CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Dajewel

+49
CurlyChefRobin
swoodward
TMS
Heart2Worship
exhale1913
agore07
CurlyCoCo
TriniCherryPrincess
EllaMomi2002
mochamoments
DMCC
SheeTacular
CurlyChick
Offandrunning
Happy2B
Miss CurlyT
crimsonbutterfly
Miz B
NhappyJackie
Ellagirl
fanmnatirel
Dorian
Freestyles
HAMPTONSFNST
Pinkrage
LearninToLove
Flyychik23
jamaicacurl
DawnieMich
Curly Film Chick
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
tiashaunteƩ
Melinda
CurlyMo
naturallyunique
ChrsLvsBks
naturallydestined
newme10
AfrikanLatina
Lynnieluve
NikG20
tmorgan
NappyJer19
Kea::curls
Intelligentbeauty
dajewel
sweetdrk1
*CurlyNikki*
53 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Dajewel

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th December 2009, 1:33 am

dajewel rocks!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th December 2009, 11:13 pm

thanks, intelligentbeauty!

i apologize for not responding to everyone's questions in a timely matter. Its finals for me this and next week (till next Sunday, December 20th), and so I will be pretty slow in responding during this time. My goal is to answer one question a day. I apologize for the inconvenience.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th December 2009, 11:23 pm

AfrikanLatina wrote:Ok, I have a question now. What would you recommend for our homemade mixes to use as a preservative? Where can you find it? How long will it keep a product fresh? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now, there are many types of preservatives: they include, but not limited to, fungicides, bactericides, antiseptic, antimicrobials, and emulsifiers (not only are these responsible for conditioning, smoothing, velvety feeling of hair, they are responsible of keeping water-in-oil and oil-in-water components intact in your product). Many essential oils could be used as a preservative.

What type of preservatives are you interested in knowing more about?

Last edited by dajewel on 11th December 2009, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 12:10 am

newme10 wrote:Hi Dajewel, this is Newme10. My hair is fine and naturally curly, however, I have had gradual thinning at the crown for years. I am now 41, soon to be 42, and really want this hair to grow back because it is very noticablly thin now after all these years. I just ordered a hair growth elixir from Afroveda and use volumnizing shampoos but find them to be somewhat drying and leave my hair looking and feeling dull (the volumnizer I used last night on my hair is from aubrey organics). any advice on what shampoos and conditioners I should use?

Hey, there!

I would like to get more info to add to this discussion: are you putting any stress to your hair via styling and heating? Also, what is your daily food diet? Are you currently taking any medications for blood pressure, arthritis, birth control, etc? Some medications do have an affect on hair thinning. How long have you been natural? I would also suggest incorporate minimal exercise on a weekly basis, as the blood circulation at the scalp will stimulate healthy hair growth.

As far as topical applications, how often are you shampooing, co-washing and/or deep conditioning? What is your usual hair regimen? i noticed you shampooed with a volumnizing shampoo from Aurbrey Organics. By any chance is it Chamomile Luxurious Volumnizing Shampooo? I noticed that pretty high up in the ingredient list is soy protein. This could probably mean you are protein sensitive or you needed to deep condition with a more moisturizing conditioner. These two reasons could explain why your hair felt dry and looked dull. Therefore, I would focus on gentle shampoos and conditioners that encourage hair growth/ thickening and that are moisturizing that have protein as one of the last ingredients or not included in the ingredient's list. Also, because we are entering colder months, I wouldn't shampoo as much. A shampoo/conditioner that you can try is recommended by member cutephantasm in this thread: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/good-shampoo-s-t174.htm. It is called Deity of Hair and can be purchased at CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, etc.

