CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki?

+38
tressedforsuccess
Miss BL
Eisani
DSTraction10
Deva_87
LearninToLove
newfoundbeauty
carmesha102
MzLaLaRochelle
LilyFlower8604
NaturalNubie
Preezie
Muz
naturallyu
Tamren
Ekaette
diamondcurls
vonda4b
jessie85
vani
KeishaMac
My Hair Fetish
mrsrenaissance
Iomer
nada101
lacesonia
FierceNerd
DanyelleLoves
Jonezy
South Loop Social Light
naturalnubian13
d.denise
CocoEuro
BlondeByDesire
nmoultry
cutephantasm
bevyboo628
herlucidsKy
42 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki? Empty Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki?

Post by herlucidsKy 24th October 2009, 11:32 am

I know there are a few long term transitioners out there, I just don't see much of them. Lets share some of our experiences...
1. How long have you been transitioning?.
2. Tell us some of your experiences the good, the bad and the ugly.
3. Do you ever plan on doing the BC or not?
4. Do you have a fotki?

I have been transitioning for 15 months now. July 2008 was my last and final relaxer. I'm gonna hang on to these relaxed ends for a loooong time. I will just grow out my relaxed ends, so no BC for me, well....maybe not until I feel comfortable with the length of my new growth. I want my new growth to grow as long as it can which means i'll be transitioning for many years lol.

Brief history. I use to relax my hair only once a yr for a few years so transitioning isn't new for me at all. But during those times I knew nothing about hair and had no clue that what i was doing was called transitioning, I was so clueless. My research on healthy hair care started december 2008 and I became serious about it during spring/09.

Transitioning can be quite daunting at times but with the right techniques, patience, determination, research and with the help of the "right" products I've been doing ok most of the times. It can be a lot of fun at times, especially when trying a new product! Finding the right products is major. Aubrey organics white camellia smoothing conditioner, aubrey organics GPB conditioner, shea butter, qhemet biologics amla & olive oil heavy cream, Wild Growth Oil and other oils are my holy grail products that my transitioning hair really loves!

The negatives- I never look forward to washing my hair since my hair is thick, i'm lazy when it comes to my hair and especially since it can be sooo very annoying at times dealing with the 2 different textures, and shedding omg!, it scares me! Without my camellia conditioner my hair is doomed! due to tangles btw the 2 textures. If I use other conditioners it takes forever to detangle because not many conditioners have as much slip as the camellia conditioner in my opinion. There has been so many times when I've pulled a lot of hair out while detangling due to frustration when not using my fave conditioner.

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/[i]

Last edited by sKy on 19th December 2009, 6:46 am; edited 6 times in total
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki? Empty Transition

Post by bevyboo628 24th October 2009, 12:03 pm

My hair 1 year into the transition [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My hair 8 months into transition

I have been transitioning since September 2008 and like you it hasn't been the easiest thing dealing with the thickness. However, since I too have become a produc tjunkie I have found great products that make detangling take less time then when my hair was completely relaxed. I mostly love to use Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and Suave Humectant conditioners. Mixed chicks deep conditioner was also really good for me. I tried Deva's One condition and it did not work at all on my hair. (kinda glad cuz that stuff is a bit pricey) I have recently started untangling with my fingers instead of with a comb and it has been going pretty good so far. The Denman brush is also heaven sent for detangling. I have done 2 "mini chops" throughout my transition. One was in August and the last was just this month. I hope to finish cutting off my relaxed ends in April when it will be a year and a half since my last relaxer. The back part of my hair is pretty much all natural. I am just having trouble getting the front to grow as much as the back. That and making sure I am patient & not just chopping it off are the biggest challenges.

I'd say my hair is combined 3b & 3c but then again maybe i'm wrong its hard to figure out for me..

Last edited by bevyboo628 on 11th February 2010, 6:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki? Empty Re: Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki?

Post by cutephantasm 24th October 2009, 2:41 pm

Since I discovered the lace front wig, thats it for me! I am 100% natural but I still wear it from time to time as a protective style...weaves and braids were just too harsh on the edges! An added bonus is on days you want to wear your natural hair, u just take the wig off!

It helps that the hair store by my house sells synthetic lace fronts for like $40 and up! You braid/twist/whatever your hair underneath and basically just leave it alone! If you get a good enough lace front, nobody can even tell its not your hair....and I read somewhere that you can put rods/straws whatever in the wigs and steam it (if its synthetic) to achieve virtually ANY curl pattern...im going to try that out

Btw the front of my hair breaks really easy and grows very slowly too. Lace fronts have helped (i never glue/tape it down, just sometimes put safety pins for added security)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki? Empty Re: Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki?

