CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

+26
domanie7
The Raw Twinkie
kevynnew
j. kinky
Imgettingthere
rayray19
FreeFroMonet
CurlyOrangeMama
MissyCee
Berry3674
Afronique
yacoomba
CiaE
bfree
KSharee
llcarr
Sebastain13
Butterfly125
blackice82
curlya
Kimberly
ladygogohot
Ambitious_Tiff
Thinice
rvalent2
misskris
30 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE Empty NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

Post by misskris 7th December 2010, 6:23 pm

Hi All! Yesterday I posted a thread called "measured my hair/CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE. So far I have 2 curlies who want to join me in this challenge. If you are interested see below. I copied and pasted it from my original thread

YAY!!! woot! Thanks ladies!!! Ok, so this challenge was posted before by tiashauntee.

Rules:
1-apply castor oil to scalp at least twice a week, more often depending onhow quickly it is absorbed. You can start this on a day when you wash your hair as the scalp will be clean.
1a-use extra virgin castor oil or just ensure that the oil has no preservatives or salt.
2-do not rinse the castor oil out until your next wash day, giving the oil more time to penetrate the scalp.
3-do not use any other growth aides on your scalp.
Now this last one does not say anything about putting stuff on the actual hair just nothing else on the scalp. You can continue to moisturize the length of your hair as you normally do.

Now as for the length of time, I am shooting for one month for now. If at the end of a month I see some results I/we can extend the challenge.

@ Curlya, I am using regular castor oil that I puchased online at www.vitacost.com. If you already have the JBCO I guess that's fine. Some people say the only diff is it's thinner than regular castor oil.

@Tiff, the way I measured my hair was with a tapemeasure. I just put 0 end to my scalp and as accurately as I could measured by stretching my hair.

Oh and YES, please add pics so we can all see our progress. That would be great!!

Go to http://www.blackhairplanet.com/blog/bhp-castor-oil-challenge/ to see the whole, original set of rules. I had taken some out when I wrote it down in my book because it was just for me. not much extra to it just states to say which kind of castor oil u use and to post pics and if you have reactions to castor oil there are other oils you can use.

So YAY!!! I am so happy you are joining me!!!!. I actually started on Monday and plan to oil my scalp on Mondays, Wednesdays and then on Saturdays which is usually my wash day. I will take a pic this evening when my hubb gets home so he can take a pic of the back of my hair. I took those twists down today and have in cornrows now.

Good luck ladies. If you want to add anything or make suggestions please tell us.

And anyone else who wants to do this challege please do. afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE Empty Re: NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE

Post by rvalent2 8th December 2010, 10:27 am

Hi ladies...

I'll join this challenge! I'll post pictures later today and take measurements.
rvalent2
rvalent2

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 8th December 2010, 10:41 am

Yay!!!! Hi rvalent2!! Thanks for joining us!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 8th December 2010, 11:21 am

Count me in...I will take measurements and post pics later today.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 8th December 2010, 11:39 am

That's great, thinice!! I'll be checin them out. I need to post mine as well. i have them on the other thread but need to put them on this one! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 8th December 2010, 3:29 pm

Ok so here are my before shots for this castor oil challenge.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] this last one is where my hair BROKE OFF!!!!???? UGH!!!

Ok, so here we go!!!! Or should I say GROW!!! afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 3:43 pm

MissKris you got some long hair! I am gonna take my pics this weekend when I get that castor oil! I'm assuming I should not straighten before I measure...?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 8th December 2010, 4:00 pm

Hey Tiff. Thanks!! But I am also trying to get the thickness back like my hair used to be!!! You can straighten it if you want to, that's totally up to you. If you DO though, I would just be sure to straighten it everytime you do length checks so your measurements are more accurate. I thought about that too but I didn't want to put any unnecessary heat to my hair just yet!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 8th December 2010, 5:40 pm

Ok I am in, I use Castol oil ALOT so this should be easy for for me!!!!

