CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc.

+6
naturallyme09
preciouslady
mizcreativelyme
Ebbz
LadyMika
PanaR3dd
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc. Empty crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc.

Post by Guest 30th November 2010, 2:13 pm

i've seen some videos on youtube about crochet braids and yarn braids and dread extensions and i was interested in trying something; especially the dread extensions or the crochet braids (which look like ALOT of work lol) Smile ....has anybody tried any of these styles and how long do they stay in?? btw what kind of hair do u buy for dreadlock extensions or silk wrap dreads (whatever they're called) and what kind of hair for crochet braids??

Back to top Go down

crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc. Empty Re: crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc.

Post by PanaR3dd 30th November 2010, 3:10 pm

well i've done yarn braids & i love them but they are a bit time consuming but i think im going to install some really soon..but i have crochets in my hair now also my avi pic..love it!! it didnt take that long either once you get the hang of it goes fast & smooth..it was my first time so it took me about 3 hrs..i have had my crochets in for about 3 weeks now still looks nice bt im probably going to take them out this weekend..i only used a 1 1/2 pks of hair..
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc. Empty Re: crochet braids, yarn braids, dread extensions, etc.

Post by Guest 30th November 2010, 8:03 pm

o ok..thas wussup; yea i knew u hate crochets whenever i seen ur pic Smile i like the way crochet braids looks and i might try to do some for myself when my hair gets longer; where do u get the crochet needle from?

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 30th November 2010, 9:14 pm

u can usually get the needle from any beauty supply store
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st December 2010, 6:43 pm

ok well ty; nobody really responded on this and it's alot of ppl who are wearing one of these three or have worn one of these three lol, but glad i got some feedback Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 2nd December 2010, 4:00 pm

I'm actually wearing yarn braids right now...just haven't had the time to take pictures or update my CSJ about it. BUT, if you go back a bit in my CSJ, I do post about wearing, installing, and taking care of them. I followed the same technique that BlackOnyx77 from YouTube used. They'll last me about a month before they start to look "furry", and even then, they still look fresh.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 2nd December 2010, 6:16 pm

I just took some yarn braids out. And like Lady Mika said, I followed BlackOnyx77's method on youtube. I left mine in for about 5 weeks and I washed them twice with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine shampoo. They do take a while to put in but they can last you a long time and they are easy to maintain and style. I will probably put some back in before the winter is over. My hair grew a lot while it was in the braids as well which was a great plus!
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd December 2010, 12:41 am

wow...i just watched a tutorial on youtube w/ BlackOnyx77 the one y'all were talking about and i looooovvvveee the way her yarn braids look and it's VERY neat!! i might try this until my hair gets longer; idk, but i know i will be itching to get them done b/c i don't have a lick of patience lol, but i think i am going to try this b/c it probably will last for a while, they are easy to style and they are cute....plus, my hair needs to grow out more and braids does help my hair grow....ty ladies for the feedback, it is MUCH APPRECIATED~ Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 8th December 2010, 11:33 pm

PanaR3dd wrote:well i've done yarn braids & i love them but they are a bit time consuming but i think im going to install some really soon..but i have crochets in my hair now also my avi pic..love it!! it didnt take that long either once you get the hang of it goes fast & smooth..it was my first time so it took me about 3 hrs..i have had my crochets in for about 3 weeks now still looks nice bt im probably going to take them out this weekend..i only used a 1 1/2 pks of hair..

@Pana...l'm really feelin' your crochet style. That is nice! I have seen that done on the tube but haven't attempted yet. In my opinion, crochet's are the least time consuming protective style I've seen - it's inexpensive, stylish, lasts for a while, and very low/no maintenance. You did a great job.
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 9th December 2010, 2:00 am

For those of you who had the yarn braids, did you have little white looking patches of hair showing in the braids? The reason I asked was because I did a set of yarn braids for the first time. I also followed BlackOnyx77's method. I parted my hair very small and it took several days. But some of my hair showed through the braids and it looked like little white/gray patches. I think that's because the yarn was jet black and my hair is not. Anyway, I am in the process of redoing my braids with a different brand of yarn which had the same properties as Super Heart yarn(I think that's the name of it). The only difference was it was much softer, it cost a few cents more and it was kind of a black/brown color, which matched my hair perfectly! I saw another youtuber complaining about the little white looking patches of hair as well. Has anyone else experienced this?
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 9th December 2010, 3:23 am