I am a fan of Afroveda's product line, as they incorporate Ayurveda. The Shikakai Hair Growth Elixir is chock full of the good stuff that should encourage new growth of thicker hair. Many essential oils are good for hair growth, and this product has some of them. Peppermint oil increases blood circulation (because its a vasodialator) which means more nutrients being carried to the scalp which means more healthy hair growth. spearmint oil also acts like peppermint oil, but in a more milder fashion. there have been studies that showed drinking spearmint tea on consecutive days can encourage healthy hair growth. lavendar oil has been noted as a therapy for alopecia. rosemary stimulates hair follicles which would then mean growth of hair. thyme is thought to slow hair loss. you can also try lemon, myrrh and basil oils. Try any combo of the aforementioned essential oils in aloe vera leaf juice, and spritz on the scalp. I have seen youtube videos discussing this aloe grow juice.

i would also suggest using products with Amla. Amla, also part of Ayurvedic specialty, is thought to strengthen the hair follicle and thicken hair growth. Also, amla helps in moisturizing and combating shedding. Some products to consider: Afroveda's Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream, straight amla in oils other than mineral oil, qhemet biologics Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade and Burdock Root Butter Creme.

Also, i would suggest massage extra virgin coconut oil and/or castor oil on the spot.

i hope this helps! Please keep us updated!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 11th December 2009, 12:26 am

dajewel wrote:
AfrikanLatina wrote:Ok, I have a question now. What would you recommend for our homemade mixes to use as a preservative? Where can you find it? How long will it keep a product fresh? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many essential oils could be used as a preservative. Now, there are many types of preservatives: they include, but not limited to, fungicides, bactericides, antiseptic, antimicrobials, and emulsifiers (not only are these responsible for conditioning, smoothing, velvety feeling of hair, they are responsible of keeping water-in-oil and oil-in-water components intact in your product).

I recently used tea tree oil in my whipped shea butter and wanted to know if that was adequate? If so how long will it keep a product fresh? Are there any particular preservatives that you would reccomend or does it depend on what your making?
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 12:53 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Ok dajewel, love your name by the way...lol

Last question. I have alot of bad conditioners (mineral oil, petro,etc) that I had when my hair was permed that I dont really want to waste. Is there a way to incorporate some ingredient in them to make them beneficial to my hair in some way as a pre poo or something. Maybe glycerin or something that would balance out the bad? and then what should the estimated measurements be.
Thanks

hey, there!

In all my experiences, i haven't encountered anything that would make mineral oil, petro or any by-products of petro more beneficial. Because of the strict hydrocarbon nature of mineral oil which means that it is impermeable to water or any type of moisture, application especially at your scalp will be detrimental to your hair growth. not only are these materials impermeable to moisture(is the reason why mineral oil is used in car engines to protect against unwanted moisture), they do not allow the pores of the scalp to breath. excessive use can cause build-up. therefore, you will have blocked pores. as we know, blocked pores will lead to inflammation and/or premature death of hair follicle. you would have to add a LOT of glycerin/water combo to overtake the thickness of the mineral oil. so much so you might as well call it a day.

the same reasoning is used to explain why mineral oil, etc are not good for the hair cuticle itself. Sure the mineral oil will lock in whatever moisture and nutrients were already on the cuticle, but its not going to promote effective and conducive smoothing of hair layers and the velvety touch that other ingredients afford. not to mention the heavy, stiff and sticky feeling feeling it gives our hair.

is there ever an opportune time to use mineral on your scalp/hair?? actually, i would use only for medicinal purposes. for example, sulfur 8 has interesting ingredients: sulfur,petro and mineral oil. sulfur is highly reactive once it comes in contact with air. mineral oil and petro which are inert, is an excellent carrier for sulfur because it does not allow sulfur to react to with air(btw: there are other natural oils that can serve as inert carriers for sulfur, but mineral oil is by far the cheapest and most companies hear the sound of the cha ching). sulfur 8 is used to treat fungus on the scalp and promote hair growth. once the fungus is treated, i would stop using this product.

if you MUST use the products containing mineral oil, petrol, etc you can use sparingly on the scalp and or hair if the mineral oil, petrol,etc is towards the bottom of the ingredient list and you are shampooing with a good clarifier or even using a good clarifying conditioner. I would not use it as a pre-poo, as you are better off using an oil or a good dc as a pre-poo. at least the oil or dc would be easier to rinse out and they would allow nutrients to enter as you go through your shampoo/co-wash/cd/leave-in/styling aids/mositurizer regimen.

