CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask MahoganyCurls

+64
rashin
cioccolata
Sebastain13
CurlyChick
Free&Curly
darkbeautytt
caracara
Maricopa
JQ
Ameenah
rnewsome
LeleGriff
NewlyNina
LuxLocsnCurls
C.
newcurlieque
poeticlyspkng
JessJ
Sabina
CSI
sunbaby
jlowman1
dbvais
kinky-coily1107
Abisco
DaRkcHoCoLaTe
back2basics
sweetface1118
naijabelle
ohnatural
CurlyMo
Succinctlyso
lena73
cococurly
.:Eden:.
Cbbeanbeautii
JustMe
NaturalNixon
Corygentri
Kea::curls
krisdion01
rosscd
theboldandthecurly
Notthecoolmom
FrouLaLa
Redcamerasnaps
crustaceans
curlyq145
Congolaise
NikE
Pi*Jay
frenchie
NappyJer19
anaturalessence
Pat
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
Lynnieluve
curly+kinky+fierce
NhappyJackie
traveljunkie08
MahoganyCurls
*CurlyNikki*
68 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask MahoganyCurls - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask MahoganyCurls

Post by sweetdrk1 28th November 2009, 9:22 pm

I LOVE THE SPIRAL SET and am eargerly anticipating the tutorial!! Happy holidays!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 28th November 2009, 9:26 pm

I'm with everyone else. Please show/tell us how you did the spiral set! It's super cute. Smile
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th November 2009, 9:44 pm

curly+kinky+fierce wrote:Hey Mahogany...ok! SO YOU LIKE HAVE TO SHOW US THAT ROD SETTTT!! Oh yea I saw it ! And it looked fab!! So if you get a chance i think we would def like to see it ! lol....

isn't it hot!!! I need details MCurls, what did you use, what size rods!! I love it!!! oooo I said that already didn't I? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Redcamerasnaps 28th November 2009, 10:38 pm

I keep coming back and checkin for that tutorial. LOL!!!
Redcamerasnaps
Redcamerasnaps

http://public.fotki.com/redcamerasnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 29th November 2009, 6:30 pm

Ladies, the video is up on YouTube! I'm looking at it now.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Redcamerasnaps 29th November 2009, 8:00 pm

Im still waiting on part 2, lol
Redcamerasnaps
Redcamerasnaps

http://public.fotki.com/redcamerasnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th November 2009, 12:18 am

Its up I just watched them both. Gonna get me some rollers tmrw! I will post results. Jess you are the best!!! and your hair!! I swear when I grow up!!! LOL!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 30th November 2009, 1:17 pm

MC,

I tried your style from the military ball (but not really)... You'll see the pictures.

I had a wedding to go to and woke up late so I didn't have enough time to do exactly what you did, but you gave me the idea. I co-washed, put oil, leave-in conditioner and gel in my hair then I brushed it back. My hair is not long enough for a ponytail yet so it was more like a puff and then I wore my scarf to flatten it. By the time we drove to the wedding (approx. 3 1/2 hrs) it was dry enough that all I had to do was take off the scarf and put my goodies headband on. I was going to wear a flower in my hair, but they pinned me at the last minute and I thought 2 flowers would look silly. Even my mother said it was cute.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I thought I had pictures at the wedding, but I guess someone else took those...

Last edited by Notthecoolmom on 30th November 2009, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong picture uploaded)
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by theboldandthecurly 30th November 2009, 2:35 pm

Okay so I love this forum!!! Much love for my fellow TWA's. I feel like there is endless possibilities for my hair and I'm henging on the idea of keeping it below 3 inches. Either way, I only transitioned for four months and BC'd July 24th, 2009- Felt like my birthday lol! I loved my hair and I still do!...but just one quick question:
a. My ends looks terrible at the top: How in the world do I keep them moisturized? I rub them with cantu shea butter conditioner but I dont think it's working.

