CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter?

+17
Curlykid78
C.
Karyn
poeticlyspkng
curlya
Renny
Neems
prettybrown213
Keisha
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
BajanPrincess82
Poundcake921
moonchild
SisterBoyd
freckledmom4
Free2Be
akaprincess00
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter? Empty Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter?

Post by akaprincess00 6th October 2010, 6:57 pm

This will be my 2nd Fall/Winter as a curly & I won't be doing protective styling this time either. Though not clearly stated in the handbook, twists would be frowned upon at my job. Last year, I was really careful about conditioning and avoiding prolonged exposure when it was really cold outside. I was able to maintain & still see some growth by either pinning or re-twisting at night. This year, I'm going the same route but I'll probably get more into silk scarves & hats. I spent most of the weekend with my hair braided & under a tam. Plus, I always re-twist/braid as soon as I get home to help reduce the amount of time my hair's out.

I always feel left out when all the protective styling challenges start this time of year! Laughing Anyone else doing something similar? Share your game plan with me!
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter? Empty Re: Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter?

Post by Free2Be 6th October 2010, 9:09 pm

It's been a year and I have never worn a protective style for the purpose of protecting my hair. I've tried twists as a different style (didn't work), but that's all.

It does get cold in northern Alabama, although I know it's not as cold as other places, but I never had an issue last year wearing WNG's every day or not changing my hair products for the winter months. I did the usual with my shampoo, conditioners, deep conditioners and moisturizers. No more, no less and had no adverse reaction during the cold months. And neither did I ever develop a cold or fever or other illness from going out with a wet head in 40, 30, 20, and teen degree weather and wind chill.

But that's just my experience. So, I will continue my WNG routine until I can produce a decent twist out, braid out or twist and curl.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter? Empty Re: Anyone not doing protective styling for Fall & Winter?

Post by freckledmom4 6th October 2010, 11:26 pm

I'm glad to know that there are some curlies out there who wng all year long and retain length. This is my first winter natural and have yet to like the results of my twists, twist outs or braid outs. I keep practicing, but I always end up doing a wng puff in the morning. I am looking for lighter styling products because I wan to put the gels away-they take too long to dry. I plan on increasing my dcs and hennas to help strengthen my hair because I really want to retain my length.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 6th October 2010, 11:43 pm

I'm a faithful w'n'g girl. I don't do twists! Nope, no way, not at all! I look like who done it and why. Actually I look like Whoopie on the Color Purple and that isn't cute! And I don't think their appropriate for all occassions in business - my persoanl opinion for me.

So with that I wear w'n'gs all year. I do have some issues with dryness a few times a year but after 3 years I think its either a need to clarify, slight change in weather, and my own chemistry. I live in the valley of Los Angeles so I get more weather than those in the heart of LA. At times I will do a headwrap, but it needs to be right or I'm not wearing it. hahaha

I still get growth and my hair still thrives. I cowash every 3-4 days. I moisturize and seal at least once a day. Sleep in a satin bonnet and on a satin pillowcase. And I do search and destroy missions on the regular.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 7th October 2010, 11:33 am

This will be my first full fall/winter and I'm not planning on doing protective styling. I am a little concerned about my hair rubbing against my collar when it's down b/c I'm wearing jackets and sweaters, but other than maybe pinning it up on those days, I'm going to keep doing twist outs and possibly some more straight styles.

What's the point of having fun hair if no one ever sees it???

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 7th October 2010, 12:02 pm

Moonchild, I've asked the same question several times hahahaha
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by akaprincess00 7th October 2010, 12:04 pm

I'm not a WnG girl b/c it's more work for me as I'm 4a/4b. It would require me to do more frequent S&D missions. Twist/Braid-outs are just the controlled chaos that I need.

@moonchild - I'm about 2 inches from APL so I always have the same worry in the back of my head. 98% of the time, I twist/braid on damp to wet hair so that I have great shrinkage to keep it off my shoulders. I've also started to make the last row of twists/braids a tad bit smaller than the rest so that it's curled tighter throughout the day. On days that I wear turtlenecks, I'll just put a few bobby pins in to pull it up a bit.

