CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up

+14
.:Eden:.
mizcreativelyme
Treece
crvng4mr
NewlyNina
CocoEuro
Lynnieluve
KinkyNappyHappy
priceless
sweetdrk1
krazy coils
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
NylaCoils
kinksncurls
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up - Page 4 Empty Re: kinksncurls ~ Still braided up

Post by kinksncurls 9th December 2010, 8:55 pm

Hey Nubbie,

Yes my hair is definitely thick. My husband's hair is thinning and he's constantly telling me if only he had a fraction of the hair I had on my head he would be happy. At the TWA comment lol! that's funny Smile I always lose that much hair, and I think I'm pretty gentle when it comes to detangling.

I've tried the qhemet AOHC and I really like it, but I prefer a whipped consistency I don't know why. I liked the moisture I received from it though. I thought I would try the burdock root creme which seems fluffier before deciding which one I really want to repurchase, but I really need Heavy products too so I'll probably end up sticking with the AOHC.

Do you happen to know of a really good leave in conditioner? I'm still trying to find one of those, I tried the giovanni direct leave in and it worked for a while but I'm looking for something better.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up - Page 4 Empty Re: kinksncurls ~ Still braided up

Post by kinksncurls 9th December 2010, 9:00 pm

Update on taliah wagid protective mist bodifier:

My braids are super soft! That stuff really works (even though it's messy as heck and difficult to get out of the bottle). I can't stop touching my braids because they feel super fluffy without being greasy. I'm going to have to give the product a few more tries before I decide whether it will be a good leave-in for when my hair is in braids, and really think about whether or not I want to deal with having to mix it, and then getting it to apply evenly through my hair since the spray bottle doesn't work.

Also I'm not sure how my scalp is going to react because my scalp is kind of itchy today and I'm not sure if its because of the product yet
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 12th December 2010, 6:46 pm

Update on Taliaah Wajid protective mist bodifier

So I ended up washing the product out of my hair. My scalp did not seem to like it, and while I thought my hair felt soft, my hubby thought my hair felt "greasy/ coated" and he didn't really like it. I often lay on him on the couch or he'll play in my hair :0) and he said he did not like the feeling.

I was kind of on the fence with the product but that was enough to make me decide that it's not for me. He also asked me "how come when you find a product that works you don't stick with it" *Busted* Embarassed. I told him I'm always on the search for something that moisturizes better and is cheaper at the same time which he completely did not understand.

*Sigh* I also did not really like the qhemet's burdock root creme. I'll probably try using it either as a pre-poo or a deep treatment. It was a bit too oily for me, which is weird because it's lighter than the AOHC. And I'll use of the remainder of the protective mist to take my braids down. I don't know...

I'll probably just stick to the shea moisture hair milk and the afroveda shea alma for a few weeks and see how my hair works.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 13th December 2010, 11:33 pm

Quick and easy styles I want to try:

The Doo
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14/kinksncurls-t4050-75.htm?highlight=kinksncurls

another up-do (with a hump in front)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZEewzCjYU

The cinnabun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8FdTTsSk4

natural hair updo - with pearls/ twists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apD9CXAE-Lw

There is so many things I want to try. I really want to do a blowout too. But I'm still looking for a job and braids ensure if I get a phone call tomorrow. I can just walk out the door and not have to worry about what to do with my hair

kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th December 2010, 4:37 pm

Hey KnC...

I've been MIA; I'll have to come back and catch up, but I wanted to stop by and say hi!!!

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 15th December 2010, 2:14 am

Hi kinksncurls! I agree with you there are so many hairstyles I want to try. I want to try a blowout as well, but I remembered Mahoghany Curls' roller set/silk wrap video. I think I want to do that first. I need some energy to do it though. check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCYeQMTcMo

good luck with finding a job.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 15th December 2010, 3:36 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey KnC...

I've been MIA; I'll have to come back and catch up, but I wanted to stop by and say hi!!!