-Thanks so much!

and yeah, I'm with everybody else: I need to see that spiral set tutorial before the office Christmas Party lol!
theboldandthecurly
theboldandthecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by rosscd 30th November 2009, 11:18 pm

MahoganyCurls I am loving your hair. I have never tried just conditioner on my hair. I thought I needed a lot of wait to make my curls pop. I will definately give your technique a try this weekend. I am so happy to have a TWA group to share my thoughts with. I have BC'd 3 times this year, b/c I am having a hard time with in between. Plus I really love short hair. But I want to see what my natural would look like longer.

Anyway, I am saying all of this to say your hair is an inspiration and love the videos.
rosscd
rosscd

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:28 am

rosscd wrote:MahoganyCurls I am loving your hair. I have never tried just conditioner on my hair. I thought I needed a lot of wait to make my curls pop. I will definately give your technique a try this weekend. I am so happy to have a TWA group to share my thoughts with. I have BC'd 3 times this year, b/c I am having a hard time with in between. Plus I really love short hair. But I want to see what my natural would look like longer.

Anyway, I am saying all of this to say your hair is an inspiration and love the videos.

Thank you so much! You and your hair are beautiful! Yes, I just use conditioner on my hair. I used to use gel throughout my hair and it was fine, I just felt it defined my curls too much, but most people use gel and conditioner. I like to use conditioner only because it moisturizes my hair, it is only one product (I do not like to put a lot stuff in my hair) and I get a little more volume compared to when I use hair gel. Again, thank you so much! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:42 am

theboldandthecurly wrote:Okay so I love this forum!!! Much love for my fellow TWA's. I feel like there is endless possibilities for my hair and I'm henging on the idea of keeping it below 3 inches. Either way, I only transitioned for four months and BC'd July 24th, 2009- Felt like my birthday lol! I loved my hair and I still do!...but just one quick question:
a. My ends looks terrible at the top: How in the world do I keep them moisturized? I rub them with cantu shea butter conditioner but I dont think it's working.

-Thanks so much!

and yeah, I'm with everybody else: I need to see that spiral set tutorial before the office Christmas Party lol!

Congrats on your bc! I felt the same way when I ditched the relaxer!!! Lol! Are you ends really dry and stick together? (tangles). If that is the case you may want to trim them a little. You do not have to go to the barber, all you need is hair shears (hair cutting scissors). Just cut a little off. If that is not what you wanna do right now, you can always change your conditioner and try another one. Just to see if it is the product that is drying your hair out. Your ends are the most important part of your hair. So it is best to make sure they are in good health. I know when my hair was very short, it used to be so dry. I found out it was because I was shampooing (with sulfates) too much once every week and using cones. I ditch the shampoo and cones and my hair started retaining more moisture. I basically follow the Curly Girl method (CG method) It isnt for everyone, but i would recommend that you give it a try. I also started sealing the moisture in my hair. I cowash, with a cone free conditioner (V05 or Suave Naturals), rinse on soak and wet hair add my conditioner of choice (cone free or has water soluable cones) Examples: Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and my fav TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac. Leave that in my hair...do not rinse, detangle your hair if it is long enough with the conditioner in it. Last but not least add oil or your choice (no mineral oil) I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (my favorite oil) or Vatika oil...I take the EVOO and put about a little less than a quarter size amount and rub my hands together, and put it on top on my wet hair. I hope you get it.

Anyway, i started doing this and my moisture level was a lot better. Also, just because your hair is short make sure you tie it up or sleep on a satin pillowcase or bonnet at night. The most important step always apply product (conditoners, gel, oil) to soak and wet hair. Water is your best friend, and try not to touch your hair much...it can cause breakage and dry your hair out! Lol!!!

HTH...let me know if you have anymore questions

Last edited by MahoganyCurls on 1st December 2009, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : null)
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:45 am

Notthecoolmom wrote:MC,

I tried your style from the military ball (but not really)... You'll see the pictures.

I had a wedding to go to and woke up late so I didn't have enough time to do exactly what you did, but you gave me the idea. I co-washed, put oil, leave-in conditioner and gel in my hair then I brushed it back. My hair is not long enough for a ponytail yet so it was more like a puff and then I wore my scarf to flatten it. By the time we drove to the wedding (approx. 3 1/2 hrs) it was dry enough that all I had to do was take off the scarf and put my goodies headband on. I was going to wear a flower in my hair, but they pinned me at the last minute and I thought 2 flowers would look silly. Even my mother said it was cute.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I thought I had pictures at the wedding, but I guess someone else took those...

