CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask MahoganyCurls

+64
rashin
cioccolata
Sebastain13
CurlyChick
Free&Curly
darkbeautytt
caracara
Maricopa
JQ
Ameenah
rnewsome
LeleGriff
NewlyNina
LuxLocsnCurls
C.
newcurlieque
poeticlyspkng
JessJ
Sabina
CSI
sunbaby
jlowman1
dbvais
kinky-coily1107
Abisco
DaRkcHoCoLaTe
back2basics
sweetface1118
naijabelle
ohnatural
CurlyMo
Succinctlyso
lena73
cococurly
.:Eden:.
Cbbeanbeautii
JustMe
NaturalNixon
Corygentri
Kea::curls
krisdion01
rosscd
theboldandthecurly
Notthecoolmom
FrouLaLa
Redcamerasnaps
crustaceans
curlyq145
Congolaise
NikE
Pi*Jay
frenchie
NappyJer19
anaturalessence
Pat
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
Lynnieluve
curly+kinky+fierce
NhappyJackie
traveljunkie08
MahoganyCurls
*CurlyNikki*
68 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask MahoganyCurls - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask MahoganyCurls

Post by newcurlieque 17th February 2010, 5:04 pm

ok I actually have some HEHH so I will try that. Thanks so much, your awesome! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 17th February 2010, 5:40 pm

newcurlieque wrote:ok I actually have some HEHH so I will try that. Thanks so much, your awesome! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

no problem! That is even better!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] thank you! let me know your results!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 17th February 2010, 5:52 pm

Will do!!!
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by sunbaby 18th February 2010, 7:42 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:
sunbaby wrote:Hi Mahogany Curls,
Hate to keep bothering you but, I am really trying to find the right routine to keep my hair in good shape. How many times a week did you co-wash when you had a TWA? I think if I undertsand from your vids correctly, you wet and put condish and oil in everyday. Is that right?

Thanks so much.

Hi!
YEs, with my TWA i cowashed every other day, until i got the moisture level where i wanted it...this may varies with you. But I didn put condish and oil in it everyday, when it was very short..it was water, conditioner, oil, and sometimes gel..depending on the definition i wanted. I hope that helps!

Thanks Mahogany Curls.
sunbaby
sunbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 19th February 2010, 2:14 pm

Hey MahoganyCurls

So I tried the HEHH and that worked great, but I was strolling through the hair aisle at my local supermarket and they had HE on sale so I picked up a bottle of HE TT. I luv luv luved the results of the HE TT, so thanks for that suggestion. I'm also following the regimen u used to keep you twa moisturized in the morning and evening and I'm loving it. Super simple but effective. I'm sure I'll be bugging you again in the new future [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for taking the time to do what you do.

God Bless!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 20th February 2010, 4:59 am

newcurlieque wrote:Hey MahoganyCurls

So I tried the HEHH and that worked great, but I was strolling through the hair aisle at my local supermarket and they had HE on sale so I picked up a bottle of HE TT. I luv luv luved the results of the HE TT, so thanks for that suggestion. I'm also following the regimen u used to keep you twa moisturized in the morning and evening and I'm loving it. Super simple but effective. I'm sure I'll be bugging you again in the new future [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for taking the time to do what you do.

God Bless!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That is awesome! Thanks hun!!!!!! I love HE TT too! The smell is amazing! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 24th February 2010, 3:35 pm

MC, I have heard ppl talking about conditioner and water mixes that they use to spray their hair with. Is this used a leave-in, to revive curls or to condition hair without ruining a style? To make this would I use a leave-in conditioner or a regular wash-out conditioner.

Lastly, I like to try to exercise on a regualr basis, but I dont want to have to wet/co-wash/rinse my hair everyday because I'll have to re-do my hair (trying to reduce manipulation). Any tips?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 24th February 2010, 5:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:MC, I have heard ppl talking about conditioner and water mixes that they use to spray their hair with. Is this used a leave-in, to revive curls or to condition hair without ruining a style? To make this would I use a leave-in conditioner or a regular wash-out conditioner.

Lastly, I like to try to exercise on a regualr basis, but I dont want to have to wet/co-wash/rinse my hair everyday because I'll have to re-do my hair (trying to reduce manipulation). Any tips?

