CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

+18
slimwithabs
Fleur
CarlaAR
Ladybird
MsJay1121
princesspen
rayray19
krissyc39
KeAnia
Ambitious_Tiff
Berry3674
Thinice
ladygogohot
Butterfly125
The Raw Twinkie
CiaE
misskris
MissyCee
22 posters

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE - Page 25 Empty Re: NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

Post by Ladybird 17th March 2011, 3:46 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Hey ladies! I feel like I have not posted in so long.

@Ladybird
I'm glad your breakage is slowing up. I've never heard of garlic treatments. I try not to comb my hair so much also. I definitely have noticed a difference in the amount of shed hair. After I wash and detangle, I go thru and gently pull the section to get anything I missed in the shower. Idk, after having done this a few months, I kinda think combs just pull your dang hair out to a degree. Anyway, can you tell me more about the garlic oils and treatments? I am noticing some breakage and would like to get it stopped before it gets started to well.

]Soooo I am getting a little tired of transitioning. Well maybe not so much transitioning as styling. I miss just being able to go to bed with my hair in a ponytail. Idk if its just b/c of the sheer amount of stuff I have crammed in the day or what. I am always tired and sleepy and having to spend 2-3 hours to do hair is not working. I did find a new way to kinda help keep my tnc's up. Its a modified pineapple. I use kinda push all of my hair up toward the ceiling and bobby pin in around the perimeter. There are some longer parts that tend to hang over, so I either pin those tendrils to the crown of my head with the curl in or loosely tie a ribbon around it. Then I can just throw on my bonnet and go to bed. In the morning I can just remove the pins, fluff, and go. Honestly I think I am about to start bunning if my hair cooperates. I am gonna go to Wal-Mart tonight and get this little bunformer thing I have been looking at. I have noticed some breakage and split ends so I will be getting a trim in the next few weeks. Hopefully that and bunning will help. If bunning doesn't do it. I will be getting a nice sew in. [/color]

Hey Tiff...question for you. when do you plan on BCing? Anytime soon? sorry cannot help you with your transitioning, because i just chopped all my hair off and start form the beginning, but i would imagine having two textures of hair can be alot of work.

About my garlic treatment... i use to do it before ( don"t know why i stopped) but it helps with breaking and shedding. What you do ...takes a head of garlic, smoosh it and soak it in EVOO for about a week and then use the oil for DC or what ever else you choose. keep in mind is smells absolutely horrible Very Happy . Then i rinse my hair with Black Tea and ACV.

Also i just found this great website where the oil are great

Just spreading the love!
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/
http://www.newdirectionsuk.com/shop/index.php/

check em out
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 17th March 2011, 4:09 pm

Thanks for the link, Ladybird!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 17th March 2011, 4:33 pm

No problem!!!

Very Happy
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th March 2011, 5:05 pm

@Butterfly
LOL! I have an aunt that does that to me still! Seriously. LOL!

Ladybird wrote:Hey Tiff...question for you. when do you plan on BCing? Anytime soon? sorry cannot help you with your transitioning, because i just chopped all my hair off and start form the beginning, but i would imagine having two textures of hair can be alot of work.

About my garlic treatment... i use to do it before ( don"t know why i stopped) but it helps with breaking and shedding. What you do ...takes a head of garlic, smoosh it and soak it in EVOO for about a week and then use the oil for DC or what ever else you choose. keep in mind is smells absolutely horrible Very Happy . Then i rinse my hair with Black Tea and ACV.

Also i just found this great website where the oil are great

Just spreading the love!
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/
http://www.newdirectionsuk.com/shop/index.php/

check em out

Thanx Ladybird! I will definitely be looking into this. I don't want to trim before time to measure again but I don't want the splitting/breakage to continue. No Its sounds like a viable treatment though. I have both of those things at home. Lol, since it smells bad, I think I will only dc with it. Lol, thank you for the advance notice on that. I still haven't decided on my official bc date. Sad, I know. I am thinking I will bc when I gain admission to Upper Division nursing school. So that should be in about 2 years. Idk if I will just big chop then or if I will "mini chop" then do the rest on my graduation day. Idk. As time goes on I am thinking I am just going to bc then and focus on growth and health so I can rock one serious fro for graduation or a really fly twist out. afro
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 17th March 2011, 8:52 pm

Hey all! I have not measured but still am applying castor oil. I am not going to measure until the end of may. I am still using naptural85's method for twisting my hair sans bantu knots. Twisting my hair used to take 5 hours at minimum, now a cool 2 hours. Hopefully with the castor oil and protective style I will see more growth.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 17th March 2011, 9:52 pm

Ladies thank you all for the continued prayers and thoughts-you all are the sweetest and best.
Each day gets better with time and I'm grateful for that!