Let's get the party started run
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 8th December 2010, 6:04 pm

Thanks for joining us LadyGogo!!!! Smile Post your pics if you'd like.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 9th December 2010, 10:17 am

I'm in I've been using castor oil for about a month now don't know if it is the cause of the growth I've been experiencing because I've been doing protective styles for about 2 months but it has softened my hair tremendously.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 10:39 am

That's awesome Kimberly! Welcome to the challenge, we're happy to have you!! How much would you say your hair has grown so far?? And what kind of protective styles do you wear??? That's what I plan on doing as well--wearing PSs all winter. I've been doing good about that for the past month I guess!! R u poting pics?? dance
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 9th December 2010, 10:44 am

I'm in too. Haven't taken any pics yet. I'm horrible about taking pics. My current avatar is the most recent photo.
I added castor oil to my scalp last night and baggied (which I try to do twice a week anyway). It will be great if it aids in the health of my hair and helps with growth also.
In the meantime, Misskris I am going to order more castor oil from the site you listed. Thanks!

I'm excited to see the results in a month.
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 10:53 am

Cool. I'm excited too!! woot! If I see good growth, I'll continue with this challenge. I know most challenges are at least 3 months but I didn't know if that would be too long. but we'll see how we all do. afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

NEW CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE Empty New Castor Oil Challenge

Post by Kimberly 9th December 2010, 11:46 am

misskris wrote:That's awesome Kimberly! Welcome to the challenge, we're happy to have you!! How much would you say your hair has grown so far?? And what kind of protective styles do you wear??? That's what I plan on doing as well--wearing PSs all winter. I've been doing good about that for the past month I guess!! R u poting pics?? dance

I don't measure my hair I'm doing it more for a healthy head of hair. My hair is fuller, stronger and the length is finally coming in, I really attribute this to protective styling, finally retaining moisture on my dry scalp and hair (the hot oil treatment before cowashing). I feel that the castor oil softens my hair tremendously because I have 4bc hair and it's protein sensitive so I had a very hard time finding things that work for my hair (I've been natural for over 4 years and I'm finally making some progress due to all of you ladies and your wealth of information, thank you ladies). I am not ready to post pictures yet I'm taking things slowly to see how they turn out and congrats on the protective styling it sure saves a lot of time in the morning, afternoon and evening. My hair is an after thought, I say this because it is already styled up and out of the way and I don't have to worry about how it looks once I've styled, no matter what I have to do that day.

Before co-washing I use olive oil as a hot oil treatment, next I co-wash, deep condition, leave-in condition, shea butter, eco style custard, style and then I apply castor oil on scalp throughout hair. I was having lots of problems with dry hair and scalp and this routine is working wonders for me. I also henna once a month, use amla and or neem, brahmi powders twice a month. My protective style is the one that Tishauntee did a tutorial on, I'm loving it and it looks nice and professional. I wash and style my hair every week and I use pure castor oil which I get from the Indian store on my entire head not just the edges. Because I don't have the length that Tishauntee has I add hair to my french braids to give me the length and yes I learned to do this myself most people are surprised that I add hair going across my head like that.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 11:55 am

I LOVE Tiashauntee! That's funny you mentioned her because I did one of her styles on my sister right after Thanksgiving and she JUST now took it down like yesterday!! It came out really pretty and she got lots of compliments. ( I did the one where she had 4 corn rows across the back to one side of her head and the front corn rows going back) I did my own twist on it...actually I have pics... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tiashauntee's hair looks so healthy and I can't understand how she can do the back of her own head in cornrows SO GOOD!!! LOL I can't do that. I do better on other people's heads. Anyway, I'm rambling.
Your regi sounds good. I have dry scalp as well, dry skin in general.especially now that it's so cold out. You don't find that the castor oil is too heavy or thick to puto on your whole hair?? I have been hesitant to do this cuz it's so thick.

misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 9th December 2010, 11:57 am

Kimberly wrote:
misskris wrote:That's awesome Kimberly! Welcome to the challenge, we're happy to have you!! How much would you say your hair has grown so far?? And what kind of protective styles do you wear??? That's what I plan on doing as well--wearing PSs all winter. I've been doing good about that for the past month I guess!! R u poting pics?? dance

I don't measure my hair I'm doing it more for a healthy head of hair. My hair is fuller, stronger and the length is finally coming in, I really attribute this to protective styling, finally retaining moisture on my dry scalp and hair (the hot oil treatment before cowashing). I feel that the castor oil softens my hair tremendously because I have 4bc hair and it's protein sensitive so I had a very hard time finding things that work for my hair (I've been natural for over 4 years and I'm finally making some progress due to all of you ladies and your wealth of information, thank you ladies). I am not ready to post pictures yet I'm taking things slowly to see how they turn out and congrats on the protective styling it sure saves a lot of time in the morning, afternoon and evening. My hair is an after thought, I say this because it is already styled up and out of the way and I don't have to worry about how it looks once I've styled, no matter what I have to do that day.