Hi! I never tried the conditioner water mix. But it think it is used as both. I guess it depends on how your hair looks that day, and If you want to use it as a leave in or a curl reviver (sp?). I think ppl use a regular rinsing conditioner with the water. The water dilutes the regular conditioner making it a great leave in/spritzer.

*I usually leave regular conditioner in my hair but i do not rinse it out...

I exercise regulary..yoga 5x a week and cardio 3x a week. I only cowash once a week. I do not sweat really hard. So I think you will be fine with a weekly cowash if that is what you want to do. But remember everyone hair is different.

HTH!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 25th February 2010, 12:48 am

MC, okay. I think I'll try the water conditioner mix, no harm in trying. Right now I have the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo-n-Conditioner mix, and the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, I've been reading that sulphates are bad for the hair but alot of ppl on CN use HE HH and it has sulphates..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 25th February 2010, 3:33 am

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:MC, okay. I think I'll try the water conditioner mix, no harm in trying. Right now I have the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo-n-Conditioner mix, and the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, I've been reading that sulphates are bad for the hair but alot of ppl on CN use HE HH and it has sulphates..

I use the HE HH conditioner,but not the shampoo. It depends on how it makes your hair feel. If you do not notice any stripping or dryness, I would give it a shot. I just avoid sulfates, bc it drys the crap out of my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LuxLocsnCurls 25th February 2010, 4:02 am

Hey Nikki!
I'm in College right now, and I was natural for four years and then had a product issue which ended up perming my hair this past summer (ugh!!). Now Im 22 and I'm probably going to be moving to London when I graduate to get my MPH, and trying to start the natural journey over again.
I'm not married, no kids or anything, but I would like a support base to help me though my transition, but this time I want to be even MORE healthy-using healthy leave ins, perhaps henna (I dont know much about it), I just want healthy healthy natural hair.
LuxLocsnCurls
LuxLocsnCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 25th February 2010, 1:57 pm

Hello MC! I've been following your channel and fotki for a few months and I have a quick question(s) for ya! Well, 1st let me just say that I love your channel and it has helped me out a lot and gave me the courage to continue on my natural journey. I transitioned from May 09' -Feb 10' and BC'd on 2/10 spur of the moment and had no clue what to do. So I panic I wasn't prepared at all but that's a different story. But since then my hair has come a long way. But my question is.....How long did it take for your curls to become more defined? And my hair is soooooo dry, what is the best solution for this? Ok, I have one more ques....the front left side of my hair is straight and doesn't do anything, what does that mean? Is there something I can do?

Thanks in advance! Keep up the good work.....we need it!
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by LeleGriff 28th February 2010, 4:07 pm

MC

I just love your hair! I BC'D 1/20/2010 and my hair was very dry. I have been using your method of cowash and condish but it's winter now and i can't get rid of this cold. What else can I do with a TWA to look fly and not wet my hair?
LeleGriff
LeleGriff

http://public.fotki.com/Naturalele/

Back to top Go down

Post by sunbaby 1st March 2010, 3:08 pm

MC,

Just dropping in to thank you!! I have been using your water, conditioner and oil method for the last 5 days and I think my hair LOVES it! I am using HEHH, olive oil and then coconut oil. At some point later in the day, I use a little KBB hair cream. It's winter and my TWA was parched. I haven't tried any gel yet b/c I am happy with these results so far. My hair feels soft and fluffy, just the way I like it.

Thank you for sharing your tips on CN and youtube. I have watched most of your vids and they are very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sunbaby
sunbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 5th March 2010, 10:20 am

LuxLocsnCurls wrote:Hey Nikki!
I'm in College right now, and I was natural for four years and then had a product issue which ended up perming my hair this past summer (ugh!!). Now Im 22 and I'm probably going to be moving to London when I graduate to get my MPH, and trying to start the natural journey over again.
I'm not married, no kids or anything, but I would like a support base to help me though my transition, but this time I want to be even MORE healthy-using healthy leave ins, perhaps henna (I dont know much about it), I just want healthy healthy natural hair.