I know the challenge is ending soon and I haven't posted any measurements but I think my hair is about 5 inches all around or a little more. Sorry I can't get measurements now for you, however I do have other news. I self BC'd!!!!! Yes you read it right, I did it two days ago in my bathroom and I have no hangups or regrets. I just felt like what am I holding on to these relaxed ends for, I just felt I needed to let them go. Maybe with everything going on I just felt theres a lot I need to let go and this was one of the things so I did it. I was smiling all in the mirror and afterwards. So now I'm rocking my mushroom top wanna be puff! smiling. Its good to smile again and know God gave it to me because a few weeks back I didn't have it in me.

CarlaAr- yes this is my real name, I am named after my grandmother(she's probably about 80 or 90 something now). My father is from Sierra Leone, West Africa. The family tends to recycle names in the family so :-)

Ladies be well and blessed!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 17th March 2011, 10:29 pm

You did your own BC???? Fantabulous!!! Please post lots of pics. I see you smiling in your avi. I actually don't remember that you had relaxed ends. I'm putting mine in hiding tomorrow. I will make sure to post pics.....
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 12:15 am

@Yacoomba - That's right, girl, set yourself free in whatever manner feels right to you!!! Congrats on your BC cheers ! What an interesting family you have. Very cool.

@Thinice - It's great that you're making progress with your hair. It's always nice when we find a way to shorten our routine, right?! I wish you much growth afro

@MissyCee - Yes, I can't wait to see your pics! Maybe I'll even get some myself.

@Tiff - Yeah, um, my uncle still does it to me so don't count on her to stop...EVER!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 18th March 2011, 11:07 am

Hi ladies! Just checking in on you all. Everyone's looking good!! I'm still hiding under my sew in. If I ever doubted my decision to go natural that is so over now!! I miss my afro like nobody's business!! But I'm going to be patient. I know how well my hair grows when left alone so I'm excited for the length I can achieve this summer. I wash and oil my scalp once a week with my castor oil. This time next year i'm reaching for shoulder length!
Well you guys have a great weekend!
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 12:42 pm

Good for you, Berry!! That's why I could never get locs or anything like that because I would miss my curls too much I love you

Small hair update: Look what I can do now! I was waiting for my hair to grow long enough to do something, anything other than finger coils. So I tried it this morning and voila, it worked [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 18th March 2011, 12:57 pm

@Yacoomba
Congrats on your bc!!! Self bc at that! Its wonderful to know you're feeling better and better as each day passes! :wouhou:

@Butterfly
I am LOVING the twists! I need to come back to Vegas so you can do my hair, lol. I love you

@Berry
Good to see you again! Lol, you have much more endurance than me. I have not really protective styled my hair yet, lol. Your hair will be back before you know it. Very Happy

Maybe I am get getting lazy but I decided to go ahead and start my "bunning." Here's the one I am wearing today. (If you can even call it a bun.)
I will try this over the next few weeks with the garlic treatment to see if my breakage will stop. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is how often to redo it. I have to use gel to make my hair lay down in the front, otherwise I have the hairy halo effect. Also I am pinning my ends down for this kinda twisty bun so I'm not all the way sure if that's helping or hurting. It was quick so that was great. My hair is still a little damp from the gel but its warm so its okay. Happy Friday everyone!!
sunny
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 1:15 pm

Happy Friday!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tiff, thanks, and yeah you do need to come back! I'll do your hair, no prob. I like your twisty bun. And you said it was quick, so that makes it even better. I use Curls passion fruit curl control paste to slick down my edges and to control any unruly curls I spot. I LOVE it! It is the only product I think I've tried so far that I can say I will probably never stop using.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 18th March 2011, 1:57 pm

I will have to try that. The only thing I don't like it that I will have to shampoo more to keep the amount of build up down. Crying or Very sad I am currently use IC Fantasia Gel (the clear one) and/or Ampro Prostyl Protein Gel. I like that ICF gel b/c it make my hair have some really nice small waves. On the flip side, for it to hold I have to tie my hair down and let it dry and it still may not keep all of my hair in place. If I dry to just apply that and go, my hair will do that halo thing. The APP gel is good b/c the hold is almost immediate. Unfortunately it doesn't allow my hair to wave up as much and for some reason I am scared its gonna take out my hair. As far as the Curls gel, do you only use it on your edges? Do you think it would be good for bunning?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 2:16 pm

Wow, if you're scared it's gonna take you hair out, that must be some hold...lol. The Curls is not a gel, it's a pomade so I wouldn't recommend it for bunning, just the edges and any flyaways. Do you like Eco Styler with olive oil or with argan oil?

I do have to tell you all that I think the argan oil IN the Eco Styler gel is the culprit for those white waxy balls in my hair. Misskris suggested that it may be that some oils don't mix well with creamy products so I stopped using the argan oil to test that, and poof, no more beads...until this morning when I put KCKT and Eco Styler with argan oil on my hair to do my twists. Those little white beads popped up right before my eyes Shocked So I'm going to try the gel without creamy conditioner and see what happens. Any suggestions on other conditioners I can use?
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th March 2011, 2:19 pm

Hey Butterfly... i too am coming to L.V to get my hair done. Those are some nice twist. Wish i could do that.