HTH!!

Last edited by dajewel on 14th December 2009, 12:18 am; edited 3 times in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 11th December 2009, 1:31 am

I just wanted to say that I'm loving some dajewel! I'm now your groupy! LOL

You go, girl!
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 11th December 2009, 7:51 am

Yes Dajewel!!! I knew that it couldnt be possible to make bad products good. Another member of the curly community here was telling me that on you tube there is this person that is telling people that she heard from somewhere that this was possible. By diluting the bottles with glycerin and something else. I thought to myself "nooo waay." But I am glad I could ask someone like yourself and get the real answer.
Your are doing great job answering these questions. Keep up the good work. We need this [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Intelligentbeauty on 11th December 2009, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 11:44 am

AfrikanLatina wrote:
dajewel wrote:

Many essential oils could be used as a preservative. Now, there are many types of preservatives: they include, but not limited to, fungicides, bactericides, antiseptic, antimicrobials, and emulsifiers (not only are these responsible for conditioning, smoothing, velvety feeling of hair, they are responsible of keeping water-in-oil and oil-in-water components intact in your product).

I recently used tea tree oil in my whipped shea butter and wanted to know if that was adequate? If so how long will it keep a product fresh? Are there any particular preservatives that you would reccomend or does it depend on what your making?

what are the other ingredients in your whipped shea butter? is this the ingredient list? i got this from your butters n bars thread.
5oz unrefined shea butter (I just did it by eye, half of my 10oz tub)
4 or 5 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs almond oil
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs honey(optional)
12 drops tea tree oil

if so, honey is a good, natural preservative because it acts as an effective anti-oxidant. when a mix has honey, used at room temp, opened and closed often and not placed out of direct light , can preserve this mix up to nine months. your mixture does not need any emulsifiers.

the mode of mechanism to promote tea tree oil's preservative purpose have been studied. To date, studies have shown that tea trea oil is a preservative with many purposes: antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial and antiprotozoal. Tea tree is generally roughly effective in a mixture for about 12 months when used at room temp, opened and closed often and not placed out of direct light.

coconut oil has preservative properties. these properties are used to moisturize and penetrate the skin and hair cuticle, treat many topical skin/scalp disorders and help in premature skin aging. quite possibly these anti-oxidant and preservative properties can be extrapolated to help keep the mixture fresh.

when dating the expiration of a product, chemists and other quality assurance team members use the preservative with the earliest expiration date because we cannot be sure how the general consumer stores and opens/closes the product.

i would also suggest that simply storing in the refrigerator will prolong the shelf-life if you are not using tea trea oil or honey.

HTH

Last edited by dajewel on 11th December 2009, 4:20 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : cause i keep forgetting to put in stuff and proofread :/)
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 11:45 am

naturallydestined wrote:I just wanted to say that I'm loving some dajewel! I'm now your groupy! LOL

You go, girl!

thank you!!! anything i can do to help curly consumers to make better informed decisions!

Last edited by dajewel on 11th December 2009, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 11:47 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Yes Dajewel!!! I knew that it couldnt be possible to make bad products good. Another member of the curly community here was telling me that on you tube there is this person that is telling people that she heard from somewhere that this was possible. By diluting the bottles with glycerin and something else. I thought to myself "nooo waay." But I am glad I could ask someone like yourself and get the real answer.
Your are doing great job answering these questions. Keep up the good work. We need this [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thank you!! anything i can do to help with better informing the curly community! it would be interesting to view the video, though.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 11th December 2009, 11:47 am

woop woop!!! i'm going to watch this topic FOREVER Smile i learn so much great stuff on here cheers

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 11:49 am

Kea::curls wrote:woop woop!!! i'm going to watch this topic FOREVER Smile i learn so much great stuff on here cheers

yippey!!!! science is so sexy!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 11th December 2009, 7:03 pm

You are so on it sis! Thank you!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 9:23 pm

AfrikanLatina wrote:You are so on it sis! Thank you!

your welcome, sis!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 3 Empty thank you for the info!

