CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter?

+9
JazmineB
Thetruthisoutthere
Curlykid78
CrissyQ
krazy coils
curlytee
brownsugar09
makeupvixen
feliciap708
13 posters

Go down

Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter? Empty Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter?

Post by feliciap708 19th September 2010, 6:46 pm

Hello to my natural sista, ok I live in Chicago and it gets pretty darn cold here in the fall and winter months. I am currently using a water and glycerin mix spritz along with some other stuff I added lol, however I can't go out with my head wet in the winter time. What can I use to keep my locks moisturized during the cold months?
feliciap708
feliciap708

Back to top Go down

Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter? Empty Re: Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter?

Post by makeupvixen 19th September 2010, 7:14 pm

Well this winter I am going with Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and I'm sealing with HairVeda Vatika Frosting. Plus bunning more. But that's my plan for this winter, thicker creams and sealing.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter? Empty Re: Keeping hair moist for the fall and winter?

Post by brownsugar09 19th September 2010, 8:30 pm

Ditto on the Qhemet Biologics AOHC. I'll be sealing with Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Just left New York and finally got my hands on some cheers.
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 19th September 2010, 10:57 pm

Can't go wrong with the Qhemet Biologics AOHC or the Black Castor made with the Shea and Coconut mixture on top of a heavy conditioner.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by feliciap708 26th September 2010, 7:47 pm

Thanks ladies for the info, lets see how this will work for me.
feliciap708
feliciap708

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 26th September 2010, 8:22 pm

I am cosigning on the Qhemet's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. Definitely a good moisturizer for the winter.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 26th September 2010, 8:38 pm

thanks, i will have to try this one
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlykid78 26th September 2010, 9:44 pm

Hey ladies. I am a newbie...what is Qhemet Biologics AOHC? Does it work on any hair type? How do you apply it? lol Where can I buy it?

I know I am asking a lot of questions...;p...
Curlykid78
Curlykid78

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrCurlyKid32

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 26th September 2010, 10:06 pm

Curlykid78 wrote:Hey ladies. I am a newbie...what is Qhemet Biologics AOHC? Does it work on any hair type? How do you apply it? lol Where can I buy it?

Qhemet Biologics is a company, all natural company. They make the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (AOHC) that everyone raves about. It's a great heavy cream and great for the winter because it's super moistrizing. You can find it online at http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/ but they have a few locations around to buy it from in stores.

It's applied sparingly, lol, because it's so heavy. But gurl it's like the Holy Grail of heavy creams for the winter. This is my first winter using it and I have fallen in love with it. It's only Fall and my hair is loving it.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 27th September 2010, 12:04 am

That AOHC has been described as "rain in a jar". A product that does what it says it's supposed to do!

I've heard others state that one shouldn't use glycerin in the winter. Something to consider.

The AOHC is heavy, so use sparingly. It didn't provide much 'hold' for me, maybe it's not supposed to, but it does leave 4b/c softened.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 27th September 2010, 6:16 am

Thetruthisoutthere wrote:
I've heard others state that one shouldn't use glycerin in the winter. Something to consider.

Yea I heard that too. Because it's dry in the winter, and since the glycerin pulls moisture into dry things (usually its pulling moisture from the air to your dry hair), it will do the opposite and pull moisture from your hair to the hair & dry it out.

Also, the air is really dry inside during the winter because all of the heaters and everything. And our hair & skin don't like the drastic change from cold outside to really hot inside, and it dries it out. Thats what I heard.

So protective styling will "protect" it from the drastic temperature changes. And thicker moisturizers, less "hair milks" and oils, and more "hair butters" will probably help too
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 27th September 2010, 6:44 pm

I plan on getting the oyin whip pudding!!!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by feliciap708 27th September 2010, 8:34 pm

Thanks for the link makeupvixen, I am going to my local health food store tomorrow, because they close in 15mins lol.

Smooches
feliciap708
feliciap708

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 29th September 2010, 4:00 pm

makeupvixen wrote:
Curlykid78 wrote:Hey ladies. I am a newbie...what is Qhemet Biologics AOHC? Does it work on any hair type? How do you apply it? lol Where can I buy it?