Little white patches? I've NEVER had that problem before. Shocked I've always used the Bernat Super Value yarn, simply because that's what the craft store sold. I even used Lion Heart Brand acrylic yarn, and had a good turn out with that--no white patches or anything like that.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 9th December 2010, 4:26 am

mizcreativelyme wrote:
PanaR3dd wrote:well i've done yarn braids & i love them but they are a bit time consuming but i think im going to install some really soon..but i have crochets in my hair now also my avi pic..love it!! it didnt take that long either once you get the hang of it goes fast & smooth..it was my first time so it took me about 3 hrs..i have had my crochets in for about 3 weeks now still looks nice bt im probably going to take them out this weekend..i only used a 1 1/2 pks of hair..

@Pana...l'm really feelin' your crochet style. That is nice! I have seen that done on the tube but haven't attempted yet. In my opinion, crochet's are the least time consuming protective style I've seen - it's inexpensive, stylish, lasts for a while, and very low/no maintenance. You did a great job.

thank you!!!& yes i loved them..they were def a shake & go style..go ahead & do them.. im sure u'll love the outcome..im all about bargain hairstyles that look fly lol
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 10th December 2010, 1:32 am

LadyMika wrote:Little white patches? I've NEVER had that problem before. Shocked I've always used the Bernat Super Value yarn, simply because that's what the craft store sold. I even used Lion Heart Brand acrylic yarn, and had a good turn out with that--no white patches or anything like that.

Well maybe not exactly white patches but my hair looked a little ashy (grayish color) with the jet black yarn. Anyway I fixed the problem by changing to another type of Acrylic yarn that matches my hair color perfectly.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th December 2010, 6:17 pm

i appreciate all the feedback everyone Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 12th December 2010, 6:47 pm

preciouslady wrote:
LadyMika wrote:Little white patches? I've NEVER had that problem before. Shocked I've always used the Bernat Super Value yarn, simply because that's what the craft store sold. I even used Lion Heart Brand acrylic yarn, and had a good turn out with that--no white patches or anything like that.

Well maybe not exactly white patches but my hair looked a little ashy (grayish color) with the jet black yarn. Anyway I fixed the problem by changing to another type of Acrylic yarn that matches my hair color perfectly.

I know what you mean (hair shows through when the hair and yarn doesn't match). I have thought about trying yarn braids myself but I noticed that if the color of the yarn and your hair doesn't blend well the difference is noticeable. Realizing this deterred me from trying yarn braids because my hair is dark brown. What brand of yarn/color did you use?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 13th December 2010, 12:11 am

naturallyme09 wrote:
preciouslady wrote:

I know what you mean (hair shows through when the hair and yarn doesn't match). I have thought about trying yarn braids myself but I noticed that if the color of the yarn and your hair doesn't blend well the difference is noticeable. Realizing this deterred me from trying yarn braids because my hair is dark brown. What brand of yarn/color did you use?

Yeah that's why I'm re-doing my yarn braids. The brand I have is Caron Simply Soft. I got it from Wal-Mart and it is a few cents more than the other brand I used but I didn't mind paying extra because it matched exactly. The color is black but once I put it in it looks like a really dark brown/black color. Anyway it's much softer and not as dull looking as the other brand. That's what I'll be using from now on.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 13th December 2010, 12:17 am

PanaR3dd wrote:
thank you!!!& yes i loved them..they were def a shake & go style..go ahead & do them.. im sure u'll love the outcome..im all about bargain hairstyles that look fly lol

@ PanaR3dd
What type of hair did you use? Did you have a problem when you tied it in a knot? Did they unravel? I just experimented with crochet braids on my sister. She had synthetic hair and some of the knots did not stay. Maybe it due to the type of hair she had. But your hair is pretty. I like the look and may try it on my own head one day but it's hard for me to cornrow my own hair.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 13th December 2010, 11:48 pm

preciouslady wrote:
naturallyme09 wrote:
preciouslady wrote:

Yeah that's why I'm re-doing my yarn braids. The brand I have is Caron Simply Soft. I got it from Wal-Mart and it is a few cents more than the other brand I used but I didn't mind paying extra because it matched exactly. The color is black but once I put it in it looks like a really dark brown/black color. Anyway it's much softer and not as dull looking as the other brand. That's what I'll be using from now on.

