CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what they dont tell you

+23
SheeTacular
Ziggs
BlondeByDesire
BrownSkinDiva
NubieNatty
Juices-n-Berries
lena73
hyspin
ladybug
cococurly
ChrsLvsBks
kinky-coily1107
HappigocurliJenn
krenea
Lynnieluve
sweetdrk1
HumanNature
MsLizziA
AfrikanLatina
traveljunkie08
NylaCoils
tiashaunteƩ
jzycaramel
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

what they dont tell you - Page 2 Empty Re: what they dont tell you

Post by jzycaramel 3rd January 2010, 11:27 pm

@ cococurly i think i'm getting better. i went to church today sporting my new do proudly. and i was shocked at the reception. everyone was very complimentary. i think i'm ready for what tomorrow will bring.

@ ChrsLvsBks i do have self esteem issues. i have carried them for sometime and i think this new change probably resurfaced what i thought i addressed and moved on from. but i'm falling in love with my hair do. the initial shock of it all is wearing off.
jzycaramel
jzycaramel

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 3rd January 2010, 11:31 pm

Hi Jzyarmel, I understand how you feel. I BCed in November 2009, and I felt scared to go to work because I was afraid of what others would say. It's funny because I had a natural afro for 10 years. About four years ago, I wanted a change and permed my hair. I had extensions and I had my hair hightlighted, but my natural hair was breaking off. So I decided to go natural again because at least my natural hair was healthy.

It's funny how you get hooked on the extensions and chemicals knowing that your hair is not healthy. Anyway, I took the plunge and did the BC. I got scared and bought a wig, but I didn't want to get hooked on wearing a wig either, so I just did as the ladies have been saying and got some big ear rings and made sure that I wore make up. After the first couple of days, you will be fine. Now it'be been almost three months and I love the freedom of having natural hair. Enjoy your hair while it's short.
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

what they dont tell you - Page 2 Empty Congrats

Post by hyspin 4th January 2010, 12:10 am

jzycaramel wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

me now

You have a beautiful face. I congratulate you for taking the Big Chop. I didn't want to deal with that so I wore weave through the transition until it was all my natural hair. I don't know how long it really took because I wore weaves and extensions way passed the transition was done.

But you do look beautiful. I think you are worrying about nothing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hyspin
hyspin

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 4th January 2010, 12:20 am

@jzycaramel - your BC looks great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
i am jockin' ur cheekbones tho...
but sis, you look great like all of the other ladies said.
hit up charlotte russe and forever21 for some earrings (my secret addiction) for cheap? and you will love ur 'do even more
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th January 2010, 12:20 am

I too felt some anxiety when I did my BC. But overtime, I know that you will grow to love it. Sometimes we tend to hide behind our hair. Be it relaxed, weaved, or even natural. To me, doing a BC helps me come to terms with myself. Without all the weight. When you look in the mirror, you finally see yourself. Just as God created you. It boosts my self esteem because I know I look good even with a small amount of hair on my head. And you do too! Work it girl!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 4th January 2010, 7:31 am

jzyc-GIRL U LOOK GOOD!! im thinking i was gonna scroll down and see a disaster! when i seen ur pic i was like **smackin teeth** is she serious! ur gorgeous, throw on some mascara n lip gloss n u straight. ur eyebrows on point and u got the big earrings down packed i see!

your gonna be so excited with your growth u wont be able to stop cheesing!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 4th January 2010, 8:43 am

jzycaramel wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

me now

Honey you are beautiful...dont feel ashamed or unattractive. The thing about going natural is that its a part of a different mindset and can lead to a different way of living. It can be an adjustment for some, but thats all natural. You have a great support system here on curly nikki cuz WE GOT YA BACK Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 4th January 2010, 8:44 am

MsLizziA wrote:Aww honey i think your over reacting. Your hair is beautiful. You will get used to it i promise. Don't feel so down on yourself because you will be surprised at how half the women on this earth wish they had our courage to cut all our hair off and start from scratch. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PREACH!!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 5th January 2010, 3:25 am

Ok jzycaramel, So how did work go today? How do you feel after going to work, was it really all that bad?
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th January 2010, 12:17 pm

How was work? I know they loved it!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 5th January 2010, 3:21 pm

I love your BC. Also you better enjoy that TWA - it won't be long before it's down your back.