I'm a Leo & think that may attribute to me always needing to have my MANE free-flowing!
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 7th October 2010, 8:29 pm

I haven't worn a protective style since I bc'd earlier this year; it will also be my first full fall/winter with my natural hair. I personally do not like protective styles but I woudn't mind doin a half braided mohawk style with twists on side...

I plan on wearing my hair out the whole time and will just stick to my daily/weekly hair regimen.

My twistouts always come out lookin a hot mess but a style I do like to do is french braid the front of my hair and use it like a hair headbead: keeps the hair off my forehead and prevents breakouts!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th October 2010, 11:00 pm

The most protective styling I do is buns. I wear braid-outs, twist-outs, puffs/ponytails, and buns all year long.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 7th October 2010, 11:48 pm

There probably wont be much protective syling for me either this winter. Im a WNG girl too. I have yet to be able to get twists or braids to stay in my hair without unraveling so those are out and my hair is too short for a bun. When I do protective style It'll probably be bantu knots (i'm not afraid to rock them outside the house lol) or maybe cornrows (I have to put rubberbands @ the ends though) or I was thinking of maybe getting a curly halfwig for when I really just wanna be lazy. Either way Im just going to keep up with sealing my ends, DCing once/week and I may up my hot oil treatmets to twice a month and I think I should be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 8th October 2010, 2:01 am

Due to my hectic school schedule, being a gym rat and pure laziness, bunning seems like the way to go.
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 8th October 2010, 3:25 am

Keisha!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any pictures or links to were I can find cute bun styles?

And what are you guys using in your buns?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th October 2010, 9:09 am

Tiashaunte has a great bunning method. Check out her website and/or fotki.

For my buns I just use my hair and a scrunchy to wrap it around. Or, I put my ponytail into four twists or braids and wrap them around each other. I don't use the donut thingy b/c I'm too lazy/cheap to buy one. lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 8th October 2010, 10:17 am

I won't be doing any protective styling this winter either. I've been natural all my life. For me, I retain more length by using less heat, so that's the plan. In the past, I've worn my hair straight from Dec-March. This year I may do things a little differently and just wear my twist-out year round since I am officially in love with that style (plus I can now get a whole week out of it--without cowashing in between--so that's a plus!)
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 8th October 2010, 11:26 am

Last winter I tried wng and it was a no-go. Breakage, knots and tangles everywhere so I stick to twists and twist-outs. I've tried bunning and tuck and roll but it just doesn't look good on me. I'll usually keep them in for a few days and then wear a twist-out for the rest of the week. No one at my job complains and it means I can sleep longer in the morning Very Happy
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 12:27 pm

moonchild wrote:What's the point of having fun hair if no one ever sees it???

I agree.

My hair is too short for anything like twists or buns. I tried twists and then a twist out and I looked crazy. I don't like cornrows or wigs, so I'm left with braids. I am going to get Kinky Twist (as soon as I can find someone to do them). I used to go to shop, but now that I know my hair and care about it, those chicks won't be getting their hands on my hair anymore. I'll miss my curlies.

Last edited by Renny on 8th October 2010, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 8th October 2010, 12:27 pm

I agree as well!
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 8th October 2010, 2:37 pm

@ akaprincess00 & SisterBoyd Thank you!
I really wanted to continue my WNG, but also wanted to maintain healthy hair. It’s nice to know you can WNG all the time and still keep healthy hair dance

As it's gotten cooler, I've been adding a moisturizer at night, sleeping on satin pillows and then co-wng in the am. I also DC weekly. My twists/ twistouts look bad on me. However the finger coils I tried this week looked good at night (horrid in the am, even with a spritzing). SO WNG it is!

@ freckledmom4– This is my first winter too! How often do you henna now? I have done it once a week for the last three weeks and am thinking I should slow down. I’d like to know what your experience has been.

curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 8th October 2010, 3:40 pm

@ curlyaI usually henna once a month and do a gloss 2 weeks later, but I think that I may start to henna every 2 weeks if time permits. How is your hair holding up with cowashing daily? What to you use when you wng?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 8th October 2010, 4:39 pm

@ freckledmom4 - My hair is doing okay. I'm in Atlanta so it is not really cold yet, just cooler in the mornings. I literally get in the car in my garage and get out in the garage at work so I am not in the "cold" air. At home before I leave, I ploop (with a tshirt) in the am before leaving the house. Also on Mondays, (because I hate to get up), I spritz instead of co-washing since I am normally running late Embarassed In my spritz I have KCKT, EVOO and water. I soak the hair til it's dripping, but it's not a co-wash day.