Thanks I will keep this brand in mind if I decide to try yarn braids. I'm glad you found your match.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 14th December 2010, 12:29 am

preciouslady wrote:
PanaR3dd wrote:

@ PanaR3dd
What type of hair did you use? Did you have a problem when you tied it in a knot? Did they unravel? I just experimented with crochet braids on my sister. She had synthetic hair and some of the knots did not stay. Maybe it due to the type of hair she had. But your hair is pretty. I like the look and may try it on my own head one day but it's hard for me to cornrow my own hair.

i just used some cheap BIBA hair..i had never heard of it but i refuse to pay a bunch of money for hair & it was the cheapest in the BSS lol..its 100% toyokalon Tan Tan braid so im pretty sure thats synthetic..No i had no problems with unraveling but i loop through then i knot..regardless of what you do after you knot its going to loosen up..but i think its easier the tighter the curl pattern of the hair because the looser hair does seem to unravel..i tried the freetress loose wave or something like that on my cousins hair & it was pretty but to keep from unraveling i had to do slip knots..THANK YOU!!!Girl you better get to practicing on those cornrows..i dont let anyone else cornrow my head..i like my edges & im trying to keep them..
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 15th December 2010, 8:10 pm

@ naturally me- Thanks and you're welcome. I'm glad I found a match as well.

@PanaR3dd- I don't know if I already told you but your hair looks good. You did a good job! I did the slip knots on my sister's hair and some still loosened up a little but it was fine because they didn't come out. I think it was just the type of hair she had. It was kinda wavy. I guess I better practice on cornrowing my own head. I've done it before but it wasn't neat at all. I'm just happy to know that I can do my own protective styles now instead of having to pay someone. I know what you mean about those edges! The last time I had kinky twists and let the africans do them, they were so tight that my edges broke off even more and they were already fragile! Mad Lesson learned and that's when I started looking for styles that I could do myself. Youtube has it all! bounce
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 16th December 2010, 11:06 pm

I've never had any of these styles but youtuber MsVcharles has had yarn braids before and she has a whole series of upkeep, cleaning, and a lot of cute styles for them.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 25th December 2010, 11:11 pm

curlista wrote:I've never had any of these styles but youtuber MsVcharles has had yarn braids before and she has a whole series of upkeep, cleaning, and a lot of cute styles for them.

I checked her out. She did have some cute styles. They were different than the other ones I've seen.
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 26th December 2010, 12:59 am

@preciouslady Yeah, I'd never seen any other naturals do cute, everyday styles. They are even work appropriate. Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 26th December 2010, 3:21 am

Glad I found this thread. PanaR3dd how long did it take you to do your crochet braids? They look cute! I watch a tutorial for them on YT but I didn't like how HUGE the girls hair ended up being. Any tips for making it a managable size, lol?

I was actually considering yarn braids too, and have off black/1B colored hair too. It never even crossed my mind that the yarn wouldn't match. Shocked Thanx for sharing the brand you used, Preciouslady!

I gotta come a to decision quick, I really need to get myself a protective style going...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by preciouslady 26th December 2010, 4:28 am

@ Curlista-I agree & I'm gonna have to try a few of those styles myself.

@ Tiff, you're welcome. I learned that if you do medium sized braids, the hair won't be as big. The back and sides of the head don't have to be filled in as much as the top. And instead of crocheting around a whole braid, you can crochet the outsides of the braid to fill in any gaps. I just recently did my sister's friend hair like that & it wasn't big at all. It even turned out better than when I did my sister's hair. I know you didn't ask for my input but I thought I'd just let you know what I've learned so far from my experiments! HTH
Smile hopefully you can make your decision soon & protect your hair from this freezing winter weather!
preciouslady
preciouslady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next