Hey KnH Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Smile
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 15th December 2010, 3:39 am

Thinice wrote:Hi kinksncurls! I agree with you there are so many hairstyles I want to try. I want to try a blowout as well, but I remembered Mahoghany Curls' roller set/silk wrap video. I think I want to do that first. I need some energy to do it though. check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCYeQMTcMo

good luck with finding a job.

Hi Thinice-
Thanks for the video this is now going on my to try list Smile I really want to try a blow out too, I have just been kind of worried about heat damage, so maybe the roller set/ silk wrap will be the way to go. Although my hair is so much thicker than Mahoghany Curl's I'm not sure it will work (but I'm going to give it a try).
When I was little my mom used to blow dry my hair all the time and it was fine, so i'll probably try a blow out too and just see what happens

oh and thanks for the well wishes around finding a job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 15th December 2010, 3:47 am

Yes m'am, my hair is much thicker than Mahoghany Curls too. I hope it will work on my hair too. The thought of heat damage has me shaking in my boots. Let me know when you plan to try it. My mom could not do my hair, it became one of my sister's chores. She use to blow dry my hair too, but still...heat damage has me scared.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 15th December 2010, 3:08 pm

Ok I'll let you know when I try it. I'm have to get a new blow dryer first. Mine is pretty old and I want one with a comb attachment. I'll probably do it sometime in the new year around my one year mark in februrary. I'll pm you with the results when I do.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 21st December 2010, 12:00 am

So I'm back in my natural braids. I took out my last set using tresemme naturals conditioner and water (this stuff makes my 4 week old braids slip out and makes detangling a breeze). For some reason I do not like it as a co-wash conditioner though it leaves my hair feeling stiff.

I then deep conditioned with aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, washed with suave clarifying conditioner and decided to put in a new set of natural braids. I have a lot going on this month and needed a style that I could just get up and go with. These braids took 9 hours to put in, I was not happy No . The longer my hair gets the more bogged down I'm becoming with styling.

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up - Page 4 01411

I really don't like dealing with my hair loose at all. It doesn't matter if I wash and detangle in sections, whether I use a really good detangling conditioner, and band my hair while it is drying. My hair just seems to coil on itself and it makes it really hard to style. It is also so thick and dense that I've tried to do a few different updo's for easy styling and they just won't stay together. So I always end up coming back to braids because twists look nice, but I want to be able to get a few weeks out of my hair if I spend hours doing it. *Sigh*. The length of time I spend styling is becoming a problem for me.

I've been really contemplating getting locs and soon. I saw this woman with really beautiful locs. They were almost as small as sister locs but she said that her loctician started them from two strand twists but she sees a loctician regularly. She doesn't do any of her own re-tightening, and I don't want a style that has to be maintained by someone else. Part of being natural for me, is being free from the salons. The husband also said that if I got locs it would be WITHOUT his blessing
Sad .

I was so sad that he said that cause he's been so supportive through all my hair transformations but he said he does not like locs, even the girls that has been my inspiration. I don't know what my next step is going to be in the natural journey, but I've got to find one that's not so time consuming....

Last edited by kinksncurls on 21st December 2010, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st December 2010, 12:47 am

Hey kinksncurls,

Love the braids. I had planned to try this next week but I'm praying it doesn't take me 9 hours. I seem to be having the same issues that you're having with your hair. The back of my hair has those tight coils and they always coil back up even after I've detangled and it drives me bananas. It gets worse the more my hair grows.

Hopefully your husband will come around to the idea of you wearing locs. Since twists can resemble locs does he like the two strand twists you sometimes wear in your hair?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 21st December 2010, 1:07 am

Hey Krazycoils

You'll have to let me know how long it takes you when you do get around to trying them. Yeah I really dread detangling because of how tightly coiled my hair is.