Post by nmoultry 25th October 2009, 12:37 am

I had every intention on being a long term transitioner until I got totally annoyed with the two textures. My last perm was July 2008. I would go to my stylist bi-weekly and let her flat iron my hair, I was getting trims every 8 weeks thinking that would help with the two textures. It only annoyed me so I started doing my research. I found Curly Nikki site, Fotki, and started watching some YouTube videos. I big chopped in July 2009 because I was tired of dealing with the two textures- natural roots and permed ends. I miss my length and my ponytail but I know it will come back sooner or later

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 25th October 2009, 10:28 am

Hi, I'm a long term transitioner. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary - Oct. 31. So it's been pretty easy - I keep my hair bunned 99% of the time. I get a little frustrated dealing with the two textures on wash day at times. I wash and dc once a week (Sunday) and co-wash once a week. I use sulfate free poo's now. My goal is to make my 1 year mark and trying to go at least to 18 mths. But once I reach the one year mark - anything goes. I'm trying to hold out for as long as I can. Buns are a lifesaver for me.

http://public.fotki.com/Mar-Bel/
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Any long term transitioners? No BC? fotki? Empty 12th month into transition

Post by CocoEuro 25th October 2009, 12:30 pm

My last relaxer was in September 2008! Wasn't planning on transitioning. I moved to Germany in October 2008, thinking I was going to find a hair stylist and continue with relaxer touch-ups. Once I got here, I inquired about sylists that will do African American hair, I got no results! So I decided well here is a great opportunity to go natural, I've been dying to do this since 2001!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 25th October 2009, 6:41 pm

i was/am a long term too. My last relaxer was Jan 08 so I am 1 year and nine months natural. But I have been getting presses and I wore sew-ins for about 7 months (taking them out for about a week to condition my hair) which kept me from touching my hair while there were two textures. I think that's cheating? lol But not being able to condition frequently damaged my ends pretty badly and I ended up cutting about an inch or so after I took my last sew-in out in Feb 09. But regular trims (even if you don't necessarily have split ends) and not touching your hair will help you get through the 2-texture period without sacrificing length. I don't have a fotki or anything but I'll try to find some pics of me during different stages. It wont be very interesting though because its mostly sew-ins and presses. Which I did at the beauty shop. Just recently started washing and styling my own hair (woohoo!)
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnubian13 26th October 2009, 1:45 pm

I am a long term transitioner as well. November will mark my 14th month (last relaxer Sept. 2008). In the beginning I never intended on going natural. Luckily I had a stylist who refused to give relaxers unless they were absolutely necessary. Once I realized i could go 10-12 weeks with out a relaxer I decided to see how long I could go before my hair started looking raggety. SO for the first 9 months I was actually flat ironing my hair regularly. When summer started, I began to wear braid outs....which pretty much is my staple hair style. I mean....if it aint broke dont fix it right. I will say that at month 11, i decided to do a mini BC and cut off 3 inches. My original goals was to chop the rest off before new years, but we'll see. I might freak out, to see my hair that short.
naturalnubian13
naturalnubian13

Back to top Go down

Post by South Loop Social Light 28th October 2009, 6:58 pm

I'm 5 months into my transition and hoping to go as long as I can. I really love my natural texture of hair, but the relaxed ends aren't all bad. I definitely can tell that I need a trim (it's been 5 months) and the fall/winter weather is starting to make my hair spazz out. I think I need to change up my conditioning routine. Sometimes I get tired of the maintenance that my natural hair requires but I just remind myself that relaxed hair wasn't a walk in the park. In the next few months I may try out a sew-in to give myself a break from having to do anything... but I'm not sure yet. Until then, I'm on the search for new products to try!!!
South Loop Social Light
South Loop Social Light

http://www.ishea.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 28th October 2009, 8:34 pm

I was a long term transitioner Oct. 2006-Nov 2007, I clipped my hair and inch or two every month (May 2007, I had it cut professionally to mid neck to speed up the process a bit) until all of the relaxed ends were gone eventually.

I wore my hair straight, using low heat or as little as possible, for the majority of my transition--it bunned it for work daily, when I arrived home I would remove the band and clip it up.

If it wasn't straight a did a braid out to blend the textures and wore puffs.