Hi!
Congrats on your decision to transition! We are definitely here to help you! I am not sure if you were directing your information to Nikki or MahoganyCurls. But we are glad you are here! Good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 5th March 2010, 10:20 am

sunbaby wrote:MC,

Just dropping in to thank you!! I have been using your water, conditioner and oil method for the last 5 days and I think my hair LOVES it! I am using HEHH, olive oil and then coconut oil. At some point later in the day, I use a little KBB hair cream. It's winter and my TWA was parched. I haven't tried any gel yet b/c I am happy with these results so far. My hair feels soft and fluffy, just the way I like it.

Thank you for sharing your tips on CN and youtube. I have watched most of your vids and they are very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Awww! Thank you! I am so happy to hear that! Yay! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 5th March 2010, 10:32 am

NewlyNina wrote:Hello MC! I've been following your channel and fotki for a few months and I have a quick question(s) for ya! Well, 1st let me just say that I love your channel and it has helped me out a lot and gave me the courage to continue on my natural journey. I transitioned from May 09' -Feb 10' and BC'd on 2/10 spur of the moment and had no clue what to do. So I panic I wasn't prepared at all but that's a different story. But since then my hair has come a long way. But my question is.....How long did it take for your curls to become more defined? And my hair is soooooo dry, what is the best solution for this? Ok, I have one more ques....the front left side of my hair is straight and doesn't do anything, what does that mean? Is there something I can do?

Thank you! And congrats on your BC!!!! Well, my curls are pretty defined in its natural state. If you are asking when did i notice them, I will say about 2 weeks after my BC they started to come in..before my hair was stick straight! Lol! When you first BC your hair will be extremely dry. I too had this issue. All I would do is wet it and leave in conditoner everyday, until i felt a decrease in dryness, oh and I would also seal with oil. That was pretty much it. Water will be your best friend the first couple of months with a TWA.

Now, since you have noticed that the front left side of your hair is straight it could be 2 things:
A. you have relaxed hair left
B. That is the way your hair is...

I had this problem as well (and still do) and I thought it was relaxed hair...well, I realized that this is the way my hair grow in that area. The longer it got, it curled a little more, now the curls are VERY lose/Wavy...this is my 3B hair type area (I hate it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol!) but I just deal with it. I say, just keep styling it if you feel it is not relaxed hair, it should curl eventually...you can also wet that section, add a little product and take your finger to coil it...basically twirling your finger around the strand creating a curl...see if that works...that should help blend your hair...HTH and good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Thanks in advance! Keep up the good work.....we need it!

LeleGriff wrote:MC

I just love your hair! I BC'D 1/20/2010 and my hair was very dry. I have been using your method of cowash and condish but it's winter now and i can't get rid of this cold. What else can I do with a TWA to look fly and not wet my hair?

Awww! that sucks! Congrats on your BC! Well, i bc'd in the winter too, and i just wore a wash n go everyday. I couldnt do much bc it was soooooooooooooooooo short...how long is your TWA? If you really do not have any styling options you can always try to diffuse your hair on low heat or cool air before you leave the house. That way you will not walk outside with open pores in the cold air.

OR

You can wear a wig, really cute hats or scarves. I am not really into wigs so that wasnt an option for me. I just did the wash n go everyday...I hope this helps a little [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you and good luck!

Jess
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 5th March 2010, 11:07 am

Thxs MC! I really appreciate it! And congrats on becoming a blogger for NC.com!
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by rnewsome 7th March 2010, 6:16 am

hello ladies,
love this website. found out about it 1hr ago. first of I am from Ghana(West Africa), do not let anyone fool you, the weather is lovely. i am in las vegas now and the weather is merciless. my hair is breaking, i really need some tips for my nappy hair, did the big BC last year n a half, when i started grad school. it was a bit awkward for me, but the then i got some great responses. run into some problems at work though( one of my supervisors made a racist comment aboout my hair) said i looked like "buckwheat". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Had to write this long elaborate letter to the HR about rights, and "bad hair" sterotype. in the end he almost got the axe. either ways, i love my hair, i have 4a and as near as i can tell it looks like OOOPs hair(love the doo she has on) but 3inches longer.
Well i need a new hair regiment, summer is fast approaching and i need a deep conditioning approach for my hair. something drastic like egg n avocados and coconut milk( not sure if that is really a regiment, or how it works hmmmm). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ok ladies please let me know what to do. so far i hav been using the Miss jessie's products but i recently switched to KCCC, leaves my hiar with dry flakes so i am not sure how long this routine will last.
NEED HELP. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rnewsome
rnewsome