Qhemet Biologics is a company, all natural company. They make the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (AOHC) that everyone raves about. It's a great heavy cream and great for the winter because it's super moistrizing. You can find it online at http://www.qhemetbiologics.com/ but they have a few locations around to buy it from in stores.

It's applied sparingly, lol, because it's so heavy. But gurl it's like the Holy Grail of heavy creams for the winter. This is my first winter using it and I have fallen in love with it. It's only Fall and my hair is loving it.
I think I'll be putting this on my list. How do you use it. By that I mean, where in your regimen would you apply it and how often? Any bad reactions mixed with other products?
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 29th September 2010, 4:38 pm

I apply it on damp hair after I have deep conditioned.

When i want to add it on dry hair I wait until the morning and mix it with a little bit of the hydrating honey balm and leave out the door. Some people will add a styling gel at this point but I don't really like gels or holding gels.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th September 2010, 4:54 pm

I like Afroveda’s Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter. Its texture reminds me of whipped cream. I seal it with butter or a thicker oil (i.e., castor, avocado).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 29th September 2010, 5:19 pm

ChrsLvsBks. I see people talking about EVOO and EVCO, sweet almond oil, and castor oil alot, but I don't hear much about avocado oil. May I ask what benefit you get out of it? I was wondering about a good moisturizing alternative to the AOHC. I find even my shea butter seems to be heavy on my hair. I usually mix it with coconut oil almost like you do butter and sugar when baking a cake. I was curious to know if you use the JBCO or the refined kind. IF you have used both, did you notice any difference?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by feliciap708 29th September 2010, 7:41 pm

Ok ladies I picked up my AOHC yesterday OMG this stuff is expensive. I applied last nite with a few twist, and I must say it is the bomb. Just like makeupvixen said you don't need a lot, and for the cost of this bad boy this is going to last me a few months. lol! Hey ladies do you think I can apply aloe vera gel with it just curious to know if anybody tried it:pd:
feliciap708
feliciap708

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 30th September 2010, 1:49 am

Yeah that Qhemet AOHC is some kind of wonderful, lol. I mean a finger full on my APL hair and I'm set. That one jar should last me months. It took me a long time to find my right amount to use but now I just love it. Another is the AfroVeda Shea and Amla Butter Cream but it still isn't as heavy as Qhemet AOHC. I think I will be using the both of those through this winter and see how my retention reacts. Last winter I was trying KBB and JBCO and it was ok, hopefully this winter will be pure magic for me.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st October 2010, 3:54 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:ChrsLvsBks. I see people talking about EVOO and EVCO, sweet almond oil, and castor oil alot, but I don't hear much about avocado oil. May I ask what benefit you get out of it? I was wondering about a good moisturizing alternative to the AOHC. I find even my shea butter seems to be heavy on my hair. I usually mix it with coconut oil almost like you do butter and sugar when baking a cake. I was curious to know if you use the JBCO or the refined kind. IF you have used both, did you notice any difference?
From the website fromnaturewithlove.com,

"Organic avocado oil has been used in African skin treatments for centuries. This highly therapeutic oil is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B5 (Panthothenic acid), Vitamin D, E, minerals, protein, lecithin and fatty acids. This oil is expeller pressed from organic avocados and then gently refined for stable shelf life.
Organic avocado oil is a useful, penetrating nutrient for dry skin and eczema. Avocado oil is said to have healing and regenerating qualities. It should be used as a massage oil at 10% dilution. Use in creams, lotions, balms, body butters, hair oils and lip balms. It also has a high percentage of unsaponifiables, making it a nice oil to use in soap. Although it can be used as a major portion of oils for a sensitive skin bar, it is costly. As such, most soap makers use a small percentage of avocado oil."

I have used Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO), unrefined castor oil, organic virgin CO and refined COs. I have not noticed a difference when used in my hair. I will say I like to mix JBCO & castor oil with a lighter oil since it is so thick.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down