Post by newme10 11th December 2009, 10:16 pm

dajewel wrote:
newme10 wrote:Hi Dajewel, this is Newme10. My hair is fine and naturally curly, however, I have had gradual thinning at the crown for years. I am now 41, soon to be 42, and really want this hair to grow back because it is very noticablly thin now after all these years. I just ordered a hair growth elixir from Afroveda and use volumnizing shampoos but find them to be somewhat drying and leave my hair looking and feeling dull (the volumnizer I used last night on my hair is from aubrey organics). any advice on what shampoos and conditioners I should use?

Hey, there!

I would like to get more info to add to this discussion: are you putting any stress to your hair via styling and heating? Also, what is your daily food diet? Are you currently taking any medications for blood pressure, arthritis, birth control, etc? Some medications do have an affect on hair thinning. How long have you been natural? I would also suggest incorporate minimal exercise on a weekly basis, as the blood circulation at the scalp will stimulate healthy hair growth.

As far as topical applications, how often are you shampooing, co-washing and/or deep conditioning? What is your usual hair regimen? i noticed you shampooed with a volumnizing shampoo from Aurbrey Organics. By any chance is it Chamomile Luxurious Volumnizing Shampooo? I noticed that pretty high up in the ingredient list is soy protein. This could probably mean you are protein sensitive or you needed to deep condition with a more moisturizing conditioner. These two reasons could explain why your hair felt dry and looked dull. Therefore, I would focus on gentle shampoos and conditioners that encourage hair growth/ thickening and that are moisturizing that have protein as one of the last ingredients or not included in the ingredient's list. Also, because we are entering colder months, I wouldn't shampoo as much. A shampoo/conditioner that you can try is recommended by member cutephantasm in this thread: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/good-shampoo-s-t174.htm. It is called Deity of Hair and can be purchased at CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, etc.

I am a fan of Afroveda's product line, as they incorporate Ayurveda. The Shikakai Hair Growth Elixir is chock full of the good stuff that should encourage new growth of thicker hair. Many essential oils are good for hair growth, and this product has some of them. Peppermint oil increases blood circulation (because its a vasodialator) which means more nutrients being carried to the scalp which means more healthy hair growth. spearmint oil also acts like peppermint oil, but in a more milder fashion. there have been studies that showed drinking spearmint tea on consecutive days can encourage healthy hair growth. lavendar oil has been noted as a therapy for alopecia. rosemary stimulates hair follicles which would then mean growth of hair. thyme is thought to slow hair loss. you can also try lemon, myrrh and basil oils. Try any combo of the aforementioned essential oils in aloe vera leaf juice, and spritz on the scalp. I have seen youtube videos discussing this aloe grow juice.

i would also suggest using products with Amla. Amla, also part of Ayurvedic specialty, is thought to strengthen the hair follicle and thicken hair growth. Also, amla helps in moisturizing and combating shedding. Some products to consider: Afroveda's Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream, straight amla in oils other than mineral oil, qhemet biologics Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade and Burdock Root Butter Creme.

Also, i would suggest massage extra virgin coconut oil and/or castor oil on the spot.

i hope this helps! Please keep us updated!

As far as my regime, I wash about once a week and somsoetimes short of a week but I defintely take your advice and cut down for the winter months. My diet is so-so; I do each refined sugars and fast food atleast twice a week. I try to get to the gym atleast 2-3 times a week.

