CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

+52
curlya
naturallynola
mizcreativelyme
wyldhoney
swoodward
freckledmom4
thetiffany
LovingLife
nattyblog
cyclingchick
Fabulousat50
WhosThatRedHead
AfrikanLatina
Ebbz
Buttercup76
QuietButterfly
missmoriah
coilykinks
curlsunfurled
CocaColaCutie
ladykay6
curly-me-naturally
ChrsLvsBks
poeticlyspkng
krazy coils
iri9109
priceless
Muz
jlowman1
TheRYL1
DvaAuNaturel
tiashaunteé
ktoliver5303
NubieNatty
Nikcoils
jcanalena79
talljournalist
sweetdrk1
CrissyQ
Intelligentbeauty
Erica5417
Lynnieluve
NhappyJackie
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
bholmes87
Cherry: extraordinary!
MellowOne
LaToya28
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
mstokes2008
56 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by mstokes2008 27th April 2010, 8:37 pm

Thanks Mel!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by mstokes2008 27th April 2010, 8:46 pm

So just a quick update...

Nothing special at all going on with Miss Makayela. I've been 2strand twisting my bang at night so its easier to get my edges to slick back and I must say that I think I maybe getting the hang of it. woot! Still not comfortable enough to rock a whole head of them yet but maybe sometime during the summer. Who knows?

I'm thinking about getting some castor oil because I feel like my edges are slowly showing signs of thinning because of my horrible headband abuse Evil or Very Mad
Can I get this at walmart? And what are some good brands?

Also as bad as it is, I'm dying to have my red/burgundy hair back. I want to do a cherry cola rinse sooooooooo bad but I'm all of a sudden alot more scared than I use to be. I did the Henna thing which I know colors your hair after continued use, but Idk if it's necessarily bold enough for me. What to do What to do?? Could a rinse be as damaging as commercial hair dye??
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 27th April 2010, 11:01 pm

Back away from the headbands. As for the buildup, maybe you should clarify once a month. I know you are CG but so is MahoganyCurls (wonder how the move is going) and she clarifies.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 27th April 2010, 11:57 pm

Hey Lynnie I'm thinking about doing a modified CG route because I'm having issues letting go of my beloved Aussie Moist I love you. I've been using my TIGI Bed Head MM as a cowash and leave in and I love it probably more than the Aussie Moist but it has protein in it and I think the almost daily use of it and the protein is making my hair very mad. She doesn't seem to do well with protein so Idk confused
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 12:00 am

As for color, if you have an Aveda salon in your area, that may be an option. Their colors are 98% natural and don't contain PPD which are found in both dyes and some rinses. I seriously considered color right after I BCed and did lots of research, but eventually decided against it.

Also, if you choose not to go that route, there are some henna mixes that can give a burgundy color as well.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 28th April 2010, 12:04 am

Juices-n-Berries wrote:As for color, if you have an Aveda salon in your area, that may be an option. Their colors are 98% natural and don't contain PPD which are found in both dyes and some rinses. I seriously considered color right after I BCed and did lots of research, but eventually decided against it.

Also, if you choose not to go that route, there are some henna mixes that can give a burgundy color as well.

There are no salons really around my school I would either have to go back home to SA or go to Austin. But I probably won't end up doing the rinse because I would probably end up addicted again lol. Color was my weakness when I was relaxed.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 12:40 am

mstokes2008 wrote:
Juices-n-Berries wrote:As for color, if you have an Aveda salon in your area, that may be an option. Their colors are 98% natural and don't contain PPD which are found in both dyes and some rinses. I seriously considered color right after I BCed and did lots of research, but eventually decided against it.

There are no salons really around my school I would either have to go back home to SA or go to Austin. But I probably won't end up doing the rinse because I would probably end up addicted again lol. Color was my weakness when I was relaxed.

