CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

+18
slimwithabs
Fleur
CarlaAR
Ladybird
MsJay1121
princesspen
rayray19
krissyc39
KeAnia
Ambitious_Tiff
Berry3674
Thinice
ladygogohot
Butterfly125
The Raw Twinkie
CiaE
misskris
MissyCee
22 posters

Page 9 of 29 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next

Go down

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE - Page 9 Empty Re: NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 3:36 pm

That's what I'm hoping for. Plus, I wasn't really oiling like I wanted to, because I didn't want to disturb my curls, so I was only oiling once a week. But now that I don't have that problem, I can oil as much as my scalp and hair can take. I bought some more EOs too, so I'm adding rosemary to my CO.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th February 2011, 3:41 pm

Oh ok cool. I hate sweating everyday. I should probably oil everyday, huh??. Hmm..... I wonder....well I just rubbed my scalp and even though I sweat profusely this morning there's still some oil on my scalp. So I guess I'll still stick with every other day!! lol....solves that!!!!
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th February 2011, 3:42 pm

Oh, quick question Butterfly...when you do your coils do you part your hair neatly with a comb or just feel for it with your fingers?? I know I wouldn't be able to use a comb.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 3:51 pm

I just used my fingers, girl. I thought my hair was thinner than it actually is, and I didn't want it to be "scalpy" so I didn't want the parts. Turns out my hair is fine, but not so thin. I think it was easier that way anyway...one less step.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 3:53 pm

Oh, I meant to mention that I love the Pantene Curls shampoo. It is a very creamy shampoo that suds up with a very small amount.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th February 2011, 3:57 pm

Ok, thanks. I may have to try one day. And no, your hair didn't look scalpy at all. Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 4:04 pm

Thank you, that really means a lot, because when you've been relaxing your hair as long as I have, you really are just seeing your hair for the first time when you transition or BC, and it's kind of scary Rolling Eyes
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th February 2011, 4:50 pm

I know some people always have relaxers but I am glad that I have been without one for 14, 15 yrs. I am oretty sure I would be annoyed with my hair if it were relaxed cua you can't do much with hair tha straight. Natural hair is so much better and more versatile!!! Very Happy

afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 4:57 pm

You are so right, and I (like many others) are wondering what the hell was I thinkin' all these years...lol. Why didn't I do this a long time ago?!! My best friend was saying she needed a change and she said she didn't know what to do with her hair. You know how you can't really tell somebody who still wants their hair straight to go natural? Well, I didn't say anything but I was thinking I know how she feels, because that's how I felt right before I started transitioning, like I just couldn't do anything with it anymore and it was damaged and dry no matter what, and for me there was no other option. Well, she said she was not going to relax it anymore, but that she would continue to press and flat iron...two each her own.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th February 2011, 5:07 pm

Yeah. I know people who only flat iron/hot comb. When I was in college one of my roomates hair was SO pretty and long and straight. For the longest we thought she relaxed it but she had never had a relaxer in her life!!! And it was SOOO thick!!!!!! Just saw on here earlier that Keisha Knight Pulliam is natural!!!!! One of my closest friends and one cousin have decided to go natural too so they are growing out their relaxers!!! YAY!!! I was thrilled when they told me as if it were my own hair!!! LOL My cousin (well she's my cousin's wife but still, my cousin) has tried going natural before but she got frustrated with it. But now she has found the curly girl method with that chick whose hair is down to her butt. I forget her name but her boos is called curly like me. So she has started.
But anyway, May your hair be a huge afro by summer!!!! afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 5:15 pm

Hahahahahaha!!! Thanks.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 7th February 2011, 5:22 pm

Hey Butterfly!!! Very nice!!! I love the cut the coils, not all scalpy like mine. I figured the castor oil is making my hair thicker first cause I don't have much growth, but it has gotten a lot fuller.

I am very proud to see your hair turned out nicely. I thought it would!!! Smile
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 5:25 pm

Okay, my starting measures are:

Crown: 3 in.
Front: 2-3/4 in.
Back (center): 3 in.
Sides (both): 2-3/4 in.