@Tiff...let me know how the garlic treatment worked. Remember you have to do it a couple of times to see results. Your bun is slamming

@yacoomba...good to see that you are taking it one day @ a time and things will get better. And you did the BC :wouhou:

@Berry...Can't wait to see how much growth you get when you take your hair down.

Oh Yeah..TGIF...just waiting for 5pm dance
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 2:26 pm

Thanks, Ladybird!! Come on! I'll do your hair, too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 18th March 2011, 2:40 pm

@Butterfly
Yeah it really gets hard. I'm only afraid it will take out my hair b/c its so fine and fragile and it takes a lot of agitation to get that stuff out. I like to use and oil or something under it so its not so bad. LOL! I can't believe it just beaded up like that! OMGoodness that is absolutely horrid!! So are you looking for a more watery conditioner? I use Aphogee Pro Vitamin conditioner. Its not all natural but it works wonders on my hair, lol. Doo Gro also has a good leave In, but I can't think of the specific one. I want to say its just called Doo Gro Leave-In Growth Treatment... I am gonna have to definitely find some more natural options.

@Ladybird
Aaaww, thank you! I will definitely let you know on the garlic treatment. I am going to start letting it sit up tonight. Should I just like leave it on the counter? Where should I store this? Oh yeah, and am I supposed to leave the garlic in as I use it or discard it?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 2:47 pm

Thanks, Tiff. Yeah, I'm looking for something more watery or light or clear...just not white and creamy. The lighter formula is better for summer anyway. I'm going to look for some natural products, too. I'll let you know if I find anything good. I do like Aphogee though.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th March 2011, 3:49 pm

hehehehe...thanks

I am so lazy with styling. I only wear my hair in a puff, but i love all those natural styles and i refuse to let anyone put their hand in my hair again.

Except you
Laughing
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 3:56 pm

Awwww, that's so sweet! Yes, you know I will treat you and your hair right, girl! I've decided that I'm even going to trim my own hair. When I went to get my BC, I noticed that my girl was all rough with my hair, combing it dry and just bulldozing through those tangles...hahahaha, I could hear it tearing. At first I was like, what the *@%$, but then I realized that she wasn't doing anything different than she had in the past 2 years of me going to her. It was just that I noticed because now I'm hip on how to care for my hair. You know what I mean? So I love her, I really do, but she will not be touching my hair again because even though she's a sista, it's obvious that I would have to teach her how to care for our curls. I don't have the time nor the patience.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th March 2011, 4:06 pm

@Tiff.... for the first 2 days leave it on the counter so that the sulfur can be drawn out and then put in the fridge so that it don't go bad. When ready to use you can either warm it up or leave it @ room temperature.

What i do i leave my garlic in because i add more oil for the nest time... i try to get @ least two uses out of it. It should be fine you just want to get the sulfur from the garlic in the oil.

HTH

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th March 2011, 4:10 pm

Yep!!! i sure do. i have not let anyone touch my hair for 3year and 3 months Very Happy I think i will go crazy if they go "bulldozing" through my hair. Evil or Very Mad

I worked to hard to get to this point . If the damage is going to be done let it be done by my hands.

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 18th March 2011, 4:13 pm

Yes, I'm enjoying it. Wonder what the first detangle session is going to be like Shocked
I transitioned for almost 14 months so I had enough time to prepare. A lot of the styles I wore basically seemed like I was natural anyway (that's how I treated my hair). So now I've got the HIH disease, I touch my hair every so often throughout the day (lol).

This weekend I will wash it because I've been loading it with SheaMoisture Hair Milk and my shea butter mix for moisture (it's been so soft), I'm going to attempt to put in twists. Last weekend was a fail because of the timeframe and I was ready to go to bed so the airdrying overnight was the choice. Nothing like a get up and go (who would have thought). Very Happy

Thnx ladies for well wishes Razz

Last edited by yacoomba on 18th March 2011, 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th March 2011, 4:19 pm

Ladybird wrote: Yep!!! i sure do. i have not let anyone touch my hair for 3year and 3 months Very Happy I think i will go crazy if they go "bulldozing" through my hair. Evil or Very Mad

I worked to hard to get to this point . If the damage is going to be done let it be done by my hands.

You're right, Ladybird. That's why as I sat in that chair getting the rest of the relaxed ends cut off I was thinking that was the last time I was going to be there. For the past several years I had only gone to the "experts" to get my hair cut and the one time I got highlights. Everything else I did myself so I'm just going to add trims to my know-how and never look back.

@Yacoomba - oooooh, I got HIH BAD...hahaha. I just love the way the curls feel and the way the spring back when I pull them (gently). I have been very good at not touching them though for the last three days. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to keep my hands out of my hair.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th March 2011, 4:38 pm

You know what i think is funny "These so called Experts" do more damage than good, not all of them but quite a few.

Sometimes i just want to go and sit and get my hair done (braided or twist extensions) but when i think about it i cringe of what they will do. Not a chance i am willing to take.

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next