I've been natural for years but just startsx wearing my hair curly about 3 weeks ago. Before I did start going curly, I would flat iron my hair practically everyday and blow dry EVERYTIME I washed it. At the salon they did the same thing. And yes,the shampoo I used was the Aubrey Camiole Luxurios...I will switch. I so have a pretty stressful lifestyle:I am a supervisor at my job-I supervise 8 people with varying personalities and non-stop, impossible deadlines and right now I have several family members living with me. I would say a live a stress-filled life. I am not on any medications and have no high blood pressure, as of my physical this past May.

finally, I havent received the elixir from Aryuveda and I did order the Alma shea. I will keep you posted. Thanks again; you're a gem!!

newme10

Back to top Go down

Post by newme10 11th December 2009, 10:18 pm

Also, you may be right about the protein because one of my hair stylists recommended a protein treatment to me and I took it home and sat under the dryer. My hair is extremely soft and after I came out from under the dryer, I had strands of hair on the cap and was afraid all of my hair would fall out! So, maybe protein isnt so good for my super fine hair...

newme10

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th December 2009, 5:36 pm

I am learning so much from this post. I am going to determine the ingredients that make my hair "just so."
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyunique 12th December 2009, 5:50 pm

Hi Dajewel! I need some help. First of, lemme say your credentials are AMAZING AND IMPRESSIVE!!! You better go ahead girl! I love seeing women in science doing BIG THANGS! I'm a scientist & future doctor, by God's grace! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alrightey....here's my question. I used this product: Softsheen Carlson Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Kids Braid Maintainer & Refresher (whew long name lol) as a braid spray/moisturizer when I had senegalese twists at the beginning of 2009. My hair was so soft & moisturized & it grew FASTER than it has ever grown w/ some extensions...it was AMAZING!! So, I was looking to use it again now that I just got some kinky twists since I'm transitioning and need something to moisturize and grow my hair out before I BC.

But, I was looking at the ingredients again and noticed some parabens towards the end =/ I know there's something wrong with them but I just don't really know what. Also, it has the glycerin which can dry out the hair in winter and I'm not so sure bout the propylene glycol.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Can you please help me evaluate this product? Should I find another alternative?? Any suggestions?

I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! I dont wanna let it go!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are the ingredients:

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Dicetyldimonium
Chloride, Cocos Nucifera/Coconut Oil, Panthenol, Silybum Marianum Ethyl
Ester, PEG-75 Lanolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium
EDTA, Parfum/Fragrance, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben.

Thanks for your help in advance!
naturallyunique
naturallyunique

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 14th December 2009, 12:04 pm

@dajewel~

WOW!!!!
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 15th December 2009, 11:26 am

Lynnieluve wrote:Dajewel, I have another request. Can you tell us all of the "secret" words for protein? And can you distinguish which ones are stronger than the others? I think I may be protein sensitive or it could be that I am just not getting the correct balance. Thanks you in advance.

hey, there!!

all healthy hair is supposed to be made of mostly of protein called keratin. the building blocks of all protein are amino acids, and the sequence of amino acids that are used to make protein is dictated by genetics. There are many types of amino acids that make up hair.

There are two forms of keratin: alpha and beta. One big difference between alpha and beta keratin is how they look. Alpha is characterized by its coil (like the visual structure of DNA) and beta by its flat sheets. The alpha keratin is what makes up hair, and gives healthy hair its characteristic flexibility, coils, waves, kinks, etc while being amazingly strong. some hair, as we know, is less coily as other hairs. here is a pic of a general alpha structure of a protein:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

see how the image is coily? coily alpha keratin def dictates how coily our hair is.

the strength of the hair is due to how one coily alpha keratin strand complementary coils/bonds to another coily alpha keratin strand just as strands are twisted to make a strong rope.