Keep your head held up high ... smile

Now, what happened at work?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by jzycaramel 5th January 2010, 7:47 pm

today was the 1st day i wore my hair out. (monday i got scared and wore this fugly wig- never again) i was worked up over nothing!!! i mean it wasnt bad. :-))) the responses were so positive!!! i couldnt blv how many sistas at my job want to go natural!!! they were asking me transition questions!!! lol! like i'm an expert!!!! haha! it was flattering though!!! i feel soooooooooooo good!!! thank u to the whole entire curly nikki community!!! i am a new convert and i love my twa!!!! i cant stop cheezing!!! u gotta see my face! lol!

hotep
jzycaramel
jzycaramel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th January 2010, 7:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am so happy you are loving your hair now. I knew they would love it at work because it's cute!!! Keep on "cheesing!" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 5th January 2010, 7:53 pm

Good!! I hope you believe ALL of us (including your hubby) now. You really do look great. cheers
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 5th January 2010, 9:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggs 5th January 2010, 9:50 pm

JzyCarmel - I love happy endings! Although for you this is a whole new beginning. Congrats! on your good response at work. I guess they recognize a Diva when they see one.
Ziggs
Ziggs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2010, 10:09 pm

I started to smile when you mentioned you were cheezing. You were likely an inspiration for those wanting to transition. Refer them to the CN family. We are here to support and uplift one another, no hatin' heeerrreeee!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 6th January 2010, 4:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th January 2010, 4:52 pm

Go Jzy, Go Jzy, GO GO, Go Jzy!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Now put a picture up lol!! We need to see your lovely face every time you post!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 6th January 2010, 6:45 pm

@jzycaramel,I think you look beautiful also! I BC'd Dec 11th (almost a month ago yay) and that day I felt empowered and liberated. Until my husband saw my hair the next morning and said it felt like he as having sex with a man. That hurt me pass my heart,to think the person I needed the most support from wasn't supporting me.I looked in the mirror and thought to myself "what the hell did I do"! But between getting support from the lovely ladies on this site and my bestfriend I started loving my new look.And after I had a talk with my husband and let him know how his words hurt me and how important this was to me,he started to like my hair also. You gotta get ready for the things people say about your new look (good or bad). but also keep in mind that you did this for YOU and no one else. So stop being so hard on yourself....YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 6th January 2010, 6:48 pm

I see you like your new look.that's great! I guess I'm late on the first response lol!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 6th January 2010, 9:31 pm

Uh - you are ROCKING that FRO!!! I love it. I totally know what you mean. I had always thought my long hair was my best feature and I did wonder if by cutting it off if was getting rid of the one thing I had going for me looks-wise. But at the same time I knew I was not up for a long transition. Sitting in the chair getting it cut, my hairdresser expected me to be upset, I was the exact opposite. Even before I saw it I knew I had done the right thing. At first I had some not so positive responses - especially from people at church. They weren't mean - it was more like "oh you cut your hair" (crickets chirping). The most positive responses came from my hubby, sister and white people at work! Now, everyone has gotten used to it and it is growing like a weed, now those same people are hinting at wanting to know more about being natural or complimenting my hair now.

All I can say is - enjoy the TWA. It is going to start growing!!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by dr.neely 7th January 2010, 4:56 pm

You look beautiful and I appreciate your honesty. I am currently transitioning (last relaxer was early November/Late October) and I plan to BC in July. It's great that you reached out for support from the other "curly sistas" to help encourage you along your journey. I believe when you go to work, you will find that others will compliment and love your new look. I also agree with others on the forum that it takes courage to not hide behind your hair and to have the courage to show your true beauty. When women BC, their facial features are front and center and some women are too intimidated by society's attitude to take that leap. Unfortunately African-Americans are not accepting of the thing that sets us apart from other races and that is our natural hair texture. Please let us know how things went you return to work. You are beautiful!
dr.neely
dr.neely

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay 8th January 2010, 12:05 am

Girl !!! Your hair is beautiful! I love that cut! It says "young and sassy" Rock it!
Tay
Tay

Back to top Go down

Post by jzycaramel 9th January 2010, 2:43 pm

thanks ladies for the kind words and all of the encouragement too. i'm going to post some new pictures rocking my new do. i'm in love with my wash and go hair do and i'm ready to show it off!

thanx again!

one
jzycaramel
jzycaramel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2