I don't know how helpful my fotki is, I haven't updated in a long time, but here's a link http://public.fotki.com/ameme/

Last edited by Jonezy on 28th October 2009, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos typos typos :))
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 30th October 2009, 11:57 pm

I'm a lonng term-er. It's been 7 mos so far and i plan to BC in the spring (to avoid freezing my head off [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Don't have a fotki yet, or even a recent pic of my new growth...Experiences...hmmm...the worst would include any time I have recently tried to wash my hair. On the occassion I shampoo there are terrible knots. Good: realizing how amazing co-washing is and how I absolutely love the smell of HE HH!! OH and I am really enjoying the feel of my new growth. Looking at my baby pix I never would have imagined my hair would be wavy/coily and SOFT without a relaxer.

Last edited by DanyelleLoves on 31st October 2009, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot signature and added something to last sentence)
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

http://smartmouthme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceNerd 2nd November 2009, 5:34 pm

I am a long term transitioner with intentions of the BC in Jan. I actually love transitioning now that I have gotten the hang of it! Twistouts(bantu knot outs) are basically my staple style since I decided that I will not apply heat to my hair for the rest of my transition. I found out that my hair loves shea butter and oils so that helps cut down on buying products! My fotki is in my signature feel free peek through!
FierceNerd
FierceNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by lacesonia 6th November 2009, 10:54 am

I'm a longterm transitioner. Been transitioning since July 08 and I have no plans to do the Final BC. I may consider doing it July 10 but I doubt it. I want the front to grow out more. The back is all natural due to minichops amd in the meantime I'm having a blast playing with that section.
lacesonia
lacesonia

Back to top Go down

Post by nada101 11th November 2009, 4:46 am

1. I have currently been transitioning for 19 months. My last relaxer was March 2008.

2. Overall I would say that my experience with transitioning has been good. Sure there has been many difficult times dealing with my hair but I wouldnt trade it for anything. I am loving this process. I found that around month 6 it got pretty difficult but as I continued to research techniques to help me manage the two textures it has become much easier.

3. I do plan on doing the BC. I am almost certain that I will do it at the two year mark which is in March 2010. It's only a few months away. I am excited but nervous at the same time.

4. I do have a fotki page.
http://members.fotki.com/nada101/about/

nada101

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 11th November 2009, 5:49 am

1. I have been transitioning for 15 weeks. My last relaxer was July 18.

2. So far so good. I think the fact that I am actually taking care of my hair and discovering all these new styles, products, methods, etc. has made it good for me. I have had a problem with my PJ and my budget, though. lol I don't know how I lived before without the knowledge of the BnC and TnC. They are so easy and I've probably wasted hours sitting at the hairdresser's when I could have gotten the same results and better on my own.

3. I have considered it many times, especially after buying shears, but I don't think I have the head or face for it. I am considering BCing on New Year's Eve, but I'm not sure if I will have enough growth to be comfortable with cutting alot off. I am leaning towards not BCing, though, and just trimming periodically. Who knows?

4. Do you have a fotki? Yes. my username is pwatem.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 13th November 2009, 12:52 am

1. Last relaxer was April 1st
2. So far not too bad, but I did have one very traumatic experience w/some new products (chi). My hair got so tangled & matted I had to cut a knot out (in front [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I seriously almost cried. Goes to show not everything works for everybody. Since then I condition alot more but am still searching for what works for my hair.
3. No BC for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
4. No fotki, maybe someday [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 13th November 2009, 3:53 pm

I am a long term Transitioner my last relaxer was on Oct 20th 08... I am 12 Months into my transition and I love what i am seeing.... I have Fotki http://public.fotki.com/MyHairFetish/ but im not great at it... I also made a few youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/baby22phat. I have been looking for other long term Transitioners for a while now. I need a BUDDY....Nita
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

http://public.fotki.com/MyHairFetish/

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 14th November 2009, 1:51 am

I totally agree with Danyelle about the smell of HEHH and the detangling! I just want to say THANK YOU to all of the ladies on here and naturallycurly.com, because I don't know where I would be without you guys! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am 8 months in, but I plan to be a long term transitioner, because I can't see myself with short hair yet! I plan to go between 1 year to 18 months depending on how much I can take of the two textures. My hair has never felt softer and it is a long stretch from what my hair felt like three weeks ago. I cowash about twice a week with cholesterol and HEHH, seal my ends with olive oil and then follow up with the Deva Set-It-Free leave in. I haven't tried the Deva One condish, but maybe I will, maybe I won't. It's most def official, I am a PJ! But I love my hair and can't dream of why I would ever go back! THANKS AGAIN GIRLS! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by vani 4th December 2009, 10:22 pm