Now it's time to get busy with the CO, CO, CO dance

Awwww, thanks, MissyCee I love you I think the castor oil does thicken our hair. The time is flying by for our challenge isn't it?!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 7th February 2011, 5:31 pm

It is...... Oh i haven't put up my measurements.

Front sides and top are 2.75, back is 3. Some growth, but like I said much thicker!!! When I was relaxed, I always said I had wind blown hair, cause if the wind was blowing it ws moving. And my hair didn't hold curls for nothing..

I have to look back through the threads to see what my last measurements were. ......
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 7th February 2011, 5:40 pm

So as of today, February 7th, my growth is about a inch all over since we've started and a little over that in the back. Woo Hoo!!!!
Below are my last measurements.......
Ok, I measured, my last measurements on December 18th were: Front - 2", L - 2", R - 2", and back 1.5".

Today, January 3rd, Front 2.5, Left - 2.5, Right - (almost 2.5, guess this is my short growing side), and the back - 2.5.

Last edited by MissyCee on 7th February 2011, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change of font.)
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th February 2011, 6:17 pm

YAY!!! See your hair has grown. That's why we do the measurements so we can look back and see the progress. dance
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 7th February 2011, 6:22 pm

And yo know with all our chatting how far I had to go back.......... What a Face
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th February 2011, 4:32 am

@ Thinice
Don't get discouraged. I suffered some breakage but still managed to maintain some growth. Stick with it. Your hair in your avi is too fly btw!

@Butterfly125
You look absolutely lovely!! I know you feel lighter now that you've gotten that relaxed ends monkey off your back!! You did a great job on your coils. Have you practiced that before? I am really glad you have no regrets.

@MissKris
You're on a roll with your working out! Get it!! I am struggling. Extremely tired from work and school. Still losing weight though lol. I barely have time to eat!

@Krissyc39
Sorry. Sad The regular stuff seems to work just as well if that makes you feel any better.

@MissyCee
YAY FOR GROWTH!! I know exactly what you mean when talking about flyaway hair. My hair flies even now. I feel you on the thickening. I am happy about it though. My hair is fine. More strands greatly appreciated.

I did finally measure. Not as much growth this month but some is better than none. I stretched instead of flat ironing again b/c that just would have taken too long and I am noticing a little breakage. Anywho...

Last check
Front: 9 1/8 in
Behind Ear: 8 3/4 in
Back: 7 in
Temple Area: 6 3/4 in

Now
Front: 9 3/4 in
Behind Ear: 9 7/8 in
Back: 7 3/4 in
Temple Area: 8 in

Net gain:
Front: 3/4 in
Behind Ear: 1 1/8 in
Back: 3/4 in
Temple Area: 1 1/4 in

I washed using the Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar Sunday. I am really glad I was turned on to these bars. I was concerned about the strong scent of this one but it faded. No dryness so that was wonderful. I decided to switch up my products a little. I still used my Aphogee spray leave in and coconut oil to seal but I used my IC Fantasia Gel (which previously failed miserably to slick my hair back) and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to twist. Y'all my twist came out the most soft and defined they ever have.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am upset about the fact that I have several grays poking through. I believe I am stressed and my hormones are stupid outta balance. Haven't been able to eat much and I am having a little trouble focusing. I have been having a freaking cycle every other week since right before school started. Its so heavy it keeps me up at night (worrying and try to avoid "accidents") My grades are not suffering though. I am .4 away from an A in Pyschology after 2 exams. I had one exam last night and a paper due today in my Comp course. As far as I know, I have an A in there. I also have 2 exams on Wednesday; one in Sociology and the other in Biology. Quiz Thursday in Biology lab. Comp Lab assignment on Tuesday and I need to squeeze in 3 journal entries somewhere. Y'all have any suggestions on stuff I can write about? I feel like I am forgetting something... I am breaking from studying now to post, lol. I just try to keep in mind it won't be like this forever. Forgive me if any part of this is incoherent or I forgot anything. Its 1:20 a.m. and I have not had a good night's sleep in about a week. Lol, no worries though. Spring Break will be here in March.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 8th February 2011, 10:43 am