I totally understand. I experimented with color when relaxed as well. I want a blond fro to be honest. Lol. But I'd rather have healthy hair.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 28th April 2010, 12:55 am

lol a blonde fro? Priceless lol. But you're right. Healthy hair is much more important
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 28th April 2010, 8:51 am

i wanted a strawberry blondish red color (think janet jackson-i get so lonely video) for my amber rose but i never went back. i've never thought twice about coloring wit a perm either but now im scared. tia colors her hair so that gave me motivation but more than likely i'll just wait til my hair is longer. im lookin forward to henna cuz for now i just want a hint of red. i also looooove my hair kardashian black so i KNOW if i was to do a black rinse or color it would take forever to go from that to a brighter color. what to do...what to dooooo!!!

i definitely agree w/lynnie, clarify once a month (i use suave's clarifyer) and u can also do the acv rinse too!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 28th April 2010, 1:17 pm

It's weird, besides the one time I bleached my hair so i can get the red I wanted my relaxed hair was so healthy (well as healthy as it good be lol). Didn't have product issues. I didn't have protein issues when it came to products or anything, now she's basically like "screw you" to everything I try. So even though my rinses were always fine, I'm scared how it'll effect my hair now.

Ugh I feel like she's been snooty and turning her "nose" up at everything I try lol. I can't really do 9 and 10 dollar products right now or ordering stuff online but that's what everyone has been suggesting to me. I'm ready to just put kinky twists in it and be done but then I'm afraid I really won't be able to figure out this love hate relationship.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 28th April 2010, 4:51 pm

If you love color you should check out Blondie and BlondebyDesire. Blondie is a bleached blonde. They both have beautiful hair. I'm sure they can help you decide how to color and have a great healthy head of hair.
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th April 2010, 10:21 pm

Hey, I hope you figure out how to be happy with your hair!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 30th April 2010, 1:50 am

SheeTacular_Napps wrote:If you love color you should check out Blondie and BlondebyDesire. Blondie is a bleached blonde. They both have beautiful hair. I'm sure they can help you decide how to color and have a great healthy head of hair.

You're right! I'll be sure to check them out!

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hey, I hope you figure out how to be happy with your hair!!

Thanks! I'm happy with it, I just have those days sometimes when its just like GRRRR!!!! lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 30th April 2010, 1:22 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:
SheeTacular_Napps wrote:If you love color you should check out Blondie and BlondebyDesire. Blondie is a bleached blonde. They both have beautiful hair. I'm sure they can help you decide how to color and have a great healthy head of hair.

Thanks! I'm happy with it, I just have those days sometimes when its just like GRRRR!!!! lol
I think we all have those days! But I know you still love your hair, it's just being difficult right now. I would say don't get kinky twists because then when you take it out, you still won't know what to do with your hair!!!! I say keep on experimenting and taking care of your hair and hopefully your trial and error will pay off sooner rather than later Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 30th April 2010, 1:43 pm

bholmes87 wrote:
mstokes2008 wrote:

I think we all have those days! But I know you still love your hair, it's just being difficult right now. I would say don't get kinky twists because then when you take it out, you still won't know what to do with your hair!!!! I say keep on experimenting and taking care of your hair and hopefully your trial and error will pay off sooner rather than later Smile

Great advice bholmes!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 30th April 2010, 1:48 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:

I'm doing a henna this weekend with the hopes of getting burgundy...I'll post pictures once I'm done as well as what I used... Very Happy
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 30th April 2010, 1:50 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:It's weird, besides the one time I bleached my hair so i can get the red I wanted my relaxed hair was so healthy (well as healthy as it good be lol). Didn't have product issues. I didn't have protein issues when it came to products or anything, now she's basically like "screw you" to everything I try. So even though my rinses were always fine, I'm scared how it'll effect my hair now.

Ugh I feel like she's been snooty and turning her "nose" up at everything I try lol. I can't really do 9 and 10 dollar products right now or ordering stuff online but that's what everyone has been suggesting to me. I'm ready to just put kinky twists in it and be done but then I'm afraid I really won't be able to figure out this love hate relationship.

I'm not sure what your product stash is like, but you can always check the swap forum. I've been lucky over there!! Very Happy
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st May 2010, 10:30 pm

Mstokes, what type of products are you looking for for your hair? Your bougie hair, I might add. Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 5 Lol I understand the challenge you're going through because it can be hard to find what works but hang in there. Try not to give in to the Kinky Twists. Your hair is flourishing and at this point it's trial and error. Let me know what you are trying to do for the hair....might be able to help you out.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st May 2010, 11:14 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:
So just a quick update...

