CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length

+7
Peachtree
ucarroll
MsLizziA
Amaspiritartist
PyreFli42
dajewel
QuietButterfly
11 posters

Go down

Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length Empty Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length

Post by QuietButterfly 27th January 2010, 5:35 pm

Has anyone experienced dramatic hair growth after going natural?? How long was your hair when you were a permed girl compared to now that you're a natural girl??

I ask this question because my hair was longer when I was permed, and I'm just confused as to why it won't grow anymore. It seems like it hasn't grown in a few years now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm about to try the "no manipulation" method and see if that helps, cause i do like to play in it alot these days [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] so maybe keeping my hands out of it would be better.

Anywho......let me know about your differences in hair length ladies!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length Empty Re: Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length

Post by dajewel 27th January 2010, 7:28 pm

permed hair looks longer because the constant application of the relaxer gradually straightens the hair (and strip the outer layer to make it look like your hair is naturally changing colors).

generally, ur hair doesn't grow any faster or slower; if you have a healthy scalp in both situations your hair will grow at the same pace. the difference is the amount of hair manipulation and conditioning, moisturizing and sealing. you tend to do more manipulation with permed hair because you are constantly blow drying and heat styling. you tend to do less moisturizing with permed hair on the daily because you are afraid to get the hair wet/weighed down with product (which makes it difficult to heat style). thus, explains why permed hair tends to break-off. hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length Empty Re: Permed hair length vs. Natural hair length

Post by PyreFli42 27th January 2010, 11:57 pm

My hair seems to grow at the same rate with the same cycles as when I was relaxed.

Like Dajewel said, I think it's all about the haircare, which can affect both your hair and you perception of it. Personally, though, I tend to have trouble maintaining length because I love cutting my hair! I tend to hover around shoulder length, relaxed and natural, because that's how long I can wait before cutting it off (but I'm trying to curb myself this year).

Also, if you don't straighten your hair, it can be more difficult to notice your growth as well--not necessarily an endorsement of straightening, but just something I noticed with my own hair. Although if you're talking years, that's probably not the issue.
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

http://public.fotki.com/pyrefli42/

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaspiritartist 7th February 2010, 5:43 pm

It is harder for your hair to show length when it is natural due to shrinkage and just the fact that its curly...

Relax...no stress...
Amaspiritartist
Amaspiritartist

http://www.amajewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLizziA 11th February 2010, 1:28 am

I personally think my hair grows faster natural. Only because i have had a perm since i was 11 and i know the difference. While it grew fast when i had a perm, not that its natural, my growth has sky rocekted!
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ucarroll 15th February 2010, 9:15 pm

I tend to agree with quietbutterfly.. My hair growth was extremely apparent when my hair was relaxed. I have been a tad depressed since my hair has been natural in that it seems not to be growing as fast as it used to. I have only been natural a little over a year. I will admit when I did blow dry it after about 11/12 month time period.....this made a huge difference. My hair has unimaginable shrinkage!!! My hair doubles in length!

With all that said- I do believe deep down my hair grows faster with a relaxer, but I am so glad to have stepped away from the "creamy crack". I think my ends are not has healthy as they should be and I could use more moisture, protective styling, and patience. I think I will keep all of this in mind, as should you and do a 6 month "wait and see". Lets share results then.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ucarroll
ucarroll

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 26th March 2010, 3:22 am

Mine grew at the same pace. I retain more length now that I'm natural because I don't use curlers, crimpers, etc. Once I started a healthy hair regimen (while still relaxed) I began to retain the same amount of length (then) as I do now....hope that makes sense, lol.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by kim 5th April 2010, 3:44 am

Natural hair can be really deceptive where its true length is concerned. This weekend I did my first bentonite clay cleanse. When I applied it my hair was stretched to mid back length but after washing it shrunk to my ears. My hair was mid back length 2 years ago before I chopped it. From this I can say that my hair is growing at the same pace as when it was relaxed.
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 6th April 2010, 12:05 am

I always thought that the hair will grow the same regardless of whether it's relaxed or not. But I think you are more likely to retain length when your hair is natural and it is properly cared for. By the time my relaxed ends got to certain point, they were done.

Last edited by swoodward on 6th April 2010, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by keeboo 7th April 2010, 9:54 pm

It'll grow the same, more so based on health and hair care. Also try to wear more protective styles and wash hair in braids.

Last edited by keeboo on 9th April 2010, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
keeboo
keeboo

http://pettybo.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 7th April 2010, 11:23 pm

my natural hair stretched is at my longest I achieved when relaxed, right now... i seem some what stuck here--- is this as long as my hair will grow? Time will tell.
For now I'm trying to take as best care as possible.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 8th April 2010, 12:24 am

maybe you hit a resting phase? You have lovely hair. Try to be patient...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 9th April 2010, 6:49 pm

Thanks ladies for all the advice and comments. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@swoodward - Thank you!! I'm now practicing patience lol

Since my first post, I've calmed down lol, and started wearing my hair in protective styles. I've been doing the dry twists ala PrettyDimples01 (from Youtube), I keep those in for about 2 weeks, twist it out for about a week, then retwist and start the cycle again.

I just retwisted my hair on Monday and when I blow dried it this time, it did seem a little longer [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] so I'm going to continue on with my protective styling and taking good care of my hair and hopefully I'll see even more progress in the months to come.
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 10th April 2010, 1:17 am

sure.

And you really have lovely hair! I can't wait until I can try that style!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down