CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask MahoganyCurls

+64
rashin
cioccolata
Sebastain13
CurlyChick
Free&Curly
darkbeautytt
caracara
Maricopa
JQ
Ameenah
rnewsome
LeleGriff
NewlyNina
LuxLocsnCurls
C.
newcurlieque
poeticlyspkng
JessJ
Sabina
CSI
sunbaby
jlowman1
dbvais
kinky-coily1107
Abisco
DaRkcHoCoLaTe
back2basics
sweetface1118
naijabelle
ohnatural
CurlyMo
Succinctlyso
lena73
cococurly
.:Eden:.
Cbbeanbeautii
JustMe
NaturalNixon
Corygentri
Kea::curls
krisdion01
rosscd
theboldandthecurly
Notthecoolmom
FrouLaLa
Redcamerasnaps
crustaceans
curlyq145
Congolaise
NikE
Pi*Jay
frenchie
NappyJer19
anaturalessence
Pat
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
Lynnieluve
curly+kinky+fierce
NhappyJackie
traveljunkie08
MahoganyCurls
*CurlyNikki*
68 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask MahoganyCurls - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask MahoganyCurls

Post by sweetdrk1 15th November 2009, 11:41 am

I found you on YT and became an avid fan! Love your hair, love your personality AND that cute lil boy! hahahahaaa!!

I can stretch my wash n go to 5 days thanks to you!! I also finally got me some Moisture Maniac (my bff found it on sale and shipped me a BIG bottle) and I got the most compliments to date with the results!! I am almost 3mths old and my curls are starting to stand up and be funky! I love it!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 15th November 2009, 6:39 pm

did it... check my profile pic or my fotki http://public.fotki.com/JackieJones205/
Now I'm like...What's next!!!!!!!! I love it and so does my husband. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat 15th November 2009, 6:44 pm

Hi Everyone!

I had a question for MahoganyCurls and everyone else with a TWA for that matter.. I have a wedding to attend and I have no idea how to style my hair.. I could always go with a wash and go but I am in that TWA stage where the twa is not quite a twa
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 5:53 pm

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:Intelbeauty; girrrl dnt worry about the different textures, thats the beauty of natural hair. my girlfriend is on the fence of going natural cuz she doesnt want to look "nappy"...what is lookin nappy, lol?? when i had the even steven cut i pictured my hair with solange curls..well umm, i got solange curls on the side and kizzy fist curls on top! my son's dad isnt feelin my low twa but i dnt see him running to his wallet to get my hair done so [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to him!

so mahog; i've heard of the IC gels too so im gonna try out the olive oil one w/aloe vera. i've noticed my curls pop more when i put the aloe on right after my co-wash vs rummaging oils n moisturizer first! i do hate the crunchy feel becuz it reminds of that infamous black gel of doom from the 90's but im gonna attempt to let the gel dry first and soften my curls with oil/moisturizer on my hands after!

now tryin not to touch as they dry...errrr...umm, ok i can try! im just so in love with my hair now i cant help it. im in the puppy love stage [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lol! Yes, I personally havent tried the gel yet, but I have heard great things about it! I fee that product works best when your hair is really wet! I know how it is with the touching, it was like i had to go into hand rehab, just to keep my hands out of my head! Lol!!!!!!!!!! I was so in love too! And still is! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 5:54 pm

JackieJ205 wrote:did it... check my profile pic or my fotki http://public.fotki.com/JackieJones205/
Now I'm like...What's next!!!!!!!! I love it and so does my husband. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look amazing! You are glowing through your picture!!!!! Wow! So pretty!!!!! I am so happy for you! How do you feel? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 16th November 2009, 6:00 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:
JackieJ205 wrote:did it... check my profile pic or my fotki http://public.fotki.com/JackieJones205/

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look amazing! You are glowing through your picture!!!!! Wow! So pretty!!!!! I am so happy for you! How do you feel? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It feels so good to be free of that stuff. The only thing now is, I had no idea the top part of my hair groes almost bone straight. The stylist gave me a twist out, but I have no idea of how to do it myself. I'm thinking of buying some of the twisting locking gel stuff and do finger coils until it grows out more. Dunno.....But I am really loving the new me!!!!
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 6:02 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I found you on YT and became an avid fan! Love your hair, love your personality AND that cute lil boy! hahahahaaa!!

I can stretch my wash n go to 5 days thanks to you!! I also finally got me some Moisture Maniac (my bff found it on sale and shipped me a BIG bottle) and I got the most compliments to date with the results!! I am almost 3mths old and my curls are starting to stand up and be funky! I love it!!