Wow! You look so pretty! I would love to see more pictures! I am happy your were pleased! And your eyes are gorgegous! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:47 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:Its up I just watched them both. Gonna get me some rollers tmrw! I will post results. Jess you are the best!!! and your hair!! I swear when I grow up!!! LOL!!

Ha ha! Thanks girl! I am sorry, I have been late with the replies...life and school. I will do better! I had to share with you guys so you all can try it! Can't hold out on my ladies!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:47 am

Redcamerasnaps wrote:Im still waiting on part 2, lol

lol!!!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 8:56 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:
curly+kinky+fierce wrote:Hey Mahogany...ok! SO YOU LIKE HAVE TO SHOW US THAT ROD SETTTT!! Oh yea I saw it ! And it looked fab!! So if you get a chance i think we would def like to see it ! lol....

isn't it hot!!! I need details MCurls, what did you use, what size rods!! I love it!!! oooo I said that already didn't I? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I stated what I used in the video, but I like to write it out too, so people can see it better [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] :

I cowashed with V05 (you can shampoo, if that is what you like to do...)

I used Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (running low) and Aussie Moist as my leave in

Parted my hair in four sections

Secured the sections of hair with scrunchies, you can also use clips

I like to start rolling my hair in the back:

I made smaller sections and began rolling

Slightly pulling hair while rolling it, this will get your roots straight

Make sure your ends are smooth

Do this all over your head

You can air dry or sit under the hooded dryer

I did both, Air dried for an hour (had to clean the house) and sat under the dryer for an hour..I didnt have to sit under the dryer that long, I just wanted it to be very dry.

Then you remove the rollers.

Slowly remove them...pull hair and twirl

repeat...Style, that's it!

You can use whatever product you would like..it is up to you.
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:21 am

frenchie wrote:I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner and my roots and everything are really soft, but once it dries, my ends feel really rough. Is it because my ends don't have enough moisture, or could it be from frizziness?

Hey! I would like to apologize for my tardines! Okay, it could be a number of things. I could be the product ingredients such as silicones...some ppl have problems with the cones drying the hair out. What they do is coat the hair making it feel soft, but eventually your hair can get really dry, because it coats the hair with a film, not really moisturzing it. It coud be that you using sulfates which can be drying your hair. Or you may have build up and need to clarifly your hair. Do you seal in the moisture with an oil? I know when i first bc'd I didnt do this (my hair used to get very dry too) and I started sealing the moisture with oil and my hair retained moisture. You have to be consistent with it. I like to use extra virgin olive oil. If frizz is the problem, you can just add more conditioner to your ends and that should smooth it.

Also, if you are not doing this apply product to wet hair...very wet hair. It may take a few minutes to dry, but water is the best thing for your hair. Add your conditoner, the add the oil last...all over your hair...make sure you try to focus mostly on your ends when applying product.

Last but not least, you may need a trim. You can do it yourself or go to a beautician, if you arent sure if you can do it. I say beautician instead of barber because they tend to cut too much hair and they use clippers most of the time. I only trim every six months, and I do it my self...I recommend you try it yourself if you feel you need a trim. Check out this video...

HTH...let me know if you have anymore questions

MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:23 am

Pat wrote:Hi Mahogany curls, thank you for sharing your do with me.. unfortunately I tried to do it .. I think it came out great unfortunately I have no pics yet.. I will surely post them when I get them..
Another style question.. how did you do those spiral curls I see in your latest pics..

Thanks

Please post them! And thank you!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:30 am

naturalessence wrote:OK, so I am newbie and I checked this website out after watching your videos on youtube. So thank you for all of your inspiration! I transitioned for 8 months and BC'd in Oct. I instantly fell in love with my hair and am looking forward to all the wonderful things I can do with it.
I'm still trying to catch up on all the natural hair lingo that you all are using, LOL!! Can u give me some suggestions on shampoos and conditioners that I can try that will help me on my journey.

Thanks again

I am so sorry about jus replying:

Well, it is up to you what you would like to use, but I do not use shampoos with sulfates anymore, I just use a sulfate free shampoo once a month and cowash once a week.