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 7th March 2010, 7:52 am

rnewsome wrote:hello ladies,
love this website. found out about it 1hr ago. first of I am from Ghana(West Africa), do not let anyone fool you, the weather is lovely. i am in las vegas now and the weather is merciless. my hair is breaking, i really need some tips for my nappy hair, did the big BC last year n a half, when i started grad school. it was a bit awkward for me, but the then i got some great responses. run into some problems at work though( one of my supervisors made a racist comment aboout my hair) said i looked like "buckwheat". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Had to write this long elaborate letter to the HR about rights, and "bad hair" sterotype. in the end he almost got the axe. either ways, i love my hair, i have 4a and as near as i can tell it looks like OOOPs hair(love the doo she has on) but 3inches longer.
Well i need a new hair regiment, summer is fast approaching and i need a deep conditioning approach for my hair. something drastic like egg n avocados and coconut milk( not sure if that is really a regiment, or how it works hmmmm). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ok ladies please let me know what to do. so far i hav been using the Miss jessie's products but i recently switched to KCCC, leaves my hiar with dry flakes so i am not sure how long this routine will last.
NEED HELP. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi!
Wow! Well, congrats on your decsion to go natural! The supervisor was wrong for that comment...uggh! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You did the right thing handling that situation.

Well, you have check out youtube for hair tutorials and regimens along with older post on this and threads? You will learn so much. It may be overwhelming at first but you will LOVE it!

KCCC (Kinky curly) has glycerine in it, and it may be drying your hair right now (how is the weather in Vegas now? If it is cold, it may not be the best product to use right now.) Most natural avoid glycerine based products in the winter bc glycerine draws moisture out of the air and put it in your hair. If the air is dry, the glycerine will dry the moisture out of your hair making it dry. I am pretty sure the weather in Vegas is pretty dry.

With a TWA you pretty much can only wear wash n gos if your hair is too short to twist. Deep coditioning is awesome and is a great thing to do all year for your tresses.

Try to look for conditioners that are moisturizing. This will be best for you since your hair is dry. Most moisturizing conditioners say, nourishing, moisturizing, hydrating, conditioning, etc...

Protein conditioners may cause dryness so avoid those...most of the time a conditioner or product with protein will say strengthening.

You can even use a cheap conditioner such as V05 (moisturizing) and add your favorite oil to it, I usually use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and let it sit on your hair for 25-30+ minutes (the time is up to you) and rinse. Your hair should become very soft after a few applications. Remember you have to be consistent with products in order to see the best results.

You can also make your own deep conditioning recipes for your hair...

A lot of naturals use Avocado mixed with honey and olive oil

You will need:
1 avocado
1tbs of honey
1tbs of EVOO

Mix all the ingredients in a blender until it is nice and creamy...apply to hair..cover for 30 minutes (you can sit under dryer if you want)...rinse with warm not hot water..hot water dries your hair..and your hair should be soft..remember results vary from person to person...but you can do that 1x a week.

www.naturallycurly.com has a hair recipe section with DIY hair recipes click here for the link.

I hope this helps

Also I would seal my hair with oil check out this video: (I made it last year)

Here are some very helpful sites:

Www.curlynikki.com (The main site, you are in the CN forum) This site is AMAZING!
www.naturallycurly.com This is a great site for newbies, I am still learning things from NC.com
www.youtube.com Just type in Natural hair and you will get sooooooooooo many natural hair videos from beautiful naturals with many different hair types
www.honeybrownsugar.com Great blog! Wes is awesome

www.youtube.com/user/MahoganyCurls my youtube channel
www.youtube.com/user/sheacocoaluv she is a great TWA Youtube with type 4 hair
www.youtube.com/user/lethalpleazure another great type 4 youtuber with a TWA she is also here in the CN community...just go to the butter-n-bars thread and look for lethalpleazure.
www.youtube.com/user/nikkimae2003- here hair is awesome as well
www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube- You will absolutely love her channel!

