CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Dajewel

+49
CurlyChefRobin
swoodward
TMS
Heart2Worship
exhale1913
agore07
CurlyCoCo
TriniCherryPrincess
EllaMomi2002
mochamoments
DMCC
SheeTacular
CurlyChick
Offandrunning
Happy2B
Miss CurlyT
crimsonbutterfly
Miz B
NhappyJackie
Ellagirl
fanmnatirel
Dorian
Freestyles
HAMPTONSFNST
Pinkrage
LearninToLove
Flyychik23
jamaicacurl
DawnieMich
Curly Film Chick
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
tiashaunteƩ
Melinda
CurlyMo
naturallyunique
ChrsLvsBks
naturallydestined
newme10
AfrikanLatina
Lynnieluve
NikG20
tmorgan
NappyJer19
Kea::curls
Intelligentbeauty
dajewel
sweetdrk1
*CurlyNikki*
53 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Ask Dajewel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ask Dajewel

Post by letha 23rd November 2010, 1:37 pm

i am unsure as to what you are asking about the aloe? if anything, aloe vera juice is not used to adjust the pH of the product. in this case, it is lactic acid

Thanks that is what I was asking I saw some where that PH adjusting was as simple as adding Aloe Vera Juice.. Thanks this helps out a lot with the PH and with with soduim hydroxide..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th November 2010, 2:06 pm

ur welcome, letha!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th November 2010, 2:09 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I would like to know if the giovanni 50;50 cond & smooth as silk shampoo contain any protein I have been using them since I BC & it dries my hair out really bad jus wondering do i need to change to something else that will give me some moisture

hey, there! i use the conditioner as a leave-in (undiluted) and it has left my hair soft and shiny. it has a protein, but a lil bit. so little that i don't believe it is the culprit. to get a better idea could you kindly give me a run down of your regimen?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th November 2010, 2:19 pm

CurlyChefRobin wrote:Hi Dajewel. Can you shed some light on this paraben thing? Are they all that bad? I can't seem to find any direct information? Thanks!

Parabens are used as preservatives, specifically as anti-fungal and antibacterial agents. They are p-hydroxybenzoic esters. For example, methly paraben can be found in blueberries. Methly and ethyl parabens are cheap and very effective. They are quickly hydrolyzed/metabolized and excreted from the body. Acute toxicity studies on rats show parabens are practically non-toxic. Other studies show that due to weak protein competitive binding, the parabens are noncarcinogenic. They are also generally nonmutagenic. Still, there is research that suggests that parabens are skin allergens even at low concentrations, and is why they are last in the ingredient list (also because you don't need a lot of parabens to preserve a product).

There is a real possibility that small percentage (ie outliers) of the human population will see some adverse affects to parabens. Why? Although these toxicity studies are very thorough, with testing on as many animals and humans as much as possible, the reality is that these studies can't account for every different body type.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 6th December 2010, 11:04 am

swoodward wrote:where are you? We miss you!!!

am here!! thank you for your concern *hugs*
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 6th December 2010, 11:12 am

TMS wrote:Hello dajewel,

SisterBoyd posted this video regarding shea butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOeaUXDE-GQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=HI3QuH_-lK4&feature=sub

People are wondering if shea butter is a moisturizer. The young lady in the video has some valid points, but I'm not sure that just because shea butter doesn't have water in it, it's not a moisturizer for dry hair.

Please let us know your thoughts.

good question!! shea butter (and others like it) are not moisturizers. if anything, it is considered a conditioning agent because it makes your hair soft (emollient), adds nutrients and protects hair from environmental elements. so, that is why one's hair is dry when only shea butter. in my experiences, in and outside the lab, i have found that shea butter (and the like) help in moisturizing because they are sealants....so, in some scientific circles shea butter (and the like) have loosely described as moisturizers. [b]

hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 6th December 2010, 9:43 pm

Hi Dajewel!

I was wondering if you can provide any insight into the use of "hair steamers?" Are they truly beneficial? I am considering investing in one (x-mas gift to self Laughing ) but wonder if they can really improve the condition of your hair with regular use. If so, what is the best method to use the steamer - with conditioner, some other product, or with naked hair?

Additionally, is it possible to oversteam your hair? Shocked

Can the steamer be used with braid or twist extensions?

One popular website states:
The Huetiful Hair Steamer helps overcome the variables that lead to dry hair. It does this by restoring moisture 5x better than deep conditioners alone. The Huetiful Hair Steamer achieves these great results by opening up the cuticles of your hair to allow the conditioner or hair treatment to be pulled deeply inside the hair shaft. While the hair cuticles are open, the Huetiful Hair Steamer bathes your hair with warm mist to replenish lost moisture.

http://www.behuetiful.com/

What are your thoughts, Dajewel? scratch

Thanks,
-Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by alove15 22nd March 2011, 12:33 am

If a shampoo (giovanni smooth as silk) contains amodimethicone and cocamidopropyl betaine do they cancel each other out? I read that cocamidopropyl betaine can be used on partly water soluble silicones such as amodimethicone.

Here's the ingredient list:
Aqua (Purified Water) With *Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, (Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, *Ginkgo Biloba Extract, *Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamide Mea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycol Distearate, Amodimethicone, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysulfaine, Decyl Glucoside, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disteareth-75 Ipdi,C11-15 Pareth-7, Citric Acid, C12-16 Pareth-9,Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance With Essential Oils. *Certified Organic By Guaranteed Certification Services.
alove15
alove15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8