Before co-washing I use olive oil as a hot oil treatment, next I co-wash, deep condition, leave-in condition, shea butter, eco style custard, style and then I apply castor oil on scalp throughout hair. I was having lots of problems with dry hair and scalp and this routine is working wonders for me. I also henna once a month, use amla and or neem, brahmi powders twice a month. My protective style is the one that Tishauntee did a tutorial on, I'm loving it and it looks nice and professional. I wash and style my hair every week and I use pure castor oil which I get from the Indian store on my entire head not just the edges. Because I don't have the length that Tishauntee has I add hair to my french braids to give me the length and yes I learned to do this myself most people are surprised that I add hair going across my head like that.

Oh and I do apply castor oil to my scalp twice a week because of the thickness of the castor oil I don't have to apply often and sometimes I will use a little coconut oil/vatika oil on my ends.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 9th December 2010, 12:01 pm

[quote="misskris"]I LOVE Tiashauntee! That's funny you mentioned her because I did one of her styles on my sister right after Thanksgiving and she JUST now took it down like yesterday!! It came out really pretty and she got lots of compliments. ( I did the one where she had 4 corn rows across the back to one side of her head and the front corn rows going back) I did my own twist on it...actually I have pics... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tiashauntee's hair looks so healthy and I can't understand how she can do the back of her own head in cornrows SO GOOD!!! LOL I can't do that. I do better on other people's heads. Anyway, I'm rambling.
Your regi sounds good. I have dry scalp as well, dry skin in general.especially now that it's so cold out. You don't find that the castor oil is too heavy or thick to puto on your whole hair?? I have been hesitant to do this cuz it's so thick.

[/quote

It is thick but I only put it on my scalp and I only do this twice within a week. I use to use coconut oil but would have to apply every day or at least every other day this works well for me. The style that you did is the same one I'm talking about except that you did your front a little different and it looks great I'm going to have to try yours now, thanks for another great idea you all are the bomb.

Last edited by Kimberly on 9th December 2010, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 9th December 2010, 12:07 pm

[quote="Kimberly"]
misskris wrote:I LOVE Tiashauntee! That's funny you mentioned her because I did one of her styles on my sister right after Thanksgiving and she JUST now took it down like yesterday!! It came out really pretty and she got lots of compliments. ( I did the one where she had 4 corn rows across the back to one side of her head and the front corn rows going back) I did my own twist on it...actually I have pics... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[/quote

It is thick but I only put it on my scalp and I only do this twice within a week. I use to use coconut oil but would have to apply every day or at least every other day this works well for me. The style that you did is the same one I'm talking about except that you did your front a little different and it looks great I'm going to have to try yours now, thanks for another great idea you all are the bomb.

I'm loving the way you did your sister's hair it is really really nice I'm going to try it this weekend when I do my hair.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 9th December 2010, 12:11 pm

I'll post pics as soon as i can. How long does this challenge last ? Also, i am going to measure my hair and come back with the stats, so i can be accurate. i am trying to get @ least 3" by summer.
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 12:12 pm

Thanks Kimberly!! Glad you like it!! I also did it on one of my daughter's hair. Which I need to take out. It's 2 weeks old and fuzzy. Not too bad though!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 12:15 pm

Hey LadyGogo!! Well, I said a month, but we can do longer if you want. I was just iffy about the amt of time. I figured 1 month was good because it's not that long but maybe it will be long enough for us to see if we want to continue it. I said I will continue if I like the results I will see.

Ladies, if you wanna do more than a month please let us know. We're all in this together!!! Very Happy woot! run
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice82 9th December 2010, 2:33 pm

I will like to join but my hair is in kinky twist. When I take them out next month I'll post pics : )
blackice82
blackice82

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 9th December 2010, 2:48 pm

That's cool Blackice!!! Take your time!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 10th December 2010, 12:36 am

Count me in, misskris! I just got my JBCO in the mail today because I'm trying to grow my hair and thicken my edges, so this challenge is right on time! I'll take some pics and post tomorrow dance
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next