He likes the two strand twists when I do them, but he doesn't like the locs, even the ones started from two strand twists. I showed him the most beautiful head of locs I have EVER seen, I mean this girls hair was gorgeous and he still said he didn't like them *Shrugs*. Hopefully he'll come around, because the longer my hair gets the more I want to get locs. I would do them without his blessing if it came down to it but I want him to want me to get them...
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 21st December 2010, 10:56 pm

Hey knc!! i think locs would look goooorgeous on you and hopefully he comes around cuz that would be perfect esp since u lookin for somethin less time consuming ya know! i feel u on that which is why i cant WAIT to just cut my hair bounce

i like the QB amla butter MUCH BETTER than the burdock. my hair is thick too so the butter is just more moisturizing for me and thicker consistency. i gave my butter away but at $16 a pop i can see why u'd wanna find some way to get rid of it, lol. have u tried the olive n honey balm? that's also a KEEPER for thick hair too. i use it in my dc's and also pair it with the burdock or amla's.

i was thinkin i wanted to try mahog's wrap set but i already KNOW my shyt would come out totally LEFT from her's cuz her hair is just finer! i look forward to ur updo's and styling on the "to do" list.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 23rd December 2010, 1:10 am

Hey nubie
Thanks! I hope he comes around too, because I really want to get locs and I want him to be okay with them when I do. Did you decide on when you're going to cut your hair?
Yeah you were right, the burdock root creme was just too light for my hair. Haha, and yes I have to find an alternative use for it so I can get the most out of my cash Smile I haven't tried the olive n honey balm, but I've heard good things about it. I'm thinking for now I'm going to give my current routine a try for a few months and cut down on the pjism at the same time Smile but if I ever re-visit qhemet's I'll definitely give it a try.
I'll post pictures the next time I try any of the updo's on my to do list.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd December 2010, 1:52 am

Based on your current hair routine, I think locs would be perfect for you. Show your Hubby her locs. I love all the styles she rocks too. I want to loc my hair in a couple of years. I was thinking about sisterlocs but when I saw her locs, I was like OMG!!! Loves it!!! Now I am not sure if I want sisterlocs or traditional locs.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 23rd December 2010, 4:04 pm

Hi Lynnie,
Thanks for the link. Her locs are gorgeous. I've been browsing her videos all morning. I wanted sister locs at first too but then I heard that they require alot of maintainance and that you have to go into a salon to get them re-tightened. When I get locs, I probably won't start them myself but I want to be able to maintain them myself. I'd probably want mine a little smaller than hers (moreo's) but not by much.
I showed him three different videos of moreo's hair and he just gave me the side eye. Locs would be perfect for me.... I'll keep showing him pics and hope he comes around, cause I'm going to get them eventually. Do you know much about locs? I spoke to a loctian who told me that it is best to have someone start and maintain the locs (she does locs by starting them as 2 strand twists) but I don't want to have to go in a salon that often.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 24th December 2010, 3:59 pm

I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! I stopped by a few journals but in case I missed anyone I hope every one has a great holiday season Smile

I'll be braided up for the New Year. I love the holiday season. My husband and I met 7 years ago today, and we'll be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary on the 30th.

Happy Holidays
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 27th December 2010, 12:15 pm

Hi KnC

Just wanted to stop by and see how your holidays are going so far. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas, and have great plans for your anniversary and New Years.

I'm sorry that your husband is not on board with your decision to loc, but just keep talking to him and showing him all the different things you can do with your locs.

Love your braids....9 hrs!!! I would keep them in for 9 weeks; a week for every hour it took to braid it. Shocked

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 28th December 2010, 11:46 pm

Hi KnH,

The hubby and I had a great Christmas, we spent it with my family for the first time and it was great. We usually spend Christmas with his family in Iowa. Hope you had a great Christmas/ holiday season as well.

I'm hoping that he'll come around to it. If I still want them, I'll get them anyway but hopefully he'll warm up to the idea by the time I do. I started doing my research on locs and it seems they may be a lot of work too and if that is the case, then maybe I'll just keep my hair loose but short, I'm not sure yet....