Awwwwwwwwww thank you sooooooo much! I love MM!!!! it smells so good! I am so happy for you~ You look amazing! Thank you for your support!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 6:05 pm

JackieJ205 wrote:
MahoganyCurls wrote:

It feels so good to be free of that stuff. The only thing now is, I had no idea the top part of my hair groes almost bone straight. The stylist gave me a twist out, but I have no idea of how to do it myself. I'm thinking of buying some of the twisting locking gel stuff and do finger coils until it grows out more. Dunno.....But I am really loving the new me!!!!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I am so glad you said this. About your hair being straight. So is mine. It is still straight...when wet it curls but not as much as the rest, when i bc'd i thought it was still relaxed hair, but that is the way my hair grows! I dont really like it, but i deal with it. I am so happy that youre happy! Yay!!!!!!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by anaturalessence 16th November 2009, 6:14 pm

OK, so I am newbie and I checked this website out after watching your videos on youtube. So thank you for all of your inspiration! I transitioned for 8 months and BC'd in Oct. I instantly fell in love with my hair and am looking forward to all the wonderful things I can do with it.
I'm still trying to catch up on all the natural hair lingo that you all are using, LOL!! Can u give me some suggestions on shampoos and conditioners that I can try that will help me on my journey.

Thanks again
anaturalessence
anaturalessence

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 16th November 2009, 6:28 pm

Oh I forgot to say, I'm not a stalker or anything but I thought about you on Friday. I went into my Walmart and their hair salon had Bed Head Moisture Maniac on sale for 60% off. That's right. I get to try out a full bottle for only $5, it was originally $12.95. I was like "If only Jess was here" lol
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th November 2009, 6:41 pm

Pat wrote:Hi Everyone!

I had a question for MahoganyCurls and everyone else with a TWA for that matter.. I have a wedding to attend and I have no idea how to style my hair.. I could always go with a wash and go but I am in that TWA stage where the twa is not quite a twa

Okay, Well I recently went to an Air Force Ball in September and my hair was like yours. I created a simple wash n go updo...if that is what you wanna call it. I wish i would have done a tutorial on it. Here is what i did:

Cowashed my hair (shampoo if you need too or like shampooing)
With soak and wet hair, I apply Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner
Detangled (I finger comb my hair) Like you are doing a wash n go
I shook my head to clump and seperate the curls
Then I took my rattail comb, and gel...parted my hair (you can part it , where you like your parts)
Gel your sides and the hair in the front where the hair is
Then take a headband and slowly push it towards the back of your head...
Your hair towards the far crown and back shoudl still have the wash n go look
Gel a little more if you see any lose hair, take a satin scarf and tie it on your gelled hair
Dont worry about the curls in the back...just dont touch it! Lol!!!
Leave for about 10 minutes of longer, get dressed, apply makeup etc
Take the scarf off! Viola! Simple TWA elegant look!

Note- You can use the gel of your choice. I used Herbal Essence Set Me Up Gel, Max hold. I heard ECO Styler clear gel is really good at holding the hair down. You want to use a good gel when you are molding your hair for a style like this.

Also, I do not use brushes on my hair, that is why i used a rattail comb. They are definitely ideal for parting the hair. You can use a brush, if you prefer that.

I really wish i had a tutorial, but i do have a few pictures, and a video i did with this style. I hope this helps! If you go with a Wash n go, you can dress it up with nice hair accessories, or wear a curly half wig, if you dont mind wearing wigs...Just let me know!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NappyJer19 17th November 2009, 12:03 am

MahoganyCurls wrote:
NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:As a new BC myself, congrats to our fellow twa tresses, lol. im goin on my 2nd month since i shaved it all off and now im rockin a short curly look. so far i've been using natural aloe vera gel and lookin for another type of anythin to make my curls POP...

Congrats! I used conditioner as my leave in...regular conditioner and my curls used to POP! You can also use gel if you dont mind your hair being a little crunchy...I like Herbal essences Set me up or Isoplus gel (yellow)..or just conditioner alone. I hear good things about ECO styler gel and IC fantasia, havent tried it yet!

Remember always apply product to wet hair, you get the best results that way, and do not touch it while drying!

TIP: If your hair feel a little hard after it dries, quickly run your hands over it front to back no more than twice, it will soften the curls and wont disturb them! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a question, is it okay to use conditioner and not rinse it out? I've noticed a lot of naturals on hair boards say they leave the conditioner in but i'm skeptical because the instructions always say to wash it out...unless it's a leave-in...so why does it say wash it out if you really don't have to?

-Jer
NappyJer19
NappyJer19

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 17th November 2009, 3:53 am

NappyJer19 wrote:
MahoganyCurls wrote:
NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:As a new BC myself, congrats to our fellow twa tresses, lol. im goin on my 2nd month since i shaved it all off and now im rockin a short curly look. so far i've been using natural aloe vera gel and lookin for another type of anythin to make my curls POP...

