in mind is Herbal Essence Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner:

Water , Stearyl Alcohol , Dimethicone , Behentrimonium Chloride , Cetyl Alcohol , Butyrospermum Parkii Extract (Shea Butter) , Hydrolyzed Algae Extract , Fragrance , Benzyl Alcohol , Disodium EDTA , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Red 33 , Blue 1

Should I just leave this conditioner alone all together.. I stopped buying it but I would love your input..

letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 20th November 2010, 6:32 pm

letha wrote:Adjusting the Ph level of conditioners or shampoos is that as simple as adding Aloe Vera Juice or Gel to the product.. I've read somewhere that it's just that simple now I know you will need your ph strips but I wondered if it is just that easy. Here are the ingredients of Suave Almond and shea butter conditioner..

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice [Aloe Vera], Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil [Lemongrass], Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Dimethiconol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Chloride, Lactic Acd, Disodium EDTA, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, PEG-150 Distearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

I see aloe vera leaf juice as the ingredient so I am not sure if it is already ph Balanced but I figured with other products added it may throw it off a little..

Bless you for helping everyone with their questions knowing you must have a busy schedule.. It is truely apprecialted by everyone here.. Not trying to speak for everyone here but I know they appreciate it too:lol:

Not sure if anyone has asked this but some products claims they only use a little bit of sodium hydroxide in their conditioners and such and I've even seen articles to say it is used as a stabliizer.. Regardless little quantities or not if I used a certain product with that in it every 3 days for 1 year would that eventually cause some type of damage to my hair.. The product I have in mind is Herbal Essence Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner:

Water , Stearyl Alcohol , Dimethicone , Behentrimonium Chloride , Cetyl Alcohol , Butyrospermum Parkii Extract (Shea Butter) , Hydrolyzed Algae Extract , Fragrance , Benzyl Alcohol , Disodium EDTA , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Red 33 , Blue 1

Should I just leave this conditioner alone all together.. I stopped buying it but I would love your input..

im not dajewel, but im a science major, and i can tell you that the concentration and amount of sodium hydroxide in that conditioner is not enough to relax or alter your curl pattern, even if you used it everyday. its merely a pH adjuster.
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 20th November 2010, 6:44 pm

Thanks Iri9.. That makes me feel better but I wasn't worried too much about my curl pattern I guess I was more worried about it causing any damage but its good to know that it's just a ph adjuster..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd November 2010, 1:11 pm

swoodward wrote:Hey DaJewel, I have a question:

what happens to shea butter after you put in on your hair and skin? Does it evaporate? is it absorbed? where does it go?

Same for oil. If I put a little on my ends in the morning by the end of the day it is gone. If I put a lot on damp ends it lasts longer but it too goes away.

Where's it going anyway?

thanks !

hey there!

shea butter is actually absorbed into your hair and skin (because its chemical structure is similar to that of hair and skin-in chemistry, a great way to sum up why certain substances mix well with each other is because like attracts like). it does not evaporate.

as for oils? it depends on which oil you are asking about because some oils are absorbed into hair and some oil just sits on your hair. so, which oil are you referring to?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd November 2010, 1:23 pm

letha wrote:Adjusting the Ph level of conditioners or shampoos is that as simple as adding Aloe Vera Juice or Gel to the product.. I've read somewhere that it's just that simple now I know you will need your ph strips but I wondered if it is just that easy. Here are the ingredients of Suave Almond and shea butter conditioner..

adjusting the pH of shampoos and conditioners is and isn't just as simple to adjust.

why? because acids and/or bases are used to adjust the ph. as a chemist, it is easy because we are very familiar with these possible caustic acids/bases, as we use them on the daily and carry out calculations to figure out the exact amount is needed to make a solution acidic or basic. as a consumer that does not have experience in calculating and adjusting pH with caustic acid/bases (you will need to use protective wear), adjusting the pH is not just as simple.

i am unsure as to what you are asking about the aloe? if anything, aloe vera juice is not used to adjust the pH of the product. in this case, it is lactic acid.

the product with the sodium hydroxide will not alter your curl pattern because i can assure you that sodium hydroxide is used in very minute amounts to adjust the pH of the final product. so, you are fine. i would hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide yo hubby if you see sodium hydroxide at the very top of the ingredient list. hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd November 2010, 1:28 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I would like to know if the giovanni 50;50 cond & smooth as silk shampoo contain any protein I have been using them since I BC & it dries my hair out really bad jus wondering do i need to change to something else that will give me some moisture

to get a better idea what is causing u to have dried hair, could u kindly list your complete regimen?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next