CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist Challenge Part 2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

+31
Beautifulyfe
TMS
Notthecoolmom
Buttercup76
BrownSkinDiva
natural813
Muz
Nikcoils
NhappyJackie
ChrsLvsBks
xtremelyperfect
dajewel
swoodward
coilylove
oooop2
CocoEuro
HappyCurly
deeply_rooted_chick
naturalhonney
Tahlove
TurquoizBlue
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
MomnWife
Lynnieluve
Maricopa
CurlsGalore
sweetdrk1
bholmes87
NylaCoils
Heart2Worship
35 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Twist Challenge Part 2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Twist Challenge Part 2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Post by Heart2Worship 18th May 2010, 3:21 pm

What's KNB?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Twist Challenge Part 2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Twist Challenge Part 2: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 3:39 pm

KBN

Koils By Nature - Haircare line of course....I want to try it so bad!!! I have to wait until July though [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 18th May 2010, 3:54 pm

Thanks. I am afraid to try anything that is "pricey" unless I can get my hand on some samples. I tried Carol's Daughter while transitioning and wasn't satisfied at all!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th May 2010, 5:41 pm

H2W KBN is not pricey at all..check her out. She also sells sample sizes.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 18th May 2010, 5:49 pm

Just checking in I'm in week four of this challenge. Nothing new and different from my avatar keeping it simple.
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 7:00 pm

Tahlove wrote:Hi everyone! All of you ladies' twists look wonderful. I took my hair down on Friday and did my very first henna...not too shabby. I then re-coiled on Sunday. Nothing spectacular. I'd love to learn how to do all the things you guys have been doing...I can't flat twist to save my life! Razz

Practice, practice, practice!!

Heart2Worship wrote:Thanks. I am afraid to try anything that is "pricey" unless I can get my hand on some samples. I tried Carol's Daughter while transitioning and wasn't satisfied at all!

I finally gave up on Carol's Daughter....I tried the Hair Milk..didnt care for the smell or the results. I also tried the Tui Smoothie. It just kinda sat on my hair and $20 for 4oz is just too much.

Now I love her body butters.

sweetdrk1 wrote:H2W KBN is not pricey at all..check her out. She also sells sample sizes.

I have to disagree with you on this Sweet. For the amount of product you get, she falls on the higher side of mid range.

That's one reason I hadnt tried it yet but after the great results everyone is getting and the fact that she is a "mom and pop" shop, I will try it in July (the next time I can purchase a new product).
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 18th May 2010, 7:16 pm

Heart2worship- She does sell sample sizes and a little goes a long way.

Lynnie- I also recommend the sample sizes to you, as well! She is always having some kind of sale.

Ladies, I have decided not to jump around. I have found what Nyla (my hair) likes- which is the KBN and I wont jump around anymore. PJ'ism is bad for my hair and for my purse :-)
That is my one piece of advice for new naturals..Find what works and stick to it.
Back in the day your mom used one grease- she didnt keep changing it up ya! That is one reason why I like this challenge! It reminds me of ole skool times. Wash hair on Friday night wear loose on Friday/Saturday. Saturday, sit down between my moms legs and get it rebraided til next Friday.
***steps off soapbox****
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 7:22 pm

Thanks NylaCoils!! I will definitely be trying the sample sizes before I purchase a big jar.

I couldnt agree with you more. It's best to stick to what your hair likes but if you do decide to venture out, make sure you compare the first 5 ingredients in the products your hair likes (got this from ChrsLvsBks), and make your purchases accordingly.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 18th May 2010, 8:41 pm

Great advice Nyla the challenge has made it so simple for me and the ole skool times were definitely the best for me and my sisters hair with the simple routine you described and our hair thrived!!! This is what we got just from washing and braiding and the three of us all had the same hair well my youngest sister Trina may she R.I.P. had the thickest so she cried the loudest lol My mom had the Angela Davis fro for real so that also accounts for all that hair on our heads!!