the keratin in hair is made of amino acids that are mostly negatively charged. here are some "secret" words to give you an idea that there is some protein activity:

hydrolyzed protein of (fill in the blank)
keratin
amino acids (because amino acids are the building blocks of proteins)
specific names of amino acids(there are 20 common amino acids: glycine, alanine, proline, valine, leucine, isoleucine, methionine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan, lysine, arginine, histidine, serine, threonine, cysteine, asparagine, glutamine, aspartate, glutamate)
egg protein
coconut protein (not very much of a protein, but may strengthen the efforts of a protein that is already in the product or hair)
wheat germ
horsetail (has cysteine)
silk protein (i feel they list this as a marketing tool. silk protein is no different than any other protein.)
soy

there is no quick and easy way to figure out if some proteins are stronger than others because the varied amino acid sequence that makes up the hair creates an environment complicated by differing amino acid characteristics (eg. charge repulsion, water-loving and water-hating natures within the structure,etc) that can be pretty difficult to hypothesize which protein treatment is beneficial for you. also, if hair is already healthy (characterized by having proper amino acids already in the hair's structure not compromised by constant chemical and heat), then products that have negatively charged amino acids will just repel from the negatively-charged amino acids already in the hair. the repulsion of charges means that hair has more negative charges than it naturally should have, which leads to friction and hair being rough and difficult to the touch. hence, these are reasons why some protein treatments don't take to well to some people's hair(ie. protein sensitivity); why you must use a moisturizing conditioner with more cationic elements than you usually need , if you do a protein treatment, which will help to neutralize charges and thus soften the hair strands.

One of the amino acids hair has is amino acid cysteine, and this amino acid is needed to keep the two alpha keratin strands together. This amino acid has sulfur in its side chain, which contributes to disulfide linkage between two alpha keratin strands and is the reason why hair smells bad when its burnt or has a relaxer; this means the two alpha keratin strands came apart and means the hair structure is now compromised and not as strong as it could be. If hair is falling out, it probably means it doesn't have enough cysteine. so, products with this amino acid would be good to use for these purposes.

There is a growing trend to use modified amino acids as surfactants. I would suggest using products with these modified amino acids if your needs to be cleansed, styled, moisturized while promote strengthening from chemical hair dyes, relaxers and constant heat manipulation.

keep in mind, as i pointed out in an earlier post, that in the protein spectrum of healthy hair, fine hairs often require more protein than coarse hairs.

although the hair is made mostly of protein (97% protein and the rest is water), its the water that needs to be continually replenished. the protein does not broken down or dissipate easily. that is why regimes should focus mostly on moisture addition and retention with a small portion (if at all) of protein addition.

Its great to use topical products that have amino acids that that help strengthen, but you also must make sure to eat a proper, well-balanced diet which will internally-deliver the needed amino acids to help grow strengthened hair. eating a well-balanced diet will definitely ensure that your hair has the proper protein. when such is the case, very little topical protein shipment is needed.

HTH!

*image courtesy of www.click4biology.com

Last edited by dajewel on 15th December 2009, 4:28 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : i think slower than i type)
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2009, 11:51 am

dajewel wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:Dajewel, I have another request. Can you tell us all of the "secret" words for protein? And can you distinguish which ones are stronger than the others? I think I may be protein sensitive or it could be that I am just not getting the correct balance. Thanks you in advance.

hey, there!!

all healthy hair is supposed to be made of mostly of protein called keratin. the building blocks of all protein are amino acids, and the sequence of amino acids that are used to make protein is dictated by genetics.

There are two forms of keratin: alpha and beta. One big difference between alpha and beta keratin is how they look. Alpha is characterized by its coil (like the visual structure of DNA) and beta by its flat sheets. The alpha keratin is what makes up hair, and gives healthy hair its characteristic flexibility, coils, waves, kinks, etc while being amazingly strong. some hair, as we know, is less coily as other hairs. here is a pic of a general alpha structure of a protein:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

see how the image is coily? coily alpha keratin def dictates how coily our hair is.

the strength of the hair is due to how one coily alpha keratin strand complementary coils/bonds to another coily alpha keratin strand just as strands are twisted to make a strong rope.