Thanks for checking in Tiff. Hope things get better soon for you. But I love that determination!!!!! Go getta!!!! cheers
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 8th February 2011, 1:31 pm

Hey, Tiff! Yes, your determination is definitely inspiring sunny. Thank you!!! And no I have never done finger coils except when the curls got loose at the nape of my neck during the week when I was wearing rod sets. I think whatever skills I have just spill over from all my years of braiding. What do you have to write about in your journal? I bet you could write about the connection between hair and self image. Happy studying! study.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 8th February 2011, 1:36 pm

Oh, I forgot to say try not to stress too much. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but if you need a motivator just remember that our bodies don't react too well to stress and shedding hair is one of those reactions to stress. Sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate but you have it all under control. Just remember to take a few moments to yourself every day and take a few deep breaths. **HUGS** I love you

BTW, your hair is too, too cute!!! You don't look like you're transitioning at all. How did you get your textures to blend so well?
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 8th February 2011, 2:20 pm

Alright Butterfly, I know there were about 15 people that said they wanted to join this challenge. i guess they all fell off. Or should we start calling them out by name to see where they are???

Laughing

So you still liking your hair?? I'm up and down with mine, but more reading and researching and I'm finding what's good and what's not. I guess at 6 months, I should have a better handle on things. I was looking at others pages not too many actually did a big chop like I did, a lot did transitioning. I mean I did for a while, but only like a few weeks, then it all I had to go. So I just mostly need moisture to keep me going. But the types, there are so many!!!! Some just sit on my hair, other actually work a few times. Oh and deep conditioning. This castor oil does work well also. But I'm rambling and gotta go. Lady Chicas!!!
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 8th February 2011, 2:32 pm

MissyCee, you are too funny! Yeah, where is everybody?! I love, love, love my hair!! I am just so happy I did it! I am not even having a good hair day today, and I still love it. I tried a technique from a YT video and my hair is like tongue not even cooperating. But that's alright. I'm just gonna keep it pushin' I'll try something else tomorrow. One thing's for sure...I have enough products. When I started this journey to natural, somebody suggested that I start a notebook and write down how my hair reacts to different products, the ingredients in the products, and take pics. This helped me develop a routine and really helped me learn about my hair, 'cause let me tell ya, I didn't know anything about my hair. I had not seen it in its natural state since I was 12. All I knew was it was damaged. You'll figure it out, MissyCee. Six months isn't that long. Anyway, I read all the time that people who have been natural for years are always still learning because our hair changes.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th February 2011, 2:40 pm

@MissyCee
I'm hoping I can get into a smoother routine. That'll definitely help me some. Lol, y'all know I was going to check in! I was kinda lazy this time though, lol. I am sure things will get better as the semester progresses and I get used to it all.

@Butterfly125
Thanx for the hug! I need all I can get. For our journals, we can write about anything basically. She does want us to include writings on our work in other classes and our major/career choice. Which is fine b/c I am using it as a study tool for my more memory intensive courses. I want to see if I can shadow an RN but I know they are busy folks so I won't get my hopes up. I am planning on dedicating an entire section to hair though. Likely a minimum or 8-10 entries. Hair and self image would be a great topic. It would be interesting for me also so it would likely be somewhat easy. I guess its b/c I have not had a perm since like summer 2009 sometime. I was always wearing sew ins. I'm trying to transition mostly out of heat damage. I had really "trained" my hair between the hot comb and flat iron. Embarassed Protein treatments have helped it bounce back some but I know I am eventually just gonna have to cut. Crying or Very sad This will definitely be a long term transition though.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 8th February 2011, 2:51 pm

Tiff, you must have never worn your hair short since you are makin' that sad face...lol! I had been planning on transitioning for a year (which would have been 7/2011) and then we found out we're going to L.A. in June and I thought I would transition until then, and then one day, I just couldn't take it anymore, and it had to go. Now, I'm glad b/c I'll probably have a few go-to styles by the time I got to L.A. My stylist is trying to get me to color it for the summer. I don't know about that. I like the look, but it's just more chemicals.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 29 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next