CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna For Gray Hair

+17
Madeaj
CurlyMee
Lotus18
anna20204
nefratitiuk
carfi366
MicaiahTy
Thetruthisoutthere
DvaAuNaturel
Estiscurls
ccoach
R2D2
LaFemmeRouge
Pinkpearls
envizionj
NylaCoils
new2curl
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Henna For Gray Hair - Page 2 Empty Re: Henna For Gray Hair

Post by NylaCoils 28th April 2010, 10:49 pm

Pink Pearls- I also recommend that you take som e hair from a comb or brush and do a test patch. You can freeze henna. So, mix a batch and while you wait on the results of the patch - freeze it.

To use the henna- unthaw- allow to get to room temperature and apply like a relaxer.

I used to put all kinds of stuff in my henna. I dont anymore. I like the yogurt because it isnt as runny as a tea or acv batch of henna.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 29th April 2010, 10:48 pm

Nyla, Thanks for the info. I had planned to henna this Friday, but I will wait and do a patch test first. Have you used indigo? I bought a few packages and I'm still trying to decide if I want to use it. Maybe I should wait and see how my henna patch turns out.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 30th April 2010, 10:53 am

I have tried indigo! Just because, I like the reddish color that henna gives me! It totally covers my grey! You see all these highlights and I love it!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 30th April 2010, 12:26 pm

Thanks Nyla! I saw the highlights on your pic...beautiful! Well, I'll just wait and see how my patch test comes out.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 1st May 2010, 12:44 am

I have white-white gray and I color it with regular dye every 2- 3 months - yes, I let my white grow out because, while I don't like the white, I don't want to dry my hair out tooo much (if at all).

My roots start showing in 2 weeks!! What I want to know is can I use Henna like every 2 weeks (or every week even) just on the new growth and maybe do all my hair say every month?
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 1st May 2010, 6:11 pm

Yes, you can touch up as often as you like with henna and indigo. Until now, I had been doing the full treatments but last time, I experimented with a touch up and it went very well. Like you, I see white hairs in 2 weeks. I might start now only doing full treatments every 2 months since I have now saturated my hair with the henna/indigo.

For you though, I think having a full treatment every month and touch up whenever you need it would be a good way to start. After about 3 or 4 treatments it will be much easier to keep the colour of the new growth and the rest of the hair even and perhaps you can space out the full treatments.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 1st May 2010, 7:45 pm

Thank you. This sounds like a perfect way to keep my roots covered and not have to worry about drying out my hair.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 4th May 2010, 12:26 am

Thanks everyone for the great henna info. Thanks Nyla! I did the test patch and it turned out good, so I decided to henna last weekend. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th May 2010, 7:01 pm

I just henna'd again today. 3rd treatment. Love the way my hair feels but disappointed that I still see gray strands. Thinking about permanent color. The salon I used to go to specializes in working with natural hair and they do fabulous color. I am just worried about damaging my hair although I know they'll take care of it. The henna is nice but I do not want to have to cover my gray every 2-3 weeks and still see gray hair.

Right now I'm doing a ratio of approx 70% indigo, 30% henna. I don't want reddish har.

How do you all make sure all the gray is covered? And what have you done to make the gray color coverage last longer?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 4th May 2010, 8:02 pm

DVaAuNaturel,

That's odd that your greys are so resistent. What is the consistency of your henna/indigo mix? If it's too runny then you might find that the greys are not covered sufficiently - I remember the only time that my greys weren't well covered I suspected I had made my mix too runny. So the following application I made it a fair bit thicker so that it was like mashed potatoes and noticed the difference in colour uptake. If the mix is thicker, you can push it and squeeze it through the strands. I also have a thick toothbrush to comb it through the layers of grey hair at the root. My hair is very thick.

Also are you applying to clean hair? Keep oils and conditioners out of your mix as some people have noticed that this interferes with dye uptake on the strands.

If you don't like red then perhaps the two step method is the way to go? This involves applying the henna first, wash out and then applying the indigo. Doing the two step might help you isolate what is going wrong too. You can see if the henna is depositing sufficiently and whether it's indigo that's the problem. If so, you could try another supplier of henna or indigo.

I do the two step method and find that my greys are very well covered.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 4th May 2010, 8:03 pm

@Pinkpearls,

Your hair looks lovely! I am very impressed with the natural looking shine Smile
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 4th May 2010, 8:44 pm

Thanks R2D2! Very Happy
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 5th May 2010, 8:20 am

Hi - I'm new to CN (been stalking for weeks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) and finally joined because I needed help with single-strand knots.

I sport a 4b TWA with pen-spring coils.

I henna - have been for a few months of trial and error, and although I experience dryness, I appreciate that I'm using a wholesome natural product instead of the PD dyes that caused my relaxed edges to break off.

When I bc'd January 2009, I transitioned from "glazes" to LUSH caca-noir, which left my hair soft but didn't color my gray.

I just posted the following text as "anonymous" on Nikki's 'Do you henna' tab...

In response to the May 3rd post, I too have gray hair (a little gray headband). I used 'Light Mountain - Cover the Gray' from my co-op store, but they stopped carrying it. I bought a few boxes to carry me over.

I get GREAT results from my henna-indigo process. The key is to let your henna "marinate" long, but apply your indigo AS SOON AS THE SURFACE TURNS BLUE!

Indigo releases its dye WITH A QUICKNESS, so apply it within minutes! Use HOT - NOT BOILING WATER on indigo - boiling water RUINS the dye.

