CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

+52
curlya
naturallynola
mizcreativelyme
wyldhoney
swoodward
freckledmom4
thetiffany
LovingLife
nattyblog
cyclingchick
Fabulousat50
WhosThatRedHead
AfrikanLatina
Ebbz
Buttercup76
QuietButterfly
missmoriah
coilykinks
curlsunfurled
CocaColaCutie
ladykay6
curly-me-naturally
ChrsLvsBks
poeticlyspkng
krazy coils
iri9109
priceless
Muz
jlowman1
TheRYL1
DvaAuNaturel
tiashaunteé
ktoliver5303
NubieNatty
Nikcoils
jcanalena79
talljournalist
sweetdrk1
CrissyQ
Intelligentbeauty
Erica5417
Lynnieluve
NhappyJackie
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
bholmes87
Cherry: extraordinary!
MellowOne
LaToya28
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
mstokes2008
56 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 4:25 pm

Wooooo you are making a dent!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by mstokes2008 7th April 2010, 5:05 pm

I know!! But it's ok because anything I'm not using my mom will gladly use lol. I'm determined to use it all without overloading my hair. But I must say I'm learning alot & I have realized that nothing gives me curl definition like my HETT and I'm starting to miss it. lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by talljournalist 7th April 2010, 5:20 pm

Reading your thread from last week, and I had similar questions about hair types a few weeks ago. The best resource I found was http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types. But don't stress about your hair type. Just focus on growing and maintaining healthy hair Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
talljournalist
talljournalist

http://www.sweetmusiccakes.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th April 2010, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the link!! Based on that I'm more than likely a nice little mix of 3c & 4a
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th April 2010, 6:23 pm

Happy Hump day ladies!

So last night I cowashed with my Giovanni 50:50, used it as a leave in and sealed with some EVOO. My first reaction was that it was ok. The smell had nothing on any of my other conditioners and the slip was ok. I contemplated using my Moisture Maniac as my leave in after I cowashed but I stuck with it. I also baggied overnight and this morning my hair feels so soft. I spritzed and added a smidgen more conditioner, sealed with EVOO, and added some Kiss my Face upper management gel. Theres no crunch, my curl definition is just ok, there is some nice sheen going on, and when I rub my hands through my hair I don't come back with excessive shine. But on the plus side, my hair is REALLY soft. So we'll see what happens over the next few days.

As for today, class was cancelled!!! Yippee!!!! woot! lol so when I came back to my room out of boredom and curiosity I pulled my conditioners out and looked up the different ingredients in them on http://www.tightlycurly.com . Found some interesting stuff out there, pretty useful site, I even bookmarked it lol.

But other than that nothing much is going on today. My mommy is coming to take me shopping at the outlet and out to eat so I'm going to get ready. I will probably take pics and post them later. Until then, Hatsa luegos!!!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 7th April 2010, 7:32 pm

Hasta luego.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 12th April 2010, 8:02 pm

Happy Monday ladies!
Hope all is well, my internet seems to hate me seeing as I typed everything and it erased it all Sad

But not much has been happening lately, I finally found a regimen and some products that work really well for me. I love my ecostyler gel!! & Im able to stretch my WnGs up to 3days!!
On another note, I ordered some shea butter, jojoba oil, and a aloe vera spritzer from BnB a couple weeks ago and they accidentally sent me someone else's order. So I emailed BnB and told them the problem they told me to just keep it! So I got 2 boxes of Henna and some extra Shea Butter!! So I'm currently looking for a good recipe and I will probably use the Henna this weekend.

Here's some random pics from last week of my WnG and when I dared to go without a headband to class(I wasn't really feeling it)

Headbandless & glasses!!
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00717

Top of my fro that day!
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00716

Usual WnG, with just some Bed Head MM left in, EVOO, and some Eco Styler gel
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00718

Off to class!!
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00719
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 12th April 2010, 9:07 pm

Hey msstokes, your hair looks lovely as usual. Congrats on getting some free products LOL...

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Empty My first attempt at flat twists since my BC!!!!

Post by mstokes2008 13th April 2010, 5:17 pm

Happy Tuesday Ladies!!! So last night I tried my first attempt at flat twists on my hair! At first I was just playing around while my hair was dry and the few I did turned out kinda ok, but I know that my hair cooperates better when its wet. So I cowashed with my beloved Aussie Moist♥️ (I'm going to try and go CG in a few days so I had to get it out of my system since it has a cone lol. But here are the results of my attempt:
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00812

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00814

My hair isn't as long on the top so it came out pretty funky because it wouldn't stay twisted lol
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00815

I was only planning on leaving them in during the night bc I didn't love how they looked and figured they would look worse in the morning. && I was very very right!! lol
Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Dsc00816

So yeah I took them bad boys out in a hurry, I tried spritzing it to get some of my curls to come back alive which didn't work, so I hopped in the shower really quick and did a quick cowash with my suave naturals tropical conditioner, and to my horror my hair felt so gross as soon as I rinsed it out. It was kind of hard and dry and just not cool Shocked . I had similar results from the cantu shea butter leave in, my giovanni 50:50, and every now and then my HEHH. To say the least I was really confused especially since everyone has raved about the suave coconut conditioner. So I quickly re conditioned with my Bed Head MM and I felt MUCH better lol. So I was off to class with a typical WnG!

