CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 Months Post Relaxer

+34
foreverfashionista
naturellebeaute
MissCrys87
jazzwife
DancingDee
ThatGirl!
1sammybaby
creolebeauty1
CrissyQ
willi77
CurlsDivine
jadore04
cha_phylicia
purplec18
Renny
Sunshyne
transitioning?
MzMorenaza
JMP82
letha
DivineFavor
gemofacurlgirl
Naturally Esq
haymaj
Pinkpearls
netta
dyamonds10
journey2fr3edom
Lavendar
kdenise
CarmelCurls83
mrsmackey
MsKendrala
*CurlyNikki*
38 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

7 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty 7 months in the house!!!

Post by ThatGirl! 29th December 2010, 3:54 pm

It has been an adventurous 7 months. I am learning more and more each day. Transitioning is hard. And the urge to Big Chop is definitely there but I know I would regret it. But those relaxed ends are a beast. Each week I go back and forth between wanting to do the Big Chop and wear a TWA and wanting to see how my natural hair would look like with some length. I guess I will eventually decide. But for the moment let me enjoy my 7 month accomplishment!!!!

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

7 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty 7 months!!!

Post by DancingDee 4th January 2011, 2:02 am

I'll be 7mths tomorrow!! Yay!!!
I didn't think i would make it to 7 days so 7 months is really big for me. I'm so proud of myself, this change has forced me to accept myself for all that I am and for the way God made me. Yayyy! I'm so happy Smile dance
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

7 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty Re: 7 Months Post Relaxer

Post by jazzwife 5th January 2011, 10:58 pm

Congratulations Dancing!!!! I didn't know what to expect myself, but transitioning has been a great experience for me in acceptance also.
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCrys87 6th January 2011, 9:24 pm

I'm 7 months in...didn't realize it had been that long! Time has flown by. I feel like I'm still in the routine of using hair for relaxed hair. I am NOT ready to BC, so I've just been caring for my hair as I was before. After some reading and research, I've realized this isn't going to work. I'm wondering what I should do (this weekend) to help my hair out. Part of the reason I was so excited about going natural was to have my hair look natural.

My hair is SUPER SUPER SUPER thick and the breakage isn't bad, but I'm over the straight hair thing. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks. Very Happy
MissCrys87
MissCrys87

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 8th January 2011, 12:39 am

@ MissCrys - have you tried braidouts, twistouts, or rodsets yet?
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCrys87 8th January 2011, 1:56 pm

I have. I think i used too much gel though. Any suggestions on products I should use next time?
MissCrys87
MissCrys87

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 11th January 2011, 3:56 pm

I prefer a dry braidout, using my water/conditioner spritz to dampen, and whipped shea to seal before I braid. This gives me the best definition, and also offers enough hold (w/o gel). If you do try it, let me know how it works out!
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by naturellebeaute 10th February 2011, 6:29 am

Hi! I'm new to this thread and I'm also a little bit past 7 months post. It has definitely been difficult and frustrating at times but I try to keep my goals in mind. I plan on being a long term transitioner of about 1.5-2 years (taking it day by day), but i go back and forth between just wanting the relaxed ends gone! I imagine how freeing that would be. But really I just cant even picture myself with less than bob length hair. Vain i know...please dont judge me. I absolutely have fallen in love with this site though. It is truly a goldmine of a resource. One question I do have for everyone else is do you have issues keeping your new growth soft and moisturized? I've done so much research and do every single thing i know to do but it always seems really dry to me. My relaxed ends are fine. Its just the natural part. I dont know whats up with that... confused
naturellebeaute
naturellebeaute

Back to top Go down

7 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty 7 months :)

Post by foreverfashionista 11th February 2011, 4:39 am

I'm consider myself a transitioning newbie. I've experienced breakage in my nape and temple area Sad. My problem is building and sticking with a regimen. The thought of all the different products to try, routines, and techniques is intimidating. Though I've been transitioning for 7.5 months, my transition has mostly been me just not relaxing my hair. It's been pretty tough to maintain since it's my junior year in HS, but no matter what I refuse to turn back to relaxers.

Also my grandmother's constant reminders of breakage and telling me i might as well make it like a boy's aren't so encouraging. Thoughts or input?