I also use distilled water and glass/plastic utensils and bowls during my mixing.

Apply indigo AFTER RINSING YOUR HENNA OUT WITH PLAIN WATER - save your deep conditioning for LAST. I think shampooing and conditioing in-between the henna-indigo will change your results.

Like R2D2 suggested, I don't use oils in my mix. I use the TWO-STEP method, and I make my indigo paste a little thinner since it tends to crumble out more when it's pasty.

No two heads are the same - trial and error worked for me.

Hope this helps!

Stay blessed!
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 16th May 2010, 10:45 am

Ok cn family, I did my first henna. Can we say OMG in a good way! My hair feels wonderful. Now my roots are 100% white. After the henna they are 100% copper red. Which I LOVE. While the rest of my hair is medium brown. I don't mind the red roots. I think it will darken as it gets older. I'm right in the middle of editing the videos but I had to testify. My hair feels so different and I LOVE it. I will post photos later today. I just want to say thank you all for sharing your experiences it has really blessed me. I'm not scared to henna any longer!

Woohoo!
MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 22nd May 2010, 5:55 pm

I so want to henna but afraid my gray will look flaming red or orangey. Any suggests to tone down the natural red base in the henna?
Thanks
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by nefratitiuk 23rd May 2010, 6:57 pm

A one or two-step henna and indigo mix will tone down the red. Check out hennaforhair.com for more info on mixing them for colour ranging from light brown to black.
nefratitiuk
nefratitiuk

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 24th May 2010, 12:00 am

Thanks Nefratitiuk, I will check out the website.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by anna20204 24th May 2010, 2:48 am

Like all hair color, even the most permanent, your roots will start
to show between 2 ½ to 4 weeks after coloring. If you've been using a
gentle, color-safe shampoo and conditioner, the roots show because your
hair has grown. Not because the color has been stripped.The myth
has been that gray hair can't hold on to henna. But the truth is, you
can successfully color your gray with henna, get a fabulous color, and
have it last as long as any other color.______________________________________________________________
SEO Link Building |Link Building Company

anna20204

Back to top Go down

Henna For Gray Hair - Page 2 Empty Henna for Gray

Post by Lotus18 9th November 2010, 11:09 pm

Hi Everyone; I need some suggestions and I have a few questions. Is dye release when the henna turns brown? How soon can you apply the henna after dye release? I can not use organge juice and I can not use indigo, because of headaches and itchy scalp. I used Apple juice with Celebration(Jamila 2009). I let it sit for about six hours before I put it on my hair. I left it on my hair for seven hours. most of my hair is chocolate brown, however my grays roots are orange/cooper color. I want my gray roots darker. What can I do if indigo is not an option.

Lotus18

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMee 9th November 2010, 11:22 pm

PinkPearls I'm confused too about some things. Check out CurllyNickki's tutorial though it is informational. I posted a thread "to Henna or not to Henna" with my questions but no one replied Neutral I plan to do it this week, my BIGGEST concern is whether it will straighten my curl in the front.

CurlyMee

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 9th November 2010, 11:40 pm

@Lotus18 - test henna for dye release by putting a little of the paste on the palm of your hand for a minute. Wipe it off and see if its got color. When you are waiting for dye release make sure to press the plastic wrap against the henna paste so air doesn't get to it while it marinates. I got the celebration too and my test dye started releasing after sitting 2 hours. You can reapply henna to just your roots for a longer time.

@CurlyMee - It has been a long time since I did henna, this is the first time in about 12 years so its on virgin hair. What I read on the internet is that henna coats the hair and the extra weight can loosen curl, but its different for everyone. But it seems some people have had good success using Amla to revive the curl. Do a search on this forum for amla. And check out Henna for Hair's forum. They have a special section for relaxed and natural hair.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMee 9th November 2010, 11:45 pm

Thanks Madea J for the info. Will check into the Amla...

CurlyMee

Back to top Go down

Post by Choctaw 10th November 2010, 10:09 am

amla and brahmi mixed with henna will tone down the red deposited on gray hair. Southeast India ladies say that frequent use of amla and brahmi will prevent premature graying.

Choctaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotus18 10th November 2010, 12:24 pm

Re: Henna for gray roots
Madeaj

Thanks for the information. What did you use to mix with your celebration and how much of each item did you use. After you notice dye release, how soon did you apply it to your hair and how long did you leave it on your hair.

Lotus18

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 10th November 2010, 12:54 pm

I used red zinger herbal tea, white tea, distilled water, pectin. I am using a gelled henna recipe I saw on Smooth Gelled Henna henna for hair.
Scroll down to the recipes, I'm using the Smooth gelled Henna, it says untried, but I emailed Fia and she said that is only method she uses now. It easier to wash out and she gets the same results.

I haven't applied it to my head yet. lol. I just did the test on thursday. I wanted to see what the results for oxidizing was before I use it. I put the test hair in the henna mixture about an hour after dye release. So about three hours after mixing. I left the hair in for 3 hours, I was impatient. My henna'd grays have a deep coppery tone to them.

I plan to leave the henna in my hair for at least 3 hours maybe longer if I can stand it. I only have a few gray strands so copper highlights will be fine. I'll probably wash it out before bed and put some oil and deep conditioner on to sleep in.

I am mixing up my henna today and putting in on tonight. I am off tomorrow so I figure I have time to walk around and clean house with conditioner on my head.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next