I use aussie moist in the shower to cowash and then shake. Then I add KKNT; spray EVOO and pat my head with shea moisture. If the curls are not there I will add a gel after the EVOO (olive oil eco styler) - But, I try not to use gel too much.

I have a jar of shea butter and a jar of coconut oil; and incorporate them sometimes, but they are new to my array of products so they've not made it to the daily regimen.

I started this journey in July of this year, and so far I'm happy with the results. I just want my hair to be healthy. Then I am sure the length will come.

Your avatar is great! Your hair is so shiny - what do you use?

curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 8th October 2010, 6:22 pm

I don't do protecive styles myself for various reasons but I realized recently the number one reason I don't is because I don't like them on me and neither does my spouse. Regardless, my hair has responded well to wearing it curly via twist/braid outs and the occasional wash and go. BUT- since my hair has grown out- wngs leave me with a lot of fairy knots so I think that is a thing of the past for now. I prefer to let it hang (mostly it stands Smile )and besides- it will be warm in the winter! Smile
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 8th October 2010, 9:19 pm

i plan on trying twists a few times and straightening my hair MAYBE, but i'll be wearing braid/twist outs for the most part.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 8th October 2010, 9:49 pm

CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) wrote:There probably wont be much protective syling for me either this winter. Im a WNG girl too. I have yet to be able to get twists or braids to stay in my hair without unraveling so those are out and my hair is too short for a bun. When I do protective style It'll probably be bantu knots (i'm not afraid to rock them outside the house lol) or maybe cornrows (I have to put rubberbands @ the ends though) or I was thinking of maybe getting a curly halfwig for when I really just wanna be lazy. Either way Im just going to keep up with sealing my ends, DCing once/week and I may up my hot oil treatmets to twice a month and I think I should be fine.

If you do put some bantu knots in your hair, can you share pix? *please*
I really wanna see someone wearing them as a style and not as a means to a style. I've tried them on my hair when it's twisted and I really liked them, but on loose hair they dont look as cute for some reason confused

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 8th October 2010, 9:51 pm

to answer the topic, I probably will be wearing protective styles, mostly twists because they are so easy to put in and take out, plus they make for a cute twist-out. I may do some faux-hawks, or some PrettyDimples01 hairstyles, she usually has some pretty easy, novice type hairstyles

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlykid78 9th October 2010, 12:07 am

Hey Everyone! I am so glad I found these posts....I LOVE WNGs because its the only natural style I have mastered..lol.... it's easy to do and quick. As I sit and type this I am under the hair dryer letting my hair dry. I co-wash with Mixed Chick DC and then apply JoJoba Oil and a little bit of Miss Jessie baby buttercreme to my hair. I follow that with mixed chick leave-in (i LOVE THIS PRODUCT).

I sometimes use a hand held dryer for volume and sleep in satin bonnet.

Next day refresh by shaking my hair out and add a little jane carter leave in spray if needed...or CUrls Quench Curls spray. These products are light and don't soak my hair so before I leave home my hair is just about dry.

I am usually out the door in 10 min with this process

My WnG hair is shown in my profile picture

akaprincess00 wrote:This will be my 2nd Fall/Winter as a curly & I won't be doing protective styling this time either. Though not clearly stated in the handbook, twists would be frowned upon at my job. Last year, I was really careful about conditioning and avoiding prolonged exposure when it was really cold outside. I was able to maintain & still see some growth by either pinning or re-twisting at night. This year, I'm going the same route but I'll probably get more into silk scarves & hats. I spent most of the weekend with my hair braided & under a tam. Plus, I always re-twist/braid as soon as I get home to help reduce the amount of time my hair's out.

I always feel left out when all the protective styling challenges start this time of year! Laughing Anyone else doing something similar? Share your game plan with me!
Curlykid78
Curlykid78

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrCurlyKid32

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next