Nothing special at all going on with Miss Makayela. I've been 2strand twisting my bang at night so its easier to get my edges to slick back and I must say that I think I maybe getting the hang of it. woot! Still not comfortable enough to rock a whole head of them yet but maybe sometime during the summer. Who knows?

I'm thinking about getting some castor oil because I feel like my edges are slowly showing signs of thinning because of my horrible headband abuse Evil or Very Mad
Can I get this at walmart? And what are some good brands?

Also as bad as it is, I'm dying to have my red/burgundy hair back. I want to do a cherry cola rinse sooooooooo bad but I'm all of a sudden alot more scared than I use to be. I did the Henna thing which I know colors your hair after continued use, but Idk if it's necessarily bold enough for me. What to do What to do?? Could a rinse be as damaging as commercial hair dye??

Mstokes,

Here are some resources I found about hair coloring. Hope this information is helpful. BBD might have some tips too.

http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Best_Rinse_for_Natural_African_American_Hair

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hair-color-ideas-for-african-americans.html

http://www.blackbeautyandhair.com/html/display/features.asp?ID=188&bypass=

http://www.hair-style-magazines.com/haircolor.html
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 2nd May 2010, 12:31 am

Hey Mstokes,
personally I wouldn't do any color treatments to my hair, if I were you. My reasoning would be I have not gotten to that place of peace between me and my hair.
You have not figured her out yet. So you need to establish this first because adding any type of color beside henna, of course. If you want bold color then try a temp spray on color. It works just as well and the beauty is you can wash it out and change the color as you like. Just make sure to really layer up on the leave in products and oils because the sprays I have seen contain the bad alcohols.

Also try simplifiing your routine and go for more all natural products. That way you can shampoo less and cowash more, which in turn will help to boost your moisture level. Try to deep condition every week and just keep it simple and natural.

HOPE THAT HELPS Smile
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 3rd May 2010, 12:52 pm

Thanks so much ladies for all the advice!! I'm holding off on the color because I really do not know my hair and I don't want to freak her out even more lol. I'm starting to combat that dryness I was experiencing. Since I'm in the Product challenging I think I'm doing really well not switching stuff up. I used the Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner when I was experiencing some serious itchiess and it worked just fine, I actually really liked the Giovanni TT, I hated the 50:50 and I'm pretty sure it was because of the protein. But I am running out of my conditioner so when the challenge is over I may switch to the Giovanni Line because I've been really wanting to try the direct leave in but I can't find it anywhere in town Sad

But thats all for now, again thanks for all the help ladies!!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 5th May 2010, 1:24 am

So nothing much is going on today with my hair. I'm running low on conditioners (finally) lol. But sadly I have NO idea what to buy next. Me and protein are not getting along AT ALL, I ordered some Giovanni Direct Leave In but I will probably be returning it because of the protein. It's really hard almost impossible to find products with no 'cones, protein, or other yucky ingredients in the stores that is LESS than 10 bucks Sad I'm not sure what to do.

On the other hand I am attempting a twistout puff for tomorrow and probably the rest of the week. I sure hope it turns out ok, we'll see in the morning.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th May 2010, 10:11 am

I cant wait to see the twist out puff. You should try the leave in before you return it. It only has a little protein in it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th May 2010, 10:42 am

mstokes2008 wrote:
So nothing much is going on today with my hair. I'm running low on conditioners (finally) lol. But sadly I have NO idea what to buy next. Me and protein are not getting along AT ALL, I ordered some Giovanni Direct Leave In but I will probably be returning it because of the protein. It's really hard almost impossible to find products with no 'cones, protein, or other yucky ingredients in the stores that is LESS than 10 bucks Sad I'm not sure what to do.

On the other hand I am attempting a twistout puff for tomorrow and probably the rest of the week. I sure hope it turns out ok, we'll see in the morning.

here's a list: http://sites.google.com/site/ladylonghair/'cone-freeconditioners

And I think 80% of the list is under $10
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 6th May 2010, 11:49 pm

@Tia- thanks I remember seeing that list somewhere a few months ago.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next