Hope this helps! Good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by MahoganyCurls on 7th March 2010, 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 7th March 2010, 7:55 am

NewlyNina wrote:Thxs MC! I really appreciate it! And congrats on becoming a blogger for NC.com!

Thank you!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by rnewsome 7th March 2010, 6:54 pm

WOW, talk about info. i love this web site. thank you. after looking at all the links i am in love. thank you so much. the weather out here is dry, and it is only going to get dryer, so i think i should put down the KCCC. what product do you recommend i use for a ry weather/ i get is no protein based conditioners, what would you use for a deep conditioner(something i can use once a month) and what would you recommend i use every time i wash?
would MIss jessie be better for a dry weather or KCC with fortified moisturizer.?
PS how do i post a pic of my hair on thsi website? need everyoe to know what my hair looks like. it is almost below my houlders when streched but it keeps on breaking.
will definately transition to the more organinc route though. Thank a bunch and look forward to your response
rnewsome
rnewsome

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 14th March 2010, 7:33 pm

I bc'd feb 16 since then i noticed that we are a bit of hair twins my hair is about the same length as well. I seem to be having problems with twist and box braids it seems as thought they don't hold in my hair. My question is what is some of your staple styles and how do you maintain you twist. Also what are some of the thing you do to help keep your hair moisturized. Now I know just because our hair maybe similar that the things that work for you may not work for me but I at least want to try. Thanks !
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 14th March 2010, 7:46 pm

rnewsome wrote:WOW, talk about info. i love this web site. thank you. after looking at all the links i am in love. thank you so much. the weather out here is dry, and it is only going to get dryer, so i think i should put down the KCCC. what product do you recommend i use for a ry weather/ i get is no protein based conditioners, what would you use for a deep conditioner(something i can use once a month) and what would you recommend i use every time i wash?
would MIss jessie be better for a dry weather or KCC with fortified moisturizer.?
PS how do i post a pic of my hair on thsi website? need everyoe to know what my hair looks like. it is almost below my houlders when streched but it keeps on breaking.
will definately transition to the more organinc route though. Thank a bunch and look forward to your response

You're welcome!
Well, you regimen will be up to you and your hair needs. I just cowash 1x a week with v05 conditioner or suave naturals. I also deep codition with it as well and i will add a little extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to it. You can use a conditioner of your choice though. I just use those or bc they are cheap and work just as well in my opinion. I feel the oil gives it a little boost [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I never used miss jessie's so i am not sure how that product will work. I have heard it is best to use miss jessies products over a moisturizer though. But just try a few regimens and techniques, along with products and see what work for you, because everyone hair is different. You can get a lot of great ideas from other YouTubers. I hope this helps! HHG! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 14th March 2010, 7:52 pm

Ameenah wrote:I bc'd feb 16 since then i noticed that we are a bit of hair twins my hair is about the same length as well. I seem to be having problems with twist and box braids it seems as thought they don't hold in my hair. My question is what is some of your staple styles and how do you maintain you twist. Also what are some of the thing you do to help keep your hair moisturized. Now I know just because our hair maybe similar that the things that work for you may not work for me but I at least want to try. Thanks !

Congrats on your BC! Well twists and braids (plaits) arent my forte as well. I can twist my hair but I have horrible twistouts and braidouts! BC my hair is so fine and the twistouts and braidouts stretches my hair to the point it where it will look relaxed! Uggh! Not a good look. So I just gave up on those. I do twist my hair and plait it, and I just pin them back if I do not want to manipulate my hair during the week...I maintain them by pinning them back and covering my hair with a satin scarf or bonnet. I just moisturize my hair 1x a week using a regular conditioner and I will seal with EVOO or virgin coconut oil (this is if my hair is twisted).

If i am wearing a wash n go, i wet it everyday ..I will leave conditoner in it the first and spritz it second day if i do not feel like getting it wet in the shower.

HTH!

There is a link to my thread if you would like to check it out, i update it daily about what is going on with my hair, regimen, etc! (Butter-n-Bars)

Thank you! And Congrats! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next