My favorite products are:

Condtioners-

TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
Aussie Moist

Shampoo-
Sulfate Free

Giovanni 50:50 hydrating Clarifying Shampoo

Deep Conditoner-
Bed head moisture maniac or conditioner of you choice with honey (add the honey seperately)
Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Conditoner

Cowash Conditioners-
V05 Conditioners (my favorite!)
Suave Naturals (only suave naturals)

I leave regular conditoner in my hair...so the conditioners at the top are my leave ins

Gels
Herbal Essence Set me up
Eco Styler Gel- Clear...havent tried it yet

Oils
Vatika coconut oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Congrats on your BC! HTH!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:32 am

JackieJ205 wrote:Oh I forgot to say, I'm not a stalker or anything but I thought about you on Friday. I went into my Walmart and their hair salon had Bed Head Moisture Maniac on sale for 60% off. That's right. I get to try out a full bottle for only $5, it was originally $12.95. I was like "If only Jess was here" lol

I am so jealous right now!!!! Man! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:39 am

Pi*Jay wrote:MC, your hair is Gorgebeautiful! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Coupla questions:

1. Do you use gel? If so, what kind? Can it be damaging to your hair?

2. I am having problems with my hair retaining moisture and shine. How do you make your hair glow?

I am so sorry about just replying! Okay, I use gel on my edges now...i used to use it all over, i may use it later in the future all over my hair again...Right now, i am using isoplus gel (yellow) My favorite gel is herbal essence set me up gel. I want to try the eco styler Clear gel...I hear a lot of good things about that.

2. I just use conditioner on my hair. That is my styler, moisturizer, etc. I also wet my hair thoroughly and apply conditioner to soak and wet hair. I air dry it, stay away from direct heat. I avoid the use of cones that are not water soluable...and i do use mineral oil. I also drink a lot of water. I feel that low manipulation is the key to healthy hair.

Olive is my favorite oil. It is great for the hair too! I use it once a week when i style my hair. I use the olive oil the seal in the moisture.

HTH! Let me know if you have more questions
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:40 am

NikkiE wrote:Hi Mahogany! I'm a newbie as well, just wanted to say that you rock!!!

Awww! Thank you! You guys rock too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:42 am

Congolaise wrote:Mahoganycurls, you're the best! Thanks for the tip on refreshening a wash n go. . I've followed you and many others since you BCed earlier this year. I BCed three months ago after 7.5 months of transitioning. I've been on a CG routine since my transitioning days, but I still had problems retaining moisture. I tried wash n gos a few times after the BC, but I hate gels, even the natural ones. I am really looking for a simple routine. I like twist outs but my hair dries out so much after the first day! I did not think about using water everyday to refreshen my curls until I saw your video this past weekend. I did a wash n go with devacare one conditioner two days ago. I've been using my herb infused water (lemongrass, rosemary, and sage boiled for 30 mins) to refreshen the curls in the morning and I am amazed!!! My hair is moisturized and shiny without oils! THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !

Youre welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am so happy! I have to get some more Deva Care one. I tried the Deval Curl and hated it, but I heard the Devar is better.
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:47 am

curlyq145 wrote:Hi MahoganyCurls,

LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair and videos! I was able to achieve a few days of WNG hair using your method but it still comes out a little frizzy and after I spritz it with water I don't touch it until after it dries. Do you have any suggestions on that? Also, do you know when you're officially out of the TWA stage as I've been able to pull it into a puff (in the shower of course)?

Hey! Sometimes the same thing happend to me. What i do is wet my hair and ya know, refresh the curls...and take the strands that are frizzy, get a little conditioner and smooth it down the strands...I hope that makes sense. Are you saying all of your hair is frizzy? You may have to use a little more conditioner when you style it the first time if you arent using enough. I know after it gets old it will get a little frizzy, I kinda like it... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I think when you can pull you hair in one pony you are officially out the TWA stage...or two puffs... Then you will have short natural hair! I am in this stage now! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 1st December 2009, 9:49 am

crustaceans wrote:Your TWA is Gorgeous, with a capital G. Excited to see more from you!

Thank you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] blushing....
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next