Haha I'm seriously entertaining the idea of keeping them in for 9 weeks. My hair doesn't lock very easily, I made it to six weeks with my braids in the summer with no problem. I probably won't make it to 9 but I'll probably try keeping them in for 6 weeks instead of 4 and that might make it worth it for me
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 30th December 2010, 1:30 am

Hair update:

I don't think that my ends like being sealed with an oil or a butter. Last week after I did my braids, I just moisturized the ends of my hair with shea moisture hair milk and I didn't seal with anything like I usually do, and my ends were super soft all week.

This week I followed my regular wash routine. I washed with suave clarifying shampoo and then deep conditioned with suave coconut conditioner and coconut oil like I usually do. I moisturized with shea moisture hair milk, and while my hair was still damp I sealed my ends this week with a butter and my ends are crunchy and not as soft compared to last week.

I'm busy the rest of the week so I'm going to leave it instead of re-washing but next week when I wash my braids I'm not going to use a butter to seal in the moisture. I'm just going to use my leave-in and see how my hair does. It just goes to show that not everything works for everyone.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th December 2010, 2:01 am

kinksncurls wrote:Hi Lynnie,
Thanks for the link. Her locs are gorgeous. I've been browsing her videos all morning. I wanted sister locs at first too but then I heard that they require alot of maintainance and that you have to go into a salon to get them re-tightened. When I get locs, I probably won't start them myself but I want to be able to maintain them myself. I'd probably want mine a little smaller than hers (moreo's) but not by much.
I showed him three different videos of moreo's hair and he just gave me the side eye. Locs would be perfect for me.... I'll keep showing him pics and hope he comes around, cause I'm going to get them eventually. Do you know much about locs? I spoke to a loctian who told me that it is best to have someone start and maintain the locs (she does locs by starting them as 2 strand twists) but I don't want to have to go in a salon that often.

I have recently subscribed to a bunch of loc naturals YT channels. I know locs can be started with coils, two strand twist or braids. To me it seems like maintaining traditional locs on your own would be the easiest. You will still be able to use products on your hair too. With sisterlocks, they dont recommend you use anything other than the "sisterlock" products.

There are a ton of videos of how to retwist/re-tighten locs on YouTube. There are also people who start their own locs too. I believe qochemist started her locs.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 30th December 2010, 2:44 am

Thanks Lynnie,
That does help. I'll keep researching and I'll probably start them with small twists, I just like the way they look that way. I definitely don't want to go the sister locs route because I want to be able to use my own products and re-tighten myself. I'll browse qochemist and a few others and see what I come up with
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 8th January 2011, 11:10 pm

I don't have much of an update, my hair has been in natural braids for going on two weeks now. I prefer them when they are a little older. I have been experimenting with updo's and have come to realize that my hair in the front is significantly shorter than my hair in the back. I can put my braids in a ponytail but I have to pin-up the front.

This was just a simple pin-up that I did for a day out yesterday when I didn't want hair in my face.

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up - Page 4 01910

kinksncurls ~ Still braided up - Page 4 01710

I have been spritzing my hair with a mixture of shea moisture milk, water, and grape seed oil and my hair loves it. It stays soft and my scalp doesn't get too itchy or too greasy. Grape seed oil is now my second favorite oil next to coconut oil which I use to deep condition.

I also have been applying either shea moisture hair milk to my ends or the burdock root creme to my ends and my ends are in much better shape. I've figured out that my ends like lighter products, and doesn't really liked to be sealed with a butter (it makes it crunchy and dry). I plan on keeping in these braids for another 3 weeks or until they get too fuzzy to wear with a headband.

Then I'm not sure what I'll do next. I used to be so much more adventurous when my hair was shorter....
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 12th January 2011, 9:46 pm

I've gotten lazy about my ends again. I know they really need some moisture and TLC but I've been so busy lately (ironic i guess for someone that's unemployed) but looking for work is so much work!

I want to do a length check, since I've done all that trimming, and check my ends for splits/knots when I moisturize. If I do I'll post pics. I'm starting that new growth challenge because I like keep track of my progress, and it'll keep me motivated to take the pictures.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next