Being bored in class lead me to do some research on why my hair was yielding these types of reactions to some of the products that many people swore on and the only thing I found similar in all of them was the protein! So I looked up ingredients in 2 other products that I've used in the past (relaxed, transitioning, natural) that didn't work, specifically Organics Hair Mayo leave in, and my once beloved ORS Replenishing Conditioner (was my favorite while I was relaxed) and they all have protein... hmmm... I'm beginning to think I may be slightly protein-sensitive. I say slightly because the Bed Head MM has silk amino acids which I'm pretty sure is a protein but I handle that ok. And I'm also not sure if the HEHH has protein in it or not.

Could any of you lovely ladies give me some advice on the protein thing? It's confusing me to say the least lol.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 15th April 2010, 6:03 pm

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with my hair. WnGs are simple but they're starting to get really boring and I don't like pushing my hair back with a headband everyday but I don't like how my hair looks with it just "out". Which is weird because when I was relaxed you would rarely catch me without a bang of some type.

I've tried 2strand twists and they didn't really look right and they wouldn't stay. I've tried coils but they weren't really working either. I know the key is practice & patience but I feel like my hands are in it way to much. Idk what to do. I'm feeling really discouraged. I want to just go get it braided or get kinky twists put in, but I don't have the money. I just don't know what to do. Sad

Help please??
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 15th April 2010, 6:14 pm

Here's some great information I found on proteins when I, too, thought my hair is protein sensitive. I now believe I just needed to find a protein/moisture balance and stop using products with certain ingredients in my hair. Hope it helps!!

PROTEINS USED ON HAIR

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products.

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein – this is responsible for keeping the hair
strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product)
proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one
re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals.
It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost
during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see
the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into
the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up,
leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural
fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for
centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a
tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all
other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean
and non-greasy
Keratin protein More In depth:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like
the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed
animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and
is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this
in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to
have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair
with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means
that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough
to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will
strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep
conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using
penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for
the keratin your hair has (or has lost due to chemical processing).
This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in
hair products.

If you use a lye relaxer you need conditioners that are a balance of moisture and protein. That is where the myth of moisture only came from, the whole box relaxer usage. If you are using no lye, you need more moisture than a lye relaxer user.

Moisture and Protein balance isn't about swinging to each extreme. You
shouldn't try to go from super mushy to super hard. It’s too much
stress on the hair and that is what causes weak spots, split ends,
thinning and breakage. Moisture swells the hair strand. I know everyone
is moisture happy but if you are moisturizing daily, deep conditioning
with moisture at every wash for an hour, and co-washing with moisture
every 2 days, you are doing too much. All you are doing is stretching
out your hair and setting yourself up for breakage and thinning. If
your hair doesn't have enough protein, it won't hold any moisture. If
you keep on having to buy more and more moisture products looking for
higher and higher levels of moisture, you need protein.

Also if your hair is stretched
beyond repair, protein can only do so much. Staying consistent with
reconstructors helps prevent too much natural protein loss over time
(weathering of the cuticle). By definition, reconstructors and
straight protein treatments fill in the cracks of the hair shaft that
occur from protein loss (which then incites moisture loss)
. So if
your hair is stretched 50x its natural threshold, you can try to repair
it over time but if it still doesn't resolve all of the issue, don't go
back to the excessive moisture treatments. It'll just be time for a
trim.

The wheat and silk proteins
attract and help retain moisture as well as strengthen and Keratin,
reconstructors and the others build.

jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 15th April 2010, 6:16 pm

you consider doing two strand flat twist. i find they hold better than flat twist and are a nice substitution for cornrows. here's the yt video i watched that taught me how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB5jwFbPPAs

hopes this helps
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 15th April 2010, 11:49 pm

@jc- thanks for the awesome protein info!!!

@np- I've tried flat twists and they work until I get to the top and then it won't stay. But the video was a little more helpful. I guess I just have to be a little more patient.