the keratin in hair is made of amino acids that are mostly negatively charged. some "secret" words to give you an idea that there is some protein activity:

hydrolyzed protein of (fill in the blank)
keratin
amino acids (because amino acids are the building blocks of proteins)
specific names of amino acids(there are 20 common amino acids: glycine, alanine, proline, valine, leucine, isoleucine, methionine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan, lysine, arginine, histidine, serine, threonine, cysteine, asparagine, glutamine, aspartate, glutamate)
egg protein
coconut protein
wheat germ
horsetail (has cysteine)
silk protein (i feel they list this as a marketing tool. silk protein is no different than any other protein.)
soy

there is no quick and easy way to figure out if some proteins are stronger than others because the varied amino acid sequence that makes up the hair creates an environment complicated by differing amino acid characteristics (eg. charge repulsion, water-loving and water-hating natures within the structure,etc) that can be pretty difficult to hypothesize which protein treatment is beneficial for you. also, if hair is already healthy (characterized by having proper amino acids already in the hair's structure not compromised by constant chemical and heat), then products that have negatively charged amino acids will just repel from the negatively-charged amino acids already in the hair. hence, these are reasons why some protein treatments don't take to well to some people's hair.

Hair has the amino acid cysteine, and this amino acid is needed to keep the two alpha keratin strands together. This amino acid has sulfur in its side chain, and is the reason why hair smells bad when its burnt or has a relaxer; this means the two alpha keratin strands came apart and means the hair structure is now compromised. If hair is falling out, it probably means it doesn't have enough cysteine. so, products with this amino acid would be good to use for these purposes.

There is a growing trend to use modified amino acids as surfactants. I would suggest using products with these modified amino acids if your needs to be cleansed, styled, moisturized while promote strengthening from chemical hair dyes, relaxers and constant heat manipulation.

HTH!

*image courtesy of [url=http://www.click4biology.com
www.click4biology.com[/quote[/url]]

Dajewel, you're the best!!!! I am trying to figure out if I am protein sensitive or if I have been using too much protein. Now I can go check out my products to see!! I am getting ready to actual stick to a regimen and I want to start out using protein once a month and go from there. Thanks a bunch!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 15th December 2009, 11:54 am

naturallyunique wrote:Hi Dajewel! I need some help. First of, lemme say your credentials are AMAZING AND IMPRESSIVE!!! You better go ahead girl! I love seeing women in science doing BIG THANGS! I'm a scientist & future doctor, by God's grace! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alrightey....here's my question. I used this product: Softsheen Carlson Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Kids Braid Maintainer & Refresher (whew long name lol) as a braid spray/moisturizer when I had senegalese twists at the beginning of 2009. My hair was so soft & moisturized & it grew FASTER than it has ever grown w/ some extensions...it was AMAZING!! So, I was looking to use it again now that I just got some kinky twists since I'm transitioning and need something to moisturize and grow my hair out before I BC.

But, I was looking at the ingredients again and noticed some parabens towards the end =/ I know there's something wrong with them but I just don't really know what. Also, it has the glycerin which can dry out the hair in winter and I'm not so sure bout the propylene glycol.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Can you please help me evaluate this product? Should I find another alternative?? Any suggestions?

I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! I dont wanna let it go!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are the ingredients:

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Dicetyldimonium
Chloride, Cocos Nucifera/Coconut Oil, Panthenol, Silybum Marianum Ethyl
Ester, PEG-75 Lanolin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium
EDTA, Parfum/Fragrance, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben.

Thanks for your help in advance!

am on it!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 15th December 2009, 11:59 am

ur welcome, lynnieluve!!! keep us posted!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda 17th December 2009, 8:41 pm

Hi Ladies,
I am sooo happy 2 b n the fold. Question or comment, since we have a number of contributors in the medical and related fields; I submit that the hair growth rate is at least 65% genetic and the remaining 35% hair care.
Melinda
Melinda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next