Yeah shrinkage existed back then too!! lol Trina is in the shorts and yes it was the thickest!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is me now trying to grow it all back after yrs of cutting it off didn't realize what a good thing I had going back then!
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 9:53 pm

NaturalHonney,

I love the shape of your hair!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 18th May 2010, 9:56 pm

Thanks Lynnie!!
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 18th May 2010, 10:29 pm

honey- real cute pic of you and your sis! :-) I am to embarrassed to pull out my ole school! lol
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 18th May 2010, 11:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm rocking a twist out today. I know I'm breaking the rules but I was getting ready to go out to dinner and most of my twist were going undone anyways. I'm frusturated I'm getting length so I want to make my twist thicker but they only go undone. Do I really have to make them smaller and take sooo much more time?...well I'm happy with the style! I'll keep it for a while.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 18th May 2010, 11:16 pm

Can we talk about the logistics of the twists? I've never worn my hair in twists but i'm thinking maybe i should.

y'all, your twists are so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

what do you put on hair and scalp to keep it moist? i mean, when i wear twists outs, the part where the part is, isn't so good. i mean, the scalp that hits the air gets dry and dandruff sooner, adn the rest of scalp looks healthy and moist. what do you put on scalp so it can handle more exposure? other parts in my scalp itch at times, i've been slower with coconut oil than normal, which may be why. the heat is melting the oil as it's in my hair so i use it less, mix it more with water now.

how do you wash your hair? I'm still transitioning, and am disliking having several detangling sessions. one time with conditioner in shower, one time before styling, since it got tangled agains somehow, even when i braid it or section it right after i detangled first time.

i would love to be able to wash my hair in twists, then maybe retwist one by one after it is clean and conditioned. less hair to be tangled. do i really have to re twist after wash conditioning? will twist come undone if i let shower hit them?

how long does it take to style twists in morning? the only thing i miss about relaxers is it took me thirty seconds in morning to style, i would just pull out the five rollers i had put in the ends of my hair.

did you do anything before twist challenge to get hair ready? i'm thinking of clipping my ends now. but i'm nervous to clip them since that means less to donate after bc. but i think it's been like two months since clipping and they are starting to look old. i just need to get some good hair scissors. i didn't see any that i wanted in sally's.

i saw someone post about kbb, can i put it on my scalp? I think i'm going to buy some. i've been trying to stick to products that i could eat, like olive oil, coconut oil, not too much stuff in my trader joes conditioner. i think the food industry has more rules than hair one, so that's why i'm going this natural food route. i'm scared to become such a pj that i mess up my hair, so that's why i haven't yet purchased kbb. i bought some conditioner once that had perfect ingredients but it broke my scalp out!!! so sad!!

but i am thinking hard that maybe my scalp in twists will need kbb??? or will plain jojoba oil from aubrey's be good too?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 11:48 pm

HappyCurly wrote:Can we talk about the logistics of the twists? I've never worn my hair in twists but i'm thinking maybe i should.

what do you put on hair and scalp to keep it moist? i mean, when i wear twists outs, the part where the part is, isn't so good. i mean, the scalp that hits the air gets dry and dandruff sooner, adn the rest of scalp looks healthy and moist. what do you put on scalp so it can handle more exposure? other parts in my scalp itch at times, i've been slower with coconut oil than normal, which may be why. the heat is melting the oil as it's in my hair so i use it less, mix it more with water now.

how do you wash your hair? I'm still transitioning, and am disliking having several detangling sessions. one time with conditioner in shower, one time before styling, since it got tangled agains somehow, even when i braid it or section it right after i detangled first time.

i would love to be able to wash my hair in twists, then maybe retwist one by one after it is clean and conditioned. less hair to be tangled. do i really have to re twist after wash conditioning? will twist come undone if i let shower hit them?

how long does it take to style twists in morning? the only thing i miss about relaxers is it took me thirty seconds in morning to style, i would just pull out the five rollers i had put in the ends of my hair.

did you do anything before twist challenge to get hair ready? i'm thinking of clipping my ends now. but i'm nervous to clip them since that means less to donate after bc. but i think it's been like two months since clipping and they are starting to look old. i just need to get some good hair scissors. i didn't see any that i wanted in sally's.

i saw someone post about kbb, can i put it on my scalp? I think i'm going to buy some. i've been trying to stick to products that i could eat, like olive oil, coconut oil, not too much stuff in my trader joes conditioner. i think the food industry has more rules than hair one, so that's why i'm going this natural food route. i'm scared to become such a pj that i mess up my hair, so that's why i haven't yet purchased kbb. i bought some conditioner once that had perfect ingredients but it broke my scalp out!!! so sad!!

but i am thinking hard that maybe my scalp in twists will need kbb??? or will plain jojoba oil from aubrey's be good too?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont know where to start with answering your questions. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th May 2010, 11:51 pm

deeply_rooted_chick wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm rocking a twist out today. I know I'm breaking the rules but I was getting ready to go out to dinner and most of my twist were going undone anyways. I'm frusturated I'm getting length so I want to make my twist thicker but they only go undone. Do I really have to make them smaller and take sooo much more time?...well I'm happy with the style! I'll keep it for a while.