Also is it weird that I don't get much shrinkage and for some reason I want it?? lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 16th April 2010, 12:00 am

u did a good job for ur flat twist to be the first time! better than what i attempt. i pretty much grab the roots n give up! Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Icon_neutral

as far as gettin bored w/ur wng i can totally relate. i had to give the headbands a rest cuz i was relyin on them too much which tore my edges up. the coils helped me out alot and practice definitely made perfect. just keep tryin at it and you'll get better n better. i still havent perfected my twist and i honestly dont plan to cuz however they come out is how i'll wear em!

i seen this lady today with 2 strands n her hair was about ur length, they looked cute but i could tell that i for one wouldnt have the patience cuz they were small and perfectly parted.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 16th April 2010, 12:10 am

Nubie- yeah I don't have the time or patience for little perfect ones lol. I want to try coils but everyone I see with them has them so small. I'm thinking about trying a part to switch things up some and give the headbands a break. I'm just afraid because I feel like the front of my hair is starting to straighten out which is no fun and part of the reason I keep slicking it back which is the problem lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 16th April 2010, 2:44 am

Yeah I feel you on that. For the longest time I did WnG and was too scared to try anything else. One because I dont have the time, and two the end results were not what I was looking for. Even though I have Kinky-Twist in my hair now I plan on getting more stuff for styling. And practice styling my own hair, for when I get home for good. A girl (Hispanic) that I work with had her hair with a cornrow braid in the front of her hair going across, and it looked adorable. If you have the patience for two cornrows going from one side to the next like your own hair headband it will be cut and different.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 16th April 2010, 1:36 pm

Msstokes, is your hair long enough to cornrow? Maybe you can try the braided headband. That's a really cute style. Check out the awkward twa phase discussion for some ideas...if you haven't already.

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 19th April 2010, 3:35 pm

Hey lady, how did your henna turn out?

LaToya28

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 3:43 pm

mstokes2008 wrote:Nubie- yeah I don't have the time or patience for little perfect ones lol. I want to try coils but everyone I see with them has them so small. I'm thinking about trying a part to switch things up some and give the headbands a break. I'm just afraid because I feel like the front of my hair is starting to straighten out which is no fun and part of the reason I keep slicking it back which is the problem lol

I want to try coils also but they are so intimidating. I would hate to get them halfway done only to realize I don't like them or worse, my hair starts to loc up and creates a mess to detangle.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th April 2010, 3:49 pm

Have you tried a rollerset? That may help switch up the styling a bit.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 20th April 2010, 2:39 am

ktoliver5303 wrote:Yeah I feel you on that. For the longest time I did WnG and was too scared to try anything else. One because I dont have the time, and two the end results were not what I was looking for. Even though I have Kinky-Twist in my hair now I plan on getting more stuff for styling. And practice styling my own hair, for when I get home for good. A girl (Hispanic) that I work with had her hair with a cornrow braid in the front of her hair going across, and it looked adorable. If you have the patience for two cornrows going from one side to the next like your own hair headband it will be cut and different.

LaToya28 wrote:Msstokes, is your hair long enough to cornrow? Maybe you can try the braided headband. That's a really cute style. Check out the awkward twa phase discussion for some ideas...if you haven't already.

I use to do that when I was relaxed, it was really cute. For some reason when I get to the crown, whether I'm twisting or cornrowing it comes undone. That section of my hair is shorter and a different texture, so for now I'm just going to let it all do as it pleases lol

LaToya28 wrote:Hey lady, how did your henna turn out?

I liked the results. The color is mainly in the front but that's always been the lightest part of my hair. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow. My internet has been bugging out for some reason.

tiashauntee wrote:
mstokes2008 wrote:Nubie- yeah I don't have the time or patience for little perfect ones lol. I want to try coils but everyone I see with them has them so small. I'm thinking about trying a part to switch things up some and give the headbands a break. I'm just afraid because I feel like the front of my hair is starting to straighten out which is no fun and part of the reason I keep slicking it back which is the problem lol

I want to try coils also but they are so intimidating. I would hate to get them halfway done only to realize I don't like them or worse, my hair starts to loc up and creates a mess to detangle.

lol yeah that's part of what I'm afraid of. I'm thinking about just letting my friend do it. Her TWA is always really cute with different twist styles so maybe she can hook something up for me.

sweetdrk1 wrote:Have you tried a rollerset? That may help switch up the styling a bit.

No I haven't tried much of anything lol. School is keeping me busy. But even when I was relaxed I never really had the patience for rollersets so they never turned out to well lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 20th April 2010, 9:00 am

giiiiiirl good luck on a rollerset! im wit u, i couldnt master the art of a rollerset which is why i always PAID to get em done! i do want to attempt again now but i dont have the patience for them to NOT turn out right after i slaved over some rollers! Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 20th April 2010, 12:21 pm

@Nubie- I know! Idk if I can deal with it lol. I am seriously contemplating putting kinky twists back in my hair for part of the summer. I think it would seriously aid in this growth challenge. But I want my hair to enjoy the weather during it's first summer lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th April 2010, 12:46 pm

Hey, just checking in on you.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 20th April 2010, 3:47 pm

Hey Sweetdrk! Thanks for checking in on me!!

Man these past few days have been tough! I feel like crud and I've got projects and tons of stuff to do. Next week is the last week of classes before finals. I've got two projects to finish, finals to study for, an apartment to get packed up and cleaned and I don't feel good. And the MIss Jessie's Celebration is on Sunday! What to do what to do!?!?!? And on top of that my internet is acting like it hates me! Not the business, so for now, i'm going to curl up in the bed with a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, my teddy and hours of Hannah Montana!! Smile
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next