Hello Everyone

I am new to the site, I am 3 months into my transition, and so far no problems. I finally decided to commit to going 100% natural, before I was getting my hair flat ironed. I plan on being a long term transitioner, like many of the ladies before me I can't see myself with short hair seeing as though I have had long hair all my life. Well I hope everyone who decides to long term transition is successful at it, and thanks to this support community because I would be sooooo lost.
vani
vani

Back to top Go down

Post by jessie85 7th December 2009, 3:54 pm

Hi Everyone
1. How long have you been transitioning?. 8 Months

2. Tell us some of your experiences the good, the bad and the ugly. well, I have had breakage at the ends because the NGrowth is taking over. I have to pre poo with a great conditioner (Design Essentials) or whatever is really good. Then i rinse that out and wash it out. At that point my hair is manageable. I usually wash and style as I desire. My hair is so hard to deal with at times. It requires me to be well rested and I have been very busy at times that I've often gone out looking a partial mess but thankfully have been able to play it off with a headband and make up. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3. Do you ever plan on doing the BC or not? No NEVER. Not until at least my hair is just as long if not longer than my usual length. I'd like my new growth at least to the tip of my shoulder before i think about ever doing that.

4. Do you have a fotki? No

jessie85

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 7th December 2009, 4:30 pm

1. How long have you been transitioning?
I have been transitioning now for 8 months as well.

Wow. My major issue is the tangling of the relaxed hair and my Ngrowth. It has been such a chore that I just go see my natural stylist for a protective style. When trying to do my own hair I end up w/a whole lot of hair goin down the drain. Now for the good. I really like that w/my hair type my styles hold for at least 2-3 weeks

No. I too would rather have my Ngrowth to my shoulders before I cut the relaxer. So I plan on being a very long transitioner.

4. Do you have a fotki? No. Not sure what that is or what it's for. I think it's to post pics of my progress?
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by diamondcurls 14th December 2009, 12:07 am

Hi everyone! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am new to this borad and brand new to going natural. I decided to take this journey mainly upon urging of my son who wears locs and looks great as well as just seeing all of the gorgeous heads of hair coming out of the salon my son goes to. Everyone's hair looked so amazing and I want to see what my hair is REALLY all about.

How long have you been transitioning?

My last relaxer was approximately 10 weeks ago (end of September).

What I've learned so far (and knew from the relaxers) that my hair LOVES moisture. If I am going to survive this process, moisture is going to be the key to my success.

I do not plan on doing the BC. I really don't think my face supports short hair well at all.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] However, I am told that it does but I don't have the confidence to pull it off. So, until my natural hair gets to a length that I am comfortable with, there will be no BC on MMC (mini microscopic chops) to slowly remove my relaxed ends.

4. Do you have a fotki?

I have heard about fotkis but I really don't know how to go about getting one started. So, no, I don't have one. Should I get one?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
diamondcurls
diamondcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 16th December 2009, 1:26 am

Hi all I'm in
1. How long have you been transitioning?
54 weeks. 1 year 2 weeks
Buns are my staple and braids are my go to style when I get sick of handling my hair. Even when I have my hair in braids they're usually in a bun. I'm trying to get better with styling but the difference between my roots and my ends are so ridiculous it's hard to find styles that camouflage
I plan on going a minimum of 18 months. I hope to make it to 2 years but I may break and BC earlier.
4. Do you have a fotki?
http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 16th December 2009, 5:55 am

1. How long have you been transitioning?. Since June 2008, which makes it 18 months from the 10th of December cheers
2. Tell us some of your experiences the good, the bad and the ugly. The good part is I got a "touchup" instead of a full relaxer, and my hair was short when I started. Protective styles are my friend!! Headbands and Buns saves the day when I don't have time to do my hair. The bad? the shedding in the beginning, the really bad hair days and not having ANY knowledge about hair products and how to care for both textures. I would flat iron to keep the textures uniform (big mistake as you all would know!) And the ugly? I went to sleep without a satin bonnet..boy when I woke up..afro
3. Do you ever plan on doing the BC or not? I don't know yet, but since 90% of my hair is natural, it's time to let the rest of the ends go.
4. Do you have a fotki? I JUST made one yesterday Laughing
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 16th December 2009, 10:28 am

1. I have been transitioning for 10 months
2. Good: Learning new styles Bad: Detangling after each wash (but this has gotten a lot better by washing my hair in sections rather than leaving all of my hair down)
3. I do not plan on doing the BC. I plan to incorporate trimming sessions into my transition.
4. Yes, I do have a fotki. I try to update on a regular basis: http://public.fotki.com/NaturallyU/ [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next