At your currently length, yes you have to make your twist small if you want them to stay and not come undone.

Very cute twistout BTW!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 18th May 2010, 11:52 pm

Lynnie- you are cracking me up!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th May 2010, 12:07 am

HappyCurly wrote:Can we talk about the logistics of the twists? I've never worn my hair in twists but i'm thinking maybe i should.

Twist work a little different when you are not fully natural. Because of the relaxed ends, they will come undone. So a twist n curl would work better.

Now to answer some of your questions...

what do you put on hair and scalp to keep it moist? I spritz my scalp with my aloe spritz (organic aloe vera gel, water, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil) then I oil my scalp with my castor oil mix (castor oil, jojoba oil, tea tree oil) I do this on wash day to head off the itchies...it doesnt work as well if I wait until the itching starts.

how do you wash your hair? Because Roxie (my hair's name) tangles, I just revamped my wash routine. When I wash my hair, I will finger detangle only in the shower, then when I style I will detangle with my wide tooth comb. I was detangling in the shower, then would have to detangle again when I style.

will twist come undone if i let shower hit them? I've washed my hair once while my hair was still in twist and they didnt come undone but I'm not sure with transitioning hair.

how long does it take to style twists in morning? I love twist because you dont have to style them. If I plan to wear my twist down all week, I just take my scarf off before I get in the shower so the steam can hit em. And that's it. If I pin them up, I do it on wash day and let that way all week. So styling for me consist of my taking my scarf/bonnet off and Voila!

did you do anything before twist challenge to get hair ready? nope

i saw someone post about kbb, can i put it on my scalp? KBB has a jojoba hair oil...I have it in Luscious Pear....it smells so good. I use it to seal my ends but you can use it on your scalp too. Or you could use regular jojoba oil.

I hope this helps. BTW, there is another curly that is transitioning that is in the challenge. I hope she chimes in.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 19th May 2010, 9:37 am

Thank you Lynnie I just have to remember things takes patience.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 19th May 2010, 9:50 am

Thanks sweet, nyla, and lynnieluve for the insight on KBB. I checked out the site on yesterday, but I didn't see samples. I'll look again.

You ladies took me back with the back in the day hair routines! I hated those times, but you are absolutely right about how much our hair thrived during those times. I was a baldly as a baby, but over time my hair became super thick as a little as result of "hair day".

The idea of a routine for children today has completely gone out of the window! I tell you I just want to slap some of these parents to sleep for how jacked up their little girl's hair is sometimes! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Just a bunch of gel on the sides with a piece of a plaited pony tail standing up on top of that baby's hair. Oooo...
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 19th May 2010, 6:41 pm

npmoore pretty updo!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 19th May 2010, 8:27 pm

How many of you are wearing your twist for longer than 1 week before redoing??? Tomorrow will make 2wks in the same twist for me.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 19th May 2010, 8:40 pm

Wow! I put in my twists on this past Sat. (just joined the challenge) and can't wait until Sat to take these twists down. They are looking real fuzzy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . (it has been raining here in the east for several days now) so I pinned them down w/bobbie pins and going wear scarfs and a bb cap for the remainder of my work week. Idk, these twist only lasted for (2) days before they started looking frizzy and crazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol. Hopefully next week will be better for my twists.
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th May 2010, 9:06 pm

Maricopa wrote:Wow! I put in my twists on this past Sat. (just joined the challenge) and can't wait until Sat to take these twists down. They are looking real fuzzy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . (it has been raining here in the east for several days now) so I pinned them down w/bobbie pins and going wear scarfs and a bb cap for the remainder of my work week. Idk, these twist only lasted for (2) days before they started looking frizzy and crazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol. Hopefully next week will be better for my twists.

What products did you use to do your twist? I had that same problem the first two weeks of the challenge.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 19th May 2010, 9:17 pm

@Lynnieluve I used hh as my leave in and added my shea/coconut oil/EVO mixture. I also used JBCO to seal the ends. I wraped it at night with my satin scarf, thats it! Idk did I miss something because after the 2nd day it looked a hot mess [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next