CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Transition w/Pixie Cut

+11
JRoshelle
LadyMika
Offandrunning
mrsmackey
3rdTimeAround
Alicia
EagerCurler
Russianjoy
BlondeByDesire
Ameenah
Sunshyne
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Transition w/Pixie Cut Empty New Transition w/Pixie Cut

Post by Sunshyne 10th February 2010, 5:02 pm

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have finally decided to give up on this "Creamy Crack" and embrace the REAL me. Problem is, I have a short hair cut right now and I am not exactly sure how I am going to transition w/o going to work looking crazy. I know I can do braids, sew-ins (which I don't take too well), but are there any other hairstyles? I've learned it is not good to straighten it so what can I do?
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

New Transition w/Pixie Cut Empty Re: New Transition w/Pixie Cut

Post by Ameenah 10th February 2010, 7:18 pm

Hello Sunshyne I have been transitioning now for a year and there are many different things you can do to your hair you just have to take time and try it out. braid outs or twist outs are ok but because of your hairstyle I am not sure what would actually work. But don't give up on this process I love it and hopefully you will come to love it to
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 11th February 2010, 9:38 am

Good luck with your journey. I think you are in a better position since your hair is already short - you can gradually cut away the relaxed ends as you move forward.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Russianjoy 11th February 2010, 2:37 pm

Hi BlondeByDesire- I see that you're just days away from your BC. Good Luck! I hope you post some pics of that big day!

Russianjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshyne 12th February 2010, 8:39 am

Thank you for the suggestions ladies!
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by EagerCurler 13th February 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi Sunshyne!!!

Welcome...I believe we are in the same stage. I have a short pixie cut as well. I know me personally my hair grows faster when it isn't being manipulated and left alone.

One style u can try on ur pixie cut is bantu knots. It looks cool on the short hair because ur hair in the top middle of ur head is heavier than the sides... Cool effect since braid outs and twist outs dont work on short hair cuz it isnt long enough.

Well I hope this helps...maybe we can be transitioning partners...??

Good luck on ur journey
EagerCurler
EagerCurler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshyne 14th February 2010, 12:48 am

Great! Sure we can be transition partners! I know I'm going to get frustrated once I hit that time for a touch up...but I'm going to need help! Thanks and good luck to you!
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia 14th February 2010, 10:39 pm

Hi EagerCurler & Sunshyne my hair is also short. My last touch-up was December 4th and the back and sides of my hair are natural, but the top still has the perm. My hair is Halle Berry short and I figured the transition would be easier with it being this short. I don't plan on doing the BC just yet so I am going to just let it grow. I did get a hair cut last week and she chopped off quite a bit (the same short style). But today I am totally frustrated and not sure what to do with my hair since I now have two types of hair texture going on, so I have it tied down hoping I won't look too crazy going to work tomorrow. Good luck on your journey.
Alicia
Alicia

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdTimeAround 15th February 2010, 12:27 pm

To EagerCurler, Sunshyne and Alicia - I'm thinking that it is really hard to transition (in the traditional sense) for those of us starting with shorter relaxed hair.

I had an asymetrical bob and it is has been not quite 3.5 months and I've been fighting the BC all weekend. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. It is really hard to style my hair without using heat...Add to it that the shaved part of my hair is full on curly and my roots are so think and puffy that I can even finger comb them when dry.

I've gone back and forth considering braids and wigs but they just aren't me. So far my twist outs have been lacking.