I'll post pics when i get the chance.

foreverfashionista

Back to top Go down

Post by naturellebeaute 11th February 2011, 2:44 pm

@foreverfashionista its good to hear you are in despite the challenges, and there will be many. Its all a learning process. I think simplicity is the best thing when building a regimen. I too struggled with what to do, when to do it, and what products to use. Im at about the same point as you in my transition and found that the less i do and the less complex I make it, the better my results are. I cant be extremely frustrating at times not to mention I also had a problem with PJism. If i heard from a natural a product was good then i wanted to try it. I've learned that everything doensn't create the same results for all people's hair. Try and find someone with a similar texture, thickness, and/or length and mimic what they use. Learn to read ingredient labels and remember what worked well and what didnt. Im starting to do that now. But overall I suggest sticking to one combination of products for a solid month or at least a few weeks so you can see how your hair truly responds. On wash days use one cleansing method, one for deep conditioning/detangling, and one for leave in/styling. On a day to day basis it depends what your style is as far as moisturizing (water/water-based) and sealing (oil). Unless you know somwthing doesn't work immediately after use, keep using and watch what happens. Hope this helps!
naturellebeaute
naturellebeaute

Back to top Go down

7 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty Transitioning thoughts

Post by tessdoha 23rd February 2011, 8:18 am

Well I could call myself a newbie with transitioning, this is my third time trying but this time I've gone past the 4 months yaaay. Unfortunately my hair is severely damaged at the names from too much chemicals throughout the years that its soo dry and breaking off....I don't even know what my hair type is.....I've gone for a semi BC but I'm not ready to get rid of all the length yet but its soo frustrating! Can someone tell me how often should I wash condition hair (isn't once a week enough or should I co-wash mid week)?

tessdoha

Back to top Go down

Post by foreverfashionista 23rd February 2011, 9:53 pm

@naturellebeaute thanks for the advice, I'm going to try different products every month and a half and stick with what my hair responds best to.

@tessdoha I deep condition once a week, and cowash if/when I can. It usually depends on my level of dryness. I'd say condition once a week and see if it needs more i.e. cowashing later on. Also, instead of focusing so much on conditioning, maybe it needs moisture from the moisturizing and sealing department. That's where my chronic dryness was from, I just wasn't moisturizing and sealing daily. I learned that no one can tell you when to condition or moisturize, you can get an idea, but it's best to watch your hair and learn for yourself what it responds best to. Best of luck Smile

foreverfashionista

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 24th February 2011, 12:53 am

I'll be 7 months in 2 days, SO BORING. I'm hiding my hair for now with weaves until I get more new growth. hopefully by July (a year post) I'll be at least APL & then I'll start wearing natural styles.
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

http://helloprettyy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cmonewms 1st March 2011, 9:40 pm

I am exactly 7 months today.. and i am so happy with my decision to go natural.. im so in love with my curls and coils and dont ever see my self going back to perms or even straightening my hair again i got it blown out a week and a half ago and was so angry because i missed my curls.. the growth is great and im really getting the itch to BC ..but i think ill stay committed and do the long transition
cmonewms
cmonewms

http://extraordinarythought.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturellebeaute 9th March 2011, 11:50 pm

@tessdoha do you use shampoo or are you just co-washing? Either way I would say wash your hair when it feel like it needs it. I try not to go over 1 week between washes and I deep condition every single time! I would also say focus on conditioning and not so much shampooing if that makes sense. Lately I've been dry deep conditioning and it has worked out well for me.

@foreverfashionista i think that is a good plan. good luck with your transition! and remeber we're always hear to help out!

@cmonewms its so refreshing to hear you say that. i feel the exact same way. even though at times transitioning can be tough and seemingly a lot of work, we all know that its just a phase that we have to go thru and the reward will be so much greater than this transitional period. one question, how long are you planning on transitioning?
naturellebeaute
naturellebeaute

Back to top Go down

Post by cmonewms 11th March 2011, 12:06 am

@naturellebeaute... not sure.. i said at least a year..maybe longer..but i got some cut off and im applying for an internship at this camp so if i get it ill probably big chop this may just about 3 months shy of a year
cmonewms
cmonewms

http://extraordinarythought.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_t 17th March 2011, 1:12 am

I'm 7 months in! I've been wearing braid outs and twist outs, and I just got a sew in to give my hair a break. So far, it has been going well with a few days when I get irritated, but overall I am loving seeing my natural hair come in. My husband has been so supportive and that makes this transition way easier.

sweet_t
sweet_t

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3