CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! DONT KNOW WHT 2 DO!

4 posters

Go down

HELP! DONT KNOW WHT 2 DO! Empty HELP! DONT KNOW WHT 2 DO!

Post by LoveBird 9th December 2009, 5:22 pm

hello
so i'm new to transitioning- on my second week- i am doing my best not to put too much heat on my hair. so i washed my hair myself and blew it straight to get some length. but my problem is the texture of my hair- it looks dry, dull, & really kinky. i shampooed & conditioned w/ trader joe's tea tree tingle and then used some coconut oil before i dried it. i did the curly fro but wasnt crazy about it b/c my hair looks so dull [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . i dont think the water & HE Hydration comb helped at all. i'm trying the curly fro again hopefully it will be better this time.

what am i doing wrong [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ?
what should i be using?
waht does glycerine & water do for hair?

i was gonna buy Bio Infusions olive Oil deep conditioning, leave-in CO, & the serum.

i also have jojoba oil but havent used it yet.

any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

HELP! DONT KNOW WHT 2 DO! Empty Re: HELP! DONT KNOW WHT 2 DO!

Post by KeishaMac 9th December 2009, 11:56 pm

When I first started, my hair was incredibly dry and dull. Have you tried co-washing? I have also heard other people using henna, but I wouldn't suggest it if you are really serious about transitioning for a while. Also, I have jojoba oil and it has seemed to help.

The one thing I would say is try not to use the same products that you would if you were completely relaxed...you can try cuz your hair may be different, but my hair really loves co-washing and deep treatments followed by a leave-in. HTH! Good luck and don't give up!
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by danijohnturner 10th December 2009, 2:51 am

i am new to transitioning also. I am 7 weeks post relaxer and i plan to be a long term transitioner. Actually, I am new to the entire healthy hair subject. I do know a few key points and that is to make sure your hair is moisturized at all times and try as hard as possible to keep your hair in a protective style. There are plenty of good products you can use to help you along the way. Oh, and visit you tube because there are plenty of tutorials. And the ladies here are very helpful.
danijohnturner
danijohnturner

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 10th December 2009, 4:01 am

hello ladies
so i was just talking to my roommate and apparently i "transitioned" for 2 years although i did not know that I was doing it. I have worn a weave for the last years and in that time a relaxer has not touched my hair. i RECENTLY just started looking on these hair websites and I guess I'm still learning LOL.
part of my prob & frustration is that my hair is TWO textures- the top & sides are fine but then the back & bottom are like a soft brillo pad lol.

but anyway, Keisha- no i have not tried a co-wash yet nor have i used any of the same products that i did when my hair was relaxed. i will try the co-wash. Thanks for the advice.

Dani- i will be sure to moisturize. i have seen a few youtube vids on diff styles but nothing on products yet.

I've worn the curly fro today & yesterday- it was cute but the brillo pad part not so cute. tomorrow i'll try the braid- its too late tonight, off to bed!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 10th December 2009, 4:09 pm

LoveBird, did you sign up to go to the LA meetup? Are you available Dec. 20th? If so, I would say try to notify TerraD (the organizer). The meetup may help you with some of the questions that you have because people will be able to see what you are talking about and you'll be able to see the "after" to your "before".

Anyway, back on topic, moisture is definitely key (thanks, Dani!). I moisturize with olive and jojoba oil (a mixture) and leave-in condish. I use a spray bottle after I co-wash and comb through in sections on my wet hair. It will take some time to see the results (it took mine about 4 weeks), but it will come.

Another thing, you may want to get your stylist to cut off more of the relaxed ends. Trust me, dealing with the two textures is murder, lol! I did a mini chop a couple of weeks ago and that helped. HTH!
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by dr.neely 10th December 2009, 8:13 pm

I am new to transitioning also (only a month in) and I received some good advice from one natural sister on You Tube. She suggested you stay away from heat and try natural styles as you transition (two-strand twists, air dried roller sets, braids, etc.) That way you can blend the two textures. Co-washing is excellent - try Hello Hydration (love it!). Also I made a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil and aloe vera to rub through my curls to keep them soft. I am just realizing how drying relaxers are to the hair.
dr.neely
dr.neely

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 11th December 2009, 5:17 pm

keisha
i have not signed up yet for the meet up but i will. i think i have all hte relaxer out of my hair. waht is your moisturizer concoction- how much of each? and what do you co-wash w/?i know a lot of people use H.E. Hello Hydration.

Dr. Neely
i have tried the curly fro but the back of it looked horrendous bc of the brillo pad texture i have going on LOL [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . i just bought trader Joes tea tree shampoo and conditioner only used it once so far. i just dont know. i'll try HE HH and see how that works. oh where did you get shea butter & aloe vera and how much do you use to make your concoction?

So Co-washing is just shampooing w/ only conditioner? waht leave in do you ladies use?

thanks for your help everyone.

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 11th December 2009, 5:35 pm

For my moisturizing concoction, I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Condish, with Olive Oil, and Jojoba and a little water. I am not quite sure of the parts (but if I remember correctly, it was 1/2 part condish, 1/4 part olive, 1/4 part jojoba and a splash of water...try different things cuz when I started my hair was REALLY dry!). I also cowash with Hello Hydration and Organix Coconut condish. That has helped my hair soooo much! I only shampoo about once a month with Miss Jessies Slip Shampoo (not thrilled w/ it, but I bought it, so I'll use it! lol)

Once I finish co-washing, I spray the Devacurl Set It Free or Nexxus Humectress (spray) on my hair, then I follow with the mix. I found that once I started putting this combo in, my hair held some curl to it. I think the key that people do is use some of their regular condish as part of their leave-in.

Another thing is that I use gel on top of my leave-in if I am looking for extra curl definition. At some point I think I will start using aloe vera gel. Sorry for the long exp.
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 11th December 2009, 5:48 pm

this is prob a stupid ? but you're talking about extra virgin olive oil? where do you get organix coconut condish well and the other prods as well? i knw the HEHH i can get at target but i dont think i've noticed the other prods there?
oh and no apologies needed for long exp., sorry for all the ?s LOL! today is gonna be my first co-wash, gonna pick up some HEHH. and make your combo.
thanks so much!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 12th December 2009, 1:27 am

Yep, the EVOO!!! It works well for hair too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Oh, and you should be able to find the Organix at Target too. It's a white bottle with a gold top. It should be on the same aisle as the HEHH. Short bottle, around $6. I found it at CVS and also saw it Target.
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 12th December 2009, 1:32 am

Yes I bought HEHH, Organix coconut, & Garnier Fructis Sleek & shine leave-in, oh & Pantene detangle. so hopefully i should be set for a while. I also found Devacare and that mess is pricey LOL. gonna do everything in the morn, too tired to do it all now. Thanks for everything i'll def let ya know how it all turns out.

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 12th December 2009, 1:52 am

Cool! Good Luck!
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down