CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braids for length

+2
NaturallyInspired
Amy V.
6 posters

Go down

Braids for length Empty Braids for length

Post by Amy V. 22nd June 2010, 7:24 pm

so my box braids have only been in for (almost) 2 weeks now and i'm really anxious to see my real hair again. two things make me keep them in: i paid money for them AND i want to get the maximum benefit from them as a protective style... So... how much length have you gained/retained from having braids in? over what period of time? BTW, i plan to keep mine in for 2 months
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Braids for length Empty Re: Braids for length

Post by NaturallyInspired 22nd June 2010, 11:45 pm

Two Months is the best time to keep your braids in. Check out the Crown and Glory Method at Growafrohairlong.com it will tell you exactly how to take care of them. Good luck!
NaturallyInspired
NaturallyInspired

http://futuremillionairessdiaries.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 23rd June 2010, 10:42 am

I actually kept my braids in for one whole semester before (from mid August til 1st week of December)..yea I know nasty lol! However, I did make sure to wash them and keep my hair healthy. Once I took them out I noticed that my hair had grown soooo much. Maybe up to 2 1/2 inches or so. After that I had a small afro and I decided to go ahead and chop off the remaining relaxed ends (which werent much at all). Just make sure to keep your braids clean and don't leave them in long like I did..I'm cheap and I didnt want to pay the braid shop another $150 to braid my hair hehe!

Good luck!

Also check in your local beauty supply store for braid spray and shea butter to moisture your natural hair.
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 30th June 2010, 12:26 pm

I have only kept braids in for 6 weeks. As long as you are moisturizing, dcing, oiling your scalp, and the actual braids you should be able to get around an inch or more. But your hair is growing regardless, remember the key in braids is being able to retain the hair (the end especially). It is pointless to grow it out and then have split ends! so MOISTURIZE chica!!!!!!!! HHG
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 5th July 2010, 4:58 pm

Check out a new challenge I'm starting with the Crown & Glory Technique-- the braids regimen! Just in time for school this fall. I want to strengthen and grow and I know you do too! Look it up in the Natural Hair Challenges section!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Braids for length Empty Box Braids for Amy V.

Post by krys419 5th July 2010, 5:21 pm

Amy V. wrote:so my box braids have only been in for (almost) 2 weeks now and i'm really anxious to see my real hair again. two things make me keep them in: i paid money for them AND i want to get the maximum benefit from them as a protective style... So... how much length have you gained/retained from having braids in? over what period of time? BTW, i plan to keep mine in for 2 months
I have had boxbraids about 7 times or more in my life. This is what I advise only because I KNOW.

ONE Check your edges and make sure there is only a small amount of synthetic hair attached. I just had individuals (box braids without the boxes) for the 1st time and the girl made my edges fall out from braids too heavy. Don't let it happen to you.
TWO I have never washed my braids. That is best. There are tiny knots at the roots and when you wet them they matte up. If you must, you may use "no water shampoo"
THREE Spray braids with braid spray once or twice a week only. Do not use mousse or oils as they cause buildup.
FOUR Keep braids wrapped at night to prevent the ends of your hair that stick out from getting split.
FIVE I have had braids anywhere from 2 months to 6 months. For keeping hair if you do not redo it the longest is 2 months. My last braids were kept in for 2 months for teh first time and I experienced no matting or anything. 2 months is defintely best. 3 months is fine if you redo the three rows around ears, front and back every 3 weeks since that area has the most body oil and most matting. If you do 6 months you should wash every 2 months and make sure hair is thoroughly dry and redo 3 rows every 3 weeks or so and also use the braid spray less frequently (once a week or once every 10 days). I've never redone the braids and ended up with severe buildup and knots in those 3 rows.
SIX When you take down braids no real need for conditioner since hair should be nicely conditioned from braidspray. Make sure everything is detangled starting from bottom to top. If there is a tangle or knot from dead hair just pull your hairs slowly from the knot.
SEVEN My hair in general grows a half inch a month (when straightened, not curly/kinky.) Braids don't cause any more hair growth, but it is good to prevent touching the hair, just make sure you cover hair at night. If hair is damaged you should get a trim either before or after since braids are hard on hair sometimes. I think trims are better before, but I do mine after. If doing a long braid session like 6 months I suggest a trim to get rid of all the damage first, then a small dusting after take down

Be blessed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down