Congrats! I used conditioner as my leave in...regular conditioner and my curls used to POP! You can also use gel if you dont mind your hair being a little crunchy...I like Herbal essences Set me up or Isoplus gel (yellow)..or just conditioner alone. I hear good things about ECO styler gel and IC fantasia, havent tried it yet!

Remember always apply product to wet hair, you get the best results that way, and do not touch it while drying!

TIP: If your hair feel a little hard after it dries, quickly run your hands over it front to back no more than twice, it will soften the curls and wont disturb them! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a question, is it okay to use conditioner and not rinse it out? I've noticed a lot of naturals on hair boards say they leave the conditioner in but i'm skeptical because the instructions always say to wash it out...unless it's a leave-in...so why does it say wash it out if you really don't have to?

-Jer

Yes! That is the only styler I use on my hair is regular conditioner. That is it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by frenchie 17th November 2009, 4:15 am

I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner and my roots and everything are really soft, but once it dries, my ends feel really rough. Is it because my ends don't have enough moisture, or could it be from frizziness?

frenchie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 23rd November 2009, 4:04 pm

MC, your hair is Gorgebeautiful! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Coupla questions:

1. Do you use gel? If so, what kind? Can it be damaging to your hair?

2. I am having problems with my hair retaining moisture and shine. How do you make your hair glow?
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by NikE 24th November 2009, 12:03 am

Hi Mahogany! I'm a newbie as well, just wanted to say that you rock!!!
NikE
NikE

Back to top Go down

Post by Congolaise 24th November 2009, 4:07 pm

Mahoganycurls, you're the best! Thanks for the tip on refreshening a wash n go. . I've followed you and many others since you BCed earlier this year. I BCed three months ago after 7.5 months of transitioning. I've been on a CG routine since my transitioning days, but I still had problems retaining moisture. I tried wash n gos a few times after the BC, but I hate gels, even the natural ones. I am really looking for a simple routine. I like twist outs but my hair dries out so much after the first day! I did not think about using water everyday to refreshen my curls until I saw your video this past weekend. I did a wash n go with devacare one conditioner two days ago. I've been using my herb infused water (lemongrass, rosemary, and sage boiled for 30 mins) to refreshen the curls in the morning and I am amazed!!! My hair is moisturized and shiny without oils! THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !
Congolaise
Congolaise

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 26th November 2009, 3:04 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:
NappyJer19 wrote:
MahoganyCurls wrote:

-Jer

Yes! That is the only styler I use on my hair is regular conditioner. That is it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AND as an avid fan who wants M-curls hair when I grow up!! LOL I can tell you that I too only use conditioner as a styler.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 27th November 2009, 11:16 am

Hi MahoganyCurls,

LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair and videos! I was able to achieve a few days of WNG hair using your method but it still comes out a little frizzy and after I spritz it with water I don't touch it until after it dries. Do you have any suggestions on that? Also, do you know when you're officially out of the TWA stage as I've been able to pull it into a puff (in the shower of course)?
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by crustaceans 27th November 2009, 3:06 pm

Your TWA is Gorgeous, with a capital G. Excited to see more from you!
crustaceans
crustaceans

http://crustaceans.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 27th November 2009, 3:38 pm

Hey Mahogany...ok! SO YOU LIKE HAVE TO SHOW US THAT ROD SETTTT!! Oh yea I saw it ! And it looked fab!! So if you get a chance i think we would def like to see it ! lol....
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat 27th November 2009, 7:33 pm

Hi Mahogany curls, thank you for sharing your do with me.. unfortunately I tried to do it .. I think it came out great unfortunately I have no pics yet.. I will surely post them when I get them..
Another style question.. how did you do those spiral curls I see in your latest pics..

Thanks
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post by Redcamerasnaps 28th November 2009, 2:19 pm

^ BUMP! I wonder too. Do you have any tutorials of some sort. Thank you
Redcamerasnaps
Redcamerasnaps

http://public.fotki.com/redcamerasnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by FrouLaLa 28th November 2009, 5:13 pm

please tell us how you did your "thanksgiving hair" style!

FrouLaLa

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 28th November 2009, 6:57 pm

hey jackie, i got the exact SAME problem cuz the top of my hair seems like its growing in straight too. it makes me mad cuz i envisioned a whole head of solange like curls, lol. im convinced she just cheated some how! i went back to my stylist thinkin i'd just shave it all off again but she was like no...there's no perm in my head and i just have 2 textures!

so now im dealing with curly coils on the side of my head and a kid n play fade on top [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next