How long are you ladies aiming to transition for? I was hoping for June but will be shocked if I make it past March.
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia 15th February 2010, 3:58 pm

Hi 3rdtimeareound,
I thought it would be easier to transition with shorter hair, but like you I am having a hard time styling my hair. I work in corporate america and I am trying not to get those looks like "what is wrong with your hair". I am trying to keep the heat out of my hair which is making it really hard and because it is too short I can't do the pony tail thing. And like you I don't want to do braids, wigs, etc. I have not tried the twist out because I don't know what I am doing. Today I have a head band on, but my edges are sticking out, tried slicking them down but they popped back up. I don't want to do the BC just yet cause I am afraid I will look like a boy. I started my transition back in November and I am hoping to go at least a year before I cut what is left of the perm. This morning I had a moment when I said ok I am going to get a touch up but that quickly left my mind. I am on the journey till the end.
Alicia
Alicia

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 15th February 2010, 5:16 pm

Hi ladies!!! As you can see, I'm in the same boat as you guys! Today, I washed and let my hair air dry but seriously, I HAD to flat iron the relaxed part because it was a mess!!!! I wonder can you do bantu knots on dry hair??! I just don't have the time to wash my hair AGAIN! i'm hoping to transition for a year..I was fighting the BC this weekend but I held strong....i need a drink!!! LOL
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshyne 15th February 2010, 5:19 pm

I am thinking about doing the BC in May, I am going to have a head full of new growth by then...I am going to get kinky twists today, this short hair/transition thing is a bit more difficult than it sounds. My hair apparently grows fast with me just starting in January, I already have waves...these kinky twists are going to be my life saver. As a educator, I'm trying not to go to work looking crazy, and you know there are only so many braided styles you can do before looking like one of the kids. I'm going to make it though!
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 15th February 2010, 11:05 pm

Oh my goodness, this is so my journey....ive been transitioning since oct but its a struggle. I washed my hair tonite and did two stand twist on the perm part and put it on rollers.....the back and sides are natural, but dont have any real curl to them, im so disappointed. My sister tells me i just need to BC and move on but i can bring myself to do it,,,,i would have a twa which i dont want....but trying to style my hair is proving to be impossible...im so sad. I want curls, my sister who has locks was like your hair may never curl (hers never curled she said when she was growing it out for her locks) , Im like WTH...i dont want a dry looking fro...i want curls.....if not i will put a perm back in my hair, i cant deal with a fro or locks or any of that....i know im ranting, sorry

Offandrunning

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdTimeAround 16th February 2010, 12:34 am

Offandrunning - feel free to rant

My husband got back from Mardi Gras today and I told him how close I was to BCing. He said he saw several naturals and why don't I just cut off the permed hair. He seems cool with the idea of a twa. I think I can be cool with it. Afterall it will grow out at some point, right?
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshyne 16th February 2010, 4:29 am

That is true 3rdTime! From what I've read, once you cut of your permed ends, I believe your hair starts to grow a bit more rapidly...or at least it seems that way.

Good luck if you decide to BC. Your husband is a good man for supporting you in your journey!
Sunshyne
Sunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 16th February 2010, 11:43 am

HEY LADIES! i'm gonna take a pic when I get home to show you what I've done with my hair today..I did a rollerset with all size curlers, finger combed it this am and rocked a headband with a feather..I've been getting compliments all day:)

One day down, 364 more to go! LOL
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 16th February 2010, 12:08 pm

I transitioned with a pixie cut--and to tell you the truth, I didn't go about my transition in the best way because I was totally uninformed. All I did was co-wash, moisturize and flat iron. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But, of course I discovered YouTube and I got my isht together. LOL But, the process would be no different than if you had evenly cut hair: hair moisturized, deep conditioned, and clean. Protective styles will definitely be your friend, since they'll blend the two different textures until you're ready to chop. (I recommend yarn braids--they look like locs, and you can add ANY color you want. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Good luck!
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia 16th February 2010, 3:38 pm

Hi Ladies,
Last night I decided to try the twistout and it actually looks nice today, I have gotten several compliments. I think this will be my style until it grows out. Last night I did the twistout on the top of my hair and after I pinned them down I spritz some water mixed with mixed chicks leave in conditioner on them and also on the sides and back. Mixed chicks leave in conditioner works really good for me as far as the curl definition on the back and sides. This morning I was a little nervous about the outcome but after I took them down and spritz the sides and back I actually liked the look. Good luck ladies and hang in there we can do this!
Alicia
Alicia

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdTimeAround 16th February 2010, 3:51 pm

Alicia wrote:Hi Ladies,
Last night I decided to try the twistout and it actually looks nice today, I have gotten several compliments. I think this will be my style until it grows out. Last night I did the twistout on the top of my hair and after I pinned them down I spritz some water mixed with mixed chicks leave in conditioner on them and also on the sides and back. Mixed chicks leave in conditioner works really good for me as far as the curl definition on the back and sides. This morning I was a little nervous about the outcome but after I took them down and spritz the sides and back I actually liked the look. Good luck ladies and hang in there we can do this!

please post some pics!
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 16th February 2010, 10:01 pm

im never sure what to do with the back, with it being all natural...we will see . I work from home, so i still have the rollers in my hair from my two stand twist. I am going to see Tyler Perry's play this weekend, so i will have to take it down, and work with the back, I will let yall know how it goes.

Offandrunning

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia 17th February 2010, 7:18 pm

Ladies,
What products do you use in your hair? I am reading about so many different products and I am trying not to overload on the products. Also, can someone tell me how to post pics? Thanks
Alicia
Alicia

Back to top Go down

Post by EagerCurler 18th February 2010, 12:00 am

Okkkkk I have missed sooooo much!!!! To all my shorties (lol) transitioning...this is a struggle!! I haven't found a transitioning style yet...I want to just throw weave in it because it had made my hair grow extremely fast before. I have tried bantu knots in my hair...its actually pretty cool. I have to pin down the sides so it kinda looks like a curly mohawk...

I want to BC sooooo bad but I think my face is wayyyyy too fat! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
But I also know when u take off the weight of ur relaxed ends your hair grows like weeds!

@Alicia... I have been using different things but I dont know how my natural hair reacts to everything yet...

I use Giovanni Tea tree triple treat shampoo, Giovanni 50-50 Hydrating and Calming Conditioner, I havent found a leave in conditioner sometimes I just use Suave naturals Coconut Conditioner for leave in. For moisture I use garnier Frutiis Sleek N Shine Leave in and seal with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I haven't attemptd to explore products until I have a good amount of natural hair.
EagerCurler
EagerCurler

Back to top Go down

Post by EagerCurler 18th February 2010, 12:03 am

Oh N I think im shooting for the BC in July or August...

Last perm was early december '09
EagerCurler
EagerCurler

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdTimeAround 20th February 2010, 3:37 pm

The last two weeks I'd been using a hot curler on only the relaxed portions of my hair - I figured that since I'm going to cut that part off eventually no harm if I damage it. I do not flat iron the new growth. I've been using Silk Elements Mega Silk as a protectant. I think that it has the okay kind of silicones in it.

Today I washed with Mixed Chicks shampoo and deep conditioned with the Mixed Chicks DC (really like that product). I sat under the drier w/ the conditioner for probably 20 minutes and then slept with a bag on my head. This morning I rinsed it out and used Organix Shea Butter conditioner as a leave in. Then I roller set my hair. I'll post a pic when I take it down.

@Alicia here are the instructions on how to post a pic http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/how-to-post-a-picture-t310.htm
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Post by JRoshelle 20th February 2010, 10:26 pm

I know this might not be the best way to transition with a pixi cut, but the first time I went natural i had a pixi cut and I knew I was going to get micros then do the bc but i needed some length in the back before i could get braided, so I went and got a quick weave. I left it in for about a month, took it down had my hair dresser dc and got another one. I had braids for about 2 months (I dont have problems with breaking) then Finally did my bc. I ended up with about 6-7 inches of hair. I didnt mind the quick weave because the hair that had the gel & glue was going to get cut off any how. and you coule get a quick weave with natural looking hair to help you get use to styling it. Just a